• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Shovel Knight Developer Announces a Brand New Game, Mina the Hollower

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

display

display

Kickstarter here:

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Day fucking one. Looks amazing. I'm on board anything Yacht Club does. With that said, I still want a proper Shovel Knight sequel.
I only ever played the OG and never realized they put out 3 additional games.

The stand alone & Treasure Trove version are both on sale now. I'll probably pick them up and give them a playthrough rather than do the Kickstarter.

SpiceRacz

Just sounds like an excuse to cheapen development costs.
So many indies make that move to justify having to spend less time on art and animation. For small indies I'm ok with it, but not with already estabilished companies.

I said: LOW RES (pixel art) CRAP.
Metal Slug and Pocky and Rocky are examples of good high resolution pixel art.

I'm just kiddin' bby

TYRiAX

Have loved everything YC related so far, so chances are high I'll be picking this up - however after MightyNumber9 i promised to never to Kickstart software again!!

PIXEL ART CRAP!?

fuck-you-walter-white.gif

Haha, I love pixel art as much as the next guy and I like that they’re targeting some sort of fake compatibility with older systems but C’MON!

Target N64, PS1, Dreamcast, something a little more advanced.

I saw the Bloodborne PS1 demake came out today and there’s more love than ever for the early 3D era.

I’d just love to see Yacht Club hit one of those targets with their skill and presumed budget.

Other than that, I think it looks alright. Not totally in love with the art style but I know they’ll do it justice which is enough for me.

Day Uño brother.

Holammer

Enough with low resolution pixel art crap.
If it was some solo indie dev, fine I guess, but coming from Yatch Club that has the resources to make something more detailed?

I expected something of this level at this point

pocky-and-rocky-reshrined.gif
I'm with you, but increasing resolution and color count multiples the work required. That's why Indies go for the NES palette.

Earlier there was a thread on another indie game that took "inspiration" from 2D Zelda and it looked almost like a shameless rip-off.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling similar vibes here; Many of the graphics look WAY TOO LITERALLY like stuff pulled from Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, and the "Castlevania with furries" art style spin doesn't sound so creative when Bloodstained is still fresh on my mind.

It's disappointing because Shovel Knight actually at least took some creativities with it's mechanics to carve some of it's own identity from it's Capcom Ducktales inspirations.

bender

What time is it?
I enjoyed Shovel Knight but I'm not sure why they need Kickstarter. Surely they've made enough and have enough publisher relationships to not need crowd funding again. There was also a time when reward tiers offered would be lower than what the game would eventually retail at and I can't imagine that's the case here.

Notabueno

Banned
they really know how to do good retro pixel art. you could think this is actual NES hardware running this.

everything is better than Realistic graphics and wannabe hollywood shit

Pixel art in 2016 was already third tier crap for losers, Shovel Knight was amazing (until they started to milk it), but now fuck that and any game that has lazy 8bit graphics that nobody gives a retro shit about.

Pixel art in 2016 was already third tier crap for losers, Shovel Knight was amazing (until they started to milk it), but now fuck that and any game that has lazy 8bit graphics that nobody gives a retro shit about.
Dude, shut your techwhore mouth, you're making my own critiques of this look bad simply by being in the same thread as your ridiculous hot takes..

Notabueno

Banned
Earlier there was a thread on another indie game that took "inspiration" from 2D Zelda and it looked almost like a shameless rip-off.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling similar vibes here; Many of the graphics look WAY TOO LITERALLY like stuff pulled from Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, and the "Castlevania with furries" art style spin doesn't sound so creative when Bloodstained is still fresh on my mind.

It's disappointing because Shovel Knight actually at least took some creativities with it's mechanics to carve some of it's own identity from it's Capcom Ducktales inspirations.

This?

Lol...

Khalborg

Neo Member
Just sounds like an excuse to cheapen development costs.
So many indies make that move to justify having to spend less time on art and animation. For small indies I'm ok with it, but not with already estabilished companies with lots of resources.

I said: LOW RES (pixel art) CRAP.
Metal Slug and Pocky and Rocky are examples of good high resolution pixel art.
I'm not sure how Kickstarted funding differs from other game dev projects- but wouldn't it make sense to target platforms that are easier to develop/release on then work on higher resolutions/ bigger consoles at a later time?

I was referring to the sprites resolution, not the output resolution.

In 2D games the sprites are created once and that's it.
My issue is that a company as big as Yatch Club has the resources to hire artists that can make high resolution pixel art sprites (e.g. Metal Slug, Pocky and Rocky)

Instead, they're doing a Kickstarter to fund a game that is at the same level (if not lower) than their first game Shovel Knight, when they're were basically nobodies.
Except they're not nobodies anymore.

Some people can argue that they "love retro pixel art" and yada yada, but we all know indie devs intentionally choose game boy and NES level of sprite resolution just to cheapen the development cost and reduce time to make the sprites and animations.
I'm ok when solo indie devs do it, because it's usually people with very little time to make their games in their spare time.

But there's no excuse for a company as big as Yatch Club to pull this crap.
The "excuse", not that they need one, is that they prefer it? They want to do it, and many gamers love it. Everyone just doesn't have the same opinion as you do.

MrA

going to be funded in a day, likely to be a million seller, clearly lots of people like this art, there are 1000s of games with every art-style under the sun, why are you getting so worked up about this one game using the visual style the company is known for? go and enjoy what you like and don't worry about what other people enjoy, that's part of being an adult.... or perhaps you are a small boy

anyway
looks like a pallet choice and the design looks really GameBoy color-ish, don't particularly care for it

MrA

I'm talking about 32-bit 2D pixel graphics.
we get those,
spend 5 minutes and you'll find plenty that is already out
fight n rage, horizon chase, legend of the darkwitch, mercenary saga, blazing chrome, a little research goes a long way

Enough with low resolution pixel art crap.
If it was some solo indie dev, fine I guess, but coming from Yatch Club that has the resources to make something more detailed?

I expected something of this level at this point

pocky-and-rocky-reshrined.gif
What game is that? BTW Pocket Dungeon is a clear step up graphically from shovel knight

Top Bottom