• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Shovel Knight Developer Announces a Brand New Game, Mina the Hollower

Yeah, it sure is fun (ab)using your influence to milk money from Kickstarter with low budget projects that do literally nothing different than every other indie game in the market. Will it do well? Who cares, they'll get enough funding to make 3 or 4 games like these, and can keep using the same retro excuse over and over again.

And thank God for that.
I've never played a block puzzle game as interesting or fun as Pocket dungeon btw

cireza

you could think this is actual NES hardware running this
NES cannot display such high resolution. NES cannot scroll different huge portions of BG at different speed like shown here. NES can only display 16 colors at once, and only trough tiles of maximum 4 colors. People need to stop saying that Yacht Club are respecting NES constraints : they never have.

People that respect retro constraints are M2. They made a Game Gear game a couple years ago (GG Aleste 3). And a System 16 game as well (Fantasy Zone). They deserve the praise. And it is a lot more difficult to achieve this.

Disappointed overall. A Kickstarter ? Seriously they have plenty of money already. And this art style again ? Can't they move into 16 bits territory already ?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Enough with low resolution pixel art crap.
If it was some solo indie dev, fine I guess, but coming from Yatch Club that has the resources to make something more detailed?

I expected something of this level at this point

pocky-and-rocky-reshrined.gif

h1j15zb1n7k21.jpg

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Sure, they want to preserve some lost art to prevent it from getting extinct.
You might be kidding, but this is what people should have done for a lot of the art and expertise that was lost after the first 3D consoles came up and suddenly everything had to be 3D - even if it all looked like utter crap for the first 3-5 years of it.

demonstr8

I know the game will be fantastic based on the design of Shovel Knight but the game looks crappy and the main character looks terrible to me. Also NES/GBC has nothing over SNES/GBA graphics except nostalgia so it's just cheap to do it.

SegaShack

Earlier there was a thread on another indie game that took "inspiration" from 2D Zelda and it looked almost like a shameless rip-off.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling similar vibes here; Many of the graphics look WAY TOO LITERALLY like stuff pulled from Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, and the "Castlevania with furries" art style spin doesn't sound so creative when Bloodstained is still fresh on my mind.

It's disappointing because Shovel Knight actually at least took some creativities with it's mechanics to carve some of it's own identity from it's Capcom Ducktales inspirations.
I totally agree, it seems they absolutely ripped off the oracle games.

I love the GBC era / style of games but the oracle sprites plus furry character are big turn offs for me.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I kinda hate the artstyle, it looks cheap as hell.

Especially after playing a game with incredible pixel art like blasphemous.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You mean to tell me that after 8 year of cashing in on a single IP and its half a dozen spinoffs that made them the indie darling of the decade, all Yacht Club can come up with is a blatant Link’s Awakening clone?

It looks good and will probably play good, not doubting this.
I’d expect something on a different vibe after all the time they spent on Shovel Knight, though.
Indies can be so much more than blatant 8/16-bit ripoffs, and I’m not one to ignore a good game regardless of production values. But when ALL you do is *ahem* “homages” to old classics, it’s no wonder some people won’t give indies a chance.

Asking $100 for a physical copy of a GBC game… and people complain about EA and NFTs.

JCK75

It looks creative and awesome and I will buy it day one but.....
when we go retro can we maybe aim more for the SNES era than the NES? pixel graphics can look amazing and when not hardware constrained maybe use a few more colors.

Fbh

The game looks pretty fun but I'm not digging the art style. The whole NES aesthetic gimmick was ok in Shovel Knight but at this point I'm tired of it

Griffon

I love Shovel Knight and all its expansions but... why do they need a kickstarter? Feels weird after how successful they've been.

I'll be playing it the day its available but I ain't chipping in for any crowd funding.
Well its just a glorified preorder. Nothing shocking about that.

(Daily reminder to never preorder anything, people)

Last edited:

Neff

They are specifically targeting GBC limitations, similar to what they did with Shovel Knight & NES.

GBC absolutely couldn't run this game, the same way a NES couldn't possibly run Shovel Knight, which kind of defeats the purpose of the indie propensity for faux-retro homage if you ask me.

you could think this is actual NES hardware running this.

No chance in hell.

Last edited:

Banned
No chance in hell.

yeah I mean more like a GameBoy Color of course. and yes they actually use the GBC color pallete and use some of the limitations the GBC has like no sprite rotations, no zooming sprites only 4 colors per tile and every tile is 8x8.

also the game runs at a resolution of 256x144 which is basically GBC but widescreen

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved Shivel Knight and love that pixel GBC artstyles it has. Will play this for sure.

Top Bottom