• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The FTC Trial Unmasks Xbox’s Ambitions

icerock

Microsoft didn’t want to make a gold toilet but it kind of admit that it did.​

The other part of Xbox’s narrative that has changed depending on whether it’s talking to regulators in court or to journalists is how it’s doing in the so-called console wars, whose importance to Xbox clearly differs depending on the audience. In 2020, Xbox told me that the strategy was to reach gamers where they are, whether that’s on the subscription service Game Pass or on Windows PCs. But in internal documents and testimony, Xbox admitted that it would have liked to sell games exclusively on Xbox consoles… it started to bundle these titles on Windows to grow revenue, according to Spencer. “That’s not something Sony does,” he said in court.

In a panel with reporters earlier this month, Spencer echoed this, saying of Xbox’s strategy, “We’re going to focus on allowing player choice, but we know that console is kind of the core to how people think.”

Xbox is trying to play all sides here and is changing up its tune depending on who’s asking. The FTC trial has given us a unique look at what’s truly going on though: according to the internal documents, Microsoft executives saw their growth was slowing down and sought to build out a compelling way to reach mobile gamers using cloud gaming. When the U.K. antitrust regulator cited cloud gaming as a reason to block the deal, Microsoft revealed major shortcomings to the technology — issues that Spencer and Gluckstein had discussed in internal emails in 2019. The company hoped outwardly that casual mobile gamers would pick up Project xCloud, but internally, it feared that only hardcore gamers would give the cloud a try, and even they might not care. And even though Microsoft lags behind its console competitors, it’s fully intent on spending its way to the top, similar to what it tried with Mixer and its $10 million contracts to lure Twitch streamers.

An excerpt from what is a rare good read from IGN. Looks like the media is slowly smelling the BS which Xbox/Phil and Co. have been spouting over the years. I also wonder what Ryan McAffrey makes of this?

solidus12

Ryan Mcaffrey right now:

qRkKuZu.jpg

DJ12

An excerpt from what is a rare good read from IGN. Looks like the media is slowly smelling the BS which Xbox/Phil and Co. have been spouting over the years. I also wonder what Ryan McAffrey makes of this?
Just angling for a bigger payment.

"We can keep going down this route, or you can pay us more"

I said it the other day, Xbox and Spencer have been unmasked, but I got jumped on by one of the faithful.

Their presence in the console space is quite insidious as has been revealed; they want to buy their way to dominance, it seems nothing is off the table. How long Sony and Nintendo can hold them off if Acti-Blizz deal goes through is questionable.

Microsoft executives saw their growth was slowing down and sought to build out a compelling way to reach mobile gamers using cloud gaming. When the U.K. antitrust regulator cited cloud gaming as a reason to block the deal, Microsoft revealed major shortcomings to the technology — issues that Spencer and Gluckstein had discussed in internal emails in 2019. The company hoped outwardly that casual mobile gamers would pick up Project xCloud, but internally, it feared that only hardcore gamers would give the cloud a try

What tune is being changed here? Are they supposed to advertise their new product while admitting it might be shit?

the_master

Microsoft wants to win the console wars. What is new? Who wants not to win?
A company unsure of a success and telling the media it is a guaranteed hit. What is new? What company ever admitted doubt about a product they are about to release?
A console maker buying games to make them exclusive. What is new? Why would they buy games?

What? What is it?

//DEVIL//

I said it the other day, Xbox and Spencer have been unmasked, but I got jumped on by one of the faithful.

Their presence in the console space is quite insidious as has been revealed; they want to buy their way to dominance, it seems nothing is off the table. How long Sony and Nintendo can hold them off if Acti-Blizz deal goes through is questionable.
And Sony wants to kick them out by securing big games exclusive to their platform. Like I don't understand. How is this not a fucking logic for any company?

As if Sony won't have monopoly If MS gave up. It's the same fucking shit whatever side you wanna be on. Each company wants the other one out. It's not like Sony is securing big exclusives because they are afraid of their lives. They are doing it so no one buys an xbox. Period .

I am assuming even the judge is not that retard to know this. This court is to judge if MS got Activision, Is it going to give MS a fighting chance to compete, or is it going to kick Sony out of the gaming business.

We all know the answer to that one. But whatever let's see the final results .

As if MS will stand still if they lose. Dude they will buy every mid to small sized company they can get their hands on.

It's not really wise to go against a multi trillion company that is hell bent to be the Netflix in gaming.

But whatever I am not pro xbox or anything and I do love Playstation. I grew up on their system. So it will be fun to watch this to the end

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Microsoft just try to create a monopoly like they did with Windows, since, what ? 1995 ? Starting with Internet Explorer "drama" or before maybe ? I don't remember, it have been a long time since my last DOS 6.2 install.
That's always the problem with them, they do not try to win with the actual rules, they want to make the rules AND the standard, this is only way they know to "win" and communicate: erase competition totally and it's not healthy at all for consumers. This is the deep culture inside this massive corporation.
Just look at Windows market share and all softwares they make like Office.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's good to finally see the industry call out this snake oil salesman for what he is. It kinda sucks that it took them this long to figure it out when we were ringing alarm bells going back to 2017.

Dont fucking believe his lies. Lets hope that even if the deal goes through, it leaves his reputation in tatters and someone else takes over the reins.

DrFigs

It's good to finally see the industry call out this snake oil salesman for what he is. It kinda sucks that it took them this long to figure it out when we were ringing alarm bells going back to 2017.

Dont fucking believe his lies. Lets hope that even if the deal goes through, it leaves his reputation in tatters and someone else takes over the reins.

but this is normal seemingly?
FzuYsvqWAAEGCJ3

Sanepar

Microsoft just try to create a monopoly like they did with Windows, since, what ? 1995 ? With Internet Explorer "drama" or before maybe ? I don't remember, it have been a long time since my last DOS 6.2 install.
That's always the problem with them, they do not try to win with the actual rules, they want to make the rules AND the standard, this is only way they know to "win" and communicate: erase competition totally and it's not healthy at all for consumers.
Just look at Windows market share and all softwares they make like Office.
But what about gamepass? It give u all games for $1

DeaDPo0L84

It's not that they've woken up or anything, it's just evidence contrary to the narrative is too much at this point so they have to actually report facts. It's the same nonsense when it comes to politics.

Fanboys will always be fanboys.

He's been pretty good about it, but every now and then it "comes out" lol

He had another take where he says "Xbox was trying NOT to do that" aka 3rd party exclusives. If that is the case that's very dumb on their part. It worked in the past, very successfully actually... you can't tell me they sat on the side watching PlayStation do it, staring and then finally realizing they've put themselves in a deep hole, so deep that the only recourse they believe they have is to buy their way out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Xbox could definitely claw their way out of this it's just going to take some years... and I think MS wants to see more immediate results, which you know I think some 3rd party exclusives could accelerate.

From what I understand the judges already saw this information it's just people are getting this info from behind and some are acting like this info is new to the regulators but they already knew. So if that's true they were ok with all of this based on their latest ruling which has little to do with any of these news reveals.

If Microsoft toned down the cloud talk they may have let it pass the first time, crazy stuff.

Top Bottom