• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Can somebody please post Druckmann's tweet?

d05LbG1.png

StuBurns

Banned
Except Kotaku was right. Their original story talked about Versus XIII being canceled or being reworked as the next numbered FF. Either way fact of the matter is Versus XIII will never see the light of day and isn't coming out to the platform it was originally announced for. That's a cancellation.

Kotaku wasn't wrong.
No, Kotaku were full of shit.

They said it was canceled, and parts might be reused as FFXV.

It wasn't, it was renamed, but we knew that months before the article, because Roen leaked it.

Nohar

If it was cancelled, they would have told us by now. Companies can't lie to potential customers, it's illegal. Either the game is still in development or it's been shelved, which a cancellation wrapped in PR speak.

Hum... We have some things to tell you. You might want to sit down.

Gammacide

Honestly. What is wrong with some people? Reporting on something as official WHEN IT IS NOT OFFICIAL. As if I needed more reasons to dislike IGN. Ridiculous money-grubbing jerk-offs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really don't blame IGN for distrusting Sony, folks lie all the time about the status of a project when the news doesn't suit the agenda - like the time Pete Hines and other folks at Bethesda / Arkane were lying about the status of Prey 2 or the time Jaffe lied about Twisted Metal.

But if you're not going to take them at their word with a headline like "may be canceled" you should probably have something of actual merit when it comes to evidence of it being kaput. Just put it all out there (if theres anything) or completely retract it.

StuBurns

Banned
I really don't blame IGN for distrusting Sony, folks lie all the time about the status of a project when the news doesn't suit the agenda - like the time Pete Hines and other folks at Bethesda / Arkane were lying about the status of Prey 2 or the time Jaffe lied about Twisted Metal.

But if you're not going to take them at their word with a headline like "may be canceled" you should probably have something of actual merit when it comes to evidence of it being kaput. Just put it all out there (if theres anything) or completely retract it.
Really? You actually think that's the correct way to handle game announcements?

Kotaku say Versus XIII is canceled, so SE put out video of the game instantly? IGN say TLG is canceled, and Sony release a trailer, a day before the biggest showcase of the year?

Handy Fake

At this point, if the auditorium goes dark at E3, and all you hear is the call of Trico, the place is going to go absolutely batshit mental.

HeelPower

No, Kotaku were full of shit.

They said it was canceled, and parts might be reused as FFXV.

It wasn't, it was renamed, but we knew that months before the article, because Roen leaked it.
They were right.

This is arguing semantics.

Versus is no more and its assets were reused to make FF15.

The project may have undergone some changes as well due to its mainline status.

Its kinda naive to think otherwise imo.

No. They might maybe have had enough to say "Rumor: Last Guardian cancelled".
Posting "Last Guardian Officially cancelled" was completely fucking moronic and below even the lowest levels of due diligence I'd expect from a message board poster let alone them.

editing in "may" afterwards is the shit icing on the cake of incompetence that is IGN

But nobody knows how solid their information was. From their article, "According to an internal source speaking to IGN Russia, the information was disclosed in Sony’s internal meeting last week.”

Yes, IGN should have contacted Sony first, double-checked the facts, etc. But if you went to an internal Sony meeting and the speaker said, "The Last Guardian is cancelled," why would you be moronic for taking that as an official statement?

Anion

So pretty much, IGN was able to force Sony to talk...wow. Well, this kinda means that The Last Guardian is out there. Now all we need to know is when.

On a side note, thus just shows how big IGN is...

thuway

I think this was purposefully leaked bad information. Months ago someone (on a podcast maybe) claimed IGN had multiple sources within Sony. The tone of the conversation essentially implied: "Hey- we know what's happening within the company, we are IGN, deal with it."

Can you imagine listening to that and you are Shu Yoshida? Can you imagine the anger people slaving away on PS4 titles felt? Can you imagine a scenario where that would make any executive within Sony happy at all?

IGN was essentially asking for trouble the moment they said that.

Some of you might think this is a giant misunderstanding, but I don't know if you know this, for the last few years- several people I've spoken to have revealed some pretty big surprises at Sony press events before hand. The more public issues happen-

A- When you have websites like PlayStation Lifestyle leaking the Last Guardian footage months before a press conference,
B- When you have Reddit posting Webm's of what could possibly be one the biggest "OH shit" moments of an E3 press event,
C- And when you have GAF members / mods / and various people on the internet announcing Sony plans ahead of time-

You need a concerted effort to send out your Ninjas.

If CBOAT was played like a fiddle by NTKRNL, IGN just stepped onto a grenade.

Fake Edit:

Shawn Layden is now in the driver seat at SCEA. Everything has been radio silent since he's taken stage. Perhaps, he's doing what Jack couldn't do - finding the rat.

StuBurns

Banned
They were right.

This is arguing semantics.

Versus is no more and its assets were reused to make FF15.
There is no semantics about it, Versus was never canceled, it had a name change, one we already knew about.

Just look at this article:
One source tells Kotaku that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was officially cancelled within the last few weeks. The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.

Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation. This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.

None of that makes any sense in relation to just getting a name change. It's pure bullshit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Really? You actually think that's the correct way to handle game announcements?

Kotaku say Versus XIII is canceled, so SE put out video of the game instantly? IGN say TLG is canceled, and Sony release a trailer, a day before the biggest showcase of the year?

Huh?

I said IGN should show why they think its canceled (like the time Kotaku put out all the emails showing Arkane's involvement with Prey 2) or retract the statement completely. Sony doesn't have any obligation to show anything.

SDCowboy

At this point, if the auditorium goes dark at E3, and all you hear is the call of Trico, the place is going to go absolutely batshit mental.

Seriously. I hope the convention center will be able to withstand crowd eruption when/if it gets shown tomorrow.

TyrantII

Sony (ADA) camera guy should pan to the IGN staff to grab a quick reaction.

The serious journalists over there are probably pretty mad that this editor in chief is turning them into the daily fail. But yeah, videogames lol.

StuBurns

Banned
Huh?

I said IGN should show why they think its canceled (like the time Kotaku put out all the emails showing Arkane's involvement with Prey 2) or retract the statement completely. Sony doesn't have any obligation to show anything.
Oh, my bad.

Well, IGN can't be expected to expose their sources, even if they're bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom