• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sublimit

Banned
They were right.

This is arguing semantics.

Versus is no more and its assets were reused to make FF15.

The project may have undergone some changes as well due to its mainline status.

Its kinda naive to think otherwise imo.

No they were full of shit and i wish people stop defending them.

They said it was cancelled.They didn't say it was changed to FFXV.

That's a huge difference.

sun-drop

Bit worried Sony felt the need to tweet this responce out....suggests the game wont be at the conference at the very least.

I mean IF it was going to make an appearance... Then ign just served up the perfect setup....no one would expect it, and boom.! Hees the game. They would win e3 on the spot.

But instead they felt they had to tweet out a denial...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think this was purposefully leaked bad information. The rumor originates from SCE-RUSSIA. The very fact alone speaks volumes about who, what, and where it came from.

Months ago someone (on a podcast maybe) claimed IGN had multiple sources within Sony. The tone of the conversation essentially implied: "Hey- we know what's happening within the company, we are IGN, deal with it."

Can you imagine listening to that and you are Shu Yoshida? Can you imagine the anger people slaving away on PS4 titles felt? Can you imagine a scenario where that would make any executive within Sony happy at all?

IGN was essentially asking for trouble the moment they said that.

Some of you might think this is a giant misunderstanding, but I don't know if you know this, for the last few years- several people I've spoken to have revealed some pretty big surprises at Sony press events before hand. The more public issues happen-

A- When you have websites like PlayStation Lifestyle leaking the Last Guardian footage months before a press conference,
B- When you have Reddit posting Webm's of what could possibly be one the biggest "OH shit" moments of an E3 press event,
C- And when you have GAF members / mods / and various people on the internet announcing Sony plans ahead of time-

You need a concerted effort to send out your Ninjas.

If CBOAT was played like a fiddle by NTKRNL, IGN just stepped onto a grenade.

Fake Edit:

Shawn Layden is now in the driver seat at SCEA. Everything has been radio silent since he's taken stage. Perhaps, he's doing what Jack couldn't do - finding the rat.
This sounds pretty plausible actually.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oh, my bad.

Well, IGN can't be expected to expose their sources, even if they're bullshit.

Pretty much, looks like the only thing they have is the word of somebody who heard something from some internal meeting at Sony.

I do think Sony pretty much has to show something about the game tomorrow even if its something minor. That is if its not canceled.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Bit worried Sony felt the need to tweet this responce out....suggests the game wont be at the conference at the very least.

I mean IF it was going to make an appearance... Then ign just served up the perfect setup....no one would expect it, and boom.! Hees the game. They would win e3 on the spot.

It wouldn't make sense for Sony to let the negative press sit there without a response.

Relativ9

Given everything we know about journalistic integrity in Russia, I'd have thought this rumor would never have been taken seriously.

Guys, I think there's a hint in the wording of that tweet Scott Rhodes put out about him and Shuhei laughing about it over dinner.

Why would they be laughing? Because of an awesome dose of irony, perhaps?

Could this truly be Sony's ace-up-the-sleeve for E3?

Stuart444

I feel like they have to mention it now. Like, confirm that it's been moved to PS4 and show a screenshot or something. That is the LEAST they can do. There is no point in torturing us any longer.

They don't have to, at least not at their conference (since I'd assume most things shown in it will be finalized by now). They will be asked about it in interviews though so expect the usual responses. (not ready to show, etc)

Unless it is at the conference then expect a lot more haha. Who knows? We'll find out tomorrow.

SDCowboy

Guys, I think there's a hint in the wording of that tweet Scott Rhodes put out about him and Shuhei laughing about it over dinner.

Agreed. The laughing at the rumor was telling, to me. Who knows though.

Moosichu

They were right.

This is arguing semantics.

Versus is no more and its assets were reused to make FF15.

The project may have undergone some changes as well due to its mainline status.

Its kinda naive to think otherwise imo.

So if Project Beast gets called Demon's Souls 2 its been cancelled? When Final Fantasy Agito XIII had itd name changed to Final Fantasy Type-0 it was cancelled?

FFXV is FFVXIII, the E3 trailer was announced as FFVXIII.

I think this was purposefully leaked bad information. The rumor originates from SCE-RUSSIA. The very fact alone speaks volumes about who, what, and where it came from.

Months ago someone (on a podcast maybe) claimed IGN had multiple sources within Sony. The tone of the conversation essentially implied: "Hey- we know what's happening within the company, we are IGN, deal with it."

Can you imagine listening to that and you are Shu Yoshida? Can you imagine the anger people slaving away on PS4 titles felt? Can you imagine a scenario where that would make any executive within Sony happy at all?

Some of you might think this is a giant misunderstanding, but I don't know if you know this, for the last few years- several people I've spoken to have revealed some pretty big surprises at Sony press events before hand. The more public issues happen-

A- When you have websites like PlayStation Lifestyle leaking the Last Guardian footage months before a press conference,
B- When you have Reddit posting Webm's of what could possibly be one the biggest "OH shit" moments of an E3 press event,
C- And when you have GAF members / mods / and various people on the internet announcing Sony plans ahead of time-

Fake Edit:

Shawn Layden is now in the driver seat at SCEA. Everything has been radio silent since he's taken stage. Perhaps, he's doing what Jack couldn't do - finding the rat.

3783720-lol.gif

Are you serious?

StuBurns

Banned
Pretty much, looks like the only thing they have is the word of somebody who heard something from some internal meeting at Sony.

I do think Sony pretty much has to show something about the game tomorrow even if its something minor. That is if its not canceled.
That's the problem with the whole system.

You can run a blog, say you have multiple sources telling you Left4Dead 3 will be announced at E3 for PS4. And when it doesn't happen you can claim plans changed, and it's true, or you can throw your imaginary sources under the bus and get on with making up the next bullshit thing.

Anyone who's informed enough can make educated guesses, slap the word insider on them, and call it a day.

THE:MILKMAN

Yes. We'll get the ND logo come up on screen and think damn here comes U4 and BAM! TLG (Y2Kev faints and GAF explodes)

Believe

The alternative was to stay silent on an article from a gigantic gaming outlet claiming something was officially canceled. Had they done that, the pall that would be cast over the next 36 hours over the beginning of E3 would be gigantic. Better to avoid that if they could, regardless of whether they're reintroducing the game at E3.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I think this was purposefully leaked to smoke out moles within Sony. The fact this rumor originated from SCE-RUSSIA speaks volumes about who, what, and where it came from.

I remember months ago someone (on a podcast maybe) claimed IGN has multiple sources within Sony. The tone of the conversation essentially implied: "Hey- we know what's happening within the company, we are IGN, deal with it."

Fake Edit:

maybe, or IGN does have vetted knowledge and is trolling

the other side of the argument is that if are consciously aware of what is going on at Sony internally, then there is potentially malicious intent behind breaking this just a day or two prior to their big conference.

the tactical timing and nature of this is not just out of thin air, and we will only really know when looking back in retrospect

/tinfoil hat time

Issun23

Never read between the lines, otherwise you may be disappointed. If it's shown that's great, but don't get your hopes up for that.

They could have been drunk for all we know.

because unlike everyone in this thread they weren't working 24 hours a day on a weekend to try to sort this mess out.

Scott Rohde managed to get himself out of bed to sort out the IGN shitstorm. Plus, IGN are an international website, somebody will be up.

Plus, plus, it's E3 weekend, I expect they're in.

i think something important to consider is that when this sort of thing has happened previously, execs and PR usually say that they "don't comment on rumors" or that "they will be discussing news on the title soon" or something to that affect. THEN they announce it's cancelled.

but this is Yoshida and Rhode saying with their mouth words that it HAS NOT been cancelled. you can't get any more concrete confirmation than that. IGN is just trying to save face. they should have just accepted Sony's reply and then silently investigated where the rumor came from as so they don't get embarrassed in the future.

Frolow

Banned
I think this was purposefully leaked bad information. Months ago someone (on a podcast maybe) claimed IGN had multiple sources within Sony. The tone of the conversation essentially implied: "Hey- we know what's happening within the company, we are IGN, deal with it."

Fake Edit:

You serious?

Sony should say at the beginning of the conference TLG is canceled. Make every one depressed, go on with the conference. Have speaker walk off without a word. Just start playing TLG trailer. Every one is happy. :)

StuBurns

Banned
Sony should say at the beginning of the conference TLG is canceled. Make every one depressed, go on with the conference. Have speaker walk off without a word. Just start playing TLG trailer. Every one is happy. :)
If the reveal isn't prefaced with "Here's one for IGN", Sony failed.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Has anyone considered something very obvious here? I've only skipped through and can't see anyone mentioning it but both Sony AND IGN could be right: Yes, TLG HAS been cancelled ... on the PS3, but now it's coming to the PS4.

ClearData

Whether The Last Guardian shows up or not the resulting thread will be GAF's fucking holy war. Believers against skeptics, Fan boys and trolls, ecstasy, tears and rage.

Do the servers stand ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom