• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishan

Has anyone considered something very obvious here? I've only skipped through and can't see anyone mentioning it but both Sony AND IGN could be right: Yes, TLG HAS been cancelled ... on the PS3, but now it's coming to the PS4.

almost everyone already assumes its a ps4 game now with no ps3 version... if thats their story they could have said cancelled on ps3.

SDCowboy

Has anyone considered something very obvious here? I've only skipped through and can't see anyone mentioning it but both Sony AND IGN could be right: Yes, TLG HAS been cancelled ... on the PS3, but now it's coming to the PS4.

-_- Really, bro? Of course it would be on the PS4 at this point.

IGN could go with that excuse, sure, but no one would see it as anything other than them trying to save face.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think this was purposefully leaked bad information. Months ago someone (on a podcast maybe) claimed IGN had multiple sources within Sony. The tone of the conversation essentially implied: "Hey- we know what's happening within the company, we are IGN, deal with it."

Can you imagine listening to that and you are Shu Yoshida? Can you imagine the anger people slaving away on PS4 titles felt? Can you imagine a scenario where that would make any executive within Sony happy at all?

IGN was essentially asking for trouble the moment they said that.

Some of you might think this is a giant misunderstanding, but I don't know if you know this, for the last few years- several people I've spoken to have revealed some pretty big surprises at Sony press events before hand. The more public issues happen-

A- When you have websites like PlayStation Lifestyle leaking the Last Guardian footage months before a press conference,
B- When you have Reddit posting Webm's of what could possibly be one the biggest "OH shit" moments of an E3 press event,
C- And when you have GAF members / mods / and various people on the internet announcing Sony plans ahead of time-

You need a concerted effort to send out your Ninjas.

If CBOAT was played like a fiddle by NTKRNL, IGN just stepped onto a grenade.

Fake Edit:

Shawn Layden is now in the driver seat at SCEA. Everything has been radio silent since he's taken stage. Perhaps, he's doing what Jack couldn't do - finding the rat.
Interesting theory and very plausible.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Arthur Gies should join IGN

MattyG

Banned
Sony should say at the beginning of the conference TLG is canceled. Make every one depressed, go on with the conference. Have speaker walk off without a word. Just start playing TLG trailer. Every one is happy. :)
This is how I want it to go down; Shu or someone comes on stage. The lights dim. Any colored lighting goes to black, and Shu solemnly proclaims, "The Last Guardian is dead".

Wait, what's coming in from stage right? It's TLG kid, projected Tupac style! He whispers something in Shu's ear. "What's that? Our savior has risen?!" Trico busts on stage, also Tupac style. Shu drops mic, trailer rolls.

B7CBF85420443754BB6FD634FE38F.gif

Mmmkay

By now, it feels more like they've been re-tooling it for Morpheus, which is why they've not been able to talk about it. Team Ico games focus more on atmospherics and emotional connection than core gameplay after all.

Agreed. The laughing at the rumor was telling, to me. Who knows though.

Having Project Beast and The Last Guardian at E3 would actually be a pretty awesome showing in my opinion.

Unfortunately the Project Beast surprise already got leaked.

But if I were Sony and wanted to show TLG at E3 I wouldn't have debunked the cancellation rumor. Surprise would've been even bigger.
People would've talked about the cancellation for the next hours till the conference and then BOOM.

Salex_

Bit worried Sony felt the need to tweet this responce out....suggests the game wont be at the conference at the very least.

I mean IF it was going to make an appearance... Then ign just served up the perfect setup....no one would expect it, and boom.! Hees the game. They would win e3 on the spot.

But instead they felt they had to tweet out a denial...
They pretty much had to respond because it was reported as a fact, not a rumor. They even added the "officially" in the title.

Scott's tweet saying he was laughing about it with Shu makes me think they were going to show it tomorrow and this ironic rumor came up in less than 24 hours.

Never read between the lines, otherwise you may be disappointed. If it's shown that's great, but don't get your hopes up for that.

They could have been drunk for all we know.

Fair enough. I'm not in the "BELIEVE THE HYPE" mode just yet.

I'm in Taipei, so I'm not even sure what day/time the live stream of Sony's press is for me. lol

This is how I want it to go down; Shu or someone comes on stage. The lights dim. Any colored lighting goes to black, and Shu solemnly proclaims, "The Last Guardian is dead".

Wait, what's coming in from stage right? It's TLG kid, projected Tupac style! He whispers something in Shu's ear. "What's that? Our savior has risen?!" Trico busts on stage, also Tupac style. Shu drops mic, trailer rolls.
I like your idea more!

lunlunqq

I wonder what Sony will do tomorrow... They could have just let another E3 conference slip through without mentioning TLG. Now with this much drama, they pretty much will have to say something about it tomorrow. What could it be?

I kind of doubt the last guardian will every be a profitable game for Sony at this point. The coders don't work seven years on a project out of the kindness of there heart.

That is true, but there are several factors such as team size, focus, and so on. Hadntnit been stated before that scej has shifted focus to other titles so, we will never get an accurate picture of the investment in terms of time and money on this project.

Having Project Beast and The Last Guardian at E3 would actually be a pretty awesome showing in my opinion.

But if I were Sony and wanted to show TLG at E3 I wouldn't have debunked the cancellation rumor. Surprise would've been even bigger.
People would've talked about the cancellation for the next hours till the conference and then BOOM.

Imagine if they do reveal it tommorow and say

"so a lot of rumors went around about the next game we're about to show you, specifically that it had been cancelled..."

Everyone looks at IGN:

2376052-1282217024-Get_h.gif

SephiZack

The only good thing to come out of IGN's fuck up is that they basically inadvertently got Sony to confirm it's coming once more. There is now virtually no doubt it's coming. No company would be this stupid if it wasn't.

IGN:"Just according to keikaku"

I think this was purposefully leaked bad information. Months ago someone (on a podcast maybe) claimed IGN had multiple sources within Sony. The tone of the conversation essentially implied: "Hey- we know what's happening within the company, we are IGN, deal with it."

Can you imagine listening to that and you are Shu Yoshida? Can you imagine the anger people slaving away on PS4 titles felt? Can you imagine a scenario where that would make any executive within Sony happy at all?

Some of you might think this is a giant misunderstanding, but I don't know if you know this, for the last few years- several people I've spoken to have revealed some pretty big surprises at Sony press events before hand. The more public issues happen-

A- When you have websites like PlayStation Lifestyle leaking the Last Guardian footage months before a press conference,
B- When you have Reddit posting Webm's of what could possibly be one the biggest "OH shit" moments of an E3 press event,
C- And when you have GAF members / mods / and various people on the internet announcing Sony plans ahead of time-

Fake Edit:

Shawn Layden is now in the driver seat at SCEA. Everything has been radio silent since he's taken stage. Perhaps, he's doing what Jack couldn't do - finding the rat.

Shots fired at CBOAT. Fiddles be dammed!!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
almost everyone already assumes its a ps4 game now with no ps3 version... if thats their story they could have said cancelled on ps3.

-_- Really, bro? Of course it would be on the PS4 at this point.

IGN could go with that excuse, sure, but no one would see it as anything other than them trying to save face.

I'm not saying the scenario would be acceptable or that we didn't know it was coming to the PS4, I'm just saying this scenario presents a reasonable explanation why two sources could be so conflicted. IGN got word of it being cancelled. What their source didn't know was that it had only been cancelled on the PS3. Sony then take the opportunity to laugh at the rumour, giving them a potential big moment at E3 for the reveal of TLG on the PS4.

gdt

Fake Edit:

Ok.....

Man I love E3 time.

Ridley327

Not enough for what will likely be close to 10 years in development, for sure.

Team Ico is a pretty small outfit (I think it's around 40 people total), so even if Ueda picked the absolute cream of the crop with the salaries to match, it wouldn't need to sell that well to make it worthwhile. That being said, if it pans out that Sony reached out to other internal studios like Sony Santa Monica to get the game done, it gets much more complicated.

Ishan

By now, it feels more like they've been re-tooling it for Morpheus, which is why they've not been able to talk about it. Team Ico games focus more on atmospherics and emotional connection than core gameplay after all.

you konw what my initial impulse was no they want a broad appeal. But then given how these games dont sell that well anyway and appeal more to hardcore gamers and are more influential and critically acclaimed than flat out popular. That could def work. Could also add to teh wow factor of their visual design.

EDIT the flip side is one the reasons for the troubled dev was supposedly the ps3 couldnt handle the vision (ai etc) so making it morpheus would again add to that.

Man, if someone from Sony did fall for a trap and incorrectly leak something I'd hate to be that guy going into work tomorrow.

Also, the talking point of the internet going into E3 tomorrow is TLG, so this has all been a good thing for Sony - if they do in fact have doing to show tomorrow.

Which scenario would be best?

A. The Last Guardian is canceled.

OR

B. The Last Guardian releases in 2015 and is terrible

Not saying these are the only two possible scenarios but I'm just kind of curious as to which one you'd rather see happening.

SDCowboy

I think they needed to debunk it. The story got completely out of control and very well could have dampened, if not completely overshadowed the presser up until it got shown (if it did).

SDCowboy

Which scenario would be best?

A. The Last Guardian is canceled.

OR

B. The Last Guardian releases in 2015 and is terrible

Not saying these are the only two possible scenarios but I'm just kind of curious as to which one you'd rather see happening.

C. If it's coming, show it at E3. If it's not, tell us it's cancelled.

How much has been spent on it? Please let us know

Really? I'm going to have to act like an industry expert before you take it seriously?

Think of how much budgets skyrocketed with the last gen of consoles(PS3, Xbox 360, etc.), which sunk some companies while others moved on to PSN/XBLA, iOS and handheld platforms. Put 8 years of that much money being spent with nothing to show for it. And assuming(a big assumption btw) that they end up moving that to the PS4, that's just even larger sums of money being thrown at a project that's been in development for 8 years, where they already fired the head of the team, for a series that isn't that much of a seller, and to boot not much has been shown of the game.

It's absolutely terrible when you look at it business wise. It could sell 1 mil, maybe 2 if you're being extremely generous. It's best at this point to cut your losses and move on. Team Ico doesn't look good at all, to any company with that track record over the past decade. I imagine if Sony goes ahead and does release it, it would be to make what little money they can out of it, which won't be much.

SephiZack

Fake Edit:

I think this theory could actually be real. If someone higher-up at Sony has purposely spread this false rumor to some employees (maybe some russians) then IGN's "insider source" may have been found and nuked

What if the reason Scott and Yoshida laughed wasn't because of the rumor itself but because they found the insider? *evil laugh*

Blues1990

I'm honestly losing interest with the game. It's been missing in action for so long, it's almost becoming a bad joke at this point.

Loakum

Banned
Whether The Last Guardian shows up or not the resulting thread will be GAF's fucking holy war. Believers against skeptics, Fan boys and trolls, ecstasy, tears and rage.

Do the servers stand ready?

*sips on a glass of grape juice* I don't know if the servers will hold up, but it's gonna be so good to see. ^_^

todd360

I wonder what Sony will do tomorrow... They could have just let another E3 conference slip through without mentioning TLG. Now with this much drama, they pretty much will have to say something about it tomorrow. What could it be?

They can't just pull a trailer out of their butt. Sony only has 1 day in advance to think of something to add to the conference if they weren't already planning on showing the game.
I think they already have it planned to be there tomorrow though. This has gone on for 8 years. They really need to just show it now or tell us it's canceled. They just told us it isn't canceled. Every year they don't show it just continues to make them look bad. It's time.

Fake Edit:

Oh God, you might be right. Hopefully, the Edward Snowden of videogames can escape to Russia in time before Sony agents get to him and silence his leaks permanently.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sony should pull a beyonce with the last guardian.

I don't mean stand around and do nothing while your man gets assaulted. I mean release it stealthily.

Ishan

Really? I'm going to have to act like an industry expert before you take it seriously?

Think of how much budgets skyrocketed with the last gen of consoles(PS3, Xbox 360, etc.), which sunk some companies while others moved on to PSN/XBLA, iOS and handheld platforms. Put 8 years of that much money being spent with nothing to show for it. And assuming(a big assumption btw) that they end up moving that to the PS4, that's just even larger sums of money being thrown at a project that's been in development for 8 years, where they already fired the head of the team, for a series that isn't that much of a seller, and to boot not much has been shown of the game.

It's absolutely terrible when you look at it business wise. It could sell 1 mil, maybe 2 if you're being extremely generous. It's best at this point to cut your losses and move on. Team Ico doesn't look good at all, to any company with that track record over the past decade. I imagine if Sony goes ahead and does release it, it would be to make what little money they can out of it, which won't be much.

i think the reason its not cancelled is just the legacy it has.

look what sony did with the unaccounced ssm project. supposedly was giong to be shown at e3 was pretty far along with a big team with stig at the helm. And snip gone. 3-4 year dev cycle on a ps4 focussed game removed just like that.

the problem with this is they showed it and the hype/legacy of this game has just become way too big now. Especially with them constantly insisting its still in development. Would be massive about face and lots of egg pelting infoved if they cancelled it now.

Wheter it lives up tto expectations. Thats a whole other issues.

The final 'best time to release' with PS4 launch IMO.

It should have been cancelled maybe 5-6 years ago or released at PS4 launch. They will never make back all the time and money on development. They really should just let it go.

Portugeezer

It's not even worth entertaining that notion, but I bet IGN would loooove that to be the case now.

Edit: but yes, people have considered that in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom