• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The SEGA Rally reboot that nobody bought

I bought this game day 1 because I'm fan of the first Sega Rally and Sega Rally 2 (arcade). Revo is an excellent arcade but:

Music is generic
30 fps
No checkpoint mechanic

The deformation of terrain was superb tho, and the handling is very reminescent of Sega Rally 1 which is cool.

I loved Sega Rally Online arcade too, that was like Revo Lite (only 4 circuits) but with better external view, tight handling and checkpoints.

Revo had a very good PSP vers developed by Bugbear

yikes apparently this game has no controls and requires you to connect a console to your PC in order to play.

hDkl47Al.jpg

good lookin out, Paul.

A few more facts whilst I remember:

Japanese SKU had Dual Shock support, altered chase cam and better XMB disc theme. I think actually the Russian version had the most bug fixes, and in fact I believe it was the first Russian translated PS3 title (might be wrong on that).

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought it for $60 on day one, 360 version. I didn't need the same game as the old Sega Rally. I just wanted a fun arcade style racer.

The game looked awesome. The tech was superb. There was plenty of content. The control was interesting. The big problem with the game was that it was too fricking hard. I don't mind a tough racer, but this was ridiculous. It was not fun. I think I got like 5 or 10 cheevos for it. It's a real shame because I loved everything else about it.

Didn't think much of this version. It was a disappointment after playing that other reboot that only got a JPN release. I imported a PS2 for that and NiGHTS back in the day.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
yikes apparently this game has no controls and requires you to connect a console to your PC in order to play.

good lookin out, Paul.

Sounds like user error.

EDIT: lol, I misunderstood

RyType

Bought this game on the day of its release, took some getting used to with the controls and it didn't quite capture the magic of the original sega rally but I still loved it- certainly wasn't disappointed.

GaussTek

Great game, I enjoyed playing through this. It's sad it didn't sell....
Didn't they do a really cheap digital version of it a while ago on PSN?
Edit: Seems the digital version was a spin-off?

AFAIK, the PSN/XBLA release (Sega Rally Online Arcade) was based on Sega Rally 3 (or at least, according to Wikipedia, never got to play it), so it was actually the real sequel. Shame it got removed and that it never came out on PC :(

Hey I bought this on PC. :) Almost did twice in fact; had the Steam version in my Wishlist for a long time, only to discover it was taken down before I had the chance to buy it again (really would've been nice to play without the disc legit, but there's other ways around that). It's definitely one of my favorite racing games ever, my friend used to marvel at how well I could drift the corners lol, he was much better on street course racers than I was though.

Also really appreciate the extra details you've given GAF over the years, Kenny. I think I've managed to keep up and read them all.

Gestault

Captain Jack's Pirate Cove in Niagara Falls Canada totally has a networked pod of four of these machines (3 of which are working). I did a day-trip with a friend to check out the arcade scene up near the falls. It was a really interesting trip.

Seeing semi-modern versions of major Sega franchises was really neat. House of the Dead 4, Virtual Cop 3, Sega Rally 3 and that sort of thing.

Got this game on release. Hard as hell, but it's sooo damn fun. it captures that Sega racing spirit perfectly - the communicative physics, the easy to learn controls that eventually deepens with the increased difficulty. The still great graphics, with that bright, blue sky aesthetic. Great game, even if it is a strict arcade racer.

Dachande

I loved it. I thought the handling was just right and really fun, and enjoyed the track design immensely.

The only thing it did wrong was being in 30fps. I'm guessing the track deformation was too heavy to run it at 60fps on consoles, which was a huge shame.

I bought this game (Twice) but ultimately, it was just another mediocre racer with horribly flawed AI (Which of-course, makes or breaks a racing game) not really worthy of the SEGA Rally name imo.

NekoFever

I had a lot of fun with this game. One of the 20 or so 360 games that survived a recently pruning of my collection.

I bought this and loved it. This game just "felt" right to me.

I also bought the Sega Rally Online arcade game but it felt like it was missing something after playing Revo

AmyS

AFAIK, the PSN/XBLA release (Sega Rally Online Arcade) was based on Sega Rally 3 (or at least, according to Wikipedia, never got to play it), so it was actually the real sequel. Shame it got removed and that it never came out on PC :(

Sega Rally 3 arcade is 60 FPS.

Sega Rally Online Arcade on PSN / XBLA was 30FPS, like Sega Rally Revo.

Very fun game. I bought it cheap ($3?) about a year ago from GameStop. I had wanted to get SR Arcade on XBLA but it had been pulled from market. Sounds like this version may be the better game anyway.

Patrick S.

Banned
When the original AM2 racing games came out in the arcades, they blew me away. I don't know how much time and money I've spent playing Daytona USA and Sega Rally. I was actually there when my favourite arcade (Las Veronicas, Tenerife) got their Sega Rally cabinet. Even the owner of the place was totally excited because of the game, and the technician who installed it activated a couple dozen free credits after he was done, and the owner even had friends over and they played in turns and were having a super time, and when they were done, they let me have a couple freebies too. So awesome.

I got a Megadrive because of Virtua Racing, after never ever being interested in consoles because I was happy with my Amigas. Then I got a Saturn because of Daytona and Sega Rally, and then I got a Dreamcast because of Daytona again. So you could say I'm a fan.

As soon as this game here came out, I went and tried it out, however it ran like crap on my PC, and also the feeling just wasn't there. I did like OutRun Coast to Coast, still have my disc.

Recall

Great game, I enjoyed playing through this. It's sad it didn't sell....
Didn't they do a really cheap digital version of it a while ago on PSN?
Edit: Seems the digital version was a spin-off?

Sumo Digital did a version of it which was actually incredible, variations of the tracks from Revo and more of a bite size easy to enjoy chunk, very enjoyable game to get all the achievements on but it's no longer on the store.

Tizoc

I suddenly have the urge to get the PC SEGA Rally games. Which of them are worth getting and run well on current PCs?

did it ever come out on PC?

I loved Sega Rally in the arcade and on the dreamcast. Not as much as Daytona, but close. I'd like to apologise to the OP for ignoring this, assuming it was a cheap cash-in at the time.

If it isn't out on PC and comes to XB1 as part of their 360 BC I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere

The PC version will comfortably run at a locked 60fps on very mediocre hardware but it sadly has a terrible frame pacing bug that completely ruins the game.

KingJ2002

One of my favorite racing titles from last gen. I had both Sega Rally Revo and Sega Rally Online Arcade for Xbox Live Arcade... Would love to see a sequel to this game with an expanded online mode.

NinjaBoiX

The handling model was horrendous, like your car was pivoting around a central axis. It was far too twitchy as well, it felt like opposing magnets were pushing either side of your bonnet or something, keeping your car in a straight line was a real challenge.

The terrain tech was pretty cool but I really didn't dig it.

Spaghetti

would have been nice if this was still on PC, but just like outrun coast 2 coast it got pulled because of licencing stuff

Gameboy415

I picked this up for PS3 near its release date and enjoyed it but definitely had some trouble adjusting to the controls compared to previous Sega Rally games.

I also remember the aspect ratio being strange on the SDTV I played on at the time - I want to say there was forced Letterboxing or something?
(I may be mixing it up with a different game)

md99

Banned
Realy liked this game. It was pure arcade action. So much more satisfying than po-faced shite like Gran Turismo, Forza or F1 games.

I'd love to see a 60fps HD remaster of the original though :(

LCGeek

formerly sane
Canyon is one of my favorite musical tracks and that game is to die for. I'm one of the rare few to actually buy it at launch though my pc at the time ran it like shit. Still play it these days when I'm not in the mood for outrun or trackmania love the powersliding in those games especially once you get use to shifting.

I found it to be pretty fun when I rented it at launch. Don't think I finished it, though, which I'll maybe have to do someday.

SkylineRKR

Online Arcade is SR3. Its a downgraded port with different liveries thats pretty good imho. Also has the original desert stage.

Arcade version ran on hardware that was a leap better than Ps360.

MaLDo

The PC version will comfortably run at a locked 60fps on very mediocre hardware but it sadly has a terrible frame pacing bug that completely ruins the game.

As workaround, if you pause a race and select retry, you can play that race with perfect framerate. The problem is retry option doesn't exist in campaign mode, only in quick race.

Console versions 30 fps.
PC version 60 with microstuttering.
What a mess.

Top Bottom