• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The SEGA Rally reboot that nobody bought

Neff

Bought it, didn't like it.

It was like Sega Rally without everything I love about Sega Rally. The physics, the garish arcade palettes, the crazy music, the smoothness, the Japanese-iness, all gone.

Coxy

a shame, I bought it and online arcade, enjoyed them both a lot

I also loved Blur & the Sonic Allstar racing games but none of them seem to have sold tremendously well so now we're stuck in a world with a million boring gran turismo wannabes :(

PaRappa

Having worked on this game, it was quite a nice surprise to wake up this morning to see an article written about it! Some very happy and sad memories (for obvious reasons) about that time in my life.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/15/the-sega-rally-reboot-that-nobody-bought

SEGA-Rally-Revo-IGN_07-720x405.jpg

SEGA-Rally-Revo-IGN_05-720x405.jpg

Some quotes

Nope. Sorry Kenny. I bought this on release day. I know your team tried hard to bring back the Sega Rally magic, but this was not Sega rally. It felt like a committee built, by the numbers, 'what-can-we-bring-to-the-party game (Oh I know, deformable tracks!). It wasn't even close to Gran Turismo 3's rally stages for playability. You should have been at least the equivalent of Drive Club.

I know you had the original arcades in your office during development but you just missed some kinda balls to the wall, post-Daytona USA, 'We're gonna out Yu, Yu Suzuki' kinda gutso. I can imagine Sega being total pigs to work for so perhaps there was an element of playing it safe, we wanna keep pir paymasters sweet, but, this was no true Sega Rally successor.

When Sega Rally débuted, it was the most graphically advanced, physics advanced game ever to hit the arcades and the Saturn port wasn't too shabby either.

Those big boots were never filled by Revo. Its a shame and a reason why the great series pretty much died along with your studio.

TLDR: Revo had no soul

I bought this game for 360, got 1000g (100 online races, all unlocks, so forth) and then did it all over again on the pc version!

great game.

PaRappa

To be honest (and I realize you worked on this Kenny so hopefully this is constructive), for me the game lacked most of what made the original games special and felt like a more by the numbers experience. The characteristic track design, handling, music, sega feel - was all just kind of gone. It was a fine game in its own right but it didn't seem like part of the sega rally franchise to me.

Would love to see an AM2 led Sega Rally 3 some day though that's asking a lot of modern sega - basically to be a reasonable company.

Indeed

EBreda

I really enojoyed the game for what it is. Deformable tracks were great, variety of tracks was actually really good, competition was hard, online was pretty good also.

It was not, however, a true Sega Raly Championship game.

Recall

It's a shame though that we never even got a good console port of Sega Rally 2, the Dreamcast version is rough. I think everyone had a lot of hopes on Revo.

PaRappa

I bought this game day 1 because I'm fan of the first Sega Rally and Sega Rally 2 (arcade). Revo is an excellent arcade but:

Music is generic
30 fps
No checkpoint mechanic

The deformation of terrain was superb tho, and the handling is very reminescent of Sega Rally 1 which is cool.

I loved Sega Rally Online arcade too, that was like Revo Lite (only 4 circuits) but with better external view, tight handling and checkpoints.

Revo had a very good PSP vers developed by Bugbear

Revo felt like a very desperate attempt to keep a lucrative franchise alive after it developers had disbanded.

Kenny, you (and your team) should have had a full reign on developing a driveclub style soul enthused successor. Rally was already dead when you got to develop its successor. You (as talented as you are) should have been tasked with developing 'the next' Sega Rally rather than a Rally sequel.

Atolm

Tbh as I said ealier while it was vastly different to Sega Rally it was a good game by its own right and this thread has just twisted the knife in my heart because since then the only Sega arcade game worth mentioning is Sonic ASRT.

The death of arcade racing is the biggest tragedy of the last ten years in gaming. Ridge Racer, Sega's output, Wipeout, f-Zero, other efforts like Split/Second and Blur...it hurts so goddamn much ;/

As workaround, if you pause a race and select retry, you can play that race with perfect framerate. The problem is retry option doesn't exist in campaign mode, only in quick race.

Console versions 30 fps.
PC version 60 with microstuttering.
What a mess.

Holy crap.. I've always noticed this and absolutely lost the plot with my pc and the settings trying to sort it.. I never could. You're telling me it was like that for everyone and it wasn't my hardware?..... SHIT.

Lettuce

Whilst the game was good...it was probably release a a few years too late when Arcade racers were on the decrease and people were more interested in the likes of Forza and GT.

Heck how about pushing it for the XB1 BC, OP????

I loved this game. It was amazing in many ways that Sega racers had never been. Technically excellent,quite fully featured, innovative tech that also innovated on gameplay due to the deform-able terrain.

The deform-able terrain was really the star of the show, but it did have a kind of a weird disappointment about it for me, since Sega Rally was always about the Rally races. Driving through winding, non-repeating roads defined Sega Rally for me, and the deformable terrain was vastly better for lap-based play.

It was nice to see them use the tech for Sega Rally Arcade at the very least. It would have been nice to have a PC version at the very least, but at least I have it on 360.

PaRappa

But I stand by my criticism as someone who this game was aimed at.

Let me be clear, I was a Sega fanboy up to the Dreamcast but in their transition to third party status they shed ALL their natural talent, tried to ape EA and made a lot of misteps with their franchises (cough,,,, Sonic). The only Talent Sega still have are the recent studios they have bought. Old Sega is dead. They exist in name and as IP hens only. Letting Yu use the Shenmue IP is probably the greatest thing they have done in the last 15 years.

Some very talented studios and very talented developers got screwed in the process.

The fault lies entirely with Sega. Not their studios or their developers.

PaRappa

Tbh as I said ealier while it was vastly different to Sega Rally it was a good game by its own right and this thread has just twisted the knife in my heart because since then the only Sega arcade game worth mentioning is Sonic ASRT.

The death of arcade racing is the biggest tragedy of the last ten years in gaming. Ridge Racer, Sega's output, Wipeout, f-Zero, other efforts like Split/Second and Blur...it hurts so goddamn much ;/

I dream of what a cash rich Sega/Namco/Taito/Capcom/SNK could do with a game on a quad SLI Titan X Oculus monster arcade rig, with that 'just one more go' feeling.

Revo felt like a very desperate attempt to keep a lucrative franchise alive after it developers had disbanded.

Kenny, you (and your team) should have had a full reign on developing a driveclub style soul enthused successor. Rally was already dead when you got to develop its successor. You (as talented as you are) should have been tasked with developing 'the next' Sega Rally rather than a Rally sequel.

Is this not what they did, or are you suggesting they should have made a new original IP? It was called Sega Rally Revo instead of Sega Rally 3 for a reason, I presume. Also, I doubt using a new name would have necessarily been better sales-wise, at least Sega Rally has brand recognition. The only downside I could see there is if people associate the game (which they probably did), with arcade racers with skimpy feature sets in a world where Forza and GT exist.

It's pretty great. There is also an arcade version which is great great fun to play with a friend. It has a sequential shifter and a handbrake and everything

PaRappa

Is this not what they did, or are you suggesting they should have made a new original IP? It was called Sega Rally Revo instead of Sega Rally 3 for a reason, I presume. Also, I doubt using a new name would have necessarily been better sales-wise, at least Sega Rally has brand recognition. The only downside I could see there is if people associate the game (which they probably did), with arcade racers with skimpy feature sets in a world where Forza and GT exist.

No. They had tried too hard to ape classic Sega Rally and the 'deformed terrain' shtick just didnt do it for me.. Maybe you're too young to remember but when Sega Rally was released in 1995, model 2 technology was only just developing. AM2, AM3 were all in competition. Budgets were astronomical.

Sega Rally was not kowtowing, basing itself on any previous game. Yeah, there was this Daytona game that was quite popular. Sega Rally was a racing game, distinct, pioneering and different. It was built to be the most advanced, cutting edge piece of software on the most advanced cutting edge piece of hardware. It had no predecessors. It was carving itself out to be a monumental game in its own right.

The print media was in a frenzy when the beta of Sega Rally was shown, 'will this game match up to Daytona?' were the headlines. And it did, and then some. AM3 finally bested AM2.

To be fair, it was Sega in it's heyday. Everything they touched turned to gold. Their studios were bold and ambitious. They were defining genres, laying out the next big thing, every studio would study and try to emulate them as companies watch out for Apple's developments today.

In a world where Gran Turismo and Forza existed (and numerous other rally games), Sega Racing Studios should have been more bold and ambitious.

Look at how Tomb Raider was revived from the grave. Admittedly a huge budget and a huge amount of talent a trust was needed.

Synth

Nope. Sorry Kenny. I bought this on release day. I know your team tried hard to bring back the Sega Rally magic, but this was not Sega rally. It felt like a committee built, by the numbers, 'what-can-we-bring-to-the-party game (Oh I know, deformable tracks!). It wasn't even close to Gran Turismo 3's rally stages for playability. You should have been at least the equivalent of Drive Club.

Wait, what the fuck is this? Equivalent of Driveclub? Sega Rally Revo is twice the game Driveclub will ever be... and it managed that without a Season Pass and a year of iteration.

The deformable tracks were precisely what Sega Rally needed. The series originally pionereed the concept of different surface types, and defomable surfaces was the next step for that. It's something that made (makes) the game very special up until today still. The only seriously failing the game has imo was that it didn't run at 60fps (but then, that's not exactly something Driveclub can claim either).

I did think the championships should have gone with a standard Sega Rally style progression, starting at the back of the pack, and working towards 1st over the course of each race, but other than that this game was very much a legitimate Sega Rally successor. Even in regards to the handling, it felt very much like a Sega Rally game.. you have to consider that the handling models for Sega Rally 1 and Sega Rally 2 are substatially different from each other as well. The series was always striving for a certain level of believability and realism, and that was being reflected in the handling as well as the graphics. It's wasn't aiming for the same things that Daytona USA was.

Overall, I'd probably place Revo behind the original Sega Rally, but above Sega Rally 2 overall (especially in regards to console version).

PaRappa

Wait, what the fuck is this? Equivalent of Driveclub? Sega Rally Revo is twice the game Driveclub will ever be... and it managed that without a Season Pass and a year of iteration.

The deformable tracks were precisely what Sega Rally needed. The series originally pionereed the concept of different surface types, and defomable surfaces was the next step for that. It's something that made (makes) the game very special up until today still. The only seriously failing the game has imo was that it didn't run at 60fps (but then, that's not exactly something Driveclub can claim either).

I did think the championships should have gone with a standard Sega Rally style progression, starting at the back of the pack, and working towards 1st over the course of each race, but other than that this game was very much a legitimate Sega Rally successor. Even in regards to the handling, it felt very much like a Sega Rally game.. you have to consider that the handling models for Sega Rally 1 and Sega Rally 2 are substatially different from each other as well. The series was always striving for a certain level of believability and realism, and that was being reflected in the handling as well as the graphics. It's wasn't aiming for the same things that Daytona USA was.

Overall, I'd probably place Revo behind the original Sega Rally, but above Sega Rally 2 overall (especially in regards to console version).

Well I upgraded my PC from 32 to a whopping 64MB of ram to get this game running at 60fps. It was still played like a dog because it was programmed as a dog. And what was that sad music? What happened to the epic guitar riffs of Sega Rally 1&2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUQSJuDRicU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4ZYHXF2SY&list=PLCcY7EPJErlxP5Elrn2CmhG4Tyos05ELt

The handling drifting was lacking. It needed to be a cross between conservative Sega Rally and over the top ridge Racer.

It lacked magic. Balls to the wall magic.

This was in a post Forza/Gran Turismo/ Colin McRae/ Rallisport Challenge era.

Being the new kid on the block was no longer enough, with or without 'deformed tracks'. It no longer pioneered. It no longer set the standard. It merely tried to ape its predecessor. And it so showed,

If I'm being honest, Sega Rally is a very Japanese games and some English plebs could never recapture that magic - I say that as a Londoner.

flattie

I loved this game. It was amazing in many ways that Sega racers had never been. Technically excellent,quite fully featured, innovative tech that also innovated on gameplay due to the deform-able terrain.

Am I reading this correctly? Sega racers have never been technically excellent or made use of innovative tech/featured innovative gameplay? (You can have feature-full, but they were all arcade games, after all).

pswii60

Having worked on this game, it was quite a nice surprise to wake up this morning to see an article written about it! Some very happy and sad memories (for obvious reasons) about that time in my life.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/15/the-sega-rally-reboot-that-nobody-bought

Some quotes
It was 30fps, and the exact reason I didn't buy it. Sega Rally should be 60fps, it's an arcade franchise ffs. I do hope you voiced your dissatisfaction with that design choice when you were working on the game.

I'm with Synth in this. Probably the one and only design decision that SRS made well

Am I reading this correctly? Sega racers have never been technically excellent or made use of innovative tech/featured innovative gameplay? (You can have feature-full, but they were all arcade games, after all).

You didn't play Daytona USA in 1994, didn't you?

If I'm being honest, Sega Rally is a very Japanese games and some English plebs could never recapture that magic - I say that as a Londoner.

Also this.

Synth

Well I upgraded my PC from 32 to a whopping 64MB of ram to get this running at 60fps. It was still played like a dog because it was programmed as a dog. And what was that sad music? What happened to the epic guitar riffs of Sega Rally 1&2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4ZYHXF2SY&list=PLCcY7EPJErlxP5Elrn2CmhG4Tyos05ELt

The handling drifting was lacking. It needed to be a cross between conservative Sega Rally and over the top ridge Racer.

Being the new kid on the block was no longer enough, with or without 'deformed tracks'. It no longer pioneered. It no longer set the standard. It merely tried to ape its predecessor. And it so showed,

You keep talking about post-Forza/Gran Turismo, as if that's supposed to mean that a Sega Rally game should no longer be Sega Rally. It's this kinda thinking that's given us shit like Ridge Racer Unbounded in recent years. The fact that you used to Tomb Raider reboot as an example pretty much says everything. Whilst Tomb Raider 2013 is a good game in its own right, it's may as well have been a different IP completely, as it doesn't cater at all to those that want a game like the previous entries they used to love. A sequel shouldn't have to "set the standard" even if the original did. Mario set the standard back in 1985... that doesn't mean a modern day Mario should be looking to one-up Uncharted 4. Let new franchises do that, like Sega Rally did to stuff like Outrun back then.

I'll agree that the music overall was not up to the same standard as the original two entries, but I still thought it sounded very much like a modern Sega game (specifically, it sounds very similar to Virtua Fighter 5). Also Canyon 1 had awesome music imo, and is easily up there with the originals. It's just a shame that not all the music was as memorable as this.

Sega Rally needed nothing from Ridge Racer (especially not what Ridge Racer had become at that point). Again, Sega Rally wasn't aiming for the same type of experience that Daytona, Ridge Racer or Outrun was. The drifting in the games was supposed to be somewhat grounded in reality, to offer a reasonable approximation of driving a real rally car. Sega Rally was pretty much the original simcade game in that regard really. It was an arcade game that was basically the most realistic racer of the time. As the hardware improved (from Model 1 to Model 2 etc) the handling became more realistic, and surface traction became more a focus point.

I also don't think Sega Rally came across as a very Japanese game at all really, at least not in the way games like Daytona and Ridge Racer did. The graphical style, music style, handling style, pretty much everything felt oddly universal for a Sega game, and probably helped contribute to the games success on home consoles (other than Daytona's home situation being pretty sad). The original Colin McRae Rally for example bears a rather surprising similarity to Sega Rally overall, along with some of the other pretenders to the thrown (V-Rally, Rallisport Challenge) that were made outside of Japan. I dunno man, really to me it sounds as if you simply didn't really want a new Sega Rally, and simply wanted a new team, that you'd never played anything from to make something completely different (like Driveclub maybe?). In all honesty, outside of fancy graphical shit, I think Sega Rally Revo moved the genre forwards in a far more meaningful way than Driveclub has. It did a lot more than apply a universal handling modifier onto the course whilst making things hard to see. It's just a shame that the implementation is expensive enough to apparently not have been picked up by many other games. At least Forza 6 decided to also handle puddles properly I guess (though that is something Project Gotham Racing 4 was also handling well that year).

rObit

Banned
I played the demo and really liked the terrain tech. I would absolutely love to see that kind of tech adapted to DiRT games or something like that. Just the handling of the game was not up my alley, sadly. Not my style of arcade racer.

I thought this was an amazing game on 360 and PS3. Gorgeous. Fun. Captured the spirit of the original. And it was insanely overlooked at the time.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Bought it, didn't like it.

It was like Sega Rally without everything I love about Sega Rally. The physics, the garish arcade palettes, the crazy music, the smoothness, the Japanese-iness, all gone.

Ironically that was the development goal Sega was aiming for.

Great game, I enjoyed playing through this. It's sad it didn't sell....
Didn't they do a really cheap digital version of it a while ago on PSN?
Edit: Seems the digital version was a spin-off?

From what I remember that digital version was actually based off of the arcade version of Sega Rally 3.

Well I upgraded my PC from 32 to a whopping 64MB of ram to get this game running at 60fps. It was still played like a dog because it was programmed as a dog. And what was that sad music? What happened to the epic guitar riffs of Sega Rally 1&2?

You seem like someone who would know - HOW can I get SRally 2 working on Win 8 or even 7?? I need it again in my life at 60fps! The emulation I find to be pretty hit and miss and I enjoyed the 10 year career mode..

Synth

I bought this after really enjoying SEGA Rally Arcade but I don't think I ever actually played it.

If you mean Sega Rally Online Arcade, then I consider Revo to be a significantly better game, and if you're only going to play one, Online Arcade wasn't to one to play.

You seem like someone who would know - HOW can I get SRally 2 working on Win 8 or even 7?? I need it again in my life at 60fps! The emulation I find to be pretty hit and miss and I enjoyed the 10 year career mode..

What problems are you having? Last time I played Sega Rally 2, was on Windows 7.

EDIT: Actually, it was probably on Windows 8.

You didn't play Daytona USA in 1994, didn't you?

My home town main arcade always had the big names in before I saw them anywhere else, the place one day just randomly had a huge multiplayer Daytona set up sitting against the wall one Saturday morning in 94. I damn near shit myself. Before that the most pioneering thing I had ever seen was Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing. This shat on Virtua Racing from such a height that it still hasn't hit the ground. Unreal.

What problems are you having? Last time I played Sega Rally 2, was on Windows 7.

I just can't get it going, I remember having issues before with music but now I don't remember even getting that far with 8.1. I have 7 on my laptop so I'll dig out the disks and try on there. Are there any mods or patches sitting around to make this any easier?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
My sister actually bought me the game out on a whim, and after playing it, she made a wise choice. I'd love to give the online another go, but I think any version of the game that wasn't on 360 had it's online shut down because it relied on Demonware for the netcode.

It would be nice at least if Sega would give it another go. Maybe get Sumo Digital to do the deed.

Synth

I just can't get it going, I remember having issues before with music but now I don't remember even getting that far with 8.1. I have 7 on my laptop so I'll dig out the disks and try on there. Are there any mods or patches sitting around to make this any easier?

I don't recall having any issues getting it up an running in general tbh. Maybe I should try getting it up and running to see if there's anythig I'm forgetting. I'm on the Windows 10 Preview now though, so I'm not sure if that would be any different.

You definitely want a piece of software named [URL="http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibility-tools/_inmm-dll-tutorial/]_inmm.dll[/URL] to solve your music issues though. It'll inject the CD audio into the game directly.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Great fuckin game, put many an hour into this. Loved it just as much as the original Sega Rally games as well.

Top Bottom