• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Wii 2 = Stream, powered by R700 and 3core IBM, $350-$400 [Fixed Thread]

Reallink

carlo6529 said:
Were you able to see Nintendo launching a handheld at 250 bucks?

I agree, $250 DS is much more surprising than even a $399 console would be. Especially since it's basically coming with both a console and some kind of NGP tablet type device. There is a lot of perceived value in that if they market it right. $250 DS just looks like 3D iteration of DS/DSL/DSi/DSXL.

carlo6529 said:
Were you able to see Nintendo launching a handheld at 250 bucks?

this dangit, times change inflation yadda yadda. let me pose a question to some people
do you guys really think that nintendo would make their next console equally priced/just $50 more than the $250 dollar handheld they have on the market?
the only hopes for this thing being $300 is if they drop the 3ds to 200 by june/fall 2012 or whenever this thing is launching.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Reallink said:
I agree, $250 DS is much more surprising than even a $399 console would be. Especially since it's basically coming with both a console and some kind of NGP tablet type device. There is a lot of perceived value in that if they market it right. $250 DS just looks like 3D iteration of DS/DSL/DSi/DSXL.

No there isn't. If the rumors are true Nintendo have lost their minds.

carlo6529

If the system does launch over 300 bucks, I won't buy it at launch unless there is a clear defining must have game available right away.

I've barely touched my 3DS since I bought it...

carlo6529 said:
If the system does launch over 300 bucks, I won't buy it at launch unless there is a clear defining must have game available right away.

It'll be $350 if these rumors are to be believed, but not to fret. As I've been saying this whole time, Pikmin 3 is gonna be on it at launch, though I think now it'll likely be getting the Twilight Princess treatment. My hunch is that Pikmin 3 is gonna be the showcase piece, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was the inspiration for the system's new features.

v1oz

Is anyone else worried with the lack of multitouch? Also doesn't being able to stream Games to that 6inch screan mean the controller will need to have a built in processor and graphics hardware?

Zeliard

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Imagine if Nintendo also released this CASSEROLE this year

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

(* I believe the term you are looking for is 'upscaled')

It isn't upscaling either, it's rendering it at a different, and much higher, resolution. Simplest way I can explain it is that the Wii "tells" Mario Galaxy to output at 480p, and so something that isn't the Wii can tell it to output at whatever it wants to, within its own limits.

So when the Dolphin emulator runs Galaxy at 1080p, it isn't upscaling it from 480p ---> 1080p - it's actually rendering it at 1080p. And then there's magic on your screen.

watershed

Banned
v1oz said:
Is anyone else worried with the lack of multitouch? Also doesn't being able to stream Games to that 6inch screan mean the controller will need to have a built in processor and graphics hardware?

Multi-touch would be cool but not neccesary, it does need to be capacitive and not resistive though, and I imagine it will be capacitive.

The whole point of streaming is that the controller doesn't need to include the kind of hardware your talking about. If it did it would be a handheld or a tablet not a controller with a screen.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Imagine if Nintendo also released this CASSEROLE this year

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

(* I believe the term you are looking for is 'upscaled')
oops. yes, that's what I meant to type.

I can dream of Dolphin-like 1080p upscaling for current Wii and past GameCube games, can't I?

watershed

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
My hunch is that Pikmin 3 is gonna be the showcase piece, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was the inspiration for the system's new features.

The only thing Nintendo has ever said about Pikmin 3 is Miyamoto confirming it is in development and saying that Pikmin is one game that would benefit from HD. Nobody has ever said anything about Pikmin inspiring the system's new features unless it was a GAF poster or you want to link a source. I'm not tryin' to be rude, I think Pikmin in HD will be amazing.

Zeliard said:
It isn't upscaling either, it's rendering it at a different, and much higher, resolution. Simplest way I can explain it is that the Wii "tells" Mario Galaxy to output at 480p, and so something that isn't the Wii can tell it to output at whatever it wants to, within its own limits.

So when the Dolphin emulator runs Galaxy at 1080p, it isn't upscaling it from 480p ---> 1080p - it's actually rendering it at 1080p. And then there's magic on your screen.
o i c.

well...let me dream anyway. :-(

ShockingAlberto said:
doooooooomed

I'm not seeing any appeal for it. I don't think anyone will care for a system that has Wii series but now has games for systems people who don't own Wii already have. $400 is way too fucking much and the controller sounds like a pointless idea. Too many of their teams are focused on 3DS right now to have a steady supply of games until 2014 as well. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Zeliard

Instro said:
I dunno in this case because the screen is so large I think multi-touch could be really useful.

One would figure they'd have multi-touch if it's a sort of traditional dual analog design, since the screen would be in quick and easy reach of both thumbs.

Dreams-Visions said:
oops. yes, that's what I meant to type.

I can dream of Dolphin-like 1080p upscaling for current Wii and past GameCube games, can't I?

Nope not upscaling. :p When you play Wii games on your 1080p television, the tv is already basically doing 480p --> 1080p upscaling with its internal scaler. You want it to render at 1080p. That's where the sexy lies.

M74

artwalknoon said:
Multi-touch would be cool but not neccesary, it does need to be capacitive and not resistive though, and I imagine it will be capacitive.
I think the rumor mill has said capacitive. Are you guys really that worried about accidentally brushing up against the screen if it were resistive? I know a lot of folks don't think about this sort of thing, but I've seen lady friends of mine with longer fingernails who struggle with certain touchscreen phones with capacitive screens. They like the DS because they don't have to worry about touching the screen with a bare finger. Just a thought.

Strengths and weaknesses to everything, I suppose.

Anth0ny

There's no way the BC for Wii will display in 1080p like Dolphin.

You think Nintendo wouldn't resell GC/Wii games in HD for $40 a piece? lololool

watershed

Banned
M74 said:
I think the rumor mill has said capacitive. Are you guys really that worried about accidentally brushing up against the screen if it were resistive? I know a lot of folks don't think about this sort of thing, but I've seen lady friends of mine with longer fingernails who struggle with certain touchscreen phones with capacitive screens. They like the DS because they don't have to worry about touching the screen with a bare finger. Just a thought.

Strengths and weaknesses to everything, I suppose.

Also capacitive is just so much nicer than resistive especially for larger screen sizes. Imagine if an ipad was resistive or your smartphone, I think that would be terrible. These days people expect crisp, capacitive touch screens so I'm glad Nintendo is following the trend, especially for displaying nice graphics or streaming movies etc.

So guys, the rumored spec now: the R700, and what seems like an overclocked 360 CPU and probably at least a gig of ram: can someone explain what this will translate to graphically?

Will it be able to do current 360/PS3 level graphics at 60 FPS, 1080P?

Honestly if this thing launches this fall with the definitive versions of games like Dragons Dogma, Asura's Wrath, and a quality Nintendo title, I'm definitely there at launch.

Give me an online system as good as Xbox Live (ok that's a pipe dream I know) and I'll sell my 360... give me an online as good as PS3 and I'll keep both consoles around. Give me friend codes and I will probably not be purchasing this machine.

antonz

Arpharmd B said:
So guys, the rumored spec now: the R700, and what seems like an overclocked 360 CPU and probably at least a gig of ram: can someone explain what this will translate to graphically?

Honestly if this thing launches this fall with the definitive versions of games like Dragons Dogma, Asura's Wrath, and a quality Nintendo title, I'm definitely there at launch.

Give me an online system as good as Xbox Live (ok that's a pipe dream I know) and I'll sell my 360... give me an online as good as PS3 and I'll keep both consoles around. Give me friend codes and I will probably not be purchasing this machine.
The CPU is likely a Power6 or Power 7 PowerPC CPU which is much more than just an overclocked cpu. Honestly the Xenon has a ton of flaws that would be eliminated very quickly in the years since release.

The GPU is likely in the 4770 Range which would more than comfortably handle games at 1080P 60 FPS in a console environment.

Anth0ny said:
There's no way the BC for Wii will display in 1080p like Dolphin.

You think Nintendo wouldn't resell GC/Wii games in HD for $40 a piece? lololool

So it won't have wii backwards compatibility? The ps2 games the original ps3 could run were upscaled and all ps1 games are upscaled.

The Wii should have been 400$ at launch. If you recall, this is what you could expect to pay on Ebay the first two years of Wii, when they were impossible to find. I know, because I was lucky enough to find one and flipped it for 400$ online in 2008.

400$ is the right price. Hell, you people do realize that an Xbox 360 is still selling for 400$. Full loaded with Kinect of course, but still there's a 400$ sku on the market today. Nintendo would be stupid to launch under 400$, especially if it ships with a big HDD and a Blu Ray drive.

I'm super pumped for this machine, though I'd be lying if it wasn't just a temporary stop-gap that helps ease my wait for the Xbox 1080. Still, what a sweet wait it will be now, and finally I can enjoy all those Nintendo franchises I've missed out on this gen. Hope they launch in 2011.

Cipherr

Arpharmd B said:

If it launched this fall even there would be no way in hell if would have those titles, let along tailored to the hardware. Call me crazy but I still dont see third parties running with this hardware no matter what it is. I dont think its a hardware gap issue, a dev relation issue so much as it is that the studios may like, and want things a certain way. They drudged on for years at the start of this gen bleeding out of their rectums until the PS360 pulled closer to even with the Wii and made releasing titles on it irrelevant. That shit didnt come easy, they worked at it. Studios were knee deep in the red, merging and closing all over the damn place.

antonz said:
The CPU is likely a Power6 or Power 7 PowerPC CPU which is much more than just an overclocked cpu. Honestly the Xenon has a ton of flaws that would be eliminated very quickly in the years since release.

The GPU is likely in the 4770 Range which would more than comfortably handle games at 1080P 60 FPS in a console environment.

Ahh, that sounds great.

donny2112 said:
Safest assumption is 3DS-type friend codes (i.e. one code per system that applies to all games).

Or maybe Nintendo will come balls out with an Xbox Live like service. I remember watching interviews with Reggie going back years and years but when he was asked what he liked about MS he said Xbox Live and specifically, Xbox Live Arcade... this was before Wii Ware even launched.

I mean in this day and age, I cannot have fun on a console without seriously good online community. 360 has spoiled me. I just need to feel connected to people. And yes, if it is comparable to XBL, I'd gladly pay for it, too.

antonz

duk said:
They prob went this h/w route due to costs and similar architecture to 360 = easy port-o-rama?

Continuing to use the next logical upgrade in the powerPC line allows easy ports from Microsoft and PC.

Anth0ny

Arpharmd B said:
I mean in this day and age, I cannot have fun on a console without seriously good online community. 360 has spoiled me. I just need to feel connected to people. And yes, if it is comparable to XBL, I'd gladly pay for it, too.

Seriously. I'd gladly pay money to play Nintendo's multiplayer games (read: Smash bros) online with minimal lag and all the other shit XBL offers.

I can't see Nintendo charging us for Online, though =(

Cipherr said:
If it launched this fall even there would be no way in hell if would have those titles, let along tailored to the hardware. Call me crazy but I still dont see third parties running with this hardware no matter what it is. I dont think its a hardware gap issue, a dev relation issue so much as it is that the studios may like, and want things a certain way. They drudged on for years at the start of this gen bleeding out of their rectums until the PS360 pulled closer to even with the Wii and made releasing titles on it irrelevant. That shit didnt come easy, they worked at it. Studios were knee deep in the red, merging and closing all over the damn place.

I disagree.

This new console would be an easy extra revenue stream for companies already developing PS3/360 titles. It's not that much different, just improved in every way.

I know Asura's Wrath and Dragon's Dogma are 2012 titles, but what makes you think Capcom wouldn't port them? MT Framework would easily scale to this hardware, no problems and Capcom would not cheap out with unoptomized ports.

Your entire post is wrong because the entire point of this new console from Nintendo is to re-establish 3rd Party relations, giving them hardware they can work with and getting a piece of the core gamer pie (just like how MS went for the casual, Wii market with Kinect, now Nintendo want's a piece of the core Xbox gamer).

It's not hard to understand, maybe it's just more obvious to me since I'm a marketing major.

Zeliard

duk said:
They prob went this h/w route due to costs and similar architecture to 360 = easy port-o-rama?

Lets them get ports to rouse up third-party support as well as potentially having enough power to put their games out at high resolutions and framerates.

If Nintendo can set a consistent bar of 1080p/60FPS with at least their first-party titles, then their games are going to truly stand out in the console crowd at least until Sony and Microsoft bring their next consoles out a couple years after, and likely even after then.

You all need to experience Cosmic Cove Galaxy at a high resolution. It's heavenly.

duk

Banned
i don't think it'll have quite the hp to push 1080p + 60fps + hdr/aa/af/etc

and there are always devs who will go 30fps to get more gfx

duk said:
i don't think it'll have quite the hp to push 1080p + 60fps + hdr/aa/af/etc

and there are always devs who will go 30fps to get more gfx

I doubt dev's will be pushing this hardware in this way, though. Just look at the PC market. same assets as 360/PS3, the extra horsepower is used to push better framerates and resolutions.

I'd be happy with definitive versions of multiplatform games for the next full year or two (or maybe even three if you believe Kotaku), and beautiful HD Nintendo games fully utilizing the power.

watershed

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
I'd be happy with definitive versions of multiplatform games for the next full year or two (or maybe even three if you believe Kotaku), and beautiful HD Nintendo games fully utilizing the power.

I'm not sure about third parties but we'll definitely be getting this part. I too hope Nintendo gets some serious 3rd party support, but as is always the case with Nintendo its the first party stuff I'm most looking forward to.

duk

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
I doubt dev's will be pushing this hardware in this way, though. Just look at the PC market. same assets as 360/PS3, the extra horsepower is used to push better framerates and resolutions.

I'd rather have uber 1st party games in HD glory than up-spec'd 360/ps3 games though!

Also, when ps4/720 comes out we'll have the definitive Wii2 games? lol... so weird this gen and next will be.

Medalion

Banned
VerTiGo said:
3DS and WiiHD prices are adjusted to inflation. It's not Nintendo....
Don't argue with the consumer base, we don't care if you have to fit god into a portable box, we want it cheap and we want it nao

Reallink

v1oz said:

artwalknoon said:

The whole point of streaming is that the controller doesn't need to include the kind of hardware your talking about. If it did it would be a handheld or a tablet not a controller with a screen.

This controller device will require modest-decent processing capabilities on its own (among several other components) to handle communication, decoding, output, and user interaction. It obviously won't be on the level of a modern portable or tablet, but it won't be all together "dumb" either.

carlo6529 said:

depends on the games and the system.
Can't see why you even bought a 3DS. I've played one two days ago and yesterday and i was really underwhelmed by it. I liked the 3D effect a bit but.. it didn't really play a part anymore within 5 minutes of playing.

watershed

Banned
Always-honest said:
depends on the games and the system.
Can't see why you even bought a 3DS. I've played one two days ago and yesterday and i was really underwhelmed by it. I liked the 3D effect a bit but.. it didn't really play a part anymore within 5 minutes of playing.

Really? The 3d is pretty awesome and the 3ds itself is a pretty good package at the moment. Its only missing more/better games and a few hardware features (i.e. online stuff, eShop). The system itself is very solid and the built in stuff is great.

artwalknoon said:
Really? The 3d is pretty awesome and the 3ds itself is a pretty good package at the moment. Its only missing more/better games and a few hardware features (i.e. online stuff, eShop). The system itself is very solid and the built in stuff is great.
i dunno.. i wasn't impressed. maybe later on when the games get better.

Utako said:
1080p!

60fps!
iii.. don't think so.

Reallink said:
This controller device will require modest-decent processing capabilities on its own (among several other components) to handle communication, decoding, output, and user interaction. It obviously won't be on the level of a modern portable or tablet, but it won't be all together "dumb" either.

Well of course, but the Wiimote already supports a speaker and has a hardware image processor inside it.

Top Bottom