• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's top 100 games of last gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost23

I don't think I could even make a list past the top 15. It's so subjective that no one will agree. For what it is this list is pretty good.

Razzorn34

Honestly, the title needs to have console somewhere in it. Having a broad title like that, but having no PC or handheld games in it, is just horrible.

Probably because it's not as easy to define PC games as being in a particular generation.

Year of first last gen console coming out to the latest year of a game you place on your list.

Truth is, they don't have as much of a focus on PC as they do on consoles on multimedia sites like this. Which is extremely stupid considering how much money League and other MOBA's make.

mrmickfran

IGN, there are times where I love you, and there are times where I hate you.

I hate you for listing Bayonetta, Xenoblade and Catherine so low and not even including Sin & Punishment and Donkey Kong.

I love you for listing Super Mario Galaxy as number 1.

VLiberty

Uh, SMG gets a fuckload of recognition. Sometimes too much tbh.

It doesn't mean anything for the Wii recognition. DKCR is a wonderful game, in my opionion the best 2d platformer ever made(have yet to play TF though), and that's not even on the list.

They just got the mainstream games like Mario, Zelda and Wii Sports, with Xenoblade being the only exception.(though that was massively loved by forum guys)
No way in hell a top 100 list which has NSMB Wii on 72nd place and misses DKCR, can be considered good.

(And no R&C, lèl.)

HeelPower

Really disappointing first position. Dark Souls was too low.At least top three and definitely my pick fir 1st. Witcher 2 is absolutely top 5 as well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Me said:
-Bioshock Nope
-Mario Galaxy 2 - Almost
-Mass Effect 2 - Nope
-Last of Us - Yep
-GTA 5 - Yep
-Dark Souls - Nope
-Red Dead Redemption - Yep
-Gears 2 - Nope
-Uncharted 2 -Nope

I give myself a 3,5/10

It was empty. There were too few NPCs, small towns and it was copy & pasta wilderness. There were no bikes, cars or boats despite existing at that time, only horse and carriage. You couldn't even swim.

I agree that the story and personality were excellent in RDR and I enjoyed it very much. However, the game was very lacking in features compared to GTA V, heck even IV packed a lot more. Maybe they had more time to work on story and personality because the scope was so small in comparison.

It was definitely less packed but still, that made sense for that game compared to games in two of the largest cities in the US. Even though there were less vehicles, horseback riding, finding and taming better horses was a lot of fun, so were the haunted ones.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
A few of my personal favourites are missing (eg. Alpha Protocol, Yakuza 3 & 4, Valkyria Chronicles, EDF 2017, Folklore, Chromehounds etc.) but the number one is a great choice. There were so many fantastic games that came out over the last 8 or so years that I'd have great trouble making a top 100 list myself.

It improved the combat and had some better character writing, but everything else was a step down. That feeling of a galactic frontier with new planets, races, technology, history and so on to discover around every corner was gone. Everything about the setting just felt so "done and established" in ME2 and 3. The stripped down RPG-elements were kind of dissappointing as well.

It had dramatically better character writing and dramatically better combat. The combat in ME1 is absolute garbage after playing ME2 let alone ME3.

I see what you mean about that galactic frontier but that was more than okay with me. The series isn't Star Trek. ME1 is more about discovery while ME2 had this super focused concept which I personally loved. You get to know the characters and the world so much better.

Also an overly complicated item system does not make a good RPG. Invemtory managamenet doesn't either. The talent system and how you allocate points was simplified a bit too much but on the other end of the spectrum each class felt defined. Class powers helped with that and gave the game a tom of replay ability.

But really I think there will always be ME1 people and there will always be ME2 people. I loved all three games so its irrelevant for me really.

Dang, I am honestly surprised that Modern Warfare 2 is not on that list considering how big the hype was for that game.
Super Mario Galaxy deserves that top #1 spot!!!

Sorry, but Borderlands 2 should not be that high on the list. It was boring compared to the first one, and there are games not even on this list that are better.

Kriken

Well I guess Wii Sports did define the Wii's success so I can't quite blame IGN for that. And while I prefer Galaxy 2 to Galaxy, Galaxy was pretty much the defining Mario game and overall game of last generation imo.

Overall, list could've been better, but I guess that's what GAF's list will be for

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Good list. There's some I would have moved around (GTA V would be MUCH lower for example), but they had a solid top 10, and I'm happy to see portal 2 get the recognition it deserves, because back in 2011 people seemed to forget about it by GOTY time.

Portal 2 was IGN's Game of the Year - not Skyrim.

watershed

Banned
I would have put Uncharted 2 ahead of The Last of us. The former felt like it merely iterated on what Uncharted nearly perfected in terms of gameplay, level design, and set pieces. TLOU tried to have a more emotional component but that didn't quite work for me. Similar to how the list has Galaxy 1 ahead of Galaxy 2, I would swap Uncharted 2 and TLOU.

Anth0ny

I hate when stuff like Minecraft, COD4 and Wii Sports show up so high on lists.

If you're going to make a most influential games of the gen list, then make that list. I can't take a top 100 games of the gen list seriously when it has Wii Sports over games like Galaxy 2 or Dark Souls.

sometimes I wonder how many people actually played Galaxy 2

like, literally everyone I've ever seen compare the two puts 2 over 1

yet here there's 19 places between the two

IGN said:
#82 Halo 3
#28 Halo 4

Jon-Stewart-Spits-Out-His-Popcorn-Gif.gif

What in the actual fuck, IGN?

If you're going to make a most influential games of the gen list, then make that list. I can't take a top 100 games of the gen list seriously when it has Wii Sports over games like Galaxy 2 or Dark Souls.
But if longevity, uniqueness and influence are part of the criteria those games being so high make sense.

Petrie

Banned

Sucks, because Wii Sports is a better game than Dark Souls.

ohlawd

hey you know what, screw you
Galaxy 1's soundtrack is far better

crazy. you crazy.

I like 1's music a bit better. Yeah, I used bit and not far :p

I like 2 more for just about everything else. The great thing about 2 is that it didn't have a shit hub like 1's

edit: ok, so one crazy person and one half-crazy person. I can deal.

khaaan

sometimes I wonder how many people actually played Galaxy 2

like, literally everyone I've ever seen compare the two puts 2 over 1

yet here there's 19 places between the two

Galaxy 2 is better than 1 but I think by virtue of being the first game that introduced many of the concepts it felt much more impactful.

Overall I think it's a pretty good list. Things like these are always so subjective that no matter the ordering was there would be people complaining about an omission or ordering. From the things I've played on that list, I would agree that they should be on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom