• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'll give it to Sony, I would have axed Media Molecule/Dreams by now

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Personally, I'd have axed them after LBP2.

I'd also trade their existence for Studio Liverpool's or Evolution's in a heartbeat.

Elfstruck

MM is the most beloved studio at WWS. Their creativity is unrival compared to any of WWS studios, and you don't shut down a studio just because the game is taking too long.

Also, look at Evolution's track record, they had plenty of chances.

Speevy

Banned
Talking about axing companies is a fucking terrible thought in this gaming landscape.

We already lost enough companies last gen. due to all the upheaval. Why would you want to lose a company that actually sets out to make interesting and unique games?

I'd also trade their existence for Studio Liverpool's or Evolution's in a heartbeat.

This is business not nostalgia or game preference.

Talking about axing companies is a fucking terrible thought in this gaming landscape.

We already lost enough companies last gen. due to all the upheaval. Why would you want to lose a company that actually sets out to make interesting and unique games?

A company that did that while making a ton of money in the process.

Tagg9

What a horribly repugnant thing to say.

They haven't released a major title since 2011, and Dreams is commercially nonviable as far as I'm concerned. So they've been paying salaries for 6 years already, with practically no hope that the end result is going to earn back the amount of money spent on the studio. For 50 employees over 6 years, that's around $25 million.

I think the OP's question is very reasonable.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Haha, I know that title is gonna flame Me to hell, but it's my opinion about mm and dreams. Sometimes I'll forget that dreams still exists.

I have to give Sony some respect here. This was apparently being worked on as early as gamescom..... 2012. Mm has been working on dreams for the past 5 years. My gut says that dreams won't be released on 2017,so we are looking at maybe 6 years of Dev time.

But Sony has been keeping media molecule alive for awhile to release a very niche title.
I do not see dreams doing very well commercially in my opinion. Looks like one of those very artsy games that does well critically, but flops in sales.

Anyways, just surprised Sony has been keeping mm around for as long as they have. From a business perspective, just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I mean, they've closed down entire Dev studios for less. I mean, yeah, drive club didn't set the world on fire and it had problems, but give em a second chance for fuck sakes. At least they put out a game on the ps4.

Long story short,
Hope we see more of dreams at E3. Because what the hell is happening with that game? If they come to E3 with two wands and start sculpting some geezers face, then that game is dead to me, lol.

lmao a "second" chance. Is that after the motorstorm flub with the target render, the delay, and the horrible load time issues? Or how about motorstorm apocolypse and the whole debacle surrounding that. To top it off the driveclub disaster was a huge embarrasment with the game not working until about 4 months after it launched. They were given ample opportunity. Guerilla Cambridge on the other hand...

Maybe not, but I think idea of Media Molecule being shut down because Dreams is taking longer than anticipated is a bit much. I think they have earned their keep compared to most of Sony first party studios. Do you have insight as to how Sony views them?

Their last major release was tearaway which massively under performed. I definitely don't see Dreams doing well. I think most people are aware it's more than likely going to tank.

And so would a decent Conker or Banjo game.

Doesn't change the fact that these studios have significantly longer dev times than the norm, despite other studios putting out similar quality at lower costs and within quicker timeframes.

I want to see a sourcertain about the profit part for the GT series.

lmao a "second" chance. Is that after the motorstorm flub with the target render, the delay, and the horrible load time issues? Or how about motorstorm apocolypse and the whole debacle surrounding that. To top it off the driveclub disaster was a huge embarrasment with the game not working until about 4 months after it launched. They were given ample opportunity. Guerilla Cambridge on the other hand...

Their last major release was tearaway which massively under performed.
I definitely don't see Dreams doing well. I think most people are aware it's more than likely going to tank.

Tearaway was aside project made by like 15 people for Vita. Hardly a "major" project. It was a flop, but honestly was much really expected?

I'm the boss, I can do what I want.

You wouldn't last long.

Speevy

Banned
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's save game developers' jobs across the board and pay them your salary so they can feed their families.

I don't know what kind of diabolical little shit you'd have to be to want to step into the leatherback chair of the guy who has to decide which studios to dissolve. There's a job in the Trump administration for you, I'm sure.

Dabi

You can't be serious. Axe the geniuses that brought you LittleBigPlanet? Can't wait for Dreams to release to put shit like this to rest.

Literally no one in the industry can emulate the kinds of experiences that MM creates and when you're trying to differentiate yourself from your competitors, having MM in your back pocket gives you a huge leg up

Their last major release was tearaway which massively under performed. I definitely don't see Dreams doing well. I think most people are aware it's more than likely going to tank.

Well we still have to see how it really is.
Plus with good marketing they could do really well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tearaway was aside project made by like 15 people for Vita. Hardly a "major" project. It was a flop, but honestly was much really expected?

Tearaway unfolded was the side project. I could be wrong, but I thought tearaway was the full team. If it wasn't, then their last major release was what?

Axe them after releasing their best game? Yikes.
You can't be serious. Axe the geniuses that brought you LittleBigPlanet? Can't wait for Dreams to release to put shit like this to rest.

Literally no one in the industry can emulate the kinds of experiences that MM creates and when you're trying to differentiate yourself from your competitors, having MM in your back pocket gives you a huge leg up
Woah. I love LBP2, one of my favorite games, but you're forgetting Nintendo. They still make really great games that most simply can't emulate.

I still don't see how MM constantly comes up as the first studio to get the axe when Bend is arguably in a far worse position. I mean I don't want either to get cut and hopefully both of their upcoming releases do well, but if we are strictly talking performance it's no contest.

Tearaway unfolded was the side project. I could be wrong, but I thought tearaway was the full team. If it wasn't, then their last major release was what?

I don't think either version of that game was made by the entire staff. Could someone else please verify that though.

JordanN

Banned
It's not always about money.

If they kill all these studios, they look no different than a 3rd party publisher who sells a console. At that point, might as well just go third party.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's save game developers' jobs across the board and pay them your salary so they can feed their families.

I don't know what kind of diabolical little shit you'd have to be to want to step into the leatherback chair of the guy who has to decide which studios to dissolve. There's a job in the Trump administration for you, I'm sure.

I mean unfortunately that's business though. You can't just keep a company that's bleeding you or not putting out content. The evolution cut unfortunately made sense.

LittleBigPlanet 2.

So they haven't made a full title in 6 years. Jeeeeeeeezzzz.

I've made my stance clear on the dreams thing. Yes I get that it's a "platform" for games. Things like this have existed forever. What you have to understand is that gamers for the most part aren't interested in making games, they're interested in playing them. LBP didn't sell because of the UGC or the ability to build your own levels... it sold because the sackboy was adorable and it was an easy game to pick up and play.

Dabi

So it's a point and click puzzle game, with a great level maker? They do say this is just 1 of the characters and he's limit to just walking around, do we know how many characters there'll be?

It's not a point and click puzzle game. It's LittleBigPlanet in a 3D space.

Hydrargyrus

I'm still wondering what the hell is going on with Dreams and how this could end being a playable game.

I know Sony like to try new things, but the credit they give to MM is beyond normal

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm still wondering what the hell is going on with Dreams and how this could end being a playable game.

I know Sony like to try new things, but the credit they give to MM is beyond normal

They can make a campaign of sorts, but at the moment there is simply no hook whatsoever. As I said above, the sackboy was the hook, and the platforming. The generating levels was completely secondary to that.

jjonez18

Studio is too talented to axe. If Dreams ends up bombing, Sony will probably tighten the reigns on all that "creativity" and put them on a project a little more safe and grounded. I imagine their past works have been profitable. We know they were well received. Guerilla said that's how Sony works in their latest interview. As long as the studio is making money they have creative freedom.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They're pretty fucked at this point. I never thought Sony would let Cambridge go, but here we are. That yearly "who to cut" decision in 2018 is gonna be a pretty obvious one.

Take no joy in it but fuck me have they let feature creep and lack of focus take Dreams into the thicket. Ironically no Cambridge around to save them this time!

So it's a point and click puzzle game, with a great level maker? They do say this is just 1 of the characters and he's limit to just walking around, do we know how many characters there'll be?

Edit: Just saw there's a platformer character too.

Maybe this video explains it better see the first 20 seconds of the video to see the different gameplay varieties you can experience with user generated content.

https://youtu.be/hNSH1vKOK9o

Dabi

They can make a campaign of sorts, but at the moment there is simply no hook whatsoever. As I said above, the sackboy was the hook, and the platforming. The generating levels was completely secondary to that.

Play, Create, Share was and still is the emphasis. I do agree that lack of a mascot or something to identify the game might make the game a difficult sell but I'm sure the marketing teams will have that covered

Haven't they been doing regular streams with progress reports, showing off elements of the game etc? I watched a few last year, looks pretty crazy.

They haven't shown anything on stream for 7 months!

BUT they're obviously hitting milestones that Sony are happy with. One of their last live streams (8 months ago) had Shuhei in the studio playing the game. And it showed off a pretty established UI for navigating content link and enough polish all round to have been sent out as a Alpha/Beta. So I would guess it was more a collective decision to drop a beta rather than a "shit we aint ready!!"

Gradly

This case was brought in other threads before and I'll just refer to my post answering the same question:

maybe you don't know that one of MM employees might be the father (or whatever) of Move and later PSVR which is a completely new tech/business for Sony. The idea is that you never know what happens behind the scenes, a game studio isn't necessarily a game factory, it might be an R&D center working on the next big thing

RexNovis

Banned
They haven't released a major title since 2011, and Dreams is commercially nonviable as far as I'm concerned. So they've been paying salaries for 6 years already, with practically no hope that the end result is going to earn back the amount of money spent on the studio. For 50 employees over 6 years, that's around $25 million.

I think the OP's question is very reasonable.

I disagree. Discussing how deserving a studio is of closure without a hint of remorse or empathy is repulsive imo. Basically this:

Make no mistake I am no fan of Media Molecule but just because they don't make games I like doesn't mean I think they should be closed down. Get back to me when they release a horribly broken glitchy mess and we will talk but until then lets not go popping off about how such and such studios should be closed especially when said studio is a critical darling and one of the very very few studios striving to make the sort of family friendly games that are incredibly important for bringing in a new generation of younger gamers that are crucial to the future of the industry.

They're pretty fucked at this point. I never thought Sony would let Cambridge go, but here we are. That yearly "who to cut" decision in 2018 is gonna be a pretty obvious one.

Take no joy in it but fuck me have they let feature creep and lack of focus take Dreams into the thicket. Ironically no Cambridge around to save them this time!

Again there is likely one studio ahead of them on hypothetical chopping block.

You guys have weirdly high expectations of company executives.

Not really .
Saying that you would shut them down after LBP2 is stupid .

Which executive is going to shut down a team of 30 people ( when LBP2 came out )
That sold 3 plus million with loads of DLC .
Company executives like making money .

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Again there is likely one studio ahead of them on hypothetical chopping block.

I could see Bend next year, MM after (albeit a cut down 'run the servers/dlc' MM with their fate somewhat obvious).

That's bullshit. You should be a spin doctor. Do you actually believe that is a proper way to describe Dreams? Also see Fable Legends for how well those whimsy console focused MMOs have turned out so far if we are going to outrageously oversimplify things.
I'll be honest, I only recall the game through its various E3 appearances. From those, I recall it was a sculpting tool with some basic stop-motion animation elements?

It seems neat, but TiltBrush seems to be executing that same concept on a way more interesting level.

Speevy

Banned
Nigel, Eric, Timothy (I made those names up), get in here.

You just generated thousands of dollars in revenue for about 20 different companies at the same time.

I'm sorry. The studio is closed.

Combined sales of MM's developed LBP games are now around 10 million. Add to that 60+ million DLC downloads. OP needs to actually attempt *some* amount of research next time before suggesting he would have closed them down (and thus be making a terrible business decision).

From 2012: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503740

As for Dreams, it is running on a rendering engine that is unlike traditional 3D engines and the same performance-driven approach is being designed for audio, advanced logic (akin to LBP), with the ability to export your models for use with other 3D applications and 3D printing.

You never know. Dream could be a smash hit on a mine craft scale.
Totally. I've been hurting for more ever since getting to check it out in person back in 2015.

Top Bottom