• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm noticing a lot of celebrities are advertising the Switch now

Cuningas de Häme;238160361 said:
You guys have any idea how much that would cost?

A lot less than a Superbowl ad. Most celebs have set rates for this. It's not a dig at Nintendo, and if they are paid ads you should be glad they're finally doing publicity right.

And "disgusting"? Seriously people are taking this far too personally.

Why are you pushing this lie so hard.

Why are you so sure that it's false?
Celebrities rarely advertise for free, and Social Media Influencers are the new hotness in marketing. It's easy to be skeptical.
Cuningas de Häme;238160361 said:
GAF is so disgusting sometimes...
Don't worry, your precious Nintendo will be ok from these grievous insults and accusations!

Budi

Because it's true. I make these kind of deals.

It's part of my job.

Well could you clear up the disclosing the deal part? I know it doesn't need to be #ad but it needs to be disclosed in some way right? Like saying it in the tweet itself "glad to partner up with" etc.

Why are you so sure that it's false?
Celebrities rarely advertise for free, and Social Media Influencers are the new hotness in marketing. It's easy to be skeptical.

Because I thought there were some laws or regulations about this stuff. I'm hugely disappointed if not.

It´s called "influencer marketing" and it´s huge.

I work in advertising and I have to deal with a lot of these super annoying individuals recently.
You're nobody if you don't have the follower numbers to prove it and google analytics with all of your viewers' demographic information readily available
to sell

It's part of my job.
Did you pay him? You can't definitively state how or why his post came about simply because you work in the industry and have done similar things.

Could it not also be possible that a human being that people know enjoys the same thing as other human beings? Is there no chance of that? Nobody in this thread is The Weekend or represents The Weekend or manages his social media.

Also, today I learned there is somebody named "The Weekend."

which gif is being referenced here?

yTJNrPx.gif
Your comment just reminded me of it because a lot of pepole here didn't buy that he was legitimately excited for the switch until someone noticed him doing this at a basketball game

oneils

It's part of my job.

What's the current regulatory landscape like now? Do these paid tweets need to be disclosed or is everyone waiting for the first fine to see what happens?

Your comment just reminded me of it because a lot of pepole here didn't buy that he was legitimately excited for the switch until someone noticed him doing this at a basketball game

Hahah! That's just like me, anyone who asks about it I show it off too, and I love taking the joycons off to show them, and let them hold them.

If you run influencer ads without noting it in some way then you're violating FTC guidelines, so I really hope you're not doing that.
Any possible FTC litigation is so minimal compared to profit generated, it's like fining bank institutions less than what they stole- and in an industry that routinely sells target renders to willing customers no less.

I don't know how the default assumption isn't that these are paid promotions.

The Switch is a good console. I'm sure a good amount of these individuals play with it often. But these celebrities are a brand and they would not normally give an item free exposure.

The best promotions look natural.

Tbh he's probably just playing the game. There's a difference between like Beyonce in that Rhythm Heaven ad and not as popular musicians casually showing what game they are playing on their social media. I mean, Weeknd liked the instagram video of a certain producer when he was pulling out the Master Sword in Zelda.

Brinbe

Lol that's not an ad.
Wtf? Really think some of y'all need to get out of the GAF mindset and think about what reality looks like.
Not everything is so cynical.

oneils

Any possible FTC litigation is so minimal compared to profit generated, it's like fining bank institutions less than what they stole.

Yeah, looks like everyone, in US, is proceeding as usual waiting to see if any guidelines will actually be enforced. If they are ever enforced, then we'll see whether or not people change their behaviour.

Celebrities aren't usually payed to advertise, company's send free shit to them all the time hoping they tweet or take a picture with it. I work for a company that does this all the time.

oneils

But John Mayer is American though and his residence seems to be Montana.

Yeah so would FTC investigate his tweet to see if it was paid? Seems unlikely that they would bother. Seems like any guidelines they have might be toothless. We'll see I guess.

Edit: no problem.

Did you pay him? You can't definitively state how or why his post came about simply because you work in the industry and have done similar things.

Could it not also be possible that a human being that people know enjoys the same thing as other human beings? Is there no chance of that? Nobody in this thread is The Weekend or represents The Weekend or manages his social media.

Also, today I learned there is somebody named "The Weekend."

That's not his name, it's just his monitor for his music. Most people don't know him by Abel, so people just say The Weeknd.

Celebrities aren't usually payed to advertise, company's send free shit to them all the time hoping they tweet or take a picture with it. I work for a company that does this all the time.

Exactly. Abel is most likely on a companies radar because he is a known gamer. He might also be the type to buy any new console, both wouldn't surprise me.

But I'm almost positive he was not paid for this, like some people are suggesting or even outright saying is fact.

Zakalwe

Banned
I bought a Switch to play Zelda then sell on. Since then I've had to dramatically re-work my short-term budgeting because I just can't let it go! I even worked out a plan to sell my PS4 instead (thankfully I had to do neither).

It's such a charming device. Being able to pay sp games while I travel and break it out for local multiplayer when the situation arises (hanging out with friends in a pub garden, park, etc...) is so much fun.

I honestly think the most likely scenario is that Nintendo sent him one for free with no contractual obligations.

The Weeknd is 27, i'm extremely sure he played Mario Kart for the GBA or SNES as a kid and he genuinely got hooked on MK8 when he actually tried it out....

...or he got paid and Nintendo marketing is on fire right now.

I know people want to believe that he genuinely enjoys his switch, and that could likely still be the case, but this thread is going to go nowhere worthwhile if its just a "Genuine vs Marketing" debate and cynical people attempting to prove their side.

Top Bottom