• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm over those mini games in FF Rebirth

RCU005

I fucking hate them.

It's not that the mini games are bad, it's that it's way too fucking much! They couldn't make one or two, they had to make tons of them. Then, they couldn't make so that you play them once or twice, they make you play them endlessly.

Like Queen's Blood! There are just too many times.
Chocobo Races: There couldn't be just like 5 races. There had to be like 25 of them.
Piano Shit: They couldn't make it fun, they had to put the most annoying songs (Cinco de Chocobo, etc) and make it extremely difficult!

Everything in this game is a fucking mini game! What the fuck were developers thinking?! I'm over it! Fuck this shit!

Did I buy Final Fantasy 7 or did I buy Mario Fucking Party!

It's extremely tedious!

/rant

You have to play them? I genuinely don't know, haven't played the game.

I'll say as far as mini-games are concerned, I loved Liar's Dice in Red Dead Redemption 1. I ended up teaching all the guys I was stationed with to play it and it became a regular Friday Night drinking game for us. Then I ended up teaching my family it and it's now a standard part of our rotation when we have a game night. I was sad when they didn't have Liar's Dice in RDR2.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Queen's Blood is good until its like "Lemme tell you this TRAGIC backstory over the creator" that shit is GARBAGE. This isn't Yu-Gi-Oh

FF VII sometimes catches shit for mini game over load but Rebirth mini games are insane. I sorta liked the Dolphin mini game even if it was stupid as fuck.

RCU005

but Rebirth mini games are insane

I mean, they are extremely well done, and in that way developers put a lot of care and thought in them. However, they completely overdid it!

Even if you don’t care about trophies, some good items are behind winning extremely difficult and/or annoying mini games.

They should’ve made them just fun without being difficult.

When you start the game, you like them, but I am almost at the end of the game, and by this time, it’s impossible not to hate them, because whether it’s story related or not, there are mini games for absolutely everything!

Thank god they didn’t make walking or combat a fucking mini game! But they were so fucking close!

Last edited:
There are definitely a lot of them. The more action based ones like the Star Fox clone, chocobo racing, and chocobo flying are all fine.

The piano one definitely sucks. Not sure why it couldn't have just been done with regular button inputs like so many other rhythm games.

I'm leaning towards not liking queens blood but I feel like I missed something because I don't have anything in my deck close to the powerful/ legendary cards that all my opponents seem to have.

sigmaZ

I'm still later on in the Corel section, but I'm not bothered by them. When did they start getting on your nerves? I'm curious.
I don't think this game at any point so far has built any tension in the plot that breaks the pacing so far.
I just finished Infinite Wealth which also had a lot of side content, but i only did as much as I felt like. I never felt forced to do any of it.
In FF7 Rebirth I see a lot of the side content to be an alternate way to level up other than traditional grinding.
I WILL say though that I don't like some of the controls in some mini games, because if there's anything games like this remind me, the PS5 controller sucks and is often unreliable.

Kumomeme

the game content is massive. over 80 hours still not finished but too much mini games. at first im fine with it and i praise the devs for the massive effort but after more dozens of hours put in and close to end, instead of things feels slow down, it grow more rampant. it feels like there is no end in sight. more and more need to be done(yeah i know, side quest are optional) but lot of side quest are revolve around mini games. its like experiencing mini games fatique. also rather than each mini games can be done quickly, the devs decided to drag the section longer than it should be. the chocobo race sidequest is good example. you need to participate in a cup but before that you need to atleast win 3-4 race beforehand. all throw at you in one go. atleast make this stuff done bit by bit through the game progression. sometimes the game feels like minigame simulator to me.

Muffdraul

Almost as soon as the game released I noticed people complaining about too many mini games, but I had to get all the way to Cosmo Canyon before I saw their point.

Queen's Blood can S my D, I haven't played it since the tournament on the ship from Junon to Costa del Sol, and I came close to skipping it then. But I almost played it again when I encountered the black robe guy in the mako poisoning treatment center standing next to a QB board moaning "Plaaaay... meeee..."

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Skip them, the game has a clear point of no return where you can go back and do everything you missed if you want. But you arent losing anything by not doing everything.

Lol I only focus on QB related minigames. The rest are one and done if its too tedious. I do like about 1/3rd of all the minigames. The piano, rocket league featuring red xiii, the ps1 punchout.

There are definitely a lot of them. The more action based ones like the Star Fox clone, chocobo racing, and chocobo flying are all fine.

The piano one definitely sucks. Not sure why it couldn't have just been done with regular button inputs like so many other rhythm games.

I'm leaning towards not liking queens blood but I feel like I missed something because I don't have anything in my deck close to the powerful/ legendary cards that all my opponents seem to have.
The best cards are from beating players. So start from the grasslands and work your way to the top and you'll have unbeatable decks.

Are they obligatory like in the original?

Not asking to invalidate what you are saying or anything like that, just asking because if they are obligatory, I'm straight up not going to play this game.

I fucking HATE every mini-game in FF 7, besides the squatting one.
And knowing that Rebirth tripled those mini-games, really makes me bummed.

Not asking to invalidate what you are saying or anything like that, just asking because if they are obligatory, I'm straight up not going to play this game.
No, this is mainly a completionist's problem.

The rest of you who don't care won't ever be annoyed by it if you stick to the main story. It's not like FF16 where they sneakily put a ton of mandatory side quests as part of the main quest in the second half of that game.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

I fucking HATE every mini-game in FF 7, besides the squatting one.
And knowing that Rebirth tripled those mini-games, really makes me bummed.
If the top of my head I think there are two instances where its mandatory.

I fucking hate them.

It's not that the mini games are bad, it's that it's way too fucking much! They couldn't make one or two, they had to make tons of them. Then, they couldn't make so that you play them once or twice, they make you play them endlessly.

Like Queen's Blood! There are just too many times.
Chocobo Races: There couldn't be just like 5 races. There had to be like 25 of them.
Piano Shit: They couldn't make it fun, they had to put the most annoying songs (Cinco de Chocobo, etc) and make it extremely difficult!

Everything in this game is a fucking mini game! What the fuck were developers thinking?! I'm over it! Fuck this shit!

Did I buy Final Fantasy 7 or did I buy Mario Fucking Party!

It's extremely tedious!

/rant
After reading about the mini games and seeing the forrest/mountain environments I just skipped this game. Sold the remake, which I did enjoy, but didn't find what I have seen of Rebirth appealing.

Go_Ly_Dow

How so?

I continue to hear that the game is chock full of forced minigames and am decidedly turned off by the idea of them.

Are you saying that that isn't the case?

I played the demo, it was good.
Well you're saying you enjoyed the demo (which I think undersells how spectacular the full game and world is by a lot) and you had the conviction to buy the game, but you're now saying you may not ever play it because some other people don't like the minigames? So you've been put off playing a game by some opinions on GAF. Those negative opinions will tend to be the vocal minority who want to vent.

To really ascertain what the majority consensus or a wider audience of people think of the game it's best to look at data, rather than individual comments.

Here's some data:

Metacritic critical score: After a whopping 142 critic reviews, 9.2/10. 136 positive, 0 mixed, 0 negative. (the other 6 are outlets who don't give scores)
Metacritic user score: After 2,757 user reviews, 9.0/10.
PSN score: After 26,200+ user scores, 4.75/5.

Considering the number of reviews for each, which is a lot higher than a lot of games these are excellent scores with an overall very positive senitment about the game.

You may end up enjoying a lot of the minigames dotted throughout as some are very well done and aren't an after throught like in other games. Many are very short, and many can be skipped or are optional.

Either way I think it's well worth giving the game a shot yourself considering 1, you own it and 2 you enjoyed the demo. Switch off GAF and enjoy.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

No, this is mainly a completionist's problem.

The rest of you who don't care won't ever be annoyed by it if you stick to the main story. It's not like FF16 where they sneakily put a ton of mandatory side quests as part of the main quest in the second half of that game.
There are forced minigames, like Queen's Blood. At least two sections where you can't progress the story unless you complete those QB matches.

And Queen's Blood sucks.

Last edited:
There are forced minigames, like Queen's Blood. At least two sections where you can't progress the story unless you complete those QB matches.

And Queen's Blood sucks.
While true, they don't make you go on a long stint of playing hours of only Queen's Blood in order to progress. You play the small amount of what they present and then it's over. FF16 had me searching for cooking tools, then farming tools, then building tools, then the person who's good with tools, then tools for the tools, all being mandatory.

That's why I'm pointing out that FF7R2 isn't as bad as that. This is mainly a completionist's problem.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
This is exactly why I haven’t picked it up. The pull up trash ruined part 1 for me and the sheer amount of mini games in part 2 make it not even worth it for me. Especially tying that shit to trophies as well. I’ll just stick to my memories of the original. I might give this a go when it eventually comes to ps plus, but I’ve never been a fan of mini games in video games, even way back to earlier games in the series. To me it’s just generic filler.

Well you're saying you enjoyed the demo (which I think undersells how spectacular the full game and world is by a lot) and you had the conviction to buy the game, but you're now saying you may not ever play it because some other people don't like the minigames? So you've been put off playing a game by some opinions on GAF. Those negative opinions will tend to be the vocal minority who want to vent.

To really ascertain what the majority consensus or a wider audience of people think of the game it's best to look at data, rather than individual comments.

Here's some data:

Metacritic critical score: After a whopping 142 critic reviews, 9.2/10. 136 positive, 0 mixed, 0 negative. (the other 6 are outlets who don't give scores)
Metacritic user score: After 2,757 user reviews, 9.0/10.
PSN score: After 26,200+ user scores, 4.75/5.

Considering the number of reviews for each, which is a lot higher than a lot of games these are excellent scores with an overall very positive senitment about the game.

You may end up enjoying a lot of the minigames dotted throughout as some are very well done and aren't an after throught like in other games. Many are very short, and many can be skipped or are optional.

Either way I think it's well worth giving the game a shot yourself considering 1, you own it and 2 you enjoyed the demo. Switch off GAF and enjoy.
Reviews are a good barometer, but I'm cognizant of the fact that there's a lot of love for the source material and nostalgia probably had some effect, here.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your willingness to go the extra mile in dispelling what's being said in the thread in a rationale manner.

I'm big on collector's editions and the Deluxe Edition came with some nice goodies.

I will give it a shot, I owe you that much. I'll circle back.

Go_Ly_Dow

Reviews are a good barometer, but I'm cognizant of the fact that there's a lot of love for the source material and nostalgia probably had some effect, here.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your willingness to go the extra mile in dispelling what's being said in the thread in a rationale manner.

I'm big on collector's editions and the Deluxe Edition came with some nice goodies.

I will give it a shot, I owe you that much. I'll circle back.
Nice well I hope you enjoy it! When it comes to the minigames I don't know the overall consensus. But the consensus on the overall game seems firmly very positive by the majority is all I was trying to signal I guess. Overall they're a small component of the game to consider, there's also the narrative, world design, art direction, music, battle system, game systems, game scope, characters, side content etc...

Some and me included love queens blood, the card game for example whilst others don't like it. Some love minigame xyz and others don't. Some love them all, others hate them all lol. It comes down to general mindset, openess, preferences etc... The game is AAA but it's not trying to be a pristine AAA in terms of game design like Sony 1st party games, they try things that you wouldn't get in those titles, for better or worse you decide.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

And Queen's Blood sucks.
You know you can opt out, right? You can forfeit without even playing a match.

Should have had more

Some, you can skip the vast majority of them.
And if you do, you can miss some top tier equipment.

Honestly, I literally came to make this thread. The gold cup chocobo race is beyond bullshit. The 3D fighter is bullshit.

Honestly, I feel like fucking throwing my pad across the room when I'm first place and a fucking cactuar gate just happens to close as I'm a second away from going through it and before I know it, I'm tenth.

I honestly hate some of them.

peronmls

Kingdom hearts 3 should have had the mini games and charming stuff that ff7re did. Weird that they did so much of that in ff7rebirth. I feel like the anime nonsense kh3 had should have been in ff7 and the ff7 charm and mini games in kh3.

Such an awful take.

Just don’t play them dummy. I’m in chapter 10 and have done exactly one Chocobo race. And I’m not avoiding them either, guess I haven’t gone and sought out the other 24 like you did despite not enjoying them. Why are you doing that?

Doomtrain

I’m not sure “this RPG is good as long as you pretend the side content doesn’t exist” is the quality argument some people seem to think it is.

Last edited:

Lethal01

This is such a dumb take, just skip them, very few are mandatory and none of them give rewards you need to beat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom