• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm over those mini games in FF Rebirth

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I’m not sure “this RPG is good as long as you pretend the side content doesn’t exist” is the quality argument some people seem to think it is.
I don't disagree. I think games would be far better if they became more focused. But for all the problems FF7 Rebirth has, the minigames aren't really one of the them. At worst they're just fun distractions to mess around with. The bigger problems are:

- Boring open world content via Chadley
- Boring simulator battles via Chadley

But those are optional too, I suppose. The actual side quests in the game, the ones with the green marker, I actually think are fairly decent and at least provide insight to the characters and their relationships with Cloud. Only that stupid chicken one sucked.

I’m not sure “this RPG is good as long as you pretend the side content doesn’t exist” is the quality argument some people seem to think it is.
I have come to terms with the fact that most side content in rpgs, especially modern ones, exist to be complimentary, for leveling purposes, for a little extra lore, or for finding special items.

They should be treated as such, unless people’s impressions of a game are saying it’s something like Witcher 3 or Mass Effect 2, where all side content is great, story driven content.

Having complimentary side quests doesn’t inherently make an RPG bad. If anyone claims it does, then I’m inclined to bring up some legendary games in the past that have the same faults.

Ozzie666

Even with the mini games, some are optionals and some aren't. It's still a fantastic game. There are some small payoffs and throw backs for certain ones. Mini games are holding this back from a 10/10 game, At least in my eyes. But it's pretty bad when some of the mini games are tied to the main story and progression.

I did enjoy Queens Blood though. I hated Condor and the Robot game.

consoul

The problem is us.

If you're not enjoying particular mini-games, side quests or Chadley checklists, don't do them.

Rebirth gives us the option of not doing them. The real issue is that our completionist instincts get the better of us and we end up spending time in content we actually aren't having a good time with.

As this thread shows, different people enjoy different content. It's not as simple as saying the optional content is bad. It's just not all going to be to everyone's tastes. Just play the parts you enjoy and ignore the rest.

...OK, the Chicken Clanger side quest was just plain fucking bad. All the rest is subjective.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There are definitely a lot of them. The more action based ones like the Star Fox clone, chocobo racing, and chocobo flying are all fine.

The piano one definitely sucks. Not sure why it couldn't have just been done with regular button inputs like so many other rhythm games.

I'm leaning towards not liking queens blood but I feel like I missed something because I don't have anything in my deck close to the powerful/ legendary cards that all my opponents seem to have.

I know these girl she’s got great dexterity and loves the mini game she always gets S! Look if you don’t like a mini game pass!

Dibils2k

i agree, when main story requires you play loads of them, it gets tedious, as they are really generic and dull anyway

i do like queens blood atleast

The problem is us.

If you're not enjoying particular mini-games, side quests or Chadley checklists, don't do them.

Rebirth gives us the option of not doing them. The real issue is that our completionist instincts get the better of us and we end up spending time in content we actually aren't having a good time with.

As this thread shows, different people enjoy different content. It's not as simple as saying the optional content is bad. It's just not all going to be to everyone's tastes. Just play the parts you enjoy and ignore the rest.

...OK, the Chicken Clanger side quest was just plain fucking bad. All the rest is subjective.
Easier said than done. If a game gives me content, my first instinct is to indulge in it.

If it keeps giving me that and I come out exhausted at the end, am sure to dock points for that.

Game needs to mark clearly fun content and generic content.

Witcher 3, for example. It has a ton of filler content. It mixes it up with good quality stuff, which is marked by character quests. If anything involves a named, well developed character in that game, you should do it. Rest all you should ignore.

Just after the costa del sol and so far the mini games have been pretty cool to GOAT material, like Queen's blood and the Piano sections. I kind of wish they would drop more and more piano songs as dlc, I'd be all over that :D

Schorschi

I fucking hate them.

It's not that the mini games are bad, it's that it's way too fucking much! They couldn't make one or two, they had to make tons of them. Then, they couldn't make so that you play them once or twice, they make you play them endlessly.

Like Queen's Blood! There are just too many times.
Chocobo Races: There couldn't be just like 5 races. There had to be like 25 of them.
Piano Shit: They couldn't make it fun, they had to put the most annoying songs (Cinco de Chocobo, etc) and make it extremely difficult!

Everything in this game is a fucking mini game! What the fuck were developers thinking?! I'm over it! Fuck this shit!

Did I buy Final Fantasy 7 or did I buy Mario Fucking Party!

It's extremely tedious!

/rant
I hate it too. After 80 hours in the game, i quitt it!

Zheph

oh man it gets so hard to please everyone but fair enough. I am really enjoying most of them especially Queen's Blood (the chicken one was a mess but the rest? pretty good imo)

I feel like mini games are entire part of what a FF should be so its puzzling me to see some feedback. Like others said, you guys should avoid Like A Dragon (and no they are not widly better there)

rkofan87

Gold Member
i am only at the start of chapter 2 at this point i might just watch a 100% lets play its sad i loved remake so much i beat 100% did it fast but this one is to big and i know i can just main line it sorry for the rant gaf.

FeralEcho

You can just skip them,you know...

Just focus on the main story if you don't like them,more optional content is never a bad thing.

hinch7

The mini games were fine, you can skip most of them if you don't find them interesting. Only some are required to progress like the QB and perhaps a race or two and even then, you don't need to build up prior to those once events are triggered.

Actually found the piano mini game quite easy in comparison to the rest. And Queens Blood, though occasionally annoying was quite fun. Chocobo racing I didn't bother with outside the main story and getting some items.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Just because you don't like the side content it doesn't mean it's bad. Everything is subjective.

nowhat

I mean, they are extremely well done, and in that way developers put a lot of care and thought in them. However, they completely overdid it!
There's the "rule of three". While the term originates from literature, it certainly applies to video games as well. You can make the player do three times the same thing, but no more. Jump on the head of a boss three times in a platformer. Get three different keys to progress. And so on.

Rebirth doesn't adhere to this rule. You just gathered three chickens, well fuck you, get one more. Imma like "fuck those chickens". Which, incidentally, is what happens when you get the fourth one, in a figurative sense, and I appreciate it. But still, Square Enix, tone it down a bit for the inevitable sequel. Sometimes less is more.

Euler007

To each his own, I just finished what I assume is the most mini-quest dense stretch (Costa Del Sol to post-Gold Saucer, last one was the buggy). I enjoyed all of them, and am glad to be exploring the dustbowl and re-focusing on the world map. The only time I got upset was trying to beat the third QB player right at the start of the game with the starting deck, but wiped the floor with her when I came back to Kalm. Other than that it's one shot almost everything, including the hard mode Fort Condor.

hinch7

And if you do, you can miss some top tier equipment.

Honestly, I literally came to make this thread. The gold cup chocobo race is beyond bullshit. The 3D fighter is bullshit.

Honestly, I feel like fucking throwing my pad across the room when I'm first place and a fucking cactuar gate just happens to close as I'm a second away from going through it and before I know it, I'm tenth.

I honestly hate some of them.
Like the OG learn the opponents moves as the telegrath them, pause the game just before they pull them off. And its gg.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

The problem is us.

the problem is that there is hidden stories locked behind these awful mini games, like Wedge story and the robot mini game for exemple.

its shit content trough and trough, its in the same level of shit content of FF16 that 99% of this forum complained about it last year, but now is fine, nostalgia is a hell of drug.

Tomeru

I fucking hate them.
Do what I did - lower to easy and just run the story.

Dont worry about equipement either. You get the weapons while you advdnce the main quest, and armor/acc you can buy at the vending machine.

Last edited:
Hot take! I'm completely fine with games forcing players to at least try the mini games.

It shows conviction on the developer and if there fun we'll isn't that point?

I never tried Horizons board game because it was optional and maybe I missed out.

Making everything optional not just mini games shows shows a lack of confidence in your game.

95% of rebirth mini games are really fun which helps variety and gives the towns more of an identity.

Queen's Blood is good until its like "Lemme tell you this TRAGIC backstory over the creator" that shit is GARBAGE. This isn't Yu-Gi-Oh

FF VII sometimes catches shit for mini game over load but Rebirth mini games are insane. I sorta liked the Dolphin mini game even if it was stupid as fuck.

This is the heart of the matter.

Final Fantasy 7 was stupid as fuck.

rkofan87

Gold Member
the problem is that there is hidden stories locked behind these awful mini games, like Wedge story and the robot mini game for exemple.

its shit content trough and trough, its in the same level of shit content of FF16 that 99% of this forum complained about it last year, but now is fine, nostalgia is a hell of drug.
oh shit f that i am just going to watch a lets play and get my space back.

Barakov

It feels like Square wanted to pad the game out, get three games out of the same engine and assets and save money. Releases over a decade and three consoles. Next one will likely be PS6.
OH, they padded it all right. They took the ~3 hour midgar section and padded it out to 30 hours. I enjoyed remake and am enjoying rebirth just fine but they really should've just made it a single game. There's a lot of fluff they could've taken out to make it a more enjoyable experience. All the extra stuff plus the modern game "sensibilities" makes both games a chore to play at time.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member

i love ff16 i 100% that game in like 2 months love the side quests in the game more the main one.

Lokaum D+

i love ff16 i 100% that game in like 2 months love the side quests in the game more the main one.
Me too, but there is a LOT of shit content imo, some side quests are just too awful, by the end of the game when some really good side content start to pop i was already burned out by the shit ones, game is great, my top 5 but is has major flaws.

I enjoyed QB but yea I did think they went to hard with the mini games to an extent. No game is perfect and it was just a small complaint compared to the amazing game I thought Rebirth was.

OH, they padded it all right. They took the ~3 hour midgar section and padded it out to 30 hours. I enjoyed remake and am enjoying rebirth just fine but they really should've just made it a single game. There's a lot of fluff they could've taken out to make it a more enjoyable experience. All the extra stuff plus the modern game "sensibilities" makes both games a chore to play at time.

Yep, look at the plot summary for the original game on Wikipedia:

"The party pursues Sephiroth across the Planet, with now-President Rufus on their trail; they are soon joined by the rest of the playable characters."

This one sentence has encompassed the entirety of my 50 hours of playtime so far.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yep, look at the plot summary for the original game on Wikipedia:

"The party pursues Sephiroth across the Planet, with now-President Rufus on their trail; they are soon joined by the rest of the playable characters."

This one sentence has encompassed the entirety of my 50 hours of playtime so far.
Will Smith Best Gif GIF

sigmaZ

Almost to the last area now.
Current impressions about the mini-games.
-The mini games and exploration are nowhere near as bad as people are making out. They've paced most of the side content out rather well given how much there is. It's not like western open worlds where you do a tutorial area and then the whole world opens up.
-The issue with some of the mini-games is that they need just a bit more QA as the controls or animations don't convey well enough the response of the player. Which can be frustrating if you don't feel like you are in control of your success.

I like the game, but I liked FF16 a whole lot more.
Bored Married With Children GIF

I see quite a few people say this, but there's just no way I could ever convince myself that FF16 was a better game.
I barely made in to the halfway point getting worn out on the monotony of the boring ass side quests and NPCs and the repetitive af combat. Had to push myself after taking a week off to slog through the third act.
I probably already have more hours in FF7 Rebirth and don't find it a slog at all even doing all the side content.

There must be some core appeal of the game that is not vibing with you that 16 had, which is fair enough. You can't force someone who prefers Coke to love Pepsi.
If it's the combat, I get it. FF7 Rebirth will never be a proper single player action game as it is doing it's best to hold on to conventions of the OG.
For me personally I find it much better and engaging than Remake and 16. 16 just felt like dodging all the time and comboing ad nauseum enemies with large health pools. In that regard, I found Devil May Cry V a lot more interesting tbh.
But different folks, different strokes, eh?

amscanner

I mean you can skip mini games. You can also skip copy pasted ubi-like open world which has got boring quite soon. But then what’s left in the game? All that remains is FF7 remake-ish main story gameplay and I don’t think it’s worth 90+ meta.

danklord

Gold Member
I agree, they burned me out quick. I'll pick the game up casually and complete it by the end of the year but it truly killed my momentum.

proandrad

Almost to the last area now.
Current impressions about the mini-games.
-The mini games and exploration are nowhere near as bad as people are making out. They've paced most of the side content out rather well given how much there is. It's not like western open worlds where you do a tutorial area and then the whole world opens up.
-The issue with some of the mini-games is that they need just a bit more QA as the controls or animations don't convey well enough the response of the player. Which can be frustrating if you don't feel like you are in control of your success.

Bored Married With Children GIF

I see quite a few people say this, but there's just no way I could ever convince myself that FF16 was a better game.
I barely made in to the halfway point getting worn out on the monotony of the boring ass side quests and NPCs and the repetitive af combat. Had to push myself after taking a week off to slog through the third act.
I probably already have more hours in FF7 Rebirth and don't find it a slog at all even doing all the side content.

There must be some core appeal of the game that is not vibing with you that 16 had, which is fair enough. You can't force someone who prefers Coke to love Pepsi.
If it's the combat, I get it. FF7 Rebirth will never be a proper single player action game as it is doing it's best to hold on to conventions of the OG.
For me personally I find it much better and engaging than Remake and 16. 16 just felt like dodging all the time and comboing ad nauseum enemies with large health pools. In that regard, I found Devil May Cry V a lot more interesting tbh.
But different folks, different strokes, eh?
I hope they keep both formulas going in the future. FF16 and FF7rebirth is what I imagine 13 and versus13 to be. Would love 2 different FF17, one as a classic turn based and the another full on action, made by platinum games.

Raven117

I don't care for them either OP.

And dear gawd, I'm tired of being forced to Play Queen's Blood. I don't like card games.

I have found alot of FFVII Rebirth very tedious. It seems I'm only liking it (and I do like it), when I just mainline the story. (Which is a bummer, I like some of the set ups of the side quests, but it gets so bogged down in tedium...I just cant deal with it).

I dropped the difficulty down to easy and just rolling through. Im enjoying it this way.

Top Bottom