• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Im scared of watching anime now, but what should i watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sketchbook ~full color's~

Few? FEW!? All women always wearing skin tight latex clothing isn't a few instances!

I worded it as such because in comparison of anime having women land their crotch/boobs in a male character's face, or the guy walking in on a half naked girl changing clothes, Yamato 2199 just has the issue of the sexualized super tight outfits. But it still has one of the best pilots be female, and it's a show that it'd be a genuine shame for someone to miss because of a blanket 'fan service' tag. If he could ignore the skimpy outfit of Yoko and the other girls in Gurren Lagann, he can ignore this.

Just watch Cowboy Bebop. It will make all your troubles go away. Basically has none of the typical bad anime bullshit that makes people hate anime.

And it's so very, very excellent.

Daingurse

But Hunter X Hunter (1999) is superior to Hunter X Hunter (2011), for the arcs they share (up through Yorknew).

That's your opinion and personal preference. I personally far prefer 2011 all the way throughout. 1999 is great, that version is still one of the best shonen anime of all time, but I prefer the overall execution of 2011. The only area where they fucked up for me in 2011, was not having Kite in the beginning. That was a mistake.

For something different.

House of Five Leaves.
fiveleaves106.jpg

Haikyuu! (sport: volleyball)
tumblr_n65g6dgzfZ1scbu3ao3_500.gif

Osomatsu San (comedy: crazy
good
)
CT8uwjCUEAE0XY9.jpg
Really. Just watch Osomatsu San and don't look back. Legitimately hilarious.

_Ryo_

Recently watched Death Parade and I really enjoyed it. With the exception of one episode, it is a very mature and grounded show that deals with human pyhchology and morals.

You should watch it too.

Similarly you should watch Pyscho Pass.

Also watch Cowboy Bebop.

That's your opinion and personal preference. I personally far prefer 2011 all the way throughout. 1999 is great, that version is still one of the best shonen anime of all time, but I prefer the overall execution of 2011. The only area where they fucked up for me in 2011, was not having Kite in the beginning. That was a mistake.

What do you prefer about the way 2011 handled the material? I'm curious. From all I can see, the 2011 anime was a much more generic and merely competent presentation of the story. It has nothing like the 1999 anime's opening episode, with its contemplative portrayal of Mito's pain, or the episode featuring Leorio's hallucinations about his past, or the episode with Gon recovering from poison during the Fourth Phase of the Hunter Exam, for example.

Daingurse

What do you prefer about the way 2011 handled the material? I'm curious. From all I can see, the 2011 anime was a much more generic and merely competent presentation of the story. It has nothing like the 1999 anime's opening episode, with its contemplative portrayal of Mito's pain, or the episode featuring Leorio's hallucinations about his past, or the episode with Gon recovering from poison during the Fourth Phase of the Hunter Exam, for example.

I prefer it in terms of visuals, the artysle is far closer to the manga and I prefer it to albeit pretty awesome grittier take of the 1999 series. Simple things like how nen or aura are portrayed look far better to me in 2011. I actually really don't like the way aura is portrayed in 1999 version all. I prefer the music in 2011, it had many themes throughout that I would love listening to on my playlist. I think I enjoy it more becasue it is for a most part a straight retelling of the original material. The things that you mention add to Hunter x Hunter 1999, and make it the great show that it is, but I prefer the overall presentation and the execution of adapting the source material present in 2011. Adding in the fact that the 2011 series was actually able to adapt the Chimera Ant and Election arcs just made the whole thing feel more cohesive, and really made the show superior. Not fair of course though. Man, I would have loved to have seen a Chimera Ant arc done in the old style, just for comparison.

I prefer it in terms of visuals, the artysle is far closer to the manga and I prefer it to albeit pretty awesome grittier take of the 1999 series. Simple things like how nen or aura are portrayed look far better to me in 2011. I actually really don't like the way aura is portrayed in 1999 version all. I prefer the music in 2011, it had many themes throughout that I would love listening to on my playlist. I think I enjoy it more becasue it is for a most part a straight retelling of the original material. The things that you mention add to Hunter x Hunter 1999, and make it the great show that it is, but I prefer the overall presentation and the execution of adapting the source material present in 2011. Adding in the fact that the 2011 series was actually able to adapt the Chimera Ant and Election arcs just made the whole thing feel more cohesive, and really made the show superior. Not fair of course though. Man, I would have loved to have seen a Chimera Ant arc done in the old style, just for comparison.

OK. So you like the 2011 anime because it's exactly like the manga? I can understand that. There's nothing wrong per se with the approach of throwing the manga up on screen with some added colors and voice acting. But I prefer to see anime directors take a more creative approach to adaptations, to add something of their own that isn't already in the source material. Otherwise it feels like something of a waste. The approach the 1999 anime takes is particularly successful in elevating the material into something even more serious and emotionally impactful. Plus, as someone who places a top priority on atmosphere, 1999 has that in spades whereas 2011 has very little.

ReaperXL7

I was in a similar boat where almost all of the anime that I am a big fan of is either a decade or more old at this point, stuff like Galaxy Express 999, Captain Harlock, Akira, Ghibli, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Gundam (Mobile fighter G is my favorite), Record of Lodoss War, Gungrave and so on. I was mostly of the opinion that anime of the current generation was pretty much only super moe, or packed with unnecessary fan service but recently I have started finding stuff that has made me realize that while this is true for a lot of the stuff that becomes super popular there is a lot of stuff out there that is really good.

A few that I have found and liked recently would include

Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blockade Battlefront:

6J5VvYE.gif

kekkai.gif

Mushishi

mushishi2_02.gif

Death Parade

d3e00179abd008710bb90dddf466d44b358ab364_hq.gif

I have also heard that Assassination Classroom is pretty good but I have not had a chance to see it yet, I'm hoping the since it's a shonen that the fanservice isn't as bad some other recent ones but we will see how that goes.

LordCiego

Throw in Paprika and Millennium Actress, then weep into the night as you realize we'll never get another work from Satoshi Kon again.

Add in his other films too, actually. Save Tokyo Godfathers for the holiday season, though.

Listen to this man.

Tokyo Godfathers its absolutely amazing. Watch it without reading anything about it before hand, I was going to say something about it but just go watch it.

Also this is frigo thread full of good sugestions, just watch something you are in the mood of.

Mushishi is a must watch, greatest anime ever made.
One Punch Man is great for someone who loves action, comedy and top notch animation.
Erased is currently running but you MUST watch that also. Just watch the first episode and I guarantee you'll want more.

Yeah this.

Here's a hint: It's not actually about Monsters.

Pro tip indeed.

Starts slow, but it's gonna get real tense. There's no tropes, since there's no reason this is an animated show to begin with. Other than its origin country. It's like a grander scaled True Detective.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Ann of Green Gables (I still need to watch the prequel)

3acac0820f3e55f96ee04e947be8860e.jpg

Princess Sarah (Ending pissed me off tho)

M_1a.jpg

Monster:

Monster.(Series).full.1608686.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom