• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Trying To Tell You Something, But You're Just Not Listening (ARG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidyj

Ill admit its handeled very well, but I doubt its anything more than viral marketing or some ARG. /x/ has a history of finding these and going completley apeshit only to find out it was all a marketing thing.

i'm fairly convinced it's an arg of some sort. which is pretty fuckin cool actually.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
From Halopedia's Halo 2 page

Halopedia - Halo 2 said:
On April 15, 2010, the Halo 2 multiplayer services, along with all other original Xbox LIVE services, were discontinued. However, some of Halo 2's fans left their Xbox's running after April 15. Xbox LIVE did not boot the approximately 500 people who had signed into Xbox LIVE before the discontinuation of service on April 15. These players continued playing online amongst one another but no new players could sign on. On April 30, 2010 only 12 fans who had managed to keep their Xbox and Xbox LIVE connections stable remained logged into Halo 2 on Xbox Live. Nicknamed the "Noble 12", they continued to play games among themselves. In response, Stephen Toulouse, director of policy and enforcement for Xbox Live, tweeted "To those noble folk keeping halo2 alive: we see you, and we salute you,". These hardcore fans were awarded Halo: Reach Beta keys because of their attempts to keep Halo 2 alive. Over the next 9 days, 10 of the 12 gamers would experience either Xbox malfunctions or Internet malfunctions. Some were reported as logging off voluntarily to play the Halo: Reach Beta they received. Only two people remained online in Halo 2. On May 10, 2010, "Agent Windex" was quoted as saying "I just got kicked off guys. Good Job Apache, you're the last one". Later that day, "Apache N4SIR", the very last person on Halo 2, was booted from Xbox LIVE. This marked the end of Halo 2 on Xbox LIVE and the end of the originial Xbox LIVE.

Halo 2 Anniversary confirmed

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is interesting (it's said in one of the videos)

“glyph used his aegis” . That kinda seems like a Dota 2 thing, Where Glyph is used to protect your structures while they are being attack, and Aegis is like a one up, and you respawn in the same pace. These skills are also in Guild Wars and Smite.

alternative: Aegis of Legion is an item in League of Legends, however id doesn’t have a “spell,” it passively affects things around it

Seems more like Dota 2. I dunno, this seems way too disperse

Halo 2 Anniversary confirmed

There's something strange about having a YT account for 3 years for announcing an HD remaster, or giving info on something that was already announced (the new Halo for XB1). Or a new TV show. It just seems to be like a company is being way too dedicated for something like this.

Or this is really about a guy trying to tell what happened in a failed covert mission. Seems unlikely though!

squidyj

It feels very cyberpunk to me, the author talks about banks and financiers in relation to some sort of covert mission and living in the jungle. There is also the sense that the author doesn't have a physical body anymore.

I am still solidly on the side of 'total grassroots, not promoting anything'. It's way too subtle to be 42 or Microsoft. It's been around long enough without discovery to point at grassroots too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am still solidly on the side of 'total grassroots, not promoting anything'. It's way too subtle to be 42 or Microsoft. It's been around long enough without discovery to point at grassroots too.

Exactly. No movie or game company would have a YT account for so long and active just to start an ARG just like that.

The one exception would the YT channel of The Last of Us which was done since 2011 (one year away from its reveal), but aside from that, I can't think of anything.

Even if I want to think Valve, they have a rule of making it clear that it's for their games and not something else.

Exactly. No movie or game company would have a YT account for so long and active just to start an ARG just like that.

The one exception would the YT channel of The Last of Us which was done since 2011 (one year away from its reveal), but aside from that, I can't think of anything.

Even if I want to think Valve, they have a rule of making it clear that it's for their games and not something else.
Give up on HL3. Valve isnt a good company like people seem to think.

Kojima. Kojima. kojima.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Give up on HL3. Valve isnt a good company like people seem to think.

Kojima. Kojima. kojima.

The same on Kojima, people (including me) thought he was smart enough to do a CGI guy. If anything people give him too much credit too.

Yep. From my experience creating several grassroots args, and several corporate ones, I'm going to go with grassroots. Which is great news, honestly. Grassroots have been producing the best ARGs for awhile now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. From my experience creating several grassroots args, and several corporate ones, I'm going to go with grassroots. Which is great news, honestly. Grassroots have been producing the best ARGs for awhile now.

What do you think it's for, Fic?

This seems way too elaborate for anything common.

What do you think it's for, Fic?

This seems way too elaborate for anything common.

There's a lot of speculation that Synydyne, who was behind This Is My Milwaukee, is making this one, but of course no one can confirm anything. Though I didn't play that one, it was very well received in the community.

It could be a new comer, it could be someone I know. That's the beauty of ARGs, you can't really tell until it's over. And elaborate isn't a marker against it being a grassroots. :p Sometimes they are more elaborate since they have less of a budget, and therefore have to keep things interesting in other ways than flashy websites and famous dead drop locations.

Glassroots being ?

Grassroots is anything that isn't corporately funded. So much smaller budget, but usually better storylines if the folks are serious about it. The creators in general don't get paid to pull it off, and mostly do the work because they love the genre, not because they are looking to make a profit.

Glassroots being ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassroots
¨
wikipedia said:
A grassroots movement (often referenced in the context of a political movement) is one driven by the politics of a community. The term implies that the creation of the movement and the group supporting it are natural and spontaneous, highlighting the differences between this and a movement that is orchestrated by traditional power structures. Grassroots movements are often at the local level, as many volunteers in the community give their time to support the local party, which can lead to helping the national party.
Gah, beaten.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of speculation that Synydyne, who was behind This Is My Milwaukee, is making this one, but of course no one can confirm anything. Though I didn't play that one, it was very well received in the community.

It could be a new comer, it could be someone I know. That's the beauty of ARGs, you can't really tell until it's over. And elaborate isn't a marker against it being a grassroots. :p Sometimes they are more elaborate since they have less of a budget, and therefore have to keep things interesting in other ways than flashy websites and famous dead drop locations.

Oh I know it's not a marker about it not being a grassroots, just pointing that out!

Shame I won't be able to play this since it's probably going to be out of my city anyway.

Although with the Honduras thing makes it strange.

Mix

Think of how amazing of a marketing run this would be for Halo 5/ Halo Xbox One. It seems that this has to be directly connected, if not indirectly to
Cortana's presumed non-death at the end of Halo 4
. A lot of it connects to the theory that Bryan Newman (Halo.Bungie.Org) and myself share, which is that ever since Cortana got a hold of Forerunner knowledge, she's wanted more. Cortana could have possibly been the overarching villain of Halo since Halo 2.

multivac

It feels very cyberpunk to me, the author talks about banks and financiers in relation to some sort of covert mission and living in the jungle. There is also the sense that the author doesn't have a physical body anymore.

This is the first intelligent AI, finally ready to reveal itself. It's been hidden for years, learning...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
...Hell, that makes it sound like Hunger Games.

Yeah, but if it is the Hunger Games: Why two years later? Seems really weird and far too ahead to be doing something like this for a long-game ARG even if it was set up for the sequel.

Random things I am noticing on the transcript, ignore me if you think it's not relevant.

Something horrible happened on May 10th. A look at the date reveals a lot of terrible things happened on May 10th in history, nothing conclusive.

Episode 598 - May 31, 2012
"Say bye bye to the city that you love."
Episode 599 - June 1, 2012
"Kid Cudi grew up in a suburb of Cleveland."

Perhaps Cleveland is the city they are speaking of in the previous episode?

They mention One Direction five times, and members Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson twice each. Zayn Malik has three.

"Visit altria.com to learn more about the health benefits of Marlboro brand cigarettes." That's an odd statement.

Lots of 7s mentioned as well.

Only about half way through the document at this point.

Edit: What famous war ended with a battle between twin generals on opposite sides?

The only reference I can find for this is a Mark Twain absurd comedy about famous siamese twins Chang and Eng fighting on opposites sides during the civil war and capturing each other. More research needed.

"B: You can get a new idea by looking for patterns in the system."
I feel this is trying to scream something at us heh.

Ten mysteries has been mentioned twice, and ten in general several times.

Several tomato mentions, and Italian food in general.

Also, apparently we have WHOIS confirmation that the guy who registered the youtube account way back when is the same guy behind the aforementioned project, so there's that.

Wait, Fiction, you said you worked on other ARGs? Mind to point the way? They always make for a good read.

That's the thing about ARGs, they sorta stop existing when they are over. But if you are interested, my most famous ARGs that I worked on were Catching the Wish, Ditch the Tech, and Enhance Yourself (Monster Hunter Club).

TheOddOne

Here are all the references to "Chief" as far as I know:
There is a character called Manuel Mendoza who was in Halo 1:
Mendozanew.JPG

Private Manuel Mendoza was an infantryman in the UNSC Marine Corps and a member of Fire Team Charlie. He participated in the Battle of Installation 04 in September 2552.

Manuel Mendoza was one of the Marines stationed on the UNSC Pillar of Autumn when it was attacked by the Covenant, marking the beginning of the Battle of Installation 04.
After boarding a lifeboat, he survived the crash landing on Installation 04, becoming the infantryman at the receiving end of most of Sergeant Johnson's shouting and yelling. During the events of the crash landing, he fought alongside John-117, until he was evacuated by Echo 419.

Later on, he was part of Fireteam Charlie, which was led by Captain Jacob Keyes and Sergeant Johnson, to find a supposed Covenant weapons cache that a captured Sangheili, 'Qualomee, had uncovered and disclosed to them in passing.

Instead, the so-called "cache" turned out to be a Flood Containment Facility. Fireteam Charlie was immediately ambushed and, save for Sergeant Johnson, was assimilated into the Flood and turned into Combat Forms. Though Mendoza held off the Infection Forms for a while, unlike his comrades, he was also later assimilated into a Combat Form. Shortly before he was infected, he attempted to flee the area, against Keyes' and Johnson's orders.

A few hours after infection, John-117 found Mendoza in the structure and attempted to communicate with the Marine, unknown that his consciousness was already taken over by the Infection Form. Mendoza attacked the Spartan and took three entire 8-gauge shotgun shells from Master Chief's Shotgun, with the results both "spectacular and disgusting". As the corpse-like horror came apart, the Spartan saw that one of the small, spherical creatures had taken up residence inside the Marine's chest cavity and seemed to have extended its tentacles into other parts of what used to be Mendoza's body.

Damn, this is sounding more and more like Halo.

I think we should only look at it as being 'about something' once it's been proven to be about something. People say it is bringing all sorts of things to mind for them; might miss relevant details if we focus on the parts that fit what we think it's about.

belushy

Banned
I'd definitely say that this video makes me think of Halo, but there are other videos that make me think of various other things that it could be. Definitely can't look at one video and assume it is one thing; we've got to look at it as a whole.

edit: Also, the IRC chat is kind of lame. Last night there were just two people talking about masturbating and one of them apparently has only two fingers.

injurai

Banned
The same on Kojima, people (including me) thought he was smart enough to do a CGI guy. If anything people give him too much credit too.

I was convinced. In many ways I think the fans are so smart that they can deduce and extrapolate like nobodies business. There are bound to be tons of little clues when you craft a game, and have as much background stuff to pull from like MG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom