• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Trying To Tell You Something, But You're Just Not Listening (ARG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The channel has been run for three years by the same person.

From unforums:

The youtube channel was started April 14, 2010. Pronunciationbook.com was registered April 15th 2010 by [real name redacted], the guy who did TIMM, meaning that this was likely an ARG/Storytelling event all along.

No one can call this based on ANYTHING at this point. The channel wasn't 'taken over' by someone else. This person is an ARG creator. Therefore, it's incredibly likely this is an ARG. What it's about is not clear at this time. It also points to it being a grassroots ARG, since the person behind it makes grassroots ARGs. Therefore, not promotional for anything.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What that article says:

"Turns out we were right, we've confirmed it with independent research"

What it actually means:

"This is what we want it to mean, so we'll tie together loose speculation and assumptions in a way that looks like research, but really all it confirms is that this is an ARG whose subject we have yet to confirm"

wowzors

Its counting down and ending on my birthday, which coincidentally is the same time Halo 3 came out a couple of years ago.

My money is on this is related to Halo and its universe.

You know, it's actually a running joke in the ARG community now, how often people immediately jump to the conclusion that a new ARG is Halo related. I think it's because I<3Bees was a lot of people's first ARG, and thus, every time they think ARG they also think Halo.

cilonen

That strip of spectrographic picture looks like part of a WW2 "your country needs YOU" poster.

Like the famous Uncle Sam ones.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Its counting down and ending on my birthday, which coincidentally is the same time Halo 3 came out a couple of years ago.

My money is on this is related to Halo and its universe.

Hmm, I counted it, and the date was September 24, which is the day before Halo 3 came out, but now that I think about it, I didn't take into account other time zones.

So, information that point to Halo:

Chief
May 10th (date, the day Halo 2 finally died)
September 24/25th (Halo 3's release)

I'm thinking perhaps the re-release of the original trilogy, perhaps on Steam or maybe the announcement of a port of the trilogy on Xbox One

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think we should only look at it as being 'about something' once it's been proven to be about something. People say it is bringing all sorts of things to mind for them; might miss relevant details if we focus on the parts that fit what we think it's about.
Good point and something to keep in mind, which is why I posted in OT.

Good point and something to keep in mind, which is why I posted in OT.

So far, we have people dead certain it's about BSG, Halo, Hunger Games, and a book called 77 Days of September.

All the confirmation we have is that the channel most likely belongs to a grassroots ARG creator. Which sorta puts 'corporate promotion of something' off the table.

marrec

Banned
So far, we have people dead certain it's about BSG, Halo, Hunger Games, and a book called 77 Days of September.

All the confirmation we have is that the channel most likely belongs to a grassroots ARG creator. Which sorta puts 'corporate promotion of something' off the table.

The worst phase of any ARG is the people who constantly try to get a peak behind the curtain. :lol

Regardless, we don't have much to go on as far as digging further into the narrative as it is right? All we can do is wait for the new videos to be released everyday?

The worst phase of any ARG is the people who constantly try to get a peak behind the curtain. :lol

Regardless, we don't have much to go on as far as digging further into the narrative as it is right?

Nope. I suspect we are going to have to wait until more of the picture is revealed.

There's a lot of creepy shit in that video, but one of the drawings in the museum part (around 1:40) is actually a letter and it says:
"Jessica and I are 9 years old. My father was taken by Blackstar for a problem he did. I am sorry Blackst-"

Stuff like that is just awesome, it's like a clue or something

belushy

Banned
So ARG's usually contain things like dead drops right? I'll try to participate if it is close enough to me, though I doubt it is.

Bread

Banned
funny that a NIN song was referenced in the first post, Trent made an ARG for his album Year Zero which released in 2007

new NIN album coming out in september

maybe a year zero tv show announcement

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It was to tell a story. Not every ARG has to be promoting something.
I see, So it was just a vehicle for a story about an alternate reality Milwaukee where alien plants were attacking people and a corporation (Blackstar) tried to cover it up? I can appreciate that.

I see, So it was just a vehicle for a story about an alternate reality Milwaukee where alien plants were attacking people and a corporation (Blackstar) tried to cover it up? I can appreciate that.

I stupidly skipped that one, but that's the gist I got from it. The beauty of grassroots ARGs is that they DON'T have to bow to a corporate sponsor, and can focus on excellent storytelling and kick ass experiences instead.

Tain

Setting up this YouTube account sounds like a pretty clever way to keep yourself open to making an ARG about just about anything years down the line, lol.

Setting up this YouTube account sounds like a pretty clever way to keep yourself open to making an ARG about just about anything years down the line, lol.

The good ones think ahead :p

I know my former boss had accounts and websites reserved for years simply because he had an idle thought and figured he might make something some day.

Todays video:

"Her house has rooms she's never been in."

Ha, top comment was my first thought. "Amy Pond?" Doctor Who ARG confirmed! :p

Also, anyone have the link to where people are constructing the picture? I am too lazy to get all the software needed myself right now.

belushy

Banned
I think the Google Doc is where most stuff is updated. If you scroll down a few pages you'll see the newest pictograph. They update it pretty fast I believe.

I'm done making speculations too. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy this ARG.

Mariolee

I think the Google Doc is where most stuff is updated. If you scroll down a few pages you'll see the newest pictograph. They update it pretty fast I believe.

I'm done making speculations too. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy this ARG.

I never realized how indepth people are getting into this ARG. This is incredible.

I never realized how indepth people are getting into this ARG. This is incredible.

I think they are reaching abit with the triangles, but who knows at this point, anything could be relevant. Welcome to the 'data gathering' phase :p Everything and anything is thrown together until we can get something to confirm we are on the right track.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've noted and listened to the Pronunciation Book videos for years, and found the parody channel hilarious. Always struck me as a little quirky but never thought twice about the content.

So now we've got a countdown, a bunch of referenced characters, theories that span from Caprica to Turkey to Zack Island, exactly the right amount of "well that's unsettling," and Fiction as tour guide?

I'm in.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, this is one of those times that Fiction's tag fits perfectly.

Hopefully I don't start getting accused of making the whole thing like I did with the last ARG I played >.< Just cause I know a lot about the genre doesn't mean I make all the games! And I am far from the leading authority on ARGs.

Also, not commenting on your own games is like, puppetmaster 101.

Lurking secretly in player chatrooms and simply watching the reactions is enough :p

This is super cool and weird. I remember a couple of years ago I stumbled upon one of the channels stranger videos (I think it was the "how to pronounce Love" one or something, with the awkward silence at the end) and it's crazy to think that it's been a game all along.

squidyj

Hopefully I don't start getting accused of making the whole thing like I did with the last ARG I played >.< Just cause I know a lot about the genre doesn't mean I make all the games! And I am far from the leading authority on ARGs.

Also, not commenting on your own games is like, puppetmaster 101.

Lurking secretly in player chatrooms and simply watching the reactions is enough :p

I wasn't thinking that at all, but now I find you highly suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom