• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm upset that I still can't find a Switch in stores

Itsuki

Meanwhile I can find a lot of Switch in the store near my house.
I'm upset to see how the console is hard to find in other stores or in Japan when the demand is very high.

I've literally never seen one on a shelf.

Neither have I. It's to the point where I've entertained scenarios in my head like, "Maybe stores don't bother putting them on the shelf and they just wait for customers to ask if they have any."

On another note, does best buy show up on istocknow for anyone else? For me, the site only shows Wal Mart and Target. No other store shows up no matter where I'm looking in the entire country.

Fat4all

Banned
I got mine at launch because I really don;t like wanting sommit and not being able to find it later.

But I had to be patient and vigilant to find a Switch for my nephew. I made so many phone calls over such a long period of time.

Sky Chief

That's really weird as when I was in BB earlier today, they were pretty much selling them to anyone that was asking about it due to the release of Splatoon 2. I mean, unless they were holding them for Sunday due to the ad flyer, it's odd that they wouldn't sell to you today.

In the ad it even says that today (7/21) is the day. I told them and they said no, Sunday.

Kieli

It's weird to hear about availability issues. I could leisurely stroll to any local supermarket or electronics shop and easily find several Switches in stock.

People don't even bother scalping them where I live because they can't demand higher-than-MRSP price.

SlickVic

2 day shipping my arse though. Says it will arrive Wednesday. Guess not Monday??

Whatever they claim as 2 day shipping, ultimately I think it just varies based on where you live in relation to the warehouses stocking them. I ordered my Switch from Amazon on a Monday and got here Wednesday. Ordered a screen protector and case from there Friday morning and got here Saturday.

Kieli

I've literally never seen one on a shelf.

I don't think I've seen any console on a shelf in a long while. You need to ask the clerks to bring it from storage or from the back. It's mostly the games + demo stations + cardboard cut-outs to bring to cashier.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm upset that I can't play online or enter the Eshop when I select my country..
What country is it? I'm from Argentina and had to set my account country as US. I buy eShop credit and game codes from Amazon, using an American address.

For some reason it didn't let me use my credit card on the Canadian eShop, which is what I always did on my 3DS. That's why I had to change it to US.

Brhoom

Banned
What country is it? I'm from Argentina and had to set my account country as US. I buy eShop credit and game codes from Amazon, using an American address.

For some reason it didn't let me use my credit card on the Canadian eShop, which is what I always did on my 3DS. That's why I had to change it to US.

Kuwait.

It's not as fun when all the players you race against in Mario Kart 8 are from The US and Japan lol

brinstar

Neither have I. It's to the point where I've entertained scenarios in my head like, "Maybe stores don't bother putting them on the shelf and they just wait for customers to ask if they have any."
I was in best buy today and they had some but didn't put them out. They came up to me asking if I needed one.

ZOONAMI

Have still never seen one on a shelf and I frequent bb and target pretty regularly. I caved to a scalper for 380 in May.

I live in the Nova/DC metropolitan area. I was nervous that I wasn't going to be able to find one as this was my first attempt. After 2 hours, I managed to track one down and get Splatoon 2 and Arms. A lot of stores in my immediate area said they have rarely received Switches. One helpful Gamestop employee checked stores available nearby and called a store about 20 minutes away and saved it for me. The weird part though was that stores 45 minutes away had 10-15 switches in the store.

nowai

Better to get it now and keep it on ice for Mario than to try and get one when Mario drops because it will be the holiday season.

Oh you are 100% correct. I think I'm kind of over it at this point and dropping $500 for Mario is not appealing.

Da-Kid

4 months ago ^^
giphy.gif

Last week I decided to go to GAME and asked them about their availability, but seeing the person behind me asking for one and then trying to explain why it had to wait... I. Thought they would jump to my throat if they did.

Right now is a "preorder, we let you know Wen it appears, but we can't give estimates". And I would be ok with it, if it wasn't for fear of not being able to replace it if faulty.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It feels that the honeymoon phase is over now that some bad press regarding online has come out and that the lineup for the rest of the year has coalesced.

What the switch is and is gonna be is coming into focus.

Good first party.
Bad online.
Mediocre third party support.

As supply increases I think switch will start to become readily available in the US soon.

I live in the Nova/DC metropolitan area. I was nervous that I wasn't going to be able to find one as this was my first attempt. After 2 hours, I managed to track one down and get Splatoon 2 and Arms. A lot of stores in my immediate area said they have rarely received Switches. One helpful Gamestop employee checked stores available nearby and called a store about 20 minutes away and saved it for me. The weird part though was that stores 45 minutes away had 10-15 switches in the store.

Never attempted to find one and think the system is going to fail in the end...I've seen signs in several DC/Baltimore stores saying it's in stock over the last few months. I've been puzzled by people saying they can't find them when stores are promoting it like they have plenty of stock.

I think I've seen maybe one kid (in a stroller still) playing a switch in the wild. Are people just not using the portable feature?

Kebiinu

Banned
Leave it to Neogaf, to turn a happy ending into a Level 2 Doom and Gloom storm. Now alluvasudden the Switch is gonna flop in the "long term" because Nintendo is finally able to keep with demand.

Anyone making judgements about Switch's success or lack thereof needs to wait until the holiday season is over. Most consoles launch in holiday season because that's when people buy consoles. To most consumers, Switch isn't even on their radar until October. And by then, Mario will be out along with all the software that's already released. If Switch doesn't do well this holiday, then maybe it's in trouble. Right now it is doing well given the circumatances. Just because it isn't sold out everywhere in your neck of the woods doesn't mean it's not popular or selling out in many places. Hell, Japan has lines THOUSANDS of people long waiting for one. People are buying the damn display boxes with nothing in them over there.

Best Buy's have been doing Ad-Holds almost every single Sunday or for major game releases like Splatoon 2 recently. They hold every system in back until that day. I haven't seen our store sell out of Switches for at least the first 3-4 hours, even yesterday for launch we had 4 left out of the 15 we held by the time I left at 3PM.

Hit up a store right when it opens, guarantee you find one. Even started getting the Neon consoles in as well pretty regularly. Also depends on your market I suppose (Chicago here)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What is wrong with people.

Go to Amazon
Order
Wait

Wtf is up with people in 2017 saying 'i still can't find one in stores'?

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to playing splatoon on my switch that took 8 weeks to get to me but who cares cause I placed the order and got on with my life while not worry about scarcity at all.

Seriously, there is one solution as a consumer and it's getting in a digital line from a reputable retailer. Just do it and stop being confused about constricted supply.

kevin1025

Banned
What is wrong with people.

Go to Amazon
Order
Wait

Wtf is up with people in 2017 saying 'i still can't find one in stores'?

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to playing splatoon on my switch that took 8 weeks to get to me but who cares cause I placed the order and got on with my life while not worry about scarcity at all.

Seriously, there is one solution as a consumer and it's getting in a digital line from a reputable retailer. Just do it and stop being confused about constricted supply.

Not every country has that option.

Last week I decided to go to GAME and asked them about their availability, but seeing the person behind me asking for one and then trying to explain why it had to wait... I. Thought they would jump to my throat if they did.

Right now is a "preorder, we let you know Wen it appears, but we can't give estimates". And I would be ok with it, if it wasn't for fear of not being able to replace it if faulty.

Nintendo UK online store has Splatoon bundle in stock?

Although I'm not really sure why you'd worry about being able to replace it, it would be Nintendo themselves who deal with that and they'd probably be able to fix it without replacing the system.

Not sure what you think is going to be wrong with it though? Joy Con issue now fixed, other problems are massively overblown ('bending Switch' lol).

AdaWong

[Verse 3: Nicki Minaj]
Pink Ferragamo sliders on deck
Silly rap beefs just get me more checks
My life is a movie, I'm never off set
Me and my amigos (no, not Offset)
Switch switch, aww I got them upset

I'm so happy I gave in and bought the rip-off bundle gamestop offered (may still offer). I got it 3 months ago. Well worth the 60+ extra dollars. I read that it was projected that supply won't meet demand until into 2018, and folded.

^Congrats!

It feels that the honeymoon phase is over now that some bad press regarding online has come out and that the lineup for the rest of the year has coalesced.

What the switch is and is gonna be is coming into focus.

Good first party.
Bad online.
Mediocre third party support.

As supply increases I think switch will start to become readily available in the US soon.

I think it might be available-ish around September/early October, but from the point Mario Odyssey releases up until 2018 I think it'll be pretty difficult to find again. It, along with the SNES Classic, is more or less going to be THE holiday item. It's 2017's Tickle Me Elmo.

Top Bottom