• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imageepoch, the savior of JRPGs, brings acclaimed hentai JRPG Toushin Toshi to 3DS

L Thammy

"acclaimed hentai JRPG"

Is that even possible?

y1hPzI1.gif

sorry for the bump, but i didnt want to start a new thread.

So , this game is gonna be released in japan in january 30, is there any news about localization ?

hongcha

I got this today and played for an hour. So far I am really liking it. Great graphics, voice acting, and fun dungeon crawling. Very polished game as well, unlike a lot of imageepoch's output. Anyway, not much more to say until I play it more in depth.

hongcha

I've played 6 hours now and, wow, this game is really, REALLY good. I haven't been this addicted to a game in awhile. We'll see if it holds up for the long run but so far so good.

Some highlights:

-All major plot points have full voice acting, and many of the subplots do as well. Excellent VAs too.
-Graphics are really nice, and the artwork shows a lot of attention to detail. Its just retro enough to be nostalgic. 3D effect is great in the game as well.
-The story is excellent and not the typical JRPG cliche-a-thon. Lots of goofy humour, which I like.
-Battle system is simple but fun. Fights are 1 on 1 but you can collect female monsters in the dungeons by throwing a card at them when their HP is low. If it sticks, you get the monster. You can take up to 8 (or 10? thereabouts) cards with you at a time, each can be set to be a Main or Sub skill, they have field skills too. They also level up (as do you). Other stuff is traditional old school JRPG stuff with weapons, armor, rings, and items.
-There's a heart system that kinda reminds me of the one in Ni no Kuni or Shining Hearts. Be nice to certain girls (which can involve something like getting an item from a dungeon for them, or getting rid of a drunken perve bothering them at the bar) and they'll give you some of their heart in return for your kindness (which means you get a new special skill to use in battle).
-You have to win battles in a main tournament and then win the final battle to become the champion (and finish the game, I suppose). You're fighting in the tournament to marry the girl you love. If you lose, she has to marry a creepy older dude (if he wins the tourney, of course) and you have to go to a labour camp for 1 year. In between the tournament rounds, which happen every 5 days or so, you level up in dungeons (not randomised, thank goodness) and go through various subplots.

That's the gist of it so far.

Shengar

I've played 6 hours now and, wow, this game is really, REALLY good. I haven't been this addicted to a game in awhile. We'll see if it holds up for the long run but so far so good.

Some highlights:

-All major plot points have full voice acting, and many of the subplots do as well. Excellent VAs too.
-Graphics are really nice, and the artwork shows a lot of attention to detail. Its just retro enough to be nostalgic. 3D effect is great in the game as well.
-The story is excellent and not the typical JRPG cliche-a-thon. Lots of goofy humour, which I like.
-Battle system is simple but fun. Fights are 1 on 1 but you can collect female monsters in the dungeons by throwing a card at them when their HP is low. If it sticks, you get the monster. You can take up to 8 (or 10? thereabouts) cards with you at a time, each can be set to be a Main or Sub skill, they have field skills too. They also level up (as do you). Other stuff is traditional old school JRPG stuff with weapons, armor, rings, and items.
-There's a heart system that kinda reminds me of the one in Ni no Kuni or Shining Hearts. Be nice to certain girls (which can involve something like getting an item from a dungeon for them, or getting rid of a drunken perve bothering them at the bar) and they'll give you some of their heart in return for your kindness (which means you get a new special skill to use in battle).
-You have to win battles in a main tournament and then win the final battle to become the champion (and finish the game, I suppose). You're fighting in the tournament to marry the girl you love. If you lose, she has to marry a creepy older dude (if he wins the tourney, of course) and you have to go to a labour camp for 1 year. In between the tournament rounds, which happen every 5 days or so, you level up in dungeons (not randomised, thank goodness) and go through various subplots.

That's the gist of it so far.

:O
I'll just have to wait for Parakeetman post and this game will be on my radar

It's a better game than I expected it to be.

It's probably a better game than most of Imageepoch's recent output. I haven't played enough to know if that means it's actually good or not. Tons of cliches, but the game is very tongue in cheek.

It also wears its hentai game history on its sleeve quite obviously.

Now that i know that the game is good im sad, because there is no way tha this game will make it to the west

Consider learning Japanese and purchase a Japanese 3DS. Honestly, it solves a ton of your problems if you like this kind of niche content. Localizations end up screwing something up anyway, and you get an inferior version in the end.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
:O
I'll just have to wait for Parakeetman post and this game will be on my radar

Not really going to happen as I generally avoid almost all Imageepoch titles from now on generally. As usually a lot of them are halfassed messes. Have picked up a bunch of their stuff in the past.
Im still waiting for that company to go under. Not joking.

The last title that I liked by them was the 7th Dragon 2020 series. But those unfortunately are not out in the West. Granted that game too wasnt perfect, it still wasnt bad either. Nice that the data of what you accomplished in the first one carried over so its little small things like that which made it enjoyable. Story and setting wasnt ok too. Still have to beat the 2nd one though, got sidetracked.

Listen to what Ryouga has to say though when he gets more hands on with it. Hes a lot less critical about things than I am though at the same time has good tastes and judgement for the most part. Except for liking E.X. Troopers lol.

If he winds up actually liking the title after having more hands on with it good chance that the game isnt a terrible mess and gameplay / story elements are enjoyable. Ill keep this thread subbed as want to see if Ryouga will post any other impressions once he gets more time with it.

Btw if you like character games & Wizardry type of dungeon crawling in general highly suggest the Dungeon Travelers series. First one is a spinoff from "To Heart 2" the second is a complete original story. Both granted has a lot of suggestive artwork and such, under that coat of paint lies a fairly decent wizardry game which is quite challenging. Look them up if interested. Great voice work in both titles also.

No gameplay really shown in the trailers but doing searches will give you an idea of what to expect.

First game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUwjCIU9XXA

Second game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhIkzLS_xtM

Now that i know that the game is good im sad, because there is no way tha this game will make it to the west
I feel you. I have my doubts about the game being good though, but I would buy it just to give it a try, I like Imageepoch games.

Luminous Arc had a soft side for tits too, but it was a great game.

Consider learning Japanese and purchase a Japanese 3DS. Honestly, it solves a ton of your problems if you like this kind of niche content. Localizations end up screwing something up anyway, and you get an inferior version in the end.

im not interested in games like this that much .

Parakeetman

I feel you. I have my doubts about the game being good though, but I would buy it just to give it a try, I like Imageepoch games.

Luminous Arc had a soft side for tits too, but it was a great game.

That was before Imageepoch started its downward spiral. As Luminous Arc was pretty decent they had good characters and the battle system was pretty standard stuff. Felt like an actual game that had effort put into it.

A lot of the crap they made on the PSP era though dear god. And everyones favorite on the PS3 Tokitowa...

cj_iwakura

That was before Imageepoch started its downward spiral. As Luminous Arc was pretty decent they had good characters and the battle system was pretty standard stuff. Felt like an actual game that had effort put into it.

A lot of the crap they made on the PSP era though dear god. And everyones favorite on the PS3 Tokitowa...

I know I'm one of the few, but I really liked Fate/Extra and BRS. I've played much, much worse games. There's nothing really bad about them, just flawed.

Parakeetman

I know I'm one of the few, but I really liked Fate/Extra and BRS. I've played much, much worse games. There's nothing really bad about them, just flawed.

BRS was the biggest fucking waste of a license ever. Horrible story and lets not even go into the abysmal gameplay...

Only thing that was good about the game besides the art was the limited edition that came with a figure. Even then that didnt save the game from going wagon sale. I still have an unopened LE box here too. Bought the game separate also at launch. Totally regret that purchase.

I heard Fate/Extra was ok but I never picked it up due to 2 main reasons 1. not a fan of the fate series and 2. wasnt too interested in the battle system design. Game does have some nice animations though.

Parakeetman

Looks like the game is doing fairly well considering the amazon.jp stock seems to have sold out. Early reviews are quite favorable also.

Ill still wait to see what Ryouga has to say though.

Parakeetman

After reading more random JP write ups on the game decided to take a look at it for myself so went and picked it up. Was a bitch to find though. Had to go riding over 4 towns on the bike as everywhere else along the way was sold out. Though I bet its more due to limited quantities than anything.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 is also sold out all over the place, but that game with how the others did can see why. Mine was supposed to have been on the way but apparently the order got screwed up so re-ordered it. Should arrive in a day or so. D:

Was wondering where the hell it was since it came out on the 6th...

Parakeetman

*Edit
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER FOR THOSE CONSIDERING IMPORTING
Truthfully for those who are curious about importing this game, unless you understand Japanese you will be missing out on a large part of the game itself as a lot of it is story based. And dont think you will really get that much enjoyment out of the game itself if you are just playing for the battles. Wont help too that one would not be able to read the skills and what they do with the monster girls either. So thats one thing a potential importer should seriously consider before purchasing the game. Since seriously its 70% story. (Spoken / Text)

Been playing a bit more and finally got through all the introductory story bits getting to the main real dungeon. Unfortunately seems like there are only 2 dungeons. The starting one which you will go back to later when you unlock more skills and the second dungeon which is unlocked after the whole long introductory story parts. It seems to work on the floor system so you just go deeper into the dungeon. With that being said dont expect this game to be like a normal JRPG with a world map and wandering around. Everything is done from a 2d map area selection system.

While the game isnt bad, its nothing really to write home about either. Though the characters seem to be amusing and the battle system is pretty straightforward stuff.

Capturing the monster girls with cards am sure will be something else fun to do on the side and necessary considering they have skills which supplement your character from. The skill categories that they have are Main / Sub / Map and fall into the categories of being active skills (player activated) or passive (active all the time).

Leveling them up = keeping them in your party can have 8 active at once I do believe and skills can be toggled between Main and Sub when out of battle. Leveling up the monster girls increases the ability of the skills that they have though it costs money each time you raise their level at the card shop once the exp cap has been reached. The exp they earn (represented by a heart) is different from the normal player exp. Then there is the final level unlock which is where you fight the monster girl and if you win she becomes fully leveled up. Pretty expensive though and if you fail I think you lose the money paid, but does not result in a game over like normal battles.

Example of one of the first monster girl card skill set.

--------------------
Stats Up
Main character status parameter up (Ex. Attack, Defense, Speed etc)

Main
Defense is raised for # turns

Sub
Auto defense is activated lowering damage taken when players life drops under #%

Map
None
-----------------------

Your character does not gain any skills actively from leveling up. Only thing that changes is stats and certain levels obtained will increase your AP count. So skills learned comes from the girls you meet in the game and getting the heart icon to fill up to full by fulfilling requests from them or advancing the story and from the monster girl cards.

One issue I do have is the fact that you just have a single character for the battles. Which my guess is this is how the game is going to play out pretty much. With that being said means there is a lot more focus on leveling up and obtaining skills to best suit the situation. Its something different from the usual party system that folks are used to. With how the story setting is written pretty much looks like thats going to be the case for the whole game a single party hero.

Its not bad per say, its just something I personally dont care for as much as it takes out a lot of the fun of having a well balanced party.

Though Id say for those who are curious and dont mind spending money on an "odd" JRPG this is a title worth checking out. Ill be sure to play this one to completion.

Currently grinding away to max out my monster girl cards. The larger issue is just money at the start of the game. I think the prices for bringing the 2 cards you can capture once you get the 2nd dungeon unlocked is like this

Lv 1 - 2 = 200 G
Lv 2 - 3 = 500 G
Max Lv = 1000 G
------------------------------
2 cards = 3400 G

money generally gained from enemies is pretty low at the start so takes a while unless you go selling things like the 必殺ミカン for about 100 G a pop which are dropped from the pigs with spears on the second floor. Since you can only carry 10 of those items its usually good to sell some before you fill totally up. Generally keep it around 5. But the drops are kinda rare so its not like you will be overflowing with them. The next set of monster girl cards are even more expensive to upgrade. D:

In closing am actually having fun with this game surprisingly enough. The battles become a little more interesting once you get more monster girl cards to supplement your skill regiment (active / passive). Also am amusing myself by fighting monsters Im not really supposed to yet gaining exp and money a bit faster. Plus captured one monster girl that I shouldnt exactly have yet due to the level difference, but its not like it breaks the game. The extra stats boost she provides to accuracy is useful though.

I still think Imageepoch needs to go under though. :)

Parakeetman

Hmm maybe the AP up is from advancing the story am lv 23 now and have not even done my first tournament fight and still no increase in my AP past 2... game lied lol

Ok you need to be lv
to get the third AP point. Am currently lv 28

Reveirg

Sounds like you got it right 4 years ago Duckroll.

Was reading this thread because I just finished playing Sands of Destruction.
It's a shame that Imageepoch has fallen so low considering Sands of Destruction and Arc Rise Fantasia are some of my favourite RPGs of their respective consoles. Nothing revolutionary but certainly solid RPGs. Imageepoch showed great promise.

Then came a flood of unlocalized JRPGs that, from import impressions, seemed to be getting worse and worse.
I wonder if there's any hope they'll up their game again. Maybe with that SRPG they've been teasing...

Eusis

Well, it's sounding like doing a decent job porting and cleaning up a hentai RPG IS them stepping up their game. But if they can't do anything good fully on their own it won't matter much to me if they sink. A shame since REALLY early on it seemed like they might have had some potential, but they apparently lost that potential, literally since I think the EO guy's on FFXIV now.

hongcha

Ok you need to be lv
to get the third AP point. Am currently lv 28

I am at level 16 and I have 3 AP points. Just about to do my second tournament fight (I did the first one at level 11 or 12 and it was pretty easy). Sounds like you are really over-leveled.

Parakeetman

I am at level 16 and I have 3 AP points. Just about to do my second tournament fight. Sounds like you are really over-leveled.

Am doing it on purpose. Used that underground area accessible by ladder in the second dungeon. That has the blocked off door to a room with water in it. Down there you can fight some pretty strong monsters that give a good amount of exp and money.

Ok if thats the case then other AP points must be unlocked by the story also then. So the bit about guessing it is from tournament fights must be right. Neat that means Ill have 4 AP for game breaking fun. lol Am currently lv 34? I think.

Parakeetman

Since your reply was so helpful Ill eventually advance the story to see what it is then that adds the extra AP. lol

So amusing roflstomping everything in my way. Nice to see the second dungeon actually looks different. Still waiting to get my 4th AP point.

The higher ranking monster girls I got before I was supposed to can see myself not maxing them out anytime soon with how much of a fight the weakest one in the bunch put up with me being at lv 34. Most likely will have to be around 40 Id imagine to beat the others / have more skills from the actual girls in the game. As that lv up goddess attack doesnt really cut it for dealing out damage efficiently.

Parakeetman

Did a new post since some new info in regards to the next AP from level advancement.

Alright story advancement increases the AP Next AP bonus is at lv

5 AP so good lol

The 勇者 character is so going to get his teeth kicked in good for my second match :D Yep 2 hits and dead~ Its good being Lv 36.

Good lord for the time being the max lv seems to be
wtf?! Considering my exp needed till next lv is at 0 am guessing thats it then. Hilarious if so considering Im still only on the 3rd fight now.

Did a new post since some new info in regards to the next AP from level advancement.

Alright story advancement increases the AP Next AP bonus is at lv

5 AP so good lol

The 勇者 character is so going to get his teeth kicked in good for my second match :D Yep 2 hits and dead~ Its good being Lv 36.

Good lord for the time being the max lv seems to be
wtf?! Considering my exp needed till next lv is at 0 am guessing thats it then. Hilarious if so considering Im still only on the 3rd fight now.

so the game is actually good ? or good by imagepooch standart ?

Zenaku

So, if the main plot of the game is to win a tournament and marry a girl, is that girl preset, or can you choose from a selection?

I'll be importing the new Harvest Moon, so I'm looking for other games to add to the import list.

Parakeetman

so the game is actually good ? or good by imagepooch standart ?

Its decent for an imageepoch game. At least Im enjoying it which says something since here at GAF Im most likely the King of the Hill when it comes to wanting the demise of that company.
This game doesnt really try to do anything all that different, but at least the gameplay is simple and straightforward and the story isnt abysmal like other titles they have put out. Though some folks might be irritated with how the main character is. But apparently thats a setting from the original PC games which they kept, from reading Japanese gamer comments on this title.

Another good point is no game breaking bugs yet at this time. Besides some oddities like flashing characters, no idea what causes it, in one area getting stuck in the air due to the ladder placement but can be resolved with the auto exit item and how interaction with objects in the world is they seemed to have fucked the coding of it as you need to be a certain distance away from object to interact with it at times.

Besides leveling the use and combination of monster girls taken along will become more important to how you complete dungeons mainly due to the map skills that they would have which allows the player to interact / traverse within the map. Such as breaking down walls, jumping across gaps, walking on objects floating on water etc. Also the type of main and sub skills available really do play a large part in winning fights if you are playing normally and didnt go insane and overlevel on purpose like me. So there is that strategic aspect too. Makes picking who you want to bring along difficult when you start go past the 8 character limit.

One other feature is the level up system which is a little irritating how you need to call the level up goddess each time, but there is a reason for that. You can set it to automatically call her to level you up when you reach said exp cap, but truthfully if you are looking to level up a bit faster its actually better to keep building exp and jump up multiple levels. Reason being is the exp earned goes down with each level you gain. Also leveling up refills HP and SP so thats useful if you dont want to bother heading to a save point or warping outside to heal.

Dont go fighting the special monsters that are left in the dungeons at times, reason being is that you will not be able to run away from that fight I do believe. But usually they leave you a save point near by such locations. These types of special monster locations have a sign in the area before finding said monster on the map.

Regular fights you can run away regardless of difference in levels between you and the monster. Also the option to restart or go back to main menu is there for when you die. So you can keep retying to kill whatever it is or attempt to run away till you are successful.

So, if the main plot of the game is to win a tournament and marry a girl, is that girl preset, or can you choose from a selection?

I'll be importing the new Harvest Moon, so I'm looking for other games to add to the import list.

Its not really a "waifu" game so to speak as in regards to you being able to chase after all the girls on the cover. And yeah as you mentioned in the plot there is a main heroine that seems to be tied with the hero story wise, though through events in the game where you can select what event to partake in I would guess that it changes something in the story.

Some parts you will have a choice between a location to go to which allows you to talk to said character. Though after making a decision the other selection(s)? (not sure if there are more than 2 yet) will vanish. So you need to choose one or the other currently. Ive been avoiding contact with the main heroine in that sense, as it seems like perhaps going the other route might open up something more interesting.

---

anyways hope this helps answer your guys questions. If you have any more feel free to leave them here and will assist to the best of my abilities. Granted Im not near the end of the game yet I am max level (for the time being in the story) lol so getting there wont be an issue from here on out. Though need to spend time on maxing the levels of my monster girls to upgrade their skills and stats bonus to max.

---

Side note was hilarious how I had 3 monster girls from the 5th dungeon level at pretty much near the start of the game due to the over leveling. Just looked up what level they came from on the wiki. Put them below in order of easiest to hardest to beat. Thanks to that room on the first floor far right side from the main entrance / take a ladder down into the enclosed room.

ねこまたまた、うしうしバンバン、人形と一緒

i was looking at the miiverse community , and damn, its full of NSFW screenshots , Nintendo is really diferent in japan, we dont event have a miiverse community for Shin Megami Tensei IV in America

hongcha

I finished the tournament today, with about 29 hours on my in-game clock. I maxed my level out at the limit, which is
, and got all the available monster cards and maxed all of those out as well before the last tournament fight. The game
goes on, however, with bonus dungeons and, from what I have read, a new game plus. I am just starting out on the post-tournament stuff, still have 12 monster cards to get that were not available before the end of the tournament!

Overall this is one of the best games I've played on the 3DS. Just a really, really fun game. This and Bravely Default are my favourite JRPGs on the system.

I finished the tournament today, with about 29 hours on my in-game clock. I maxed my level out at the limit, which is
, and got all the available monster cards and maxed all of those out as well before the last tournament fight. The game
goes on, however, with bonus dungeons and, from what I have read, a new game plus. I am just starting out on the post-tournament stuff, still have 12 monster cards to get that were not available before the end of the tournament!

Overall this is one of the best games I've played on the 3DS. Just a really, really fun game. This and Bravely Default are my favourite JRPGs on the system.

I wish i hadnt read that : (

9 hours in so far. Slowly making progress.

This is a very decent game and I don't hate it.

There Imageepoch, I said something nice about you. See? EVEN I'M CAPABLE OF FEELING THINGS SOME TIMES.

Top Bottom