• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of new PS4 interface

There is a lot of UI logic there for anybody who uses Facebook, which is what they are going for

Starting page:
txyEltk.jpg

Games are given prominence in the UI and its kind of like a lite XMB in functionality. all facets of the UI seems to feed into how you and other friends have interacted with a title. Here you can scroll horizontally to see each game you have, and in the vertical menu you have options of the friends who have played it, news feed, trophies etc.

Up the top you have quick access to the store, friends list and your profile and public activity feed (displayed below)

Profile page

4rq143x.png

The profile page seems to have a very similar design logic to Facebook. It shows a bit about you and an activity feed of everything you have been doing on the system

Main activity feed
w4Dix9t.jpg

This basically highlights what everybody is doing on the system

Major difference I see from the likes of Facebook is the UI language is backwards between the profile activity feed and the public one. On Facebook you have a simplified scroll list of activities conducted by friends, and the profile is made up of the Metro esque windows. Either way should be easy enough for people to adapt

Pretty smart system IMO, but it could use some visual tweaking. As I said, royal blue is never good. It invokes images of something old, not of freshness and newness. They should go with bright colours and a pale blue if they want to keep some streak of the Playstation Blue theme in there

Cake Boss

Banned
One small thing, I wish they get rid of those crappy small dull icons and update them to something more modern, talking about the messaging icons and the settings, friends etc.

isn't it kind of just a vertical XMB with boxes and more emphasis put on social features? Not that I'm complaining, like the look so far. Wondering if I'm missing something.

Strike

I'm sure it will certainly run better than the current PS3 interface as it not an afterthought and there's plenty of ram available. Like the features, but needs some work aesthetically.

Quasar

Don't like that last image. The others look fine though.

The whole talk about immediacy did make me laugh though given what they did to the PSN store on PS3.

alphaNoid

Banned
It looks alright but nothing special or wow worthy. To me it looks like the same 'ol guys who made Playstation UI in the past are at it again. Very little fresh ideas in place, lots of 'me too' looking features all presented in an overly blue, stark thing. I'm imagining what it could have looked like if they hired some young people with fresh, creative minds to design it.

For instance, Steam Big Picture mode has been out since 2012 and looks a ton better IMO.

PS4

Steam Big Picture

I mean it looks dated compared to Steam.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
that particular gradient of blue is garish. lacks the simple sophistication of the XMB.
XMB while its looks simple is a total mess. The Settings tab is a joke, its a visual mess of options and text. Lets not even mention the friends list. If you have lots of PSN friends, its a long list of vertical scrolling to see what they are doing.
The organisation of the XMB has gotten worse as the system has gotten older with more apps/services cluttering up the UI.

This redesign is totally needed and is touch-screen/pad friendly also as Sony seem to be aiming for in the announced smartphone/tablet app.

I would be interesting to know if a lite version of this new UI will be released for the PS3 & VITA in the next year too. It would make sense for the VITA anyway if they are planning to relaunch it with the PS4.

ant1532

Banned
that blue hurts my eyes. everything else, is good.

that blue though with the black totally looks like PS2 packaging type shit.

noah111

Still Alive
It's a year away so it's safe to say a lot will change (hell, PS store changes bi-monthly at this point), but all I can say is I will miss the XMB. A lot. They have to move on, but eh.

noah111

Still Alive
I look forward to seeing penises and trollfaces as peoples profile pictures.
I don't think that's how it'll work. I think you'll be able to 'connect' it with your Facebook or twitter, and that's where it will grab your name and real profile image.

Not a fan of using my real name online, also hate the idea of it learning from my tastes on what to show me.
The idea of the console downloading games and demo's also annoys me, some of us have bandwidth caps. All those options will be turned off as soon as it's plugged in....if even possible.

raven777

didn't they say there was a feature where if you are stuck on difficult part, you can let your friend take over and play for you?

xJavonta

Banned
You guys are acting like the Metro Design Language is a bad thing bit most certainly isn't. As far as readability/useability/ease of navigation/appearance goes, Metro anything > XMB bullshit.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Looks a lot like a Metro style app on Windows 8.

*runs and hides*

You guys are acting like the Metro Design Language is a bad thing bit most certainly isn't. As far as readability/useability/ease of navigation/appearance goes, Metro anything > XMB bullshit.

Pretty much Metro style runs very fast, shows a lot of content at once and is user friendly.

The future is made up of square tiles and rectangle tiles
and I don't mind.

Seems to be a repeating theme on a lot of new UIs lately.

Everything looks good, except the above it reminds me of Windows Phone 8 but over complicated and too much information to take in at once.

windows_phone_8.jpg

zoukka

No. Look at the activity feed pic. Tere's nothing efficient or readable about it. People prefer metro because there are pretty pics everywhere and they can fill their displays with elements so that no white space remains.

xJavonta

Banned
No. Look at the activity feed pic. Tere's nothing efficient or readable about it. People prefer metro because there are pretty pics everywhere and they can fill their displays with elements so that no white space remains.
Get glasses.

I'd rather have condensed information than a wall of fucking text on my television screen.

noah111

Still Alive
Not a fan of using my real name online, also hate the idea of it learning from my tastes on what to show me.
The idea of the console downloading games and demo's also annoys me, some of us have bandwidth caps. All those options will be turned off as soon as it's plugged in....if even possible.
1, The whole name thing is opt-in. 2, no clue how someone could "hate" that it's suggesting similar games but who knows it may me optional. 3, they clearly stated that is "the future" and the eventual "end goal" not that it's something it'll be doing out of the box. And if so it'd obviously be optional (internet bandwidth and all that).

didn't they say there was a feature where if you are stuck on difficult part, you can let your friend take over and play for you?
Yeah, you can share your video stream with anyone as well as let someone take control of your game to help you or just show you something, etc.

The idea of the console downloading games and demo's also annoys me
, some of us have bandwidth caps. All those options will be turned off as soon as it's plugged in....if even possible.

I agree, I don't like the idea of them spamming my harddrive with demo's and PSN games.

And people think the ads in the 360 dash are invasive. :p

FordGTGuy

Banned

Are you actually going to sit there and defend that mess and try to say there is no better way of doing it?

That's textbook fanboyism if I've ever seen it.

Some clear Organization to start would be nice.

Maybe start by organizing different feeds with unique shape/size/colour? Maybe not just organize everything to be visually equal for readabilitys sake?

In it's current condition it might as well be a white page of text.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I agree, I don't like the idea of them spamming my harddrive with demo's and PSN games.

And people think the ads in the 360 dash are invasive. :p
They won't spam your HDD with demos and PSN games. If you listened to the conference, any content you buy digitally will only pre-download the first small bit of data to enable you to start and play the game. The rest will download and install in the as needed.

So based on this I imagine PSN will learn what type of games you like and pre-load the first level of these games for you.

Deband

The future seems to be kids using my real name when they tell me they've been making love to my mother :( Other than that just getting XBL vibes.

ibun

they could also have gone with a two level XMB and it could have still be looking better. use a list view for a small number of items. highlighting would bring then in front with mor details and for a big number of items go for a grid view. arrange the icons in groups or whatever. new top side notification bar.

Arondight

There are multiple ways of doing it. Just need to take a look at Polygon's layout as an example for laying out information. Same Shape and size and easy to follow and navigate. That's the kind of layout Sony should be aiming for, not this which reminds of Verge and Win8. To fully read more of the content, you could click the article/image that expands open and further shows you more content. Or, you could go with the simpler method of stacking the information and fully displays content on the right side.

Top Bottom