• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of new PS4 interface

waypoetic

Banned
UI's change, so i'm sure they're going to improve on that.

Looking forward to when they show off the other UI stuff like the music- and videoplayer.

xJavonta

Banned
Maybe start by organizing different feeds with unique shape/size/colour? Maybe not just organize everything to be visually equal for readabilitys sake?
Possibly. I just can't picture it in my head as being as functional as this.

Are you actually going to sit there and defend that mess and try to say there is no better way of doing it?

That's textbook fanboyism if I've ever seen it.

Some clear Organization to start would be nice.

Are you serious? Shut up. Anyone who knows me or that has seen my post history knows that Sony isn't exactly a fantastic company to me. Prior to this PS4 announcement I wouldn't give a shit if they dropped out of the console race and never looked back. I was asking him a legitimate question. I don't know of a better way to do it since it seemed fine to me and can't imagine any other method working as well as what they have now for what it is. (Other than a slight influence from BPM)

I don't know about you guys, but making everything easily readable and accessible should be their number one priority. We don't need all the details, just a synopsis of what is going on. Right now, that looks exactly like what they have going on and it fits well. There are some improvements that could be done for aesthetics sake but in terms of functionality I picture this working very well. Much better than the XMB ever was for sure.

I'm sure by the time PS4 is released the UI will be cleaned up a bit. I hope we can still change the color of the background. I'm going to miss the game art and sounds when you scroll over the game disc on the XMB.

w4Dix9t.jpg

Seriously, this looks like shit. Just make the boxes the same size so it's easy to parse. There's a few sites that do this and it looks terrible on all of them.

really looking forward to Combat Plane 2!

Ranger X

This is a major step back in my opinion.
I can't believe we really are now in a world where ergonomics and efficiency isn't the priorised aspects over beauty. Now we have a visually appealing but, if Xbox or Windows8 of any indication, very inneficient, clunky and non-ergonomic design. Alot of tiles and pages flipping / moving for nothing. Bleh.

This is a major step back in my opinion.
I can't believe we really are now in a world where ergonomics and efficiency isn't the priorised aspects over beauty. Now we have a visually appealing but, if Xbox or Windows8 of any indication, very inneficient, clunky and non-ergonomic design. Alot of tiles and pages flipping / moving for nothing. Bleh.

Inefficient? Can you elaborate on this please.

It's efficient in showing you your content and possibly advertising the latest releases, etc. This will undoubtedly be one the things a number of developers asked Sony to look into, a way to promote their content on the start tab.

RibMan

I like XMB a lot but it could have been vita bubbles so i'm not that unhappy.

The Vita bubbles could work if implemented correctly. The touchpad on the controller allows that.

I do wonder what the final UI will look like. With the amount of RAM in the system, I think they'll finally be able to create a fast and visually pleasing interface.

jwk94

I just realized they're taking the Live Area aspect of the Vita and putting it into the PS4's UI. That's pretty neat.

Jay Sosa

meh I really hate that fad(that godawful windows 8 shit that everyone seems to love so much), but as long as it's not as horrible as the PS3 one I'm good.

Yonafunu

Am I the only one who thinks this looks horrendous? Good god, I thought XMB was too messy but this looks all over the place.
It looks like some ugly Metro - Xbox dashboard crap. And that colour...

I don't think they showed the MAIN interface when you turn the PS4 on. It all looks like the store, share area, friend profiles ect.

I want to see this bitch turned on, moving around and then launching a game.

My biggest hype for PS4? A new fast store. Oh god the speed of the store is going to be amazing.
Because they haven't shown a home screen yet.
Ah I see.

E3! HURRY UP!

Dragon

Banned
Good job it isn't really Metro then. Metro is just as much about typography and spacing as it is about tiles. Calling the PS4 interface Metro is doing a huge disservice to (the real) Metro.

metrodesign_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Wp7_musicvideo.jpg

Good job regardless of what it actually is, people consider it Metro. Sure Metro may be something different but everyone thinks it's Metro. Perception vs. reality.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Looks great, but the bland blue background is diminishing it's appeal.

Can't wait to slap an amazing wallpaper on there, like I have on my PS3.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Knack spoilers! :eek:
Lol we think alike I just noticed that before I read your post. Honestly I'm half and half with the whole real name thing. I don't mind from a privacy perspective but people on Facebook would tear me apart lol. But I shouldn't be the type that cares what people think so hopefully I'll be okay.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Looks great, but the bland blue background is diminishing it's appeal.

Can't wait to slap an amazing wallpaper on there, like I have on my PS3.

Yeah, I think the blue background is making it hard for me to assess this. It makes everything look a little muted, so the UI elements don't really pop. I think it could be much better with a different background though.

I don't want any of you watching me play games.

You don't have a choice. I'm watching whether you like it or not.
Correct.

A folder with installed games.

What appears when you hit Share on the controller.

An overview of all your friends' latest activities.

A friends' profile.

Someone's live stream.
phil-dunphy-thumbsup.gif

Ahh makes sense!

I was thinking that first picture was the PSStore. I like the idea of the game folder though, nice.

Mr_Zombie

Maybe not just organize everything to be visually equal for readabilitys sake?

You know, I think that "friends' activity" screen actually would be much better if the tiles actually were visually equal. Right now they are of different sizes and the content in them, even though similar, is arranged differently in each tile. There are 4 different avatar sizes shown in those 9 tiles. Some tiles have username next to the avatar, some have it under the avatar. Some tiles present actual information below the user info, some present it next to the user info. Only two tiles on that screen have an additional message above user info.

Right now it's a total mess, and those are just 9 tiles.

Ranger X

Inefficient? Can you elaborate on this please.

It's efficient in showing you your content and possibly advertising the latest releases, etc. This will undoubtedly be one the things a number of developers asked Sony to look into, a way to promote their content on the start tab.

Inefficient means I will flip and click alot more shit to get what I want to get. It will be just more clunky and slower. But its doomed to be like that because a menu with pages and tiles can't possibly be faster than a grid like the XMB.

baphomet

Nice to see the video overlay of the player while streaming. I didn't notice that in the presentation, but that makes me more excited than it probably should. For some reason I'd much rather watch the player as well as the video. Video of the game alone is boring to me and having the player on there makes it more personable than than straight video of the game running.

Tripolygon

Banned
Correct.
A folder with installed games.
txyEltk.jpg

I think this is more like Live Area. Every game gets its own live Area where you can see things related to that particular game like trophies earned and news feed of what friends who own this games have done like shared screens-shots and video etc. Just like how you can get ads for DLC on Live Area, Sony has expanded it to ads of games similar to this game as you can see on the top right.

Durante

Personally, I think the XMB is the pinnacle of interface design for a controller. But I can see the business argument for something more "modern" (that is, cluttered and littered with stuff I don't care for).

TheMink

I like how they confirm a Party system on the 4th streaming picture. Great news.

They confirmed the party system with people being able to play seperate games but still be able to look at what your freind is playing and talk to them :p

speedline

Banned
Personally, I think the XMB is the pinnacle of interface design for a controller. But I can see the business argument for something more "modern" (that is, cluttered and littered with stuff I don't care for).

Agreed, XMB is uncluttered and easy to navigate. I will miss it.

I like most of the interface pictures shown. I am fine with the below picture if it is basically the "what's new with friends" page. It would be good if it is a secondary menu that just lets me glance at the latest stuff about my PS4 friends.

Takuya

Banned
I think they mostly wanted to show "what they were aiming for" as far as what content to show, and what kinds of information we'll see on the new dashboard. This is far from finalized.

Top Bottom