• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of new PS4 interface

Love it, they are NAILING the "connectivity" aspect that made them look weak to MS.

IMO, Sony has been making incredible strides when it comes to branding PlayStation Network, and I firmly believe that they can edge out MS completely if MS chooses to focus on apps and what have you.

Best of all, NO ADS! (RIGHT!??)

I am loving what Sony is doing. Never did I think a Japanese company could understand or catch up when it came to networking, but they've blown it out of the park, and it was evident with the VITA.

It's still rather crap. There's no rhyme or reason between the different sections: each one of OP's images are completely different layouts/designs from one another. No unified language.

Honestly, I don't know why Sony doesn't pay Codemasters to do their UI. Look at any of those Dirt or Grid games and I'm sure Codemasters could whip something up proper.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
w4Dix9t.jpg

Seriously, this looks like shit. Just make the boxes the same size so it's easy to parse. There's a few sites that do this and it looks terrible on all of them.

Mikey Jr.

Can't really comment on the style, but I like how it finally feels like an actual community.

As much as I love the XMB, it sometimes felt like you were all alone.

Let's hope that they have a Pop-up simplified XMB like MS has with the pop-up menu.

I am definitely going to miss PS3 themes, but perhaps they will find a way to customize the current version, as they made money off of themes. Probably "banners" like Facebook or something like that. Customization is key

Philthy

These all look like shots within parts of the actual interface, not the interface itself.

I love the current XMB, but these images are looking a bit like the 360 Xbox Live interface, which I absolutely hate with all my being.

Alcander

From a design standpoint, it looks like a fairly amateurish attempt to ape pinterest and metro.

It also smells of mockups, so its probably a pretty long way off.

[edit] I should add, though, that I thought the PS3 UI was decent, but severely restricting. Also the PS Store UI was absolute garbage.

This looks like it was definitely done by a western team and not Japanese.

It seems like the whole console was done by a western team. They're using an x86 processor and not some proprietary "cell" or "emotion engine" processor, lots of ram, easy to develop for, etc.

I am still in heavy favor of the XMB. These screens are too reminiscent of the redesigned store trauma. The squares conjure up the bitterness of lag and having to take the longest route to get simple things done. I will assume that things will ultimately get better, as there is nowhere near as much lag these days. Just as many extra steps, though.

Alcander

Seriously, this looks like shit. Just make the boxes the same size so it's easy to parse. There's a few sites that do this and it looks terrible on all of them.

This is clearly inspired by pinterest (and the numerous tumblr clones), and why not -- its an incredibly popular service due in large part to this design. I think it actually works well for displaying a large amount of non-uniform information (think a newsfeed). I just think this attempt falls flat. It just doesn't fit in with their other "futuristic" design themes.

Top Bottom