• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of new PS4 interface

Hopefully we can customize the colour scheme of this. I absolutely don't like the black/blue background. Let me select something more inviting than this.

As for functionality, as long as it's content focused and not Ad focused like the current XB Dash, I'm down. Homescreen customization is a must (akin to the 3DS/WiiU icons) but a bit more fleshed out with categories and folders.

waypoetic

Banned
Looks pretty good.

522548_10151274726672016_685493848_n.jpg

So I decided to have a mess about with my own concept...

jxjBCM7Q1qY2g.jpg

The Home screen.
Everything available in one of the dynamic panes at a glance. Have Trophies update on the fly in the background and instantly viewable, even without clicking through. Games, music, photos and share all showing the last played/uploaded media. As well as showing who's online at a glance and the latest Store offers as it updates in real time. Your profile at the top takes you to your account where you customise and access your information as well as send/receive messages.

jZu950MXyXYbV.jpg

Your News Feed.
Basically where all your notifications go, so you don't miss a trick. Short press the PS button and it takes you here. The shortcuts will either take you straight to the game or to where ever the action is happening. Can also be accessed in-game, where the web browser may be brought up.

jx6PCubPAEwfv.jpg

The Games tab.
Where all your downloaded games will go and can be sorted into folders. Will also show your last played game as the main focus where, if available, you can resume and jump straight back into it. Provides basic information such as game progress as well as Trophies and people playing, all at a glance. Shows if you have Shared content as well as the newest Store content/updates for your games. Also whether it's a downloaded game or Blu-ray disc. You can also rate your games and see your friends' ratings for their games.

jXgtF3RRhlu7b.jpg

jz3nwKH098DnV.jpg

The Photo and TV/Video tab.
The place where all your media is located including the Music tab, your media can again all be put into special folders. Also shows any services such as Play Memories and Netflix where you can go in and watch your favourite content.

jxjBCM7Q1qY2g.jpg

The Home screen.
Everything available in one of the dynamic panes at a glance. Have Trophies update on the fly in the background and instantly viewable, even without clicking through. Games, music, photos and share all showing the last played/uploaded media. As well as showing who's online at a glance and the latest Store offers as it updates in real time. Your profile at the top takes you to your account where you customise and access your information as well as send/receive messages.

jZu950MXyXYbV.jpg

Your News Feed.
Basically where all your notifications go, so you don't miss a trick. Short press the PS button and it takes you here. The shortcuts will either take you straight to the game or to where ever the action is happening. Can also be accessed in-game, where the web browser may be brought up.

jx6PCubPAEwfv.jpg

The Games tab.
Where all your downloaded games will go and can be sorted into folders. Will also show your last played game as the main focus where, if available, you can resume and jump straight back into it. Provides basic information such as game progress as well as Trophies and people playing, all at a glance. Shows if you have Shared content as well as the newest Store content/updates for your games. Also whether it's a downloaded game or Blu-ray disc. You can also rate your games and see your friends' ratings for their games.

jXgtF3RRhlu7b.jpg

jz3nwKH098DnV.jpg

The place where all your media is located including the Music tab, your media can again all be put into special folders. Also shows any services such as Play Memories and Netflix where you can go in and watch your favourite content.

Yup we need a new thread. Id make one if I wasnt on my phone. Will make it when I get hoke but Im sure someone reading this can start it with credit to the ones already made in here.

I love UI concepts.

grumble

As a UI / UX Designer and PS3-gamer myself, this is something that really interests me.
It's nice to see that Sony is really going all out this time.

Some of the mockups in this thread look great. I would do some myself, but as I work on Driveclub for Evolution Studios, my mockups would be influenced by the knowledge I have of the product... which I then couldn't share with you. Also: I'm very busy anyway. ;-)

I'll be sure to provide the relevant people with feedback and I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

Best of luck with Driveclub! If you can let anything slip about the UI, please let us know!

Mikey Jr.

As a UI / UX Designer and PS3-gamer myself, this is something that really interests me.
It's nice to see that Sony is really going all out this time.

Some of the mockups in this thread look great. I would do some myself, but as I work on Driveclub for Evolution Studios, my mockups would be influenced by the knowledge I have of the product... which I then couldn't share with you. Also: I'm very busy anyway. ;-)

I'll be sure to provide the relevant people with feedback and I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

Yeah, Sony seeing this thread would be awesome. These mockups are fantastic and would be great if Sony looked at them.

SMD

Yes, that's me. :)

I can't really go into specifics unfortunately.

All I can say is that we're certainly aiming for swipe interaction throughout the GUI.

As for swipe interactions during gameplay: Perhaps. That's not up to me.

Swipe to wax your car.

Ran rp

The mock ups need to retain the shadows behind the text. Without them visibility of the text suffers.

Looks pretty good.

522548_10151274726672016_685493848_n.jpg

If there weren't any shadows then it would have been pretty hard to read the screen here. You can even see the effect up top with the username and clock.

Bigjelly

Banned
Also looks as if they will allow keyboards :) no one is going to type in all that text with a stick.

On a side note I don't like these layouts where you get one or two listings per page. Please have a List layout mode for those not looking for eye candy just real content.

Just found out the logo is for Ustream like stated above - Thats really weird they look identical to me I smell a lawsuit somewhere...

Bigjelly

Banned
Ustream came before the Wii U. What kind of lawsuit are you implying?

Well Ustream could than demand Nintendo change their logo adding to their list of problems, and or Nintendo could moneyhat Usteam for it's usage. Something similar to the clock icon issues Apple had recently.

rbanke

This reminds me a little of.....

Overall it's looking like a cleaner, more concise version of the 360 dashboard minus the ads (so far at least), which is a good thing IMO. It'll finally have some life to it, cos as elegant looking as the XMB is, it is lifeless.
I agree it does look like that, But I REALLY don't get design trend. It looks so cluttered with no focus. There are several websites using this type of design that I find completely unusable as a result (theverge comes to mind). Can someone explain the thinking behind this style to me? Why is this looked at as a clean, easy to use interface? To me it looks to be the complete opposite.

Also looks as if they will allow keyboards :) no one is going to type in all that text with a stick.

of course. Touch pad should be another good option if they make it as intuitive as I think it can be, and 'playstation app' devices should work too.

I don't get why they seem to want to only show a few games on screen at the same time, I like the customisable smartphone style of showing lots of options at once like Nintendo goes for.

Oppo

I gotta say some of this looks really good. Very functional.

They released these as PR shots which makes me think maybe they aren't as mocked up as I thought. I mean if it really has stuff like this:

XRdGKx7.jpg

...then I will be very pleased indeed.

This seems like placeholder, no? On the other hand, would it be less than a year away from release without a finalized front end? Hmmm

Mik_Pad

Banned
I gotta say some of this looks really good. Very functional.

They released these as PR shots which makes me think maybe they aren't as mocked up as I thought. I mean if it really has stuff like this:

XRdGKx7.jpg

...then I will be very pleased indeed.
That picture makes me very happy, Stats tracking!

Oppo

Steam's Big Picture beats the hell out of this.

I quite like what Valve has done with Big Picture, but it is extremely limited functionality-wise compared to what we are seeing here. You can't view any trophy info, for instance. You don't get any of the social popup sidebar stuff that you see on the normal client mode. The store itself is just two scrolling strips of rectangles. The Community stuff loads the normal web page! It's not as fleshed out yet. It does look nice but it's quite sparse.

CREMSteve

This is sexy.

edit: speaking of sexy, someone photoshop actual PS4 players and/or the type of images and names they would have in for those models please.

I like the idea of using actual photos as an avatar, ala Facebook. Just give me the ability to set privacy options.

Game avatars are stupid. I'm not 12 anymore.

I think the blue background is hurting the PR shots. Makes everything look so dull and dated. With some sexy wallpapers/dynamic themes i can see it working as you guys already proved.

The playstation app looks great. Simple and sleek. Guess we'll be able to cross party chat with mobile devices? Pretty sick.

Boss Man

I like the idea of using actual photos as an avatar, ala Facebook. Just give me the ability to set privacy options.

Game avatars are stupid. I'm not 12 anymore.
Yes, I'm a grown ass man.

Now watch me get the trophy for collecting 100 jewels in Knack!!

I just don't think video games and real life social activity belong together. I don't want to know most of the people on my PSN list personally, or refer to them by their real names and know what they look like. I definitely don't want to post my video game achievements to real people I know on facebook either, that's just silly.

I'd like for PSN to remain more contained. But it doesn't look like it's going that direction so whatevs. I'll roll with it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
This seems like placeholder, no? On the other hand, would it be less than a year away from release without a finalized front end? Hmmm
It's probably near final. They showed off the PS3 XMB at GDC 06 and it came out looking pretty much the same (except for the in game part : / ).

They'll tweak it here and there, but the end product will be very similar.

jxjBCM7Q1qY2g.jpg

The Home screen.

jZu950MXyXYbV.jpg

Your News Feed.

jx6PCubPAEwfv.jpg

The Games tab.

jXgtF3RRhlu7b.jpg

jz3nwKH098DnV.jpg

Some nice ideas, but it feels a bit too PS3. Everything sorted by their media segments. PS4 seems to have a more holistic social integration that I don't think your design goes for

Top Bottom