• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of new PS4 interface

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
screen_1114uueq.jpg

The blue is so 1997. Reminds me of the FFVII menu.

Kysel

Its seems very "Metro"...
Almost very similar to the layout of apps and such on the current Xbox 360 interface.
Much better than the old XMB, that thing makes my head hurt.

Its seems very "Metro"...
Almost very similar to the layout of apps and such on the current Xbox 360 interface.
Much better than the old XMB, that thing makes my head hurt.

that's where the touchpad comes in. it's acting as your touchpad on laptop. i think that's what they said they were going for when it comes to menu navigation. expecting a cluttered mess and lots of overlapping.

Ran rp

I'm sure It'll be cleaned up nicely for launch. The Vita's OS was a weird when it was first shown off but it turned out pretty nice at launch.

stryke

sony-ps4-grabs-2-28-13-03.jpg

Edge just published an article on the PS4 interface. The only new image was this. Gives an idea of how it will integrate on phones.

Goldrusher

Official PR shots

screen_010eiua6.jpg

I just realized that the orange icon on the left, is the one we have on PS3 for "What's New".

So that screenshot probably shows you a What's New section, with random news and activity.
And not your own games as we previously thought.

Here's how it looks on PS3 right now:

xmbwntpunz.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can't say anything beats the PS3 interface. It's streamlined, relaxing, and I love the Coca-Cola swirly (which was probably done intentionally, just like the Spider-Man font, for subliminal purposes in making the PS3 look like two other popular brands).

I want some sort of wave like on PS3. It has to move and be relaxing.

Axspell

Neo Member
This is kinda unrelated, but I don't understand the distaste towards Knack's art style. Seeing Knack on that main UI there... he just looks at home with the PlayStation aesthetic. Is it unsurprising of me to say that, coming from Cerny, it looks like it could be the next Crash Bandicoot for a new generation of kids?

That aside, I am liking the overall interface. It's leagues ahead of the XMB and takes direct inspiration from what Microsoft did right -- making the UI as visual as possible. Making it tangible, like you could almost walk up to it and take a product off a shelf. Pictures pictures pictures.

The ribbon in the background of the PS4 screens did move when they showed it at the meeting. It looked a lot like the PS3 ribbon (but blue). You just can see less of it because of bigger icons in front.

Hofmann

I can't say anything beats the PS3 interface. It's streamlined, relaxing, and I love the Coca-Cola swirly (which was probably done intentionally, just like the Spider-Man font, for subliminal purposes in making the PS3 look like two other popular brands).

Yeah, I could stare at it for hours. Is it true that it was designed by Q-Games?

zoukka

I will miss the weird, unique console UI's of old. It was exciting to wait and see what the console manufacturers would come up with to separate them from the competition. All the weird sound effects, visual distinction and menu flow...

In the future you can't tell the difference between a home console UI to spotify.

Ryuhza

Banned
I feel like the UI is unnecessarily huge in parts. The only issue I ever had with XMB was once you amassed a large amount of any sort of content, you had to do a lot of scrolling. And loading times, but I assume they've wised up and fixed all that. I don't understand what other problems one might have.

This new design reminds me of the new Playstation Store, which, while perfect for the PC, is godawful in use on the actual Playstation 3.

fixuis

This is kinda unrelated, but I don't understand the distaste towards Knack's art style. Seeing Knack on that main UI there... he just looks at home with the PlayStation aesthetic. Is it unsurprising of me to say that, coming from Cerny, it looks like it could be the next Crash Bandicoot for a new generation of kids?

That aside, I am liking the overall interface. It's leagues ahead of the XMB and takes direct inspiration from what Microsoft did right -- making the UI as visual as possible. Making it tangible, like you could almost walk up to it and take a product off a shelf. Pictures pictures pictures.

I'm really looking forward to knack and really happy that sony is looking to recapture some of the magic of old school games that led to its domination in the first place.

I feel like the UI is unnecessarily huge in parts. The only issue I ever had with XMB was once you amassed a large amount of any sort of content, you had to do a lot of scrolling. And loading times, but I assume they've wised up and fixed all that. I don't understand what other problems one might have.

This new design reminds me of the new Playstation Store, which, while perfect for the PC, is godawful in use on the actual Playstation 3.

the xmb while bland is actually the most functional and simple way to navigate. on xbox it's convoluted with so many things around at the same time. This seems like an evolution of the xmb and improving it upon the previous weakness.

I've seen more people complain about Knack's art style not matching up that well with the art style for the humans in the game more then I've seen a general distaste for the art style altogether.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do we know if we'll be able to customize the notifications that we recieve? I play with notifications off on PS3 so I don't have the sign in sign off box appearing every few seconds but because of that I miss a lot of messages and game invites. I with I could just turn off the friend online status pop up and leave everything else. It seems like a basic feature but I fear it'll go overlooked.

I just realized that the orange icon on the left, is the one we have on PS3 for "What's New".
So that screenshot probably shows you a What's New section, with random news and activity.

Here's how it looks on PS3 right now:

xmbwntpunz.jpg

Dam you are right,i hope that is how the game library looks. Can you start games from the "what's new" on PS3? I can't remember.

Dam you are right,i hope that is how the game library looks. Can you start games from the "what's new" on PS3? I can't remember.

i think "what's new" only takes you to the game page on the store.

but you can put your ps3 games into a folder and you can start them from that folder. you just need to go in the Games section and press square.
the Minis get their own folder as well as NeoGeo Station for example

you probably knew that already though

Boss Man

It looks to me like the "What's New" icon is just present on the scroll bar, along with the games on the right. It just happens to be first on the list, while Knack is second.

Could be wrong, could be either way honestly. Curious to see more of the UI.

davious88

Banned
I love new console UI's - nice to see the XMB taking a well earned retirement - my favourite UI ;)

Just want to get this thing in my hands!

sunnz

Ustream were a partner for the conference. There was no mention of YouTube either and I'd be very surprised if that wasn't in.

Hmm guess so. Just having the option to watch twitch tv streams would be great, if not allowed to stream straight to them.

Kyoufu

I dislike how SONY went with USTREAM. I guess MS have money-hatted Twtich tv :(

So sad.

UStream isn't exclusive to Sony and I doubt Twitch is exclusive to MS.

Dave Perry said they've teamed up with partners including Facebook and Ustream.

However if Twitch is MS only then that's a big advantage for the platform.

I dislike how SONY went with USTREAM. I guess MS have money-hatted Twtich tv :(

So sad.

It makes me wonder if they really did. I guess Ustream is actually bigger than Twitch/Justin. Having over 1 million simultaneous viewers shits all over Twitch's 120k or so that I saw it peak at. But still Twitch is the place to go for watching video game streams, it's what most gamers have gotten use to. So it would be too bad if they couldn't get on board with the PS4. It would suck but Ustream will get the job done.

Do we know if we'll be able to customize the notifications that we recieve? I play with notifications off on PS3 so I don't have the sign in sign off box appearing every few seconds but because of that I miss a lot of messages and game invites. I with I could just turn off the friend online status pop up and leave everything else. It seems like a basic feature but I fear it'll go overlooked.

they already fixed this on Vita so it shouldn't be a problem for PS4

It makes me wonder if they really did. I guess Ustream is actually bigger than Twitch/Justin. Having over 1 million simultaneous viewers shits all over Twitch's 120k or so that I saw it peak at. But still Twitch is the place to go for watching video game streams, it's what most gamers have gotten use to. So it would be too bad if they couldn't get on board with the PS4. It would suck but Ustream will get the job done.

UStream is supposedly bigger in Japan also so they have that angle

Hopefully this new UI isn't slow. The number one thing I want from this UI is speed.

Yep.

New native PS Store is mostly shit due to how sluggish it can run.

davious88

Banned

I've been a gamer for 20 years - I've only just learned what TwitchTV is in this post.

Top Bottom