• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
pfC7C4A.jpg

Just as they're about ta set foot into town... battle time! Against penguins? Who could resist the allure of RAGE BOMBER? Manipulating baddies ta build up limit meters is certainly a thing ta do, especially for 1-1, 2-1, 3-1's ta get their needed uses outta the way quicker.

0ts37a3.jpg
BWEz9IA.jpg
7edHcIv.jpg

This is Cosmo Canyon! A town built into cliffsides! Its FF XIII's hometown an he seems ta be going by a fresh new name! You is pumped about being here as well.

ouJf9v8.jpg
0N9aGGv.jpg

Very pumped! An Nanaki seems ta be FF XIII's true name. Well isn't that something?

gY9WGKj.jpg
wl2yiu4.jpg

This here bonfire is holy an said ta have gone out only once, back when something horrifying happened. Which makes it perfect to license the name of for booze, and trinkets, an prolly t-shirts to. This place is starting ta smell like yet another tourist trap >.>;

O8n9z1x.jpg
d8Cttvd.jpg

A room with no people or items or nothing. Whats the point? Well its labeled Nanaki's Room in the menu! If non-characters like Johnny and Zack can have designated homes, so can party members! An its close by random bar ad #5. Wait, 5? Did I miss one somewhere along the way o.o?

c8TuKQ6.jpg

The item store here seems ta have another room to it but we cannot pass. What a tease!

cRcktlf.jpg

Found another photo-op spot! No other reason ta climb this ladder since theres nothing ta find up here.

pwx2N65.jpg
igT8D4g.jpg
dOZ3lGf.jpg

As promised back when leaving Midgar, FF XIII was only sticking around until he got back home. Farewell friend! ...What the heck Mr Meows? You're a robot why're ya tired lol.

sk63Ci2.jpg

Ohh hey hey hey! Heres the #4 I've been missing! How many more are left and is there gonna be a payoff to all this??

YnWrPfV.jpg
ngJnSX2.jpg

Cosmo Canyon isn't just FF XIII's birthplace, its also where AVALANCHE was born! An by what You's implying he isn't the founder? So what happened to the original guy? And if we're not AVALANCHE anymore whats our new band name o.o?

bPFD4U1.jpg
lP3VGb1.jpg

Mr Meows eats?! Just what in the world is he anyway??

ffDyEZb.jpg
utt9pAw.jpg

Grandpa Bugenhagen here has What adjusting his thoughts on FF XIII real fast! Turns out he's by far the youngest member of the party by like 4 or 5 years, in human terms anyway!

KHanqsz.jpg
DqaaIl0.jpg
U1DYnkm.jpg

Through his contraption Bugenhagen can hear the cries of the planet an sure enough an eerie scream can be heard right on cue. He invites What and a couple pals ta come have a closer look at the machine...

r2rwTls.jpg

But this isn't what he had in mind! Get down from there What!!

bNdK1b8.jpg
SK8hqE3.jpg

Space! Its a heck of a place! Bugenhagens putting on a neat lil show for everyone!

cSmgogw.jpg
ltCgads.jpg
So3wPjV.jpg

Of course planetarium shows always gotta throw in some education. In this case the old man says the souls of all living things merge to become a Lifestream. Through its Spirit Energy new people an stuff are born.

f0ix2hv.jpg
aDJqy6S.jpg
RnSKI5r.jpg

Spirit Energy does all that and more! Without it, planets will crumble apart into space debris? Er... what're this old guys scientific credentials again?

Kck1HmX.jpg
7stVHVm.jpg

If what he's saying is true then I'd call this the real crisis for the planet! The party really should get back ta busting Shinra skulls and reactors no?

TgA4MTn.jpg
wT3wT5X.jpg
CFx2Wyu.jpg

While resting at the Cosmo Candle, You sheds tears for Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie while declaring AVALANCHE will be reborn. Look goes emo on us. And This while thinking about 5 years ago has something she wants ta ask What but is to afraid to.

ypl5mss.jpg
DbrcmLk.jpg

FF XIII meanwhile is just being plain angry over his cowardly father!

mySlsoi.jpg

Bugenhagen wants ta take FF XIII someplace an requests What's help since its supposed ta be super dangerous. Confirming that the team is good ta go, he opens up a long sealed door!

fVhcTvv.jpg

...psyche! Where could the party possibly be going now? And why?

_Ryo_

Gonna try to beat XII for the first time, to celebrate. I will be splitting my timw playing Persona 3 for the SMT one.

I think I can maybe do it if i stop worrying about trying to complete every hunt and side quest lol.

sphinx

the piano man
thanks everyone for your answers regarding missables in FFX

one big question I have though.

when talking about the Platinum trophy for this game, why do people go like "omgholyfuckingshit, hardest thing in my gaming life"?

I mean, I read a guide for trophies and only the missable things mentioned in this page can prevent you from getting a platinum.

what is the problem here? boss/enemy difficulty? grinding? what's hard about it?

I have Bloodborne and Evil Within platinums + all DLC trophies, that was hard on all accounts. Is it anything like those? I am trying to get an idea of what I'll be getting into going for the platinum,

I know it takes time to get the sphere grids done but that sounds more time consuming than hard.

Arthea

thanks everyone for your answers regarding missables in FFX

one big question I have though.

when talking about the Platinum trophy for this game, why do people go like "omgholyfuckingshit, hardest thing in my gaming life"?

I mean, I read a guide for trophies and only the missable things mentioned in this page can prevent you from getting a platinum.

what is the problem here? boss/enemy difficulty? grinding? what's hard about it?

I have Bloodborne and Evil Within platinums + all DLC trophies, that was hard on all accounts. Is it anything like those? I am trying to get an idea of what I'll be getting into going for the platinum,

I know it takes time to get the sphere grids done but that sounds more time consuming than hard.
oh man, you have no idea... 100%-ing FFX is a nightmare, truly it is, and grinding a grid is least of problems, you have those sidequests for ultimate weapons that can drive anyone crazy. I think that it is one of the hardest games to platinum too.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I'm 99% sure if you miss that one it reappears somewhere on bikanel later

Oddly enough, all of the repeated primers in the desert aren't even missable in the first place. I never understood why the Home primers didn't move to the desert afterwards.

sphinx

the piano man
oh man, you have no idea... 100%-ing FFX is a nightmare, truly it is, and grinding a grid is least of problems, you have those sidequests for ultimate weapons that can drive anyone crazy. I think that it is one of the hardest games to platinum too.

I think I will have to see for myself but I suspect people overstate the difficulty. Will come back after a couple of months and give my opnion :)

BumRush

I think I will have to see for myself but I suspect people overstate the difficulty. Will come back after a couple of months and give my opnion :)

Unless you have a really strong reason for it, I'd suggest playing 5-6 other games rather than 100%-ing FFX. There are so many frustratingly grindy things that need to be done to achieve this.

sphinx

the piano man
Unless you have a really strong reason for it, I'd suggest playing 5-6 other games rather than 100%-ing FFX. There are so many frustratingly grindy things that need to be done to achieve this.

here's the thing.

I am going to embark in a very difficult project, profesionally, one that will last several months, I want to get as little distraction as possible, all while getting some videogame time as a means to turn off the job stress. The idea is that playing one game spares me the need of learning new mechanics from 5 or 6 different games,

I actually want a long game that I can come to to "relax" (I know I know) without needing to invest time to learn much of anything, story or gameplaywise. I like the idea of coming back home after work, know perfectly well how the game works, beat some monsters, do some quests and turn it off. Repeat.

also, this is the only game in my backlog and sinking time in it will save me lots of money, which is a very good thing right now (I just paid 300 dls for a weekend in spain...)

also, I refuse to pay full price for the 2 or 3 games I'd potentially like to play in the next months, I'd rather let them go down in price or get a "game of the year" edition with all the DLC down the road.

I see myself buying new videogame stuff somewhere in October, not earlier.

so, I guess I am ok with the outlook?

EDIT: also, It'd be really helpul if you guys could tell me what exact trophies are nightmarish, "Weapon Master" seems to be one of those

Arthea

I'm not talking you out of it, go for it! I just wanted to warn you about annoyances.
And I hope you are not susceptible to epilepsy, you'll see why.

as for those hardest to get: weapons are the hardest.
Dodge Lightning is nightmarish
win a race for 0 time is plain horrid
temple chocobo race is no walk in the park either
maxing sphere grid takes hours upon hours of grind
finding all Al Bhed primers could pose a problem too, some are very easy to miss or not to find at all
others are not so bad, unless you'll hate Blitzball, I didn't,

Jecht Shot is one of early missables, not really hard, but easy to miss

BumRush

I'm not talking you out of it, go for it! I just wanted to warn you about annoyances.
And I hope you are not susceptible to epilepsy, you'll see why.

as for those hardest to get: weapons are the hardest.
Dodge Lightning is nightmarish
win a race for 0 time is plain horrid
temple chocobo race is no walk in the park either
maxing sphere grid takes hours upon hours of grind
finding all Al Bhed primers could pose a problem too, some are very easy to miss or not to find at all
others are not so bad, unless you'll hate Blitzball, I didn't,

Jecht Shot is one of early missables, not really hard, but easy to miss

I was so impossibly bad at this...

Arthea

I was so impossibly bad at this...

this thing made me rage quit a game for the first time in my life, I even have thrown my controller at the screen (good it didn't break lol), I never was so mad at a game in my life, before or after.

the thing about ultimate weapons is... you don't really need them if you are maxing the grid or even doing all arena, without maxing a grid, but at that point in the game you don't know that yet.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
EDIT: also, It'd be really helpul if you guys could tell me what exact trophies are nightmarish, "Weapon Master" seems to be one of those

Weapon Master isn't grindy at all. You just need to find all the base Celestial weapons for the trophy. You don't need the crests or sigils that actually make them good. If you do want to get those (which you will if you're going for 100%)....

You're looking at upwards of 15 hours of blitzball to get Wakka's weapon stuff. He's the most useful damage dealer in the game with Attack Reels though, so it's worth it.

Lightning dodging can be frustrating. It seemed more difficult in the HD version, maybe due to a slight input delay.

The chocobo races aren't too bad. Fairly difficult, but not so tedious. If you're good at games it shouldn't take that long.

The real time sink is grinding out all of the sphere grids on everybody for the Sphere Master trophies. You're looking at adding another 40+ hours of pure grinding, less than half of which is needed to max your stats and fight the dark aeons.

Here's a breakdown of my recent playthrough.

43 hours to play the entirety of the main game, up to the final boss.
47 hours to capture 10 of every monster, and do all of the Celestial weapon quests including blitzball grinding.
47 hours to grind out the sphere grid, customize armor for the Dark Aeons and Penance, and beat all of the Dark Aeons, arena monsters, and Penance.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
33Y9ohD.jpg

The team went all the way back to Junon! No Turks in the bar this time! Instead its ordinary military men drinking on the clock!

Yw4Nt4k.jpg
lWhnZR5.jpg

Gotta take the time to visit paths previously unexplored and bump up the screen count! This is where Rufus rode up to on that trolley or whatever its called a while back. There seem to be more places beyond but they're off limits.

O69VoTt.jpg
tK3RJht.jpg

Always got time ta goof on Shinra dudes. What pulled the alarm an generally got in the way of their training lol. He also met back up with a guy he'd unintentionally messed with. Sorry dude!

stn37TS.jpg

Over at the other bar we find Rudes drinking buddies missing him. I'd kinda like ta know how the near silent Rude parties. Does alcohol loosen his lips?

nbsYUtH.jpg
WMb0Qp8.jpg

In other findings, our marching buddies are still practicing "their" special move an hoping ta use it in battle someday. Also the elevator may cost 10 gil to ride up, but its free to go down! Hahahaha! We'll never pay! All in all this random revisit to Junon proved worthwhile!

1x1acX1.jpg

Oh ya, the other reason for coming back overseas. WAR! The enemy numbers may be increasing but they still fall to the same strategy! The rewards 5 Potions... by which they really mean 5 Hi-Potions.

L0sTdQn.jpg
CiCjYmP.jpg

Okay okays we're really ready ta go this time! After a long climb down our mischievous crew are for some reason compelled to break open rocks?

k64M7my.jpg

Rocks which lead to battles!! These dudes here can give ya the Death Sentence enemy skill! They can also be killed with healing cause they're undead! Haven't seen that mechanic in a good long while!

GmkY0ZE.jpg

One of the rocks opens the way forward. Some of the baddies here are ghosts that were so angry they refused ta die properly. Crazy huh? Maybe not! Cause the party fought ghost-ghosts way back in the Train Graveyard an even stole their Ghost Hands! And saw the ghosts of the tutorial guys in Junon! Returning to the Lifestream upon deaths clearly not automated!

S6MUYTV.jpg
7K82mNd.jpg

Careful not to run on this gooey stuff cause it'll send ya sliding into spikes! I don't follow Bugenhagen here. This place is full of the Gi's undead so wouldn't that mean they did attack through here?

abMWp88.jpg
KAexT8m.jpg
4k2pU3E.jpg

Giant spiderweb means giant spiders!! These things are strong an their signature Stinger Bomb move can do devastating damage! By summoning the power of Mr. Dolphin, This puts 'em in their place!

NdLFHsG.jpg

One of Cosmo Canyons warriors tore ass through this cave beating the crap outta Gi dudes. Which means this was where they staged their attack from! Bugen I get that you're old but please try ta not be senile.

DM0WT4a.jpg
UquYTuV.jpg

I'll tell ya what this is: one of the goofiest jumpscares of all time lol!

uRtiaP1.jpg

And the beginning of a boss fight! Gi Nattak can be kinda an annoying battle. It can steal MP, possess & burn you with fire, and had a hefty amount of HP. Its also undead so that X-Potion ya found a room back? One shots it. If ya wanna save that, Cure 2 does high damage to! I take back my stance of not needing Cure anymore now that we got White Wind, as it does still have its uses!

NLeBh5H.jpg
h96Sup2.jpg
Vgspm7U.jpg

All them hinty hints were leading up to this pretty darn obvious reveal! FF XIII's dad was a good an brave warrior who protected and still keeps watch over his people even after being turned to stone!

atupUaX.jpg
qipWg3D.jpg

Now Bugens all like "dude continue on the journey, everythings gonna end anyway even if Sephiroth gets his butt kicked, but if ya could slow down the process that'd be pretty sweet. oh and I'm 130 years old btw".

KGg93SL.jpg
eNMoFrK.jpg

FF XIII is so pumped up with pride right now that he's like "heck yeah, I'll save the world for your sake gramps!" to which his petrified dad sheds tears of joy from hearing!

hCcSZLC.jpg
TFVP95d.jpg
J6HCqE9.jpg

The groups all ready ta pack up an hit the road sans one travelling companion. Losing a party member? Not happening! Bugen welcomes 'em back any time they get stuck on their journey to maybe provide some helpful advice!

GaypqHU.jpg

To celebrate FF XIII sticking with the party they return to the battlefield and claim 5 more "Potions"!

qwQBVQZ.jpg
Q0alYTs.jpg

Heading further west from Cosmo Canyon across another shallow river another werid sea creature is encountered! And it seems like we can go no further cause there isn't anymore shallow water! Ack!

cuxz5yc.jpg
aU0eD3H.jpg

Hmm... nopes! Buggy can't climb mountains! Gonna have ta settle for heading into this town an seeing what clues to progression can be found there.

PDaSAFy.jpg
fMEvzoo.jpg

Nibelheim...? This I know you're shocked but you were there. Ya lived through the great fire. But ya, somethings totally amiss here.

yGMwoNK.jpg
tBT3P41.jpg

Truly this is yet another mystery unfolding before our very eyes!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
LFGdUYc.jpg

An this is just how it is. The townspeople all think What and friends are full of crap.

XPxik8j.jpg
55Uee1w.jpg

An the reason for that is right here in notes on the desk in This's bedroom, or I guess what used to be her bedroom. Actors, clones, coverups, a whole town rebuilt down to the smallest detail? This is stupid even by Hojo standards!

VwG2J0P.jpg

Just what're these guys up to anyway? What calls 'em men in black capes and they keep blabbering on about Sephiroth. There's a whole bunch of 'em in town with five having tattoos numbered 4, 5, 6, 11, and 12. Dunno if the other four of them have number tattoos but it seems likely. We met a guy with a 2 tattoo way back in Sector 5 and Dio spoke of one with 1 tattoo. So this accounts for all but one of 'em, unless there are more than 12? Could there be a XIII and up...?

yuZyvxp.jpg
uDmX0Fm.jpg

While the mystery of the town was solved in seconds theres still more ta see an do here, specifically in the mansion! There's a puzzle afoot to find a safe combination!

v1DejUA.jpg
4qClkKV.jpg
ZYnHeBD.jpg

"The lid of the box with the most oxygen."
"Behind the Ivory's short of tea and ray."
"The creek in the floor near the chair on the second floor... then to the left five steps, up nine steps, left two steps, and up six steps."
Sweet! Buts thats only 3 of the 4 numbers we need! Where could the missing number be?

EgyuRPN.jpg
XpetvQD.jpg

Lets review the clue sheet again and... whaaaaaat? You can scroll past the third clue!! Have all the dialogue boxes that're larger than they needed ta be an full of blank spots been intentional misdirections leading up to this trickery???

z2OqYrl.jpg
Ze5kFAh.jpg

btw unlike 5 years ago, the mansions now filled with monsters. Monsters ya don't wanna fight. Especially these pumpkin-headed bastards. Sure by now ya have the gear to protect against some of their worst status effects but its just not worth it. Every baddie here sucks ta fight. There is an enemy skill to be gotten here but just getting the baddie to use it is an annoying wait so we'll get back to that later. Now lets move past all that an open the safe!

f87F2xY.jpg
yU2PWZ1.jpg
E0dnJGo.jpg

How'd that get in there?! Lost Number can be a toughie if ya haven't been grinding or collecting enemy skills. It hits hard and when about half its health is gone it'll lose its physical side if ya last hit it with magic or the opposite! Usually I brute force it with physical attacks so this time I let loose with magic first and physical second. No matter what, we got this. Cause Look is here and she can make us invincible for a good number of turns! Piece of cake! The rewards are FF XIII's ultimate limit break, the Odin summon materia, and the key to the basement!

Jc5Y3Ex.jpg
bKqIe6y.jpg

This place is creepy as always but somethings changed. These things can be inspected. "C project"? I'll guess that stands for Clone given what we learned earlier. Specimen A and B makes sense, alphabetical order an all. But whats "codeZ" and "codeC" stand for o.o? Same project, organized specimens, different codenames? Seems they were planning an escape, wonder how that went?

2mOSOLt.jpg
cdrhkCE.jpg

Oh an Sephiroths here. He talks about having a reunion to which What says he doesn't even know what a reunion is. Then Sephiroth spews some gibberish and says "if ya wanna know more, I'm heading north past Mt. Nibel. btw, think fast nerd!" as he beans What with a materia to the head then flies off. All in all this whole scene is ridculous in many ways!

roM9Rh3.jpg
IuzIrZM.jpg

xvPqkh2.jpg
d5Ma5ZJ.jpg

Man, what an asshole. Whatevs, lets do some book learnin'! The specimens escape was a success an they travelled across nearly a whole continent all the way near to Midgar before Shinra caught up with 'em. Their tale ends sadly however as Z is killed and C is left for dead ;.;

btw all of the above? Optional! As soon as ya enter Nibelheim you can simply exit right out the back and move on to Mt. Nibel & beyond. Don't gotta find out about clones, meet Sephiroth, nothin'!

t4Ehsfz.jpg

The parties gotta retread old ground an the buggy can't come with 'em. Farewell for now!

6We7wH3.jpg
w7Jnb0M.jpg

Its Mt. Nibel again, about the same as it was. A couple treasure chests can be found now, What is no longer Level 1, but more importantly we have Mr Meows who continues ta kick ass by summoning a phoenix with his Slots limit break! Thats Sephiroth tier damage right there!

c18ksjo.jpg
E7O2I6H.jpg

The bridge doesn't bust this time around which gives us another nice place for a photo along with access to this pipe filled place!

FNOPInS.jpg

Remember when Sephiroth killed a dragon? Now the party can to, only with much more style! Manipulating it to attack itself while stealing its really good armlet!

RhiTBWN.jpg
FDx4olm.jpg

At the bottom of this new place is an exit to the south and a boss guarding an exit to the east. If ya go south an jump down, hooray! You have to backtrack through the whole flashback route to the reactor! Some new baddies here, and a couple of treasures to grab so it could be worth the revisiting?

etG6aGG.jpg
4V7SFbF.jpg

Stop. Witness the face of a superior party member that knows what the fuck they're doing! On the very first usage of Odin, Mr Meows rolls its rare alternate 1 hit kill variation!

XrJjNDb.jpg
FPv0fEX.jpg
H4dpGJi.jpg

And then, at the boss? Rolls those slots to summon regular Odin free of charge. Materia Keeper isn't as tough as the previous boss could be. Although it is one of the times ya don't wanna use Beta since it heals offa fire magic. It can also use Cure 2 on itself which can make the battle drag. Poisoning it helps! After awhile it'll use Trine, an enemy skill which the party got for free in this instance because they happened to be invincible! Ha!

JlLnCsA.jpg
Mg7r9s4.jpg
pGsYqqN.jpg

With that fight over its off to new places! So long reused town & dungeon! So long buggy! Hello big old space rocket!

sphinx

the piano man
Have you ever played FFX at all?

Never, this is my first time, I received it from a friend as a birthday present a while ago, he said it meant a lot to him and wanted me to experience it. Back in the day I was obssessed with the Gamecube and wasn't willing to give other hardware a chance so now is the time.

So here my impressions so far.

.- It definitely looks and feels like a very early game in the PS2's life, if almost made me feel like it was a PS1 game but was moved to PS2 the last minute. by 2004/2005 games looked way better than this. No controlled camera and how it behaves is sooo Resident Evil 1/2 on PS1, playing this is a very retro experience to me. This is not a downside or negative point, but rather a reflection upon how time flies by... it feels like a couple of years ago I was playing my Gamecube and this was the standard, truth is, that was 14 years ago... damn.

.- I LOVE that this feels like the Square Enix in its golden era, it feels so distinctively japanese, the dialogues are sometimes weird, the outfits, feels like the kind of stuff that non-japanese would find awkward but the japanese RPG fanbase digs. I think that SE lost that along the way starting with FFXIII, seems like they were trying to hard to appeal to the west by doing characters that look cool, edgy, and badass. Here characters are more cute or charming.

.- Storywise, seems like it will be a very very dark story, just before I arrived at
Kilika, Sin nearly destroys the place and Yuna has to send the souls of the dead bodies to the Farlands.... it was just exactly as Tidus explained " that was horrifying, and I don't wanna look at that again".
Every time Lulu opens her mouth is either to say something rude or to explain something terrible, gotta admit I pay more attention to her lines. At this point in the story I am thrilled, I want to find out how exactly Tidus ended up so far in the future and what's Yuna's role in all of this, she seems to know more than everyone else in that regard. She somehow knows there is a connection between Spira and Zanarkand, but I gotta play more to see how that turns out, looking forward to it!

.- I arrived just at Luca so I assume I am still very early in the game, yesterday I learned how to play blitzball. looking forward to that too. I am using the official guide for this game, so I think I will do well in terms of missables

Question:

is there a way to mess up the sphere grid or should I just fill it up as I go without giving it much thought? there are empty nodes that I can fill up with something else but I have to "move" back to them..seems very inefficient. Is that how I should go? is there any kind of spheres that remain rare through the game that I should save for special moves?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
.- It definitely looks and feels like a very early game in the PS2's life, if almost made me feel like it was a PS1 game but was moved to PS2 the last minute. by 2004/2005 games looked way better than this. No controlled camera and how it behaves is sooo Resident Evil 1/2 on PS1, playing this is a very retro experience to me. This is not a downside or negative point, but rather a reflection upon how time flies by... it feels like a couple of years ago I was playing my Gamecube and this was the standard, truth is, that was 14 years ago... damn.
I played FFX for the first time 3 years ago an never felt nothing like that. It looked nice to me! Super nice if you're comparing it to other early PS2 rpgs. Maaaybe it coulda worked on a Dreamycast, but PS1/Saturn? Not feeling like it had much if any roots in that era.

is there a way to mess up the sphere grid or should I just fill it up as I go without giving it much thought? there are empty nodes that I can fill up with something else but I have to "move" back to them..seems very inefficient. Is that how I should go? is there any kind of spheres that remain rare through the game that I should save for special moves?
I'm far from an expert so I just went about filling in the stuff that looked good and got by okay enough up until the final boss (but thats something else entirely). Theres almost surely efficient ways ta go about doing it however an I'd bet there are spoilerless guides for it out there.

sphinx

the piano man
is the Blitzball game broken??? I am on my first game againts the Luca goers

I carefully read the instructions but I am never able to break through anything or anyone, I am supposed to breakthrough less powerful enemies in order to then be able to pass the ball.

that never happens, the most powerful guy just always take the ball away no matter what.

I carefully read the instructions but I am never able to break through anything or anyone, I am supposed to breakthrough less powerful enemies in order to then be able to pass the ball.

that never happens, the most powerful guy just always take the ball away no matter what.

It's difficult, though not impossible, to win that match. Don't worry about it.

sphinx

the piano man
It's difficult, though not impossible, to win that match. Don't worry about it.

I try to avoid encounters by pressing square to open up the menu and either pass or shoot

what does the game do? pause MY character, bring on the whole opponent team and place them all in front of me to nullify whatever I was trying to do.

am I too slow or bad or what's the deal?

I try to avoid encounters by pressing square to open up the menu and either pass or shoot

what does the game do? pause MY character, bring on the whole opponent team and place them all in front of me to nullify whatever I was trying to do.

am I too slow or bad or what's the deal?

The Aurochs have vastly inferior stats compared to those of Luca's; this is by design. Once you can recruit free agents and customize your team, then you can reliably win

I'm thinking about continuing on from my 2 yr old playthrough of Final Fantasy 1 to see if I can get any further from where I left off. I had gotten to a castle that was filled with mummies and other sorts of really hard enemies. I was getting crushed, and I realized that, outside of potions, I have no way of healing. I only have a Black Mage. Starting to wonder if I'll be unable to finish the game unless I have a White Mage on the team.

sphinx

the piano man
out of curiosity, is FFX considered a short-ish game by today standards (main quest only, no minigames or sidequests)?

I have the official guide and the part that covers the main game is rather thin.

My last final fantasy I played with guide was Type-0, the guide was twice as thick and that isn't a long game, at all.

The Aurochs have vastly inferior stats compared to those of Luca's; this is by design. Once you can recruit free agents and customize your team, then you can reliably win

after several tries, (more than it should have been) I managed to get a win, was 0-0 the whole match then in overtime I scored one ith Wakka and the game ended there...

I get it that we aren't meant to win that particular match but the lucas and specially the sports commentators are such assholes that I decided I wanted to see them win.

jb1234

out of curiosity, is FFX considered a short-ish game by today standards (main quest only, no minigames or sidequests)?

HLTB lists the main game average as being 49 hours. Some people will take longer than that, some shorter, depending on how they play it. It's definitely not a short game.

(I think I was 40-45 hours but it's hard to remember.)

Matski

Neo Member

The game has an element of RNG to stats that can make it frustrating. I can't remember exactly which one's are most effective in which situation but switching formations when the Goers have possession to crowd out their player on the ball should increase the chance of you winnng the ball back quickly.

My general strategy while in possession is to quickly and pass the ball around between the Auroch's five outfield players as much as possible while denying the possibility of possession to the Goers. This should to ramp up the Auroch's experience at halftime and minimise the amount of experience the Goers get, leveling the playing field. You'll want to make sure no more than a single oppossition player crowds your controlled character while they carry the ball. If a second opponent approaches, pass or break past the first opponent before they get too close.

With a minute of the first half to go, if I feel I'll have gained enough experience I'll pass the ball to Jassu. I use him to drag Abus out of position on the edge of the lowerside of the pitch, bypass him and then lure Balgerda too so that Tidus has a clean shot on goal after passing to him. Tidus should score if he's standing next to the goal but even if he doesn't there should be so little time left that the Goers won't have much of an opportunity to use the possession they have.

With your outfield players leveled up and Tidus armed with the Jecht Shot, it should be easier in the second half.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I finshed V and VI early this year on GBA and now I finally begun IX on steam.

I've always struggled to get really into any FF game past VI, so let's see how this goes!

Arthea

I started my FF4 remake replay today, it should go better than 3, still not really looking forward to playing this game two more times. It also will be last times I replay this game, I like it but I feel like I've played it too many times already.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
LQNUviY.jpg
FPTMJI9.jpg

This town starts off showing What's lack of imagination or knowledge or both! He does however have good ideas every now and then. Checking the inns record books could lead to clues! But it doesn't. In fact no one in this towns seen any black cape dudes.

Dn52jCV.jpg

About alls they do talk about is the Captain and Shinra's abandoned space program. In fact everyone in town apparently used ta be a mechanic for Shinra.

GzYYAdo.jpg
zCa0LGV.jpg
cfxrQUB.jpg

There's this plane parked in someones backyard which What takes an interest in but Mr Meows plz. Stealing? No one said or even considered such a thing! Anyways Rufus is coming to town real soon so the party really oughta go speak with the Captain about borrowing, not stealing, his plane.

8oIN83Y.jpg

So the rocket is... not back in Fort Condor. Whoops, my mistake. There was another battle to win with the reward being a Super Ball? Did we seriously wage war for a kids toy?

DrrEqBE.jpg
H8Y9CQU.jpg

The party is all kinds of lost now so they revisit the Golden Saucer, pickup a lifetime pass, and see if the low-tech fortune telling machine can help. FF XIII sums up my thoughts on that fortune!

4VrcSVn.jpg

Since we're here, there was one part of this place we didn't exactly get a chance ta check out... the Battle Square! Dio houses a mini-museum of weird stuff here, but it feels like somethings missing. The main attraction! The centerpiece of the showroom! Its empty! Why would ya even setup a stand there if you're not gonna fill it??

DlcHbHH.jpg
pdSyeJE.jpg

THE BRAVE DO NOT FEAR THE GRAVE. Nor do they lose to early game baddies. Seriously what kind of chumpy contest is Dio running here?

1zDtScC.jpg
4Jd3t0F.jpg

Some nice rewards ta be had at least. Picked up Enemy Lure and Pre-Emptive materia! And for impressing this one person, a nifty pair of Sprint Shoes.

uMMqcgw.jpg

On the way back to Rocket Town, even more weird baddies are encounted! An hey, that new materias already putting in good work!

nimPMaJ.jpg
jThb2VK.jpg

Sure enough the rocket we're looking for is here and is accessible to all! The Captain we've been hearing so much about is just inside its main hall!

HwEL6rb.jpg
ucXVVHi.jpg

Goddamn T is totally against lending out his airplane but he is hype for Rufus's visit. Placing the revival of his hopes and dreams on the new dude in charge!

6jLyMYQ.jpg
4yWFjpj.jpg
QX76HkX.jpg

What else is there ta say other than - thanks for the insightful observation Mr Meows! Shera says he's always like that and its all her fault.

aBIVIj2.jpg
yh5P4mT.jpg

Uh, but from what I can tell here, he's always been this way? She's workin' her butt of to ensure the oxygen tanks are in good working order an comes along calling her slow and overly cautious! Then he sets off all triumphant-like to go be the first dude in space. Jerk!

AMLQmJJ.jpg
fwg0ZwR.jpg
VKhQb3n.jpg

Just 3 minutes 'til launch but Shera's still at it! If she can ensure the safety of the mission she doesn't mind dying horribly. Thats some real messed up dedication.

quvlpZ1.jpg
yD4rJ3Y.jpg

Wait half a year or have blood on your hands. Think the choice is pretty cut an dry.

w5uz6gA.jpg
AsYyxUP.jpg

Seeee? Goddamn T makes the right call an aborts the launch. Rockets weren't meant to land like that so its alil tilted but still all good right?

bHN86J0.jpg

Back in the present, Palmer shows up outta the blue with zero news. Only a craving for lard filled tea! Wait, Palmers not in Midgar either? Only bigshot left unaccounted for now is Reeve. Can totally expect him ta show up soon.

7QpmZAL.jpg
LMZtn5H.jpg
aHU23hO.jpg

Rufus, bro. Ya have an air force at your disposal. Why do you need to jack somebody elses sweet ride?! How did you even get here and well after What and company at that?! Meanwhile Shera encourages the party to go "talk" with Palmer who's trying ta steal the plane! Talk eh?

JWqlRIa.jpg
Yr1Ywe8.jpg
SnrGBXU.jpg

When your opponents an old man who tosses out childish taunts can ya even take the fight seriously? Nooo ways. Just sit back an let the wackyness unfold!

ECpDHtq.jpg
bSdf62c.jpg
pBqVmXO.jpg

Despite being unmanned, the plane takes off an flies around all over the place! Goddamn T manages to hop aboard mid-flight while soldiers start unloading on the plane!

jhfzUvw.jpg
0t18B8Q.jpg

Pffff. That splash dun look anywhere near as big as advertised.

453gE6J.jpg
h1f5BcW.jpg

The Tiny Bronco won't fly no more so instead of taking to the skies, the party will instead become men of the sea! Goddamn T included. He's gonna join the fight cause why the hell not! He's got the details on where Rufus is heading so now all we've gotta do is figure out where that place is!

rJ53IPb.jpg

Lots more of the world just opened up so lets see where all this boatplane can take us!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
myOVorW.jpg

Upon acquiring a new vehicle the first thing ta do is go check on our previous one obviously! The buggys still in working order but its kinda stuck here cause the partys to dumb ta man two vehicles at once! Anyhow lets see whats up in Rocket Town!

221ANO9.jpg

He mad? He mad. According to one of the townsfolk, Rufus has apparently rushed back to Midgar. Now the question is: how? If he has the means to get all the way back to Midgar then why in the heck did he need the Tiny Bronco?

afjWeTI.jpg
zv6BeRt.jpg

Shera's none to concerned over Goddamn T leaving, bet she's happy ta finally get a break from all his badgering! Also I think the old codger who spends all day looking at the rocket has finally gone looney...

b38OEI6.jpg

Now we're looking for a temple an not to sure where ta find it right? Bugenhagen once said to come visit him if we needed his knowledge, so the party does that to no avail. Thanks for nothing!

tAnpdkt.jpg

This nice scenic shortcut between the western continent leads out nearby the Golden Saucer and within view of that lone home near Gongaga.

kt0fCSP.jpg
m9pwPIL.jpg

An hey, its open! The dude that lives here is a weapon smith and former owner of the Keystone, an item which opens the Temple of the Ancients! Seems like Dio strong-armed him into selling it however. He's heard some legend about some not so friendly sounding magic being hidden in the temple o.o;

3CrWCRU.jpg

But on to business! As a weapon maker he needs good materials and that mythril from the old man in the cave will do the trick! Trade him that an go open the small box upstairs to recieve Looks ultimate limit break! That's two... no, three actually since Mr Meows Slots is the end of his limit road. We must be getting near to the end of the game huh? btw ya can sleep in this guys bed free of charge! This is the second such revisitable free "inn"!

HbiYaDR.jpg

The Golden Saucer is a lead but I wanna sail around more and... fight another Fort Condor battle! Like, Shinra really should give up on this place already. Always gonna be there just in time to take 'em on and win!

zV5jLVR.jpg
LCO3nFC.jpg
C1RaHiI.jpg

Following the waters past Fort Condor leads to this big ol' temple-like place we saw from afar a long while back. It looks mysterious an the music is pretty out there compared to other tracks in the game. But it looks like What can't do anything here at the moment.

6JvRrwV.jpg
F9c6QhW.jpg

Disappointment keeps adding up as the party finds a new town only ta realize its inaccessible! They decide to run around in circles for a couple of hours and take out their frustration on baddies! You has something special in store...

WoMPfgE.jpg
t7BKkIy.jpg

He locks on an calls down lasers from space!! Wow, what a move!! O.O

MUd8Yhy.jpg

Odin joins in on the slaughter, one-shotting things again. We sure this is the rare variation? 4 uses, 4 steel-bladed swords.

UkJKYCZ.jpg
w0EzYNg.jpg

Check it out! Our first mastered materia, Seal! The first of many to come! The Exit materia we got has come some ways. Instead of using its Escape magic to run from battle we can now use Remove to kick enemies out! To the void with you!!

DfGcz30.jpg
HaJX9h6.jpg
hVXh9BC.jpg

Should really have a look at Look's ultimate limit break. Truly no expense was spared in ensuring its description fits within the text box! In addition to selling flowers she's apparently also a rainmaker and summoner of angels.

Oe3N733.jpg
tBGwC8o.jpg

Having had enough fighting, the party sails back to that island west of Rocket Town real quick ta take the enemy skill Death Force from giant turtles on the beach, and Magic Hammer from weeds in the tiny bit of grass this desolate island seems to have. Could explore this place but its so brown and ugly and empty so why bother?

kXSl75E.jpg
er7gJg0.jpg

Besides theres money to be made! 1.4 million gil for a mastered All materia?! We're so set for life in terms of money ya? Um and just ignore that this transaction is being made through a wall >.>;

FBAj8Ry.jpg

There's a big old snow covered continent to the north which we could visit but thats exploration for later. Already done alot of wandering so I'd say its time ta go confront Dio!

3QTXs3U.jpg
Txv0G7W.jpg

The Keystone's here but isn't for rent or lending. Instead Dio wants What to show him his moves! Challenge. Accepted. And exceeded! The monsters here were much more up to date this time around but What was able to win all 8 matches with little effort!

vTicnpN.jpg

Dio's so impressed that he throws in a couple of extra prizes with the Keystone, a nice protect vest and choco feather accessories! The party got what they came for so its time ta set out for the temple!

TfBq3AQ.jpg

Or so they'd thought. Having the only way in/out of the place seems like a huge safety hazard to me. They could dump people down into the desert prison but thats not a very good prospect either! In any case our good pal Mr Meows has an in with the staff here and can get 'em a free nights stay at the ghost hotel!

gLnfNEW.jpg
AMoAkgq.jpg
hSvFTAZ.jpg

Its as good a time as any ta catch the new recruits up on the situation and team goals. They're all aiming for Sephiroths head cause he's after the Promised Land and some sorta Black Materia. And... This? I'm with ya on that one. This black cape stuffs been nonsense since it was first uttered.

VsA6jT4.jpg
QdwpjQ6.jpg

On the subject of those however, its time to address those strange tattoo'd guys. FF XIII included. Hojo gave him that numbered tattoo and Look suspects that Hojo was involved with all the others as well. Those guys having any connection to Sephiroth is up in the air though.

tsWhg2w.jpg

That's right FF XIII. All eyes are on you. Perhaps you've already gone mad and begun betraying us hmm?? Or was that traitor plot point dropped? Seems like it might've been a one-off thing since no ones acted suspicious or distrustful of one another since it was first brought up way back when. Heck, come to think of it... that's a purely optional scene. I think this whole betrayal business is a hot load of nothing!

eCtW1Qw.jpg
U4Yx1YQ.jpg

Either way This is forcefully concerned for FF XIII. Almost seems like she's projecting her worry onto him. I think Goddamn T has the right idea here. Time for some sleep! Everyone heads for their rooms an just as What is about to start taking it easy, somebody comes knocking. Could it be the traitor? A spooky ghost? Tune in next time ta find out!!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
2J2rScf.jpg
FgUJMon.jpg
khCfIu2.jpg

Hey!! It's You! I honestly didn't know who it'd be. Well it looks like he's restless tonight an wants ta do some walking and practically forces What to go along!

EbUaZM6.jpg
4saQgWN.jpg

All the attractions are free tonight an it seems Event Square has a show going on this time around! That we won't get to see. -.-

lmf17Pb.jpg
VkXeMjP.jpg

Getting super mixed messages from You. If ya wanna chat in private why wouldn't it just be the two of ya?

Y05L16r.jpg
3uSlF7N.jpg

Yeeeaaahhhh. This is going about as well as expected.

93xaPCj.jpg
FdXTUEN.jpg

The heck is he even kicking up a fuss for? He wanted to walk, then he wanted to talk! And who's "one or the other"??

CcrBmLA.jpg
bI8hRuM.jpg

P1Hbp5I.jpg
VOxlzK1.jpg

You would've rather seen the fireworks with one of the girls. Giving all the guys the cold shoulder! Ya know, its rare we get to see the characters up close like this. Its neat ta see how expressive they can be!

p4rzvL7.jpg
TSE6c4G.jpg

oH7Tfc1.jpg
qFeAP0l.jpg

Dude... huh? I think he just misses Marlene. Remember her? Haven't seen her since before the assault on Shinra HQ and she was last brought up way back when we met Mr Meows and got thrown into the desert prison.

yd8Aaoh.jpg
qRUzWcN.jpg

Yup he misses her alright! An the fact that he's here with What instead of Marlene gets him so mad he starts firing away x_x;

tKnZJ8e.jpg
j8V3YW9.jpg

That whole experience tired You out so he decides its time ta head back to the hotel. No time for that though, cause Mr Meows is spotted running off with the Keystone!

Iln7Yc1.jpg
19euA1B.jpg
WByLjtv.jpg

Mr Meows really know how ta give 'em the run around! Wonder what the staff and other visitors are thinking about this fortune telling bot being chased after?

3CEsfK7.jpg
5ZBy7A9.jpg

Ohhh noooooo! There was a spy all along and it was Mr Meows?! But he's such a great member of the party...

LGlTfbu.jpg
PFt89d9.jpg

He insists they continue travelling together as if nothing ever happened and that killing him won't do any good since Mr Meows is just a robot being controlled by someone back in Midgar. Then tries ta give some sobby "but I'm not really your enemy" speech which isn't winning anyone over.

SkmU3bh.jpg
oCBd9iX.jpg
luxlE23.jpg

He's taken lil Marlene hostage?! Mr Meows claims he didn't wanna resort to something like that but how can ya even believe him at this point? They're stuck with him all the same.

ArXka3U.jpg

The next morning the tram is fixed up and so its time to head for the Temple of the Ancients even though Shinra will have gotten there first. With that in mind, why not visit Fort Condor and fight another battle?

orDiUCj.jpg

Just outside the temples entrance is our missing number 9 tattoo guy. Seems like a complete set to me unless there is indeed more then 12/13. He mutters "black materia" and then ascends to the heavens? Dunno what thats about.

H39Ch0j.jpg

And right insides a very injured looking Tseng! He says something about the Promised Land not being what Sephiroth is seeking. And that he's had bad luck ever since Look got away back in Midgar. Tseng gives the Keystone back to What, but before doing anything with it What has to check on her.

aSPYOSb.jpg
iBGqbDY.jpg

She's crying and with good reason! Having a member of the Turks be one of the few people ta know you for so long and so well must suck!

VBd4szF.jpg

Once she's good to go again What places the Keystone on the altar which allows the group to no-clip through the floor and end up in...

Mk1MHAd.jpg

Oh its you. Perspective Hell. We meet again!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
7vB4zvj.jpg
OBMl1Qj.jpg

It may be perspective hell but this place isn't anywhere near as intimidating at it looks! Theres just two paths, one towards items and progress and the other towards items and... this strange fellow. Once again we have another case of people not returning to the Lifestream! These ancients may have forgotten how to talk, but they still know the value of money! This one runs a shop, lets you rest for free, and save your game!

hCl1Llk.jpg

On the progress path we can come across a Lucky Plus materia! Its actually Luck Plus, just a harmless lil typo. I wanna be lucky so that gets equipped to someone right away!

9Bq8kAl.jpg
zEgl5TR.jpg
qBBRUrW.jpg

The next room is another mini-challenge! Duck under these giant an oddly shaped stones or get pushed back while taking some damage? I forget if they hurt or not cause I'm to good to get hit by 'em! They stop falling once ya get to the end of the room. Look starts hearing voices in her head again and drags everyone back to this mystical looking pool.

LCwt80d.jpg
jefRHn2.jpg

Which gives us a glimpse into the very recent past! Thanks to Mr Meows the Turks already scoped this place out and uh...

3ANBAPT.jpg

Hey Sephiroth? Could ya maybe stop photobombing here?

Pzg1Y5l.jpg
H0FJwXG.jpg

That's better! Sephiroth spells out his goal of becoming one with the Planet, whatever that even means or does.

XRGQpbM.jpg
rOVJRVq.jpg

Then he's all like "through death you'll become part of me" and slashes Tseng. Well jokes on hims since Tseng survived. Sephiroths good at slaying monsters but people, not so much. 0 for 3 in fact? Young What and This both survived against him and now Tseng has to! Not really doing a great job of buidling him up as a credible threat.

TZahPqw.jpg

What gets nice and assertive here saying whatever Sephiroths planning ends here and the he's taking him out! This reminds him that she's still here an has a grudge against the guy to! By the way another ancient person pops up at the end of this room offering free healing and saving... there aren't even any enemy encounters in this room.

yF5n1f3.jpg

?? The party isn't seeking knowledge, they're looking for Sephiroth to beat his ass! You can let this thing move on its own or do it yourself. I choose the latter cause I wanna be in control of this wheel of destiny! It links to 12 different rooms, the one we just came out of was #10. Expecting all of these ta be some kind of mini-challenge?

AK5bLAf.jpg
nbFuxYy.jpg

Think again! There are dead ends with treasure chests that have really good treasure (4, 5, 7, 8). Look gets a really strong new weapon that has a whopping 8 materia slots! Thats like double what everyone else has! Can't not mention the Ribbon which is the default best accessory in the game since it protects against like every status!

kayLzVX.jpg

Some have treasure chests with monsters in 'em (1, 3). These "8 eyes" are not only super gross looking but they can drain a truckload of HP or MP.

4IydsxU.jpg
9Y5PJeG.jpg

And theres also literal dead ends (2, 9, 11, 12). #12 is a weird one since the camera in it is like shaking/panning up an down.

YOqyFJr.jpg
e4AhfC2.jpg

If you're abit clumsy the "seconds hand" of the clock can trip ya up an send ya fallin'. You get tossed into a battle but then get to collect a really strong weapon for What, the Nail Bat! But the exit for this room leads back to the first temple room so ya gotta run all the way back to the clock room.

AOBw9jg.jpg

Alls left is the #6 door which is another mini-challenge! Hooray! Its super easy to solve if ya know the answers just to jump down to the middle level an enter the third passage. The door up in the middle unlocks and the ancient becomes yet another rest/save point. Why!? Disregarding optional treasure monster fights its only the first room of the temple that even had baddie encounters. I really dun understand the game design at work here.

WEU2ZdG.jpg
XbnygVZ.jpg

Its the mural room from before except in the present! An Sephiroth is still here! Or did he get here along with the party? Does him always being by their side mean he's been secretly stalking 'em? The guy is acting awfully strange an visually it looks kinda like his body & spirit aren't unified if that makes sense?

564IUoi.jpg
hs3uoBP.jpg

Full jrpg mode! Big villian wants to become a god! We're reached the inevitable! If the planets been severely injured it'll send loads of spirit energy towards the wound to heal itself, an he'll be right there ready an waiting ta suck it up.

QnI3Lpf.jpg

Hell yeah! This is already in her battle stance even! Gonna stop him right here an now! Lets do this thing!

1wWU4Pi.jpg

Um... What, your not unconscious. Its not the time for another one of your "wake up!" moments.

nrviN0M.jpg
LLhXpqw.jpg

YhfhVWv.jpg
GjX2BvK.jpg

Hoo boy... now he's going abit nutty an doing that body/spirit thing to. After some soul searching our great party leader pulls himself back together!

F6T4utG.jpg
2qz903z.jpg

Yes, nothing wrong here. Notta thing. Thanks Look. And This to for that matter. She reallllyyyy has nothing to say right about now? Such supportive friends!

rpgjBpM.jpg
Gw3p2jc.jpg
I07VRdH.jpg

Back to business I guess! Sephiroth wants ta use the Black Materia ta summon a presumably giant fuckoff rock from space ta smash into the planet. Great.

oR9Nc58.jpg

Theres a big old Red Dragon in the room btw. It has boss music but ehhh... its really just a stronger dragon. Like that one What solo'd in the arena. Lets just do that exact same thing again! Otherwise poisoning it and using stong non-fire magic does the trick!

TTp3dm2.jpg
TYTWqnb.jpg

After collecting the nice lil Bahamut materia on the floor the party tries to leave but finds the door locked again, so they head over to the temple model again and Look spells out Black Materia for 'em. Thanks Look! I always choose to shake it cause I'm easily amused.

ZzQyAgN.jpg
1AnrlTH.jpg

But enough making fun of Look cause her ability ta chat with ancient spirits comes in handy again! The temple itself is the Black Materia!

IKSu1w1.jpg
LIyvqyO.jpg

The puzzles can only be solved from within the temple itself so whoevers taking on this challenge is basically suiciding... and you know, destroying countless ancient historical artifacts, nevermind the site itself!

XxGxhEX.jpg
MDwWT3G.jpg
vOMl3yi.jpg

Since when does Sephiroth have flunkies and when did What learn about that? If one of our guys don't suicide, one of his will an we can't let that be! So how're we gonna do this? Drawing lots?

t4aNpFP.jpg

Mr Meows could your spying ass call back later? Kinda busy here.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I really like the text box colors you chose, ha.
Me to an its pretty much the color/style I've always gone with! If a games gonna offer me pink, ya better believe its going in there somewhere. For the purpose of this playthrough not having it be a solid color bites really hard for those rare times when it just makes sense ta edit a characters next line into the blank space of their previous box. Think I've only done that twice so far but doing it took about an hour per image x.x;

Other playthrough talk since I haven't gone into it until now!

Average...
- play session is about 1 hour
- screenshots taken per session around 155
- screenshots per post is about 44 currently
- time ta decide on images to be used an text to write up is close to 4 hours

An since the screenshots are being taken on PSP, I have the fun time of manually cropping 'em from 480x272 to 320x240! Is it any wonder I've been doing this since february yet am still on Disc 1? Think I've found a good groove in that past month or so that if I stick with it I'll finish the game before the years up!

I'm pretty certain my OPs screen count list hasn't missed anything yet. However the worst place in the game for trying to count screens hasn't shown its face. But it is drawing nearer...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Oh wow, all that cropping. That's intense. On the bright side, you're building an astonishing archive of memories with these screenshots. I've had fun following along here and there.

Jucksalbe

Banned
An since the screenshots are being taken on PSP, I have the fun time of manually cropping 'em from 480x272 to 320x240! Is it any wonder I've been doing this since february yet am still on Disc 1?

By "manually" you don't mean you're really doing it for each and every picture individually, do you? Use IrfanView (or whatever else works) for that.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh wow, all that cropping. That's intense. On the bright side, you're building an astonishing archive of memories with these screenshots. I've had fun following along here and there.
Its an archive of memories until the current image host starts randomly hating GAF and/or dies hehe. r.i.p. my FF 25th anniversary thread playthroughs of FF7, Ergheiz, Advent Children, Dirge of Cereberus, and Crisis Core! Not to mention my .hack 10th anniversary stuff... I mean I still have the files but who'd reupload 'em and go back and edit 5 year old forum posts >.>? Just gotta enjoy image heavy threads like this while ya can!

By "manually" you don't mean you're really doing it for each and every picture individually, do you? Use IrfanView (or whatever else works) for that.
LP technology has evolved... my way of doing things has not! So yup its manually for each image I choose ta use. Thats 1300+ so far, not the nearly 3000 on the cutting room floor! The cropping only takes seconds per picture. Real timesinks are trying ta prune 150+ images down to 40 while keeping things coherent and showing off all I want to showoff!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
ierqTuW.jpg
hghVC4A.jpg

The spy is trying ta sweet talk again. Let Shinra get their hands on this materia? No way. Not that theres any reason to believe they'd wanna smash a space rock into the world, its just outta principle.

Z6nJiNd.jpg

An there he goes back to holding a gun to their heads in a sense.

yTaroMs.jpg

No.

V8ZUGAR.jpg

No.

JIUVf4N.jpg

While that loop of No's repeats for several minutes What realizes that hey, Mr Meows will be dead and they'll be free to collect the Black Materia themselves so it won't be in Shinras hands! Plus he sounds so dang pumped up about it ya can't help but to root for him alil!

kzQcMNu.jpg

Time for all people not wanting to get crushed to leave the temple! The time lord is busted and so only the #12 room is opened up. Somethings creeping outta the far wall...

JtYARYy.jpg
6MiRiUM.jpg

There was a boss here but now its gone. Demons Gate has high defenses and hits real hard. Just gotta slug it out with this one. That newly acquired Bahamut summon will do a hefty amount of damage to it and Look's full heal+invincibility limit really helps with survival.

Pmcolmv.jpg
mN11hrN.jpg

Whys the M in "me" capitalized? And why is he "exited"? Whats Mr Meows gone and done with the Exit materia this time?!

Zi8IUJR.jpg

Hoo boy. With This standing right there things are gonna get awkward.

D2FMEfC.jpg
KFUjAlo.jpg
IlH9mSx.jpg

Yeah she's not taking it so well. Which no one else seems to notice! Mr Meows sure doesn't come off as wanting to be a bad guy. Just something he kinda fell into I guess?

X0keUCz.jpg
QG4wmWj.jpg

And so Mr Meows bounces off to meet a heroic end...

P2tYbI1.jpg
43MCfsF.jpg

With Looks words of encouragement an the fact that he's doing this for the greater good in mind he can go out with piece of mind. Rest easy, you hero!!

lO64qDU.jpg
gzQBZr4.jpg
Fk6tDwb.jpg

R.I.P....?

Ksg0HYx.jpg
Q1AhTfn.jpg

Sure enough the temples soon gone and in its place is the Black Materia. Sephiroth is SOL now! btw did anyone help evacuate Tseng? What about the spirits of the ancients and the guardian of time? All them monsters who'd made the place their home? Oops.

qCbKVW8.jpg
k6OiMkQ.jpg

Sephiroth not being an Ancient goes against what we've been told up til now but thats good news since it means the Promised Land is outta his reach!

jEqTCbP.jpg

Shit. He travelled the Lifestream gaining the wisdom of the Ancient and all who came after an now wants to create the future?

KxlIVyX.jpg

Now thats what I'm talking about! Even Looks gotten fired up! Gonna stop him right here an now! Lets do this thing!

N3kiptq.jpg

Um... What, your not unconscious this time either. Its not time for another one of your "wake up!" moments.

qtpvTg0.jpg
MVAqUie.jpg

Where'd this mini-What come from and whys our What just giving the Black Materia away?! Mr Meows sacrifice was in vain!

1vSqzGD.jpg
WTH4hlf.jpg

Thats a real good question What! The hells your problem?!

PG4rCPW.jpg

Mr Meows could your spying ass reintroduce yourself later? Kinda busy here. And yes, you did come at a bad time! Whats beating the crap outta Look while This descends into the pit to knock some sense into him. And you're just... how'd a new Mr Meows get here already anyway?! Is there a unit of them secretly following the party around????

UTORsOr.jpg
npZj9bU.jpg

After tasting This's fists of steel What is very much unconscious again and dreaming about Look! She tells him to take it easy so he doesn't breakdown again and says she'll handle Sephiroth! She talks big! C'mon Look! Show us your MAD SKILLZ!

z36W4p1.jpg
ZE31JRU.jpg

Just beyond this Sleeping Forest is the City of the Ancients an thats where she needs ta go to put an end to Sephiroths ambitions.

xChQvzN.jpg
K5sG8jJ.jpg

See ya later dream Look!

NICzUBH.jpg

Sephiroth?! No just no. Also get outta here this is Whats dream!

VPmfxD9.jpg
gRKSDMC.jpg

Waking up in a nice cozy bed in a town ya may not even have visited before now is one thing. Having a friend ask how you're doing and then blow you off is something else altogether. wtf You.

JOLpu11.jpg

Gone? That stuff with Look wasn't just a dream?!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ag052p9.jpg

Yeah for reals, What. Get up and go!

lTNh1qF.jpg

Gah! No time for self doubting! Look is in danger!

jkj7guT.jpg
uRa8S2G.jpg
pRT0JdP.jpg

Exactly! Ya gotta push on regardless of your screwups! Cause among other things revenge must be had!

tdu7K8q.jpg
7vGUh8n.jpg

Things ya don't wouldn't expect ta come from a protagonists mouth. Its now that This and You walk out. May as well continue the journey without What.

3iWIpiD.jpg
1BOIdhT.jpg

No such luck! For better or worse Whats gonna remain the party leader and keep up the fight! And yes this is Gongaga! If ya hadn't visited here earlier ya might be like ???. Another oddity is that leaving town exits ya to the world map this time instead of to the jungle screens outside town.

2ALBKR9.jpg

No Look here. She is indeed missing and she apparently left her materia behind. Its not safe ta travel without any of that!

Tkl5Xa2.jpg
5xDbpN1.jpg

Look is somewhere out there in the world but its not on the battlefield. The reward this time is so grand that it must be kept a secret? Or maybe he's whispering it. The world may never know.

TJirRkQ.jpg

Checked back with Bugenhagen but he has no advice to give. This fortune comes across as foreboding.

sfHkAFV.jpg
uZchTgr.jpg

We saw this landmass earlier but never bothered to explore it. This northern continent seems like the place to be! As soon as the party sets foot on land up there they get ambushed by squirrels and their GOLD MOUNTAIN attack! The more they use it the more money you'll get at the end of the battle!

ayEiwK8.jpg

Welcome to Bone Village which is ff7.jpg. Throw a bunch of unrelated objects next to one another an call it a consistent well thought out world! People here mention seeing Look pass through the village into the Sleeping Forest and that she used a Lunar Harp to get through the forest itself. How'd she get all the way up here well ahead of the rest of the party??

82DemL3.jpg

The heck is this?! Actual science!?

YnVNpLv.jpg

What no. Don't go re-enacting your dream! Going into the forest without the harp gets 'em nowhere an nothing aside from a new summon materia that bounces around the side edges of the screen.

LIzjGuC.jpg
8OphMTO.jpg
YiU3Tcs.jpg

Yay! A mini-game! Ya can have 'em dig up all sorts of minor treasure but for the sake of progression the Lunar Harps what you need! Be sure to accurately pick out the dig point or you'll be left with a empty chest in the morning!

QVgwMja.jpg

Thanks harp! No longer will the party be endlessly looped through this place. Now they can push on ahead!

thEAQYZ.jpg

Straight on to Fort Condor! Another mystery prize is earned from this victory!

rJIoESS.jpg
kdT8Jcr.jpg

This place past the forest comes with a nice view an not nice baddies! Hungry here will Mini a party member and then eat 'em. By which that means removing them from the fight entirely! Better have at least one member protected against that status incase ya run into a group of 2 or 3 of these!

XACcRYo.jpg
MYeubvv.jpg
Ddrs0hN.jpg

This is the Forgotten Capital. Or Forgotten City depending on which screen you're in. Its a real nice looking place an has some treasures scattered about. I really like the central buildings pretty fish statue! No baddies nor other people to be found though. Could Look really be here?

zKRnTOb.jpg
vh5Ypq2.jpg

So many nice things ta see~ but the sightseeing has ta stop at some point. Wherever this road leads to is away from Look. How Goddamn T knows this I haven't the slightest idea considering she hasn't been spotted anyplace else they've checked.

kdvoLax.jpg

Check it! Free place ta sleep #4! And just behind the last bed is a sneakily placed Enemy Skill materia!

4J1KUe4.jpg
68oOlY1.jpg

Whats soul and friends are telling him ta get a move on! It may not have been a full nights sleep but their HP/MP are restored so its all good!

x1K5kvp.jpg

Still can't go down that one unexplored road but its not as if they have to cause she's somewhere at that central building? But What notices an email from Fort Condor asking for him to bail them out again an clearly going all the way back theres the more important thing to do right now!

OuCRUS3.jpg

Thats another swiftly finished battle! The reward is once again unknown. But ya know. Been noticing my X-Potion pile going up. The reward for these past three wars was in fact 5 X-Potions apiece!

IMYThym.jpg
xNZDA6R.jpg
9HUGzu9.jpg

For whatever reason that fish statue is gone and access to a very dangerous stairway is opened up to 'em. Its a real lovely view but seriously no handrails? Fall from there and you're gonna go splat... unless you're What. He's survived worse drops!

uo2E4sp.jpg

An right over there is Look who appears to be chillin'. btw There's a save point in this room which doesn't fully do its job. Ya can't use the PHS here for some odd reason. Why ya so inconsistent game?

rbyAziR.jpg
SgDq1M2.jpg

Everyone starts to approach the altar but What tells 'em to hang back. Presumably to once again show off his really high jumps! Even so, This has anything to say? She was there when What went nuts and attacked Look. Really gonna let him go to her alone?

c8PNsSI.jpg
R8dXLr0.jpg

It'll be fine right? He's maybe got alil headache but the guys got it together, no worries!

wjRINTs.jpg

Hey Look, think fast!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The Palmer fight in Final Fantasy 7 was such a goofy, strange, and fun moment in the game.
Wanna refight Rufus? He's right outside the house you're in. C'mon ya know you want it. Psyche! Fight this ridiculous old guy instead!

What happens next? The suspense is killing me.
What happens next is an animation/continuity error!

Lindsay putting the k-pop thread to shame with the pics per post count.
I'm just carrying on what other peeps had rolling earlier in this threads heydays! Plus none of these are gifs so the pages will actually load hehe! I do feel shame at now being able to meet my max 40 pics or less goal >.<

Just leave this thread and don't come back. Everyone goes out for Ice Cream and they all live happily ever after. Nothing else happens!
Yeah its a lil know fact that Mr Meows in addition to being a fortune teller, gambler, and spy, is also a travelling ice cream vendor. He's got all kinds of flavors stored in the mog portion of his body like mako mint, diamond dust blueberry, and geostigma swirl!

Josh5890

I'm kicking around getting XII next week. I'm trying to hold off buying new games since I have a lot on the backlog, but the limited edition cover looks awesome. Eventually I want to get the game since I don't fèl like dragging out the ps2 but I don't think I'll play it anytime soon.

Top Bottom