• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Alucard

Banned
I'd be nice if they patch in a 2x/4x option for FFX PS4/Vita though. :/

Although my major problem will still be the Dodge 200 Lightning since that requires very quick, non-blinking reflexes.

I was never hardcore into 100% completing the games until the trophy/achievement system arrived into the modern systems. I only remember 100%ing FFVII, CV:SotN, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger.

I never did 100% FFXII (just went for the main story only) in the PS2 version but I was motivated enough to actually get the platinum version of The Zodiac Age version
big thanks to 2x/4x speed
!

Oh, and Zelda: A Link to the Past for me. Knew every secret and always got everything possible in that game.

Just bought World of Final Fantasy at a small price...

guess it's pointless to ask but...

does anybody still have a japanese voice DLC code that they didn't use in their day one edition? I would even pay a little to get it! (really stupid on square-enix part to not make it available later)

sotojuan

I wasn't grabbed by the hour of VI I played back in the day. I'll give it a fair shot eventually when I run out of Final Fantasies. For now though I'm about 10 hours into XII and really enjoying it.

I find XII weirdly relaxing, especially once your characters are strong. All I do is hunts and exploring the world at 2x with gambits on and do some story every now and then. It's a pretty chill game.

--

I personally quit the 100% trophies train once I got out of college. I'd rather spend the extra 20-30 hours playing a different game. Exceptions are games I really, really like though (I got the Plat for Persona 5 and FFVII).

I don't think I'll get all trophies for FFXII but I think I'll do a few more, particularly the "defeat hard enemy" ones.

Kinsei

Banned
I'd be nice if they patch in a 2x/4x option for FFX PS4/Vita though. :/

Although my major problem will still be the Dodge 200 Lightning since that requires very quick, non-blinking reflexes.

I was never hardcore into 100% completing the games until the trophy/achievement system arrived into the modern systems. I only remember 100%ing FFVII, CV:SotN, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger.

I never did 100% FFXII (just went for the main story only) in the PS2 version but I was motivated enough to actually get the platinum version of The Zodiac Age version
big thanks to 2x/4x speed
!

Dodging the lightning bolts is all about manipulating the bolts so they strike when you want them to strike. Once you start doing that it takes reaction time out of the equation.

Fou-Lu

Closest thing I have played to a Final Fantasy game this year was Vagrant Story, which I just completed. I am not much for replaying games, but it feels sad to not have some Final Fantasy to play, I really miss the days of only a few years between mainline title releases. I do still have a few spin-off and sequel titles I have never played I suppose like FFX-2, Lightning Returns, The After Years, Bravely Default if we count that.

Alucard

Banned
Closest thing I have played to a Final Fantasy game this year was Vagrant Story, which I just completed. I am not much for replaying games, but it feels sad to not have some Final Fantasy to play, I really miss the days of only a few years between mainline title releases. I do still have a few spin-off and sequel titles I have never played I suppose like FFX-2, Lightning Returns, The After Years, Bravely Default if we count that.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to check out Bravely Default one of these days.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
QCtPeIh.jpg

As a matter fact the party does know the sage! Chole here will take down notes about the info the sage has given thus far an retell 'em to ya in a way that much easier to understand!

7OWpSRk.jpg
pUVSDjC.jpg

Anyhow... Junon! Shinras on the move here as well finally. Do they lack the manpower to deploy troops to multiple locations at once? Like, their huge materia plan was set in motion awhile ago. Ah well... pipe? Didn't Shake mention something about one of those?

qUodBDt.jpg
9LMUjbT.jpg
DSCVI17.jpg

Ack! Its happening again! Priscilla please don't be a mini-This! And get that marriage idea outta your head to! Oh and please never NEVER say anything related to dilly dally... x_x

ysx2Q4j.jpg
2jojYJt.jpg

The way this guy talks its like he's not in Shinra or even Junon for that matter. He's totally secretly gotta be on the heroes side right? Speaking of friendly soldiers, it appears What's marching buddies are no longer cooped up in the changing room. Have they finally perfected their sweet victory pose and been sent off to battle?

0tvxlJF.jpg

They're missing something o.o? Better hold off on the reactor assault an get outta here then!

p2c1EfO.jpg

No big cannon? It was still there as What and the others entered Junon. Was it removed in the seconds it took ta ride the elevator up??

xwrsqEh.jpg

But ya know, the party is forgetting things of their own. Like Johnny! Ohh now he's getting worked up about Meteor? C'mon man keep a cool head!

BdKTM1W.jpg
Otc36iY.jpg

Yaaaayyy! The Golden Saucer has reopened! Got loads of money ta spend an all the time in the world to enjoy the attractions!

UsR4jKV.jpg

Dio says he came to the conclusion that given the state of the world people need a place like the Golden Saucer ta unwind, but more importantly in-app transactions!! Err wait thats not quite it. Gil for GP! If ya spot the person way up here ya can buy up to 100 GP per visit! Its shady yet harmless!

9ZxTL8h.jpg

Esters still got a jockey spot open for What but he has no chocobo. Whatever!

5o99v16.jpg
SONTBu7.jpg

No matter where ya go in this place its a whooooole lot emptier than before. Only true diehards are sticking it out!

Z4BdH24.jpg

Thats it? Thats the final fortune? Fair enough.

S8m6og7.jpg
wMVbpvI.jpg

Word in the arena is that a series of battles for only the strongest is gonna take place. Maybe thats what this guys training for? Over in the ghost hotel they aren't fearing the end of the world as you'd expect!

qDIyWFD.jpg

We know, the whole world knows, What'll get to it in time!

tAryXZq.jpg
xeXw0qy.jpg

In all the revisits that have gone on up til now they always kinda started from Kalm. But is anything going on at Midgar? Looks like we'll get to find out!

Q4RLVwJ.jpg
scRYWDL.jpg

However since we're up north and What is allowed to snowboard, unlike This and Goddamn T, they're gonna visit one of the free rest spots! The most out of the way one of them all! Going through the Great Glacier is allowed. Gaea's Cliff and Whirlwind Maze? Forever locked off.

R83uVuR.jpg

More sagely advice! Good chocobo can be found near Corel. Great ones somewhere west of Corel. And Carob Nuts are held by some enemy alil to the south of his place so likely near Bone Village!

bajg6np.jpg

Now is the time for the partys long awaited return to Midgar! The kids are still tending to the flowers after all this time so no point in chewing 'em out. Let 'em have it.

kk8Cvx8.jpg

The Reunion came & went but here's confirmation the sick guy in the pipe was one of 'em. Sorry guy... ;.;

rLPm19h.jpg
76ePQEe.jpg

No clue what either of the people in this house are on about. >_<??

0toPI65.jpg

Looks mom isn't home. Did Mr Meows kidnap her along with Marlene?! I'm sure she wouldn't mind the party using the place as free place to sleep # ...whatever number we're up to!

2dWP7oR.jpg
N6QHde5.jpg

That machine which makes a gun shoot at ya is where This's ultimate weapon can be found! Why? Heck if I know! Nor do I get why Shinras taken over the Honey Bee Inn!

755txQU.jpg
lN7KE17.jpg

Gotta be strong for the Battle Arena championships! What! Stay here in the gym and workout for awhile!

s1O7OcE.jpg
Hn1x1ju.jpg

For the low low price of 129,000 Gil What becomes the owner of a Sneak Glove! An accessory which greatly improves the success rate of Stealing! btw the golden shiny wire of hope is gone so this is the end of the Midgar revisit since we can't get back up to Shinra HQ. With all that stuff accomplished theres only one logical thing ta do from here boyee!

Lz23yxq.jpg

birds

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ff9 steam version does not punish you for clicking early on the jump rope minigame (as opposed to using the keyboard or controller early); as a result, you can just spam clicks quickly or use MouseKeys or AutoHotKey or any auto clicker to get the 1,000 jumps

SOLDIER

By any chance do we have a Discord that's focused on FF, or maybe RPGs in general?

All the FF games I'm juggling around has made me want to chat it up. Think there would be enough of a community interest?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By any chance do we have a Discord that's focused on FF, or maybe RPGs in general?

All the FF games I'm juggling around has made me want to chat it up. Think there would be enough of a community interest?

I hope someone makes one!

And I hope it doesn't turn into an FF vs FF chat.

Aleh

Currently replaying FF8 with my friend. I hate the mechanical boss that chases you in Dollet so much.
But at least this time I have a better understanding of the junctioning system!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm near the end of Bevelle and I'm... 19 hours in the game.

I completed FFX around 50 hours when I was a kid, now the game seems very fast. Feels like I can complete the game + get all the Aeons at 30 hours.

Alucard

Banned
The four bonus shrines added to Final Fantasy I on the Dawn of Souls compilation are utter bullshit. Random encounters every three or four seconds, and it sucks because I can one-shot kill most regular enemies at this point but still have to get dragged into battles every few seconds anyway. Some of the puzzles are stupid and illogical too. Like in one they drop you into a confusing world map where you have to know that first you need to talk to one guy on an island and then find a palm tree so you can move onto the next section...but the guy never mentions a palm tree or anything! If you go to the palm tree first out of curiosity NOTHING happens! You HAVE TO talk to the lone island NPC first even though he gives you fuck all in terms of guidance. Just awful.

The only draw is getting some decent equipment and seeing some classic bosses like Rubicante from FFIV showing up in FFI. Otherwise, not sure I feel compelled to finish them just to see some fan service boss sprites. I'm at the end and ready to enter the last dungeon.

...but will probably do the bonus dungeons anyway because of curiosity. :-/ Or I'll read about them and see if they're worth it.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm near the end of Bevelle and I'm... 19 hours in the game.

I completed FFX around 50 hours when I was a kid, now the game seems very fast. Feels like I can complete the game + get all the Aeons at 30 hours.

I am just before the final area/boss grinding for the grid and other stuff and my first impression stands:

This game is short by today's standards. It's is the right length, though. I actually loved it, I wished more games were like this.

nowadays there's so much useless padding.

It's okay to have incorrect opinions, so no worries!

I really enjoyed FFX when I first played it. Wonder how it holds up. I remember loving the strategy involved in the battle system since you were able to see the order of turns and could plan your attacks and magic accordingly.

To be fair, if I were to expand on my opinion, I certainly would put the battle system at the top as the best thing about the game. No point in going on about why I dislike it since we're in a thread to celebrate the series and I really only posted to illustrate the point hah but yea, the combat and in relation the sphere system are good in FFX :)

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just got into the Chocobo Ruins in FFX-2. I thought I messed up on raising my chocobos for a while since I just caught 4 chocobos with max level 5 caps then immediately leveled them. All the guides make it sound like you need to send out the same chocobos from levels 1 through 5. It doesn't matter though. You just need 4 level 5s as your runners, and at any point during the game, have dispatched 3 chocobos of the same level and had them all return, for all 5 levels. It can be in any order. I sent my 5s, then did 1-4, and the dungeon unlocked after my 4s returned.

Trying to learn Supernova from Ultima Weapon here. Only got him to use it once and it wiped me even with Mighty Guard up. Surprising since he's pretty weak otherwise. I put on a bunch of Magic Defense accessories to see if that helps. If not, I'll come back later I guess.

demu

Platinum'd FFXV last year, platinum'd FFVII couple of weeks ago and now I've bought X/X2 HD, because for 10€ I just had to. But the platinum trophies are kinda scary in those games. Don't know if I can make it. Wish me luck.

I've just learned there is no x4 speed on PS4. Fuuuck.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
g628pqK.jpg
hhBqdqI.jpg

Now we could just mate Sisbo and Brobo right away but why not put 'em ta use first? Feeding 'em various Greens ups their stats an makes 'em suitable for racing! 3 wins in a given rank means they move up to the next!

ih2lLlQ.jpg
9m2J042.jpg

localization.jpg

Haven't gone ta town on this games translation issues lately but these 2 screens are a stark reminder of 'em! Almost all of the Greens/Nuts are misspelled!

MzgpUSv.jpg

Now that they're racing stars lets hook 'em up!

Nrf3ASe.jpg
nNTXQH7.jpg

Non-yellow chocobos!! Now its not just the competing jockeys that have 'em! Blue chocobo are good at going through rivers right? But in the water/space sections of the race courses they slowdown. Yet in the uphill portion they don't. Meanwhile green chocobos are good at mountain climbing but the uphill parts slow 'em down while the water/space parts don't. Weird~

aaemcSz.jpg

If ya mate Blue & Green you can get one which has BOTH of their abilities! But theres a cooldown time (aka go battle monsters) between mating and being mature enough to mate!

2O3mq77.jpg
KZvo27A.jpg

So lets do just that! An in the process showoff FF XIII's ultimate limit break! Sure looks nice!

63YO1r4.jpg

Course fighting battles also gives the sage more time to remember stuff! One that can cross oceans?!

NbdyHiY.jpg
cWkqTeo.jpg

Now before trading up for a better model, what can Blubo do? Walk in shallow water allowing access to a cave nearby Mideel! Its here ya pick up the Quadra Magic materia! Link it with a green materia to cast a spall 4 times in a row. Thats overkill!

eMYKITl.jpg
BH1PTYp.jpg

Grebo can run up mountains which means it can get to this cave near Wutai! Inside is the Mime materia! It lets one party member mimic the previous ones move. Got 1 Ultima materia but wanna cast it again? Mime it! Does not apply to limit breaks.

5MeNUNp.jpg

...but wait! There's more! Ya know that lake around the middle of the western continent? One with a waterfall? Those are always suspicious in videogames! Grebo can scoot across the mountains isolating it an let ya go inside to find some lady?

QETNpQg.jpg
ON4RPNg.jpg

Nibelheim again? Fine, fine. The lady is interested not in the well dressed man but in the fellow scientist. "If she's happy then... I don't mind." *coughbullshitcough*

RcY22ph.jpg
3ilGC8q.jpg

Thats kinda dodging the question of "why experiment on humans!?".

4MY3vVF.jpg
1KrDfZm.jpg
X18IaEy.jpg

Afterwards the lady collapses an presumably the well dressed man goes to get help and in return gets shot, straight up. Cold blooded. Then the scientist starts doing experiments on him o_O thats messed up!

hdHxbeY.jpg
HpUlzwW.jpg
ErbMb45.jpg

Lucrecia has been living here for ??? number of years wishing for death. Shame the Jenova cells in her kinda help resist that. Its terrible she never got ta hold her kid even once an pretty cold of Dracula to say he's dead even if it is technically kind of true!

PKrtu91.jpg

Hold up! Way back in Pt.22 while approaching Cosmo Canyon for the first time I saw this place that really stood out. An as ya can see, our bird buddy can get us here to!

4asQkRR.jpg
B4O5Ovw.jpg

The Ancient Forest has itself some gimmicks! Can't just run around to progress through it, ya gotta use a limited supply of bugs/frogs to create platforms and launchers! Also got the return of environmental hazards, last seen in... the Cave of the Gi?

ksXzlju.jpg
qSjOb0r.jpg

At one point ya can get shot up into the trees which enables ya to grab a very good and female-exclusive armor and the Typoon summon materia! Woosh!

zLtGTLS.jpg

At the forests end the party reached a cave which housed the end of their materia grinding nightmare! Kinda. The Apocalypse sword may only have 3 slots for materia but they are triple growth slots!!

PS96y3Q.jpg

The forests monsters may not have been anything worth mentioning but battles progress time so they were fought! Its not just sage advice or chocobos that require time progression but the waterfall cave as well! Lucrecia took off an left behind Dracula's ultimate weapon and limit break! Both of which are kinda trash especially the gun... unless ya wanna grind out 10k+ kills with it.

GptEDwY.jpg
xc5S2Bi.jpg

Another visit to the Chocobo Sage revealed part of how an ocean bird is born. Gotta mate the river+mountain chocobo with a wonderful one found near the Icicle Inn. Feeding & racing comes first as usual! Wodude may just be a yellow-bo but its speed matches that of the blue & green ones! While Blabo exceeds them all! No issue getting either of them to Rank A!

7HEpNzZ.jpg
yzeL2qc.jpg

Blabo lives up to its heritage of crossing mountains and rivers to access this cave alil northwest of Costa Del Sol. If for some reason ya wanted a party member to surpass the 999 MP limit, the HP <-> MP materia will do the trick!

PYIo4nz.jpg

Also this lil bit of land ya can only access by bird is referred to as North Corel Area. I think it should be called Bird Area since you can fight some REALLY big ones here!

Ub4umdd.jpg

While passing more time to get chocobo info, Mr Meows grew so large the other party members got pushed outta the battle! Slots really is the best!

V0JdlZj.jpg
1vGIv0L.jpg

With those battles behind 'em the final key to the ocean chocobo puzzles been unlocked! Carob Nuts? No! For this one instance its a Zeio Nut thats needed! The forest in the tiny strip of islands to the east is where the Goblins holding 'em live. Can steal their nuts and get the enemy skill Goblin Punch from 'em!

cduYQR1.jpg

Now theres a problem. Only got 6 stables so we gotta say farewell to Sisbo and Brobo! They earned a retirement as their kids are grown up and they've left a living legacy!

FreCzd8.jpg
txu6zzW.jpg

And what a legacy it is! This majestic creature can go anywhere including a second island which doesn't show up on the map! And inside the cave here is...!!! Ahahahha. Hahaha. MWAHAHAHA!! The win button!! Eh? No I'm not drunk on power or anything >.>;

VLgkAIF.jpg

Thats not the only materia this bird called ULTROS (in all caps because anything else would be wrong) can get us! There are a couple of materia that can only be randomly won through racing! Not to mention some armor/accessory!

zDHD3VN.jpg
7P9k7us.jpg

Moving ULTROS up through the first three ranks is super easy. Enter race, set controller down, watch as he wins with no input needed from the jockey! Which is usually What, but if This or Goddamn T are in the party they may pop out and express interest in racing. Auto-pilot mode generally works for S Class to, despite the competition matching or exceeding his top speed. Stamina and hidden stats must make up the difference.

5w2ItG0.jpg

However... you'll be much more likely to encounter Joe in this rank. How did TEIOH break the stamina cap? I call foul and demand it be tested for performance enhancing drugs!

Y7P3PU7.jpg

They are beatable, but you'll need to take the reigns! Free victories against this pairs just not gonna happen!

4pABANd.jpg

An winning lots is what the party wants! After enough wins in S Class Ester'll give 'em a set of prizes! Counter Attack materia, Precious Watch, Cat's Bell, Sprint Shoes, and Chocobracelet. Thats almost all the rare race prizes ya can win!

SDjIuMz.jpg
drHgPbw.jpg

Theres still more reasons ta race on btw. The Enemy Away and Sneak Attack materia can only be gotten here. Plus some of the race prizes in this S rank can be traded for 300/500 GP! And you'll need a total of 3000 GP ta buy Gil Plus and Exp Plus materia over at the Wonder Square! How does a Gil Plus materia work anyway? If you wear it at work do you get a bigger paycheck?

PXdCWMW.jpg
5V0wLUg.jpg

By the way the partys still missing something. Mideel! Ohhh yikes. This place is a mess. The quake sure did mess it up bigtime. -_-;

4CLdd5H.jpg

The weapon store guys gone missing much to his wifes worry. Could he have passed through that fake door in the shop??

JR7XUMJ.jpg

Not alls doom & gloom however. The lady who'd been super stocking up on goods from the other shops now runs one herself! She's got all the items/weapon/materia the towns shops previously had and at a discount! Or so ya would hope but she's just kidding around about that part.

u1R57k5.jpg
JCc9sZD.jpg

Very unhappy, yep that sounds right. Pretty blunt but realistic of the doctor. The nurse reminds What he'd better be thankful for This watching over him! She also still offers a free rest service! With that all the free rest stops, an also all the world map locations have been identified! Gotta be super close to the end of the game now huh?

ULTROS!

ULTROS doing a good job it seems. Great job on raising him, Lindsay!

Platinum'd FFXV last year, platinum'd FFVII couple of weeks ago and now I've bought X/X2 HD, because for 10€ I just had to. But the platinum trophies are kinda scary in those games. Don't know if I can make it. Wish me luck.

I've just learned there is no x4 speed on PS4. Fuuuck.

Yeah the platinum of X and X-2 hard pretty hard, X-2 is much more harder than X. I love X but I'm not motivated enough to actually platinum it because it takes a lot of skill (speaking of the 200 lightning dodges).

SilverArrow20XX

On track for 100% in FFX-2.

At 95% currently and just have the next 80 floors of the Via Infinito to go and I should be at that final 96% checkpoint.

At level 99 and just got the Mascot dressphere. It seems super over powered if maxed. Currently in the Mi'ihen vermin dungeon mastering all jobs. This is gonna take some time.

SOLDIER

Just got a comment on my FFVII Remake Reaction video on YouTube about how "people will lose their shit again at Gamescom".

The user has no content but a bunch of Square-related videos on their playlist.

Wonder if I just got some insider info....not that I'm that gullible or anything, it's just that there's been zero hinting that FFVII would show up at Ganescom. FFXV was the one getting the big push with all sorts of unannounced updates.

ff9 steam version does not punish you for clicking early on the jump rope minigame (as opposed to using the keyboard or controller early); as a result, you can just spam clicks quickly or use MouseKeys or AutoHotKey or any auto clicker to get the 1,000 jumps

i did it back on ps1 without cheating

i didn't even know there was a price for 1000 i just had a really good run once

demu

Just got a comment on my FFVII Remake Reaction video on YouTube about how "people will lose their shit again at Gamescom".

The user has no content but a bunch of Square-related videos on their playlist.

Wonder if I just got some insider info....not that I'm that gullible or anything, it's just that there's been zero hinting that FFVII would show up at Ganescom. FFXV was the one getting the big push with all sorts of unannounced updates.
I think there is zero chance FFVII will even be whispered at Gamescom. One year ago something like your post would've gotten my hopes up, but I've learned my lesson.

SOLDIER

I think there is zero chance FFVII will even be whispered at Gamescom. One year ago something like your post would've gotten my hopes up, but I've learned my lesson.

I'm placing all my bets on PSX this year.

But a teaser at Gamescom that basically points everyone to tune into PSX would be a very Square-thing to do, so it's not impossible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i did it back on ps1 without cheating

i didn't even know there was a price for 1000 i just had a really good run once

I can't remember if I ever did it or not. I do remember it being the last minigame I had to do to 100% complete everything mentioned in the PlayOnline guide. It's actually not that difficult if you can get past the first few speed changes.

SilverArrow20XX

Was jumprope even challenging? I remember it seemed daunting with the big number and all, but wasn't it basically just rhythmically tapping X for several minutes with no change? I did it on my first try.

Edit: Just watched a video. It gets faster every 50 or so until 300, and then it stops changing. Seems to me the "cheat" would actually make it harder by tiring your thumb out.

Update: Oof. Just spent my entire day off grinding AP. Around 12 hours of almost uninterrupted, fast battles. On the last dresspheres for each girl. Then I just gotta do each of their special spheres. Gun Mage is still gonna take some work though. I only bothered learning Blue Bullet skills with Yuna so far, so I gotta go back to the Arena to get them all with the other girls. I got Annihilator with everybody, which is the only missable one in this version I hear.

sphinx

the piano man
FFX:

So I completed the Sphere Grid for Tidus and have all stats at 255 except magic, youtube helped a lot for grinding fortune/luck spheres but beating the earth eater to get the fortune spheres required for every character's grid doesn't sound like a lot of fun so I think I'll do it for my main 3 characters, beat Penance/Nemesis/everything, then clear them and then replace them all with MP spheres or something more manageable.

dark aeons are easier than I thought, even with just one maxed character, I've beaten half of them, Wakka isn't far behind too.

considering only thing left for me to do is beat some dark aeons and then Penance and Nemesis and then complete the grids, I have to say, when I first asked here some weeks ago how bad was the platinum for FFX I suspected people were overrating its difficulty and yeah,that is absolutely the case. I thought this game would last me until October... I think I'll be done in a week...

I am probably way more resilient than the average gamer for this kind of things though...

I am the weird guy that not only platinum'd FF-Type 0, I also completed it 100%... I got one of each weapon for every character, beat every mission tons of times to get unnecessary special items just to have a complete set, completed the story book which has hundreds of entries... it took me at least 3 months.

after that I really had to tell myself "you will stop with this "complete 100%" nonsensical obsession, ok? it's a waste of fucking time". these days I only stick to platinums and then I move on, no more complete lists of weapons or maxed-stats or sick, self-imposed random metrics

SilverArrow20XX

FFX:

So I completed the Sphere Grid for Tidus and have all stats at 255 except magic, youtube helped a lot for grinding fortune/luck spheres but beating the earth eater to get the fortune spheres required for every character's grid doesn't sound like a lot of fun so I think I'll do it for my main 3 characters, beat Penance/Nemesis/everything, then clear them and then replace them all with MP spheres or something more manageable.

dark aeons are easier than I thought, even with just one maxed character, I've beaten half of them, Wakka isn't far behind too.

considering only thing left for me to do is beat some dark aeons and then Penance and Nemesis and then complete the grids, I have to say, when I first asked here some weeks ago how bad was the platinum for FFX I suspected people were overrating its difficulty and yeah,that is absolutely the case. I thought this game would last me until October... I think I'll be done in a week...

I am probably way more resilient than the average gamer for this kind of things though...

I am the weird guy that not only platinum'd FF-Type 0, I also completed it 100%... I got one of each weapon for every character, beat every mission tons of times to get unnecessary special items just to have a complete set, completed the story book which has hundreds of entries... it took me at least 3 months.

after that I really had to tell myself "you will stop with this "complete 100%" nonsensical obsession, ok? it's a waste of fucking time". these days I only stick to platinums and then I move on, no more complete lists of weapons or maxed-stats or sick, self-imposed random metrics

Yeah. FFX only takes around 120 hours to platinum without speed options (I got Fortune spheres for everyone). Less than each of the XIII games took me. Much less than XII took without speed options. Still though. Those tens of hours added by the Sphere grid trophies and Blitzball are still pretty bad.

I also tend to go for 100% lol. Finished Type-0's book completely and mastering all the jobs in FFX-2. which is a good 15 hours of unnecessary grinding.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
8tkjUHP.jpg

All the training these dudes have been putting in is of no use as they turn and run off lol. They see What's back and want no part of that.

Zt5HBSm.jpg
8ThKhG5.jpg

Here's a couple of guys not to scared ta fight. Kinda. They really shouldn't have bothered cause they got wiped out.

sXx4iA9.jpg
hkScLSY.jpg

It wouldn't be a raid on Shinra stuff without their soldiers and weird machines! They may be upgraded but not at all a match for the team these days! Oh ya, an these Corvettes are newer versions of monsters from Shinra HQ! This seems like a more appropriate environment for 'em.

u9HnJ7P.jpg

And then theres the GHOST SHIP. Pretty spooky! And annoying cause like the Zolom it can up an kick party members straight outta the fight. Mime'ing Morph goes a long way to transforming it into a Guide Book.

e7Z9kdV.jpg
G3ycdT2.jpg

They're already underwater but theres a super fancy looking elevator which takes 'em down further still! How'd Shinra even build all this anyway?

dwPXCki.jpg
Ia5V0No.jpg

Submarine! And more updated baddies! Which You blows away in a hail of bullets with his Ungarmax limit!

o1xCy1y.jpg
kvNF67x.jpg

Now this is the imagery we fell in love with! Got the reactor theme playing, Shinra grunts, familiar yet new reactor type area, so nice!

PLsX9IG.jpg

These dudes may have new colors but they're still just quickly dealt with grunts in the end.

cf1lU58.jpg
ZuTs0YA.jpg

Despite all the time spent at the racetrack the huge materia down here still hasn't been shipped out yet. An thats with Reno overseeing things!

Sj0SlHI.jpg

Fighting in his place is the machine called Carry Armor! This bosses full party laser attack really hurts! So go ahead an use Magic Hammer twice and it won't be able ta use that move again! It may grab a party member or two causing damage it takes to also hurt them as well. But rather than letting it get away with that why not just call in the knights?

XPvI9wh.jpg
uZXLI1c.jpg
L8Wt0Vd.jpg

After being struck 13 times for 6k+ damage ya better believe thats gonna be one dead boss!!

0kzGHtj.jpg

Short as that fight was it gave Reno enough time ta get away so now the partys gotta hijack a sub for themselves! Theres always time ta collect treasure. Scimitar is tucked away in here which is the other triple growth gear in the game and Leviathan Scales? Quick! Back to Wutai!

gnuSzoA.jpg

Aww... guess that'll be for another time. -.-

5kVeeh0.jpg

They say things like this yet fight and get the deck mopped with 'em anyways. Will these guys ever learn?

POjP1yG.jpg
EH0bnMv.jpg

H-Hey! Its this bunch! Will some cruel fate force What ta take his marching buddies and instructor out?

iKFOuTl.jpg

Nopes! One thing I'll never do in the game is fight 'em!

rEOKBvE.jpg
WZUap9u.jpg

Oh, ah, right... our new & improved true What doesn't mix well with vehicles. Anyone else wanna drive?

fC0OGdw.jpg
OJIqjHL.jpg

It has ta be What because reasons. Hoo boy.

XXBJw1z.jpg
mUGcn3v.jpg

With attitudes like these I feel as though this trips not gonna be a safe one.

tX9As6w.jpg

Hold on a sec. Up makes ya go down and Down makes ya go up? How about... Nope. Nah. Nuh-uh. And... NO. That is the worst an dumbest an wrongest control decision of them all!! Dun care what anyone says. I do however like how its "Fire torpedo!" with an exclamation point!

VWrIneu.jpg
t2rTun8.jpg

Did anyone really expect What ta successfully pilot a submarine just from reading a handful of instructions? And having ta deal with dumb controls? Course not! But that means they're sunk x.x

QS9jKsU.jpg

How're they getting outta this one? Simple! Pull an action hero move! Just aim for the sky and pray!

kPAsKUl.jpg

What ends up on the recieving end of CPR and much tail slapping from Mr. Dolphin. But hey everyones in one piece right? Um, by the way where'd the hostages end up?

SqtrkWG.jpg

After that disaster he still wants a sub? This says the submarine docks guard should be lowered an that they could go there right now but You reminds 'em they're supposed ta head for the airport!

dtbC1VL.jpg

idk? Why're ya asking What?

fLgwSqH.jpg
Hz3janS.jpg

But yeah it did take off. Sure is one ugly plane btw.

z13BgpJ.jpg

The planes headed for Rocket Town to drop off the huge materia but aside from that its got another mission. What could "the stuff" be?

fA12UKo.jpg
zwXOiYQ.jpg

Thats a long ass time to wanna live for! FF XIII sure has some grand aspirations!

YSTsVd1.jpg
ar3hVXe.jpg

"ar'"? Is that a thing? Mr Meows just admits to being a blabber which is very forthcoming. Still, never trust your secrets with him!

nBc7Wci.jpg

Ya, nevermind about Rocket Town an go back to sleep.

BumRush

After finishing both XV and IX (replay) this year, my gaming time (and motivation to play games) has gone out of the window (new house, second baby, traveling for work). Definitely want to complete TZA and FFV this year still but it's not looking too good lol.

Alucard

Banned
I feel like an idiot. It took me twenty hours of Final Fantasy I to realize my monk deals the most damage when they're not carrying any weapons. I thought he was useless until I removed the nunchaku I had equipped and went from dealing 300-400 damage to 1100-1300 damage. LOL. Around level 62 at the moment. 66 is the max in FFI.

SilverArrow20XX

I feel like an idiot. It took me twenty hours of Final Fantasy I to realize my monk deals the most damage when they're not carrying any weapons. I thought he was useless until I removed the nunchaku I had equipped and went from dealing 300-400 damage to 1100-1300 damage. LOL. Around level 62 at the moment. 66 is the max in FFI.

It's 99 unless you're playing the NES version, where it was 50.

SilverArrow20XX

Oh crap, really? Playing the GBA version. I see two other complete files on the used cartridge I got with all characters at level 66.

66 is high enough to comfortably beat all the GBA bonus dungeons. Just a coincidence lol. I'm usually in the upper 60s at that point in the PSP version too just from not running from battles.

SilverArrow20XX

But the max HP doesn't seem to go past 999...

That is correct. At 99 everybody will be at 999 or very near it I think. My mages only have around 600 HP or so in the 60s if I recall. You also hit like a truck compared to the 60s. You can do like 2000-3000 damage against high level enemies with normal attacks. Chaos will die in 2 turns easy.

In the NES version, damage was lower and everything had less HP. Chaos had 2,000 HP instead of 20,000, and the damage cap was 999, though I never hit that. Don't think I ever hit 9999 in the remakes either. I remember getting the Masamune at level 50 and hitting for over 700 damage with it and freaking out though lol.

Any love for FF Dimensions? I got $15 sitting in my Google account to blow on a game.

Been waiting for it to come to something else but I've lost hope at this point. When it first came out, I was positive it would come to Wii Ware like FFIV:TAY did. Toyed around with Bluestacks to see if I could get it working on my PC with controller support but I got frustrated and gave up.

Alucard

Banned
Okay, did all four bonus dungeons in FF1 for the GBA and got the ultima weapon for my knight. Ready to head into the final dungeon. In total, the extra dungeons took me ten goddamn hours of gameplay. Kind of annoying. Again, the worst part is fighting one-shot kill weak enemies but still having to run into them every four seconds in these extra dungeons. Awful design IMO. :-/

23 hours sunk into the game at this point. Hope the final dungeon doesn't add more than two more hours at most to that!

CLBridges

I really have the urge to replay ff8, but don't wanna hook up my ps2. Thinking about buying a vita because I'm pretty sure I bought the ps classic version. I've started a new playthrough of ffxv but taking my time with it and finally gonna play the episodes.

Meowster

I've played this game enough to last a lifetime but my boyfriend said he wanted to play a game a few hours ago (he doesn't really play games that much) so I showed him Final Fantasy X and he seemed to have a fun time with it. I figured it is easy enough for a newcomer aside from a few fights in the mid-to-late game stretch. There's a whole bunch of stuff I never caught on before with the opening of the game.. some really poetic and thoughtful (if not too on-the-nose at times) parallelism and foreshadowing.

Top Bottom