• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the in-depth answer.

Most of that sounds pretty decent to me, outside of the "grinding for cash" thing and "high encounter rate" thing. The entry point is pretty high, which is why I've been deterred.

CorvoSol

Thanks for the in-depth answer.

Most of that sounds pretty decent to me, outside of the "grinding for cash" thing and "high encounter rate" thing. The entry point is pretty high, which is why I've been deterred.

Yeah, 20 bucks is kinda rough, and the grinding for cash and high encounter rate are just hallmarks of the team that worked on this (pretty sure it was made by the same team that did TAY). There is SOME similarity beyond the cosmetic to TAY. For instance, certain combinations of jobs/abilities triggers Fusion Abilities, kind of like a 1-man Band Tech. The game is, sadly, divided into chapters, but you can, to an extent, revisit any area you have previously been (so no missing summons). Some of the cast is good, like Alba, and some of it I almost feel is intentionally bad, like Nacht, who seems like an homage to FFs brooding heroes, or Sol, who is in turn an homage to the idiots.

The story itself is pretty straightforward, though. Evil empire, four fiends, get the crystal shards, etc.

It's a good game, but not exactly superb.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Tactics

Finished Chapter 3. Riovanes Castle is still one of the most hellish points in the game. In fact, aside from the Battle of Belias Tor and the All Monk Melee, Riovanes is probably the most challenging moment in the game for the average player. A word of note: Though Dark Knights curb stomp more or less everything in the game, a common mistake that players will make is in assuming that Riovanes, like all other points in the game, is a question of power. This is not the case, though: in Riovanes, the question is one of SPEED, not POWER. Ramza could definitely out-fight Wiegraf in a fight, but Wiegraf's speed let him move first, putting Ramza on the defensive, costing him the fight. Putting him as a Ninja, though, granted the upper hand in the fight. Likewise, changing Terra and Cecil into Ninjas allowed us to keep pace with Celia and Lettie, preventing them from ending the fight in the first turn.

In the end though, what really turned the tide was Agrias' Hallowed Bolt silencing Belias. Without Cyclops or Gigas to kill my party in a single turn, he was utterly defenseless, as Shirahadori disabled his hopes of hitting me, and his Demons went down in moments.

Riovanes is hell, and I somehow feel that, short of grinding, there's just no way to be overprepared for that sequence. Which is funny, because I DID grind, and still had trouble, till I switched to Ninjas.

Final Fantasy VIII

Finished the game, stats to follow in forthcoming update, as PSP has gone to sleep.

Anyway, I feel that FFVIII is the game FFXIII's defenders want it to be. It is the best a streamlined FF could hope to be. There are no chests, stats can be modified almost entirely at will, the focus is definitely more on story and presentation than gameplay, given the game's difficulty, and so on. Yet VIII, unlike XIII, manages to include an expansive world map for the player to explore, different methods of travel, chocobo minigames, the much beloved Triple Triad game, goodness knows how many sidequests, and be a competent game in general. I disagree fundamentally with what a recent thread said: the junction system is not crap. It is game breaking, yes, but it is not crap. It makes the game a fully customizeable experience, and it does things like allow the player to never have to grind, nor even fight random battles if they so decide.

Ultimecia's Castle, or Disc 4, is a nice place, too. It robs you of your powers and makes you fight Ultimecia's henchmen to get them back. It's a multiparty dungeon, which I hope I have established I like a lot at this point in our journey through the series. The music is nothing to write home about and some of the bosses can be a bitch, like the Red Giant, but on the whole it was an enjoyable challenge and wake up call (which you don't need for a boss as easy as Ultimecia.)

As to the story, let me say everything would be better if this game was about Laguna. Squall isn't the most moving nor likeable of protagonists in the series, especially not compared to his predecessor, Cloud (who, contrary to popular belief, is a pretty cool guy by game's end) and Zidane, who is just downright cool. That said, Squall DOES improve after a certain point on disc 3. Or rather, he endears himself after that point, because his tough guy, uncaring act FINALLY cracks. Rinoa is arguably less compelling a love interest than Rosa, but the sympathetic player may be tempted to care because Squall cares. There are some serious holes here and there, no doubt, but the game's plot holds together remarkably well compared to XIII's in spite of the holes.

As I said earlier, VIII is the worst of the PSX FFs, but being worst of the very best is no real scorn. VIII is a good game, and it should forever be remembered as an example of what this series was, and what made people love it so. It's a neat package and a quality product.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Thought about trying out some of the other FF games after the FFXII thread today and all the comparisons going on in there. Only ever play some of FF12, FF13, FF5, Tactics, and FF11. Haven't completed any of them @_@

Looking forward to giving the Four Job Fiesta another try at least.

CorvoSol

Thought about trying out some of the other FF games after the FFXII thread today and all the comparisons going on in there. Only ever play some of FF12, FF13, FF5, Tactics, and FF11. Haven't completed any of them @_@

Looking forward to giving the Four Job Fiesta another try at least.

You should totally give 6 and 9 a try. They're crowd favorites. 7 and 8 are excellent, and 4 is good depending on the version of it you play (PLAY THE DS VERSION). 1-3 aren't anything spectacular, especially if you've never played them, 10 is a base breaker.

agradine

The Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls release on the GBA is excellent. It makes FF1 a little too easy but also streamlines a lot of the more frustrating aspects of that game (mostly removing Vancian magic, less grinding). It fixes pretty much everything wrong with FF2's gameplay, removing exploits but also making certain stats easier to train, and giving the game a much better translation to boot.

I would argue FF8 is a larger basebreaker than FF10, but that may just be my bias talking (I personally regard FF10 as the best game in the series). That said, FF8 aside the series from FF6-FF10 are really quite accessible (if you can get past the graphical downgrade) and from there it really becomes a matter of how much you like the characters and the plot.

CorvoSol

The Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls release on the GBA is excellent. It makes FF1 a little too easy but also streamlines a lot of the more frustrating aspects of that game (mostly removing Vancian magic, less grinding). It fixes pretty much everything wrong with FF2's gameplay, removing exploits but also making certain stats easier to train, and giving the game a much better translation to boot.

I would argue FF8 is a larger basebreaker than FF10, but that may just be my bias talking (I personally regard FF10 as the best game in the series). That said, FF8 aside the series from FF6-FF10 are really quite accessible (if you can get past the graphical downgrade) and from there it really becomes a matter of how much you like the characters and the plot.

I feel 8 has managed to regain a lot of its prestige in the past decade, where 10, while rightfully lauded, has not. Regardless 10-12 and 1-5 are by no means bad, they're just not where I'd place the series' golden age high water mark.

Is FF4 DS worth playing? I just finished playing FF3 DS and it was a grindy bore. Battles everywhere, the jobs were simplistic, no story, no characters, graphics were pretty lame and the last dungeon was a pain in the ass. I had to grind up for about 5 hours to get my guys to be able to defeat the last boss. I think it would've been better to play the famicom version so you at least experience the game in the context of the time it was created. Though I've heard that game is broken as well with most jobs being useless, fleeing makes your guys basically get one shot by the enemies if you fail, etc. However, the DS version just feels like they put lipstick on a pig.

FF4 looks like it uses a similar engine. At least on that one you can have more than 3 enemies on the screen at once. Is it worth playing if you've already played through the SNES version of FF4 and know the story, characters, levels, etc. pretty well?

Heropon

Is FF4 DS worth playing? I just finished playing FF3 DS and it was a grindy bore. Battles everywhere, the jobs were simplistic, no story, no characters, graphics were pretty lame and the last dungeon was a pain in the ass. I had to grind up for about 5 hours to get my guys to be able to defeat the last boss. I think it would've been better to play the famicom version so you at least experience the game in the context of the time it was created. Though I've heard that game is broken as well with most jobs being useless, fleeing makes your guys basically get one shot by the enemies if you fail, etc. However, the DS version just feels like they put lipstick on a pig.

FF4 looks like it uses a similar engine. At least on that one you can have more than 3 enemies on the screen at once. Is it worth playing if you've already played through the SNES version of FF4 and know the story, characters, levels, etc. pretty well?

The Final Fantasy IV DS version is different enough to be worth playing, and in my opinion it's the best version from a gameplay standpoint. The augments give another dimension to the battles later in the game and the boss battles require different approaches apart from the war of attrition: A "counterattack" boss will require the use of a few powerful hits instead of having the physical attackers doing damage every turn or another one with overwhelming attacks will need to be dispatched as soon as possible without considering a defensive approach. Use of buffs and debuffs is encouraged and that's something I personally appreciate.

The only bad thing about the augments is that you need to waste some of them on temporary party members to get the best ones and it isn't said anywhere in the game. That's why I recommend playing it after the original game and use an augment guide to know when and how to get them so you don't have any problems.

In the story department, there are some added scenes and the script has been retranslated again, so it's also better in that regard. There are a few things missing from the GBA/PSP versions, but I see you have only played the SNES version, so I don't think you'll miss them.

CorvoSol

I consider 4DS to be the best version of FF4 because it has the Augment System, which means that, rather than get Yang, Edward, Palom, Porom and Cid after the Tower of Babil, you get abilities from different party members as the quest goes, allowing you to customize your party in some ways. For instance Cecil can be a Paladin with Darkness and Focus, or you can literally make Kain cry and so on. It really improves the game. Plus the voice acting isn't half bad, and the script ranges from obscenely overly fantasy (the Mysidian Legend) to downright excellent (everything Golbez says). There are a couple of extra scenes, including one which clarifies the nature of Golbez' being "mind controlled" a bit.

Jucksalbe

Banned
In preparation of the upcoming Final Symphony this weekend, I decided to resume my Final Fantasy VI playthrough I started "recently".
I really don't remember anything about this game. I didn't remember the you can choose scenarios at certain point(s?), and I especially didn't remember this game being so brutal (what with poisoning the whole castle). I'm now at the entrance to Phantom Forest. Almost feels like playing a brand new game. :)
I'm also doing rather poorly. I had to fight just about every boss fight twice today. Especially the ones that introduce you to new skills often only have very small windows to do it right.

CorvoSol

In preparation of the upcoming Final Symphony this weekend, I decided to resume my Final Fantasy VI playthrough I started "recently".
I really don't remember anything about this game. I didn't remember the you can choose scenarios at certain point(s?), and I especially didn't remember this game being so brutal (what with poisoning the whole castle). I'm now at the entrance to Phantom Forest. Almost feels like playing a brand new game. :)
I'm also doing rather poorly. I had to fight just about every boss fight twice today. Especially the ones that introduce you to new skills often only have very small windows to do it right.

Use Sabin's Aurabolt on everything on the Phantom Train and you'll be fine. Even if people tell you to Suplex the Train, you should prioritize the little kamehameha attack instead, 'cuz its super effective against ghosts. Also: Did you get the Genji Glove from Banon?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Had to look that up, seems I missed it. I'm not playing with a FAQ.
Do they ever tell you about other Blitz attacks? I think I only heard of one so far. Man, I really hate Blitz, it's just annoying.
But I did fine with Cyan's Quad Slam, almost immediately killed the train. I died once, though, from a monster-in-a-box.

Heropon

Had to look that up, seems I missed it. I'm not playing with a FAQ.
Do they ever tell you about other Blitz attacks? I think I only heard of one so far. Man, I really hate Blitz, it's just annoying.
But I did fine with Cyan's Quad Slam, almost immediately killed the train. I died once, though, from a monster-in-a-box.

I love Blitz. :(

Sabin learns blitzs by level up and you can see the button combinations in the Skill > Blitz menu. If you don't like the diagonal direction inputs there are secret ones for every Blitz except the first.

Playing with an analog stick works wonders for the more complicated ones!

OqgERTt.gif

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy VIII

FINAL STATS GOOOOO!:

Squall: LV. 76, 9999HP, STR240, VIT37, MAG86, SPR33, SPD103, LUK21, EVA21%, HIT255%
Rinoa: LV. 53, 7195HP, STR168, VIT128, MAG87, SPR141, SPD117, LUK19, EVA11%, HIT147%
Quistis: LV.24, 5231HP, STR227, VIT84, MAG54, SPR 87, SPD100, LUK16, EVA9%, HIT107%
Zell: LV.53, 9999HP, STR158, VIT25, MAG82, SPR93, SPD28, LUK85, EVA18%, HIT103%
Irvine: LV. 22, 1086HP, STR40, VIT 13, MAG119, SPR107, SPD23, LUK15, EVA1%, HIT115%
Selphie:LV.27, 4397HP, STR143, VIT83, MAG90, SPR17, SPD21, LUK39, EVA2%, HIT255%

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

So I'm in chapter 4, and I've finished through Ft. Besselat, which is one of the best parts of the entire game. Delita telling Ramza he'd not hesitate to kill him, and then shaking hands and being buddy-buddy with him is weird, but not entirely out of character for one of the most complex and also best written characters in the entire FF series. I've recruited Construct 8, Beowulf, Dragon Reis, and Balthier already, so all I need are Human Reis, Cloud Strife, and the Byblos and I'll have all the hidden characters. Meliadoul is the last special character I need, and she'll join in Limberry. I need to stop a minute and build up Luso, though, so that he can learn Ultima with Ramza when we get there. Ultima is one of the only "Blue Magic" spells in the game (the others being Firaja, Blizzaja, Thundaja and Zodiac.) and it is also pretty useless. Still, it's an interesting thing to have. A rare quirk is that there are actually two different Ultima spells which Ramza, Alma and Luso can learn. The one used by Celia and Lettie in Limberry, and the one used by Ultima, the Bloody Seraph. Of course since there is no post-game content in FFT, technically you can't save with Ultimara anyway. And, like Ultima, it isn't actually useful.

This is all largely due to the fact that magic is useless in FFT after chapter 1. Guns have better range and speed, and sword skills put out insane amounts of damage in a fraction of the time. Magic might have its place in obscure tactics for obscure and insanely difficult battles, but not against the common foe.

Final Fantasy IX

This is my first FF9 update and allow me to tell you that I just now finished Disc 1. Whether this means Disc 1 is shorter than in 7 and 8 (it definitely is shorter than in 7) or if I'm just breezing through the game, or both, I can't say. I have Quina, even took time to build up, and my game clock reads a mere 8 hours. I'll be using cheetz to get me Excalibur II because no way can I make it through 3 more discs in half the time it took me to do 1, plus I want to enjoy the game.

I find that Tetra Master is not as good a game as Triple Triad, and that cards are in fact less useful than in VIII. Or rather, less game-breaking. If you had the right cards in FFVIII you could be unstoppable. For instance, I refined one prior to fighting Ultimecia, had ten Holy Wars and took NO DAMAGE FOR THE ENTIRE FINAL BATTLE. There's no card refining in IX, though, so you have to make due.

I can't tell if battles are SLOW AS HELL or if VIII's were just unnaturally fast because I had Speed-J and No Enc all the time.

Meeting Kuja the first time is doubly hilarious because I don't think anybody refers to his gender. Well, I mean, Zidane and Freya say "guy" and "him" but Freya also used "him" in conjunction with Quina, sooooooo.

Trance system is fun, if only because it reminds me of Terra and her Trance and how goddamn broken she is when she uses it (both in FFVI and Dissidia.).

Chocobo Hot and Cold is harder than I remember, but worth it. I may still attempt to take a potshot at Ozma, I dunno. I gave up on trying Omega VIII not because of difficulty, but because I was just done with the game.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

So I'm in chapter 4, and I've finished through Ft. Besselat, which is one of the best parts of the entire game. Delita telling Ramza he'd not hesitate to kill him, and then shaking hands and being buddy-buddy with him is weird, but not entirely out of character for one of the most complex and also best written characters in the entire FF series.

Indeed, FFT's story is probably the only FF story I would call legitimately good.

It's a great tragedy.

CorvoSol

Indeed, FFT's story is probably the only FF story I would call legitimately good.

It's a great tragedy.

The real tragedy is that a series so lauded for its story telling has only ever produced 1 great story. Although I would say that the stories told from 6 to 10 weren't bad, when you remind yourself that they're stories for games. 6-10 was really the Golden Age of the series, though.

The real tragedy is that a series so lauded for its story telling has only ever produced 1 great story. Although I would say that the stories told from 6 to 10 weren't bad, when you remind yourself that they're stories for games. 6-10 was really the Golden Age of the series, though.

Yeah, but rather than called 6-10 good I call them entertaining. Not really strong narrative wise, but they kept you engaged and interested to see what happened next, something that Toriyama fails to do with me.

CorvoSol

Yeah, but rather than called 6-10 good I call them entertaining. Not really strong narrative wise, but they kept you engaged and interested to see what happened next, something that Toriyama fails to do with me.

One man's good is another's entertaining, I guess. Just a matter of classification.

What we all can agree on, though, is the Dork Age of Final Fantasy is XIII, and it is an era of shame and humiliation with no visible end on the horizon.

One man's good is another's entertaining, I guess. Just a matter of classification.

What we all can agree on, though, is the Dork Age of Final Fantasy is XIII, and it is an era of shame and humiliation with no visible end on the horizon.

It's always darkest before the dawn, don't forget the eternal mantra "PLEASE BE EXCITED."

Magnus

I can't wait for FFVI on my iPad. Preferably sans visual design change.

Ultimately, how are the iOS versions of FFV and Chrono Trigger? And for that matter, any other SNES Square iOS ports? (I think there's just Secret of Mana, right?)

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
It's been a while. Even longer than you might think, because I started this game on August 13th, 2012.

ibaJBLiGmXR17X.jpg

...yeah yeah whatever I WON YOU LOST GET OVER IT

ikwqPhKIlUL9x.jpg

Yay! Exactly twenty-five hours.

CorvoSol

It's always darkest before the dawn, don't forget the eternal mantra "PLEASE BE EXCITED."

My ability to even care for PBE is 0 these days. Honestly, part of me craves the moment it comes out, sucks, and we can all cease to give a damn about anything modern console Square puts out.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IX

So Zidane and company have left the continent. Quina's Eat ability is the most useless thing, because either the enemy has too much HP or it is dead, and with the pace battles move at in this game, ain't nobody got time to whittle things down.

I really like how FMVs in the PS1 era forced the team to communicate things without dialogue (cept in VII and IX's endings.). I feel it works a lot better than some later FMVs for some reason or another.

No real complaints, though, other than that eating and stealing are hard.

FFT

Finished Limberry, recruited Meliadoul. I could rocket straight to the end at this point, I mean, my entire team is strong enough that nobody can hurt them, but hey, why not do Midlight's Deep, too?

The War of the Lions adds a few extra battles, and there's one in Limberry and it is worth every cent. Fight is so good, because
it's against Argath

Byblos is the last character to recruit, meaning Boco can't fill the roster with a million eggs every time we have to make a road trip somewhere. In some ways, Balthier is as broken as Cid, if not more so. Barrage is pretty cheap.

coopolon

So I recently beat FFXIIi. I wrote this up for my own personal memory purpose, thought about making a LTTP thread but figured we'd had enough of those to FFXII so thougth I'd post it here instead just in case there's any conversation to be had.

I liked this game. I enjoyed programming my characters actions via the gambit system, then setting it to fast forward and watching it all play out as I accumulated wealth, experience, new loot, and new powers. I liked that occasionally the situation would change so then I would have to rethink the gambits, although this happened far too rarely for my liking. Really the only time it did happen was when I was in the second to last dungeon (tower) and I accidentally chose to sacrifice spells so then I had to completely rewrite all my gambits so that I was using items to cure conditions and heal. I guess they tried to do this more often with the limits like "no items in this battle" but that was always only for bosses where I was using gambits less anyway. So I wish there had been more entire levels with those restrictions. The criticism of course becomes I want more finely tuned gambits. Like if X AND Y THEN instead of just If X THEN. But it's great none the less.

I liked the mark system as a structure for side quests. I liked the idea of getting to go hunt down big bad monsters, kind of monster hunster ultra lite. The problem I have with it is it involves SOOO much travel. You have to go to a bullentin board (normally one in every city) to find the quest, then you have to go to the quest giver (sometimes in the same room as the bullentin board, more often in a completely different city) to get the quest, then you have to go find the monster (which often has special requirements limiting its appearance that are ambiguous), after killing the monster have to return to the quest giver to get your reward, and then every once in awhile have to return to the guild to get reward for leveling up in the guild. It's just all too much travel. And while they do provide two means of rapid transport: by airship (which is done via airports) or teleport crystal, it's still just too much walking. That in addition to having to decipher ambiguous instructions on how to get the monster to appear killed my interest and I gave up around level 5. I also didn't like how I never knew if I was the right level to start a hunt. I could choose to just go and see if it kills me, but isnce that required so much traveling, it also didn't work out.

The story was....eh. It wasn't "amnesiac androgynous teenager has to save the world." So that's something. It does have the androgynous teenager, but despite being the "main character" he'll really just along for the ride and plays no role in main story except as a means to provide the perspective of the common person in the world. There's really two story lines, a political one where one country has invaded and is oppressing another one. And a mythological one where the leader of said country is trying to eliminate the influence of the gods/become a god. The political one is interesting, but it's also the minor one while most of the emphasis is placed on the mythological one, which is boring and cliche. And while the androgynous teenager isn't the main character, neither is the most interesting two characters (Baalthier - Han Solo, or Basch - who comes from a country previously destroyed) Instead Princess Ashe is the real main character, and she's not at all interesting Really though none of the characters are ever developed outside of Ashe and Vaan, and both of them suck. You get hints of other characters pasts (
(Baaltheir is Cid, the mad scientist of Big East's son, Basch is from a previously conquered country and his brother got assimilated into the empire so brother vs brother).
but it's mostly just left at hints, which left me wanting more! So, the political stuff was good (alliances, rebellions, etc.) but mythological stuff sucked and ruined the political stuff.

Playing the international version was a mixed bag. The fast forward feature is godly. Ability to control guests is great too. But you have to pick a class at the very beginning, which is when you know nothing. And picking classes means picking what abilities will be available to you throughout the game. Unfortunately, I don't think the game has been retuned in keeping with not having all abilities. So I didn't have float, which meant I was always setting off traps unless I wanted to equip special boots. I didn't have any good high level black mages, which meant I always had trouble when bosses would go "physical immune" because I could do very little damage. Also, the license boards are very small, so about half way through the game I had unlocked all my licenses and nowhere to progress to. The complaint with the normal version is everyone has the same board so everyone becomes the same. I think that would actually work better if it's kind of like FFX where everyone has the same board, but you start in different places, and unless you grind like crazy, you don't have enough LP to unlock everything, so you still make choices, just not as restrictive as classes.

FFXII, like other FFs before it, has this crazy "let's hide the most powerful stuff in crazy ass hard to find places that you basically will never figure out without a FAQ." In their defense, none of it is necessary to beating or enjoying the game, but how is that stuff enjoyable at all? The zodiac spear is the most cited example, but there are plenty of others. Heck, even having to find hidden espers annoyed me. I refused to just look at a FAQ, so I came across a few of them but I'm pretty sure I missed most of them. I don't understand why anyone enjoys that, and it does taint the game because you'll come across things that don't make sense and then you'll wonder "well, is this one of those crazy things that only 100% completionists have to worry about or am I missing something important?"

I also wonder about the translation. None of it was egregiously bad like in FFX, but sometimes things would get mentioned that were never mentioned before and never get mentioned again and it makes me wonder if it's just awful writing or bad translation. Example is when you have to fly to the second to last dungeon it's mentioned that it's in Jagd, which I guess is bad, but it's okay because the next line is "I have a special crystal that allows you to bypass Jagd". Why the heck even tell me about Jagd if you're going to render it meaningless 2 seconds later? Also, there are three characters who you occasionally meet in a port town who seem to be important but only show up like twice. Did I miss something?

The music is boring. Nothing memorable. I can't even remember any tunes while I still whistle a few from FFX whose music I loved. But this is all subjective so who cares. Game is very pretty, especially in PCSX2.

The game is pretty easy. I know there are special hidden bosses which are super hard, but again, I don't want to use FAQs. I also thought boss battles were the least fun in the game, really I want more dungeons that make me want to go from ~level 50 (where I beat the game). And make me re-evaluate my gambits!

So really, in closing, loved the gambit system and combat(especially how it is something so new in JRPGs/FF), story could have been great but isn't, still has same old stupid FF tropes.

CorvoSol

FFXII's story falls apart when Venat/Giruvegan/The Occuria are introduced, I think. Because at that point it stops being a good Ivalice story and degenerates into lame ass FF God-Killin'.

FFD

Suffering some serious FF Fatigue and nowhere do I feel it more than here. FFD is a good game but good golly that encounter rate is stupid high. Sometimes I go literally 3 steps and I get attacked again. And since every enemy chips away at least 2-300 damage a hit, its an uphill fight through this game, I tells ya. It's both the best and the worst of Classic FF.

FF9

IX is a good game, but YEESH, battles are SO DAMN SLOW in this game. Like seriously, you'd think for a game that introduced the idea of shortened battle animations, things'd pick up, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, just slow as hell. And the Steal command is a horrible, shit option in all FFs because you cain't never steal. I seriously spend entire boss fights with Zidane, with Bandit equipped, trying to steal that 2nd or 3rd steal and can't get anything. Or regular fights. It's just wretched.

That said, I'm up to Madain Sari, and while I hate Eiko to pieces, the preceding segment was nice, what with Garnet and Zidane gettin' hitched, and Vivi and Quina, too. Between Vivi and Garnet, though, Madain Sari has been an incredibly depressing place. Mostly Vivi. Little dude brings the whole party down with his constant fear of impending death. Heavy stuff.

FFT

More or less done with the game now, I just need to speed through Midlight's Deep, collecting the treasures and Zodiac before going and shoving my sword down Ultima's throat. I could do it now, but since even now would be overkill, might as well go that extra mile.

Hugstable

Banned
Now this is a thread I can really get down with. Had a sudden urge to play some Final Fantasy after getting my iPad and playing FF4 iOS to completion. I am now making progress in both FF5 iOS and Final Fantasy X International Version. Before this I only had previous experience with beating FF 1, 6, 7, and 9. After I finish both FFV and FFX I'm probably going to give Dimensions a chance, and I'm gonna look into importing a copy of FFXII International.

I'm pretty new to GAF and it's pretty awesome to see that other people are playing through a lot of the Final Fantasy games at the same time that I decided to majorly binge on them. FFV is such an amazing game so far, even with the iOS port (I actually don't find the art style bad at all, and while it might not be as super charming as the original sprites, it's still a lot better than the RPG Maker quality term I hear thrown around so much at this game.) I just now started looking for the tablets so I'm pretty well into the game. This Four Job Fiesta also looks awesome since I heard that it was coming up soon, but I have no clue much about it. Should be done with my FFV game before that ever starts though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
You should still give the Four Job Fiesta a try. The restrictions make it a very different playthrough and FFV is certainly worth a replay.

Voror

I've actually decided recently to go ahead and replay the PSONE FF and War of the Lions, largely because I can't remember much of the former at all, which may be due to never really doing a 'proper' playthrough of any of them.

Will probably start with VII today. Then maybe VIII I guess, though I'm on the fence about possibly going straight to IX or WotL.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Tactics

After physically forcing myself to finish the rest of Midlight's Deep, I have at last finished the game. I'll post final stats later. You know, this playthrough is the first time I've ever actually noticed
the knife in Delita's hand when he stabs Ovelia.
It's such a deliciously messed up ending to the game. Ultima continues to be the biggest pushover in the history of forever, though. Because I ran through the game, I couldn't one shot her, but I've done it in the past.

Kinda burnin' out on FF at the moment, but I'm considering playing Type-0 again because I feel bad that no FAQs have been written for it, yet.

Final Fantasy Dimensions

So I got the Phoenix summon and now am back to GRINDING FOR MONEY FOR EQUIPMENT. I'd say to hell with it and forge ahead with the game, except the encounter rate and difficulty of random battles is so high that unless I invest in better equipment and the EXP gained by grinding for the gil to buy it, I can kiss ever getting anywhere in this game goodbye.

I will say that the writing remains good, though. Currently the Calcabrina doll is in the process of learning about life. It's tropic, but fairly well handled. The Phoenix summon provides for a fair lesson on death, as many of the birds are being murdered at the beginning of the dungeon, and there was a doll in a town for explaining to Calca what an unliving object in the shape of a person is. To be perfectly blunt, the robot's character development is being handled better than anyone in FFXIII.

Final Fantasy IX

Finished Disc 2. Gotta say, I'd forgotten how well they do establishing Kuja as a villain and
how moving Brahne's death was.
I especially liked that they handled the mixed feelings of that scene through Zidane:
"I hated Queen Brahne so much I was glad to see her die. But when I saw Dagger cry, I wanted to cry too, and didn't know what to feel."

How many more freaking times am I going to have to rerecruit Quina, though?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Final Fantasy Dimensions

So I got the Phoenix summon and now am back to GRINDING FOR MONEY FOR EQUIPMENT. I'd say to hell with it and forge ahead with the game, except the encounter rate and difficulty of random battles is so high that unless I invest in better equipment and the EXP gained by grinding for the gil to buy it, I can kiss ever getting anywhere in this game goodbye.
So... don't buy Final Fantasy Dimensions when I get my tablet back from repairs.
KuGsj.gif

Honestly, you make it sound like it's either poorly-structured, oddly-designed, or poorly-balanced.

CorvoSol

So... don't buy Final Fantasy Dimensions when I get my tablet back from repairs.
KuGsj.gif

Honestly, you make it sound like it's either poorly-structured, oddly-designed, or poorly-balanced.

I'd go for the third option there, except that I feel like it's intentionally done that way. People complain that Final Fantasy is too easy, so they made it hard. PLUS, this is the same team that did The After Years, and that game was stupid hard, too. I mean, its nothing you wouldn't an NES FF or DQ game, but there's something to be said about whether or not that's a good thing. Basically the game's flow is just as follows: Get to town-> build up for cash/xp till you have all the gear sold in town ->dungeons, story, and exploration ->new town.

It doesn't help that things do not carry over between the two parties. So if the Light Warriors JUST BOUGHT Cura, Fira, and found Ramuh and earned 200k gil, none of that will be with you when you switch over to the Dark Warriors. They will need to earn their own money, buy their own spells and swords, and outfit themselves independent of the other party.

On the one hand, yay, how realistic. On the other hand, even games like FF6 didn't do this when splitting up the party. If you got an iron sword in Sabin's story it'd be there in Locke's. It saved time, which isn't a thing here. I don't know if this is because chapters were originally separate files, like in TAY, or if its style or just the devs imposing one extra challenge or not.

It isn't a bad game, goodness knows compared to the entire whole of Square's mobile phone output it is hands down the best they're selling (no IAPs, no arbitrary waiting periods or social elements etc) but as much as it tries to be as polished as FF4-6, it isn't. From the clunky controls (which depend a bit on screen size for accuracy) to the staggered progression. Even so, you cannot fault it for not being true to the old model of FF games, even if it highlights the weak points of that model.

It's a good game, better than FFXIII by far, but it has its sins.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Tactics Final Stats:
Ramza:Dark Knight Lv53, HP481/MP48, BRV78, FTH70, MV5, JMP3, SPD9, ATK15, MAG8
Cidolfas:Sword Saint Lv55, HP518/MP97, BRV77, FTH65, MV5, JMP3, SPD10, ATK16, MAG9
Byblos: Byblos Lv49, HP378/MP66, BRV52, FTH61, MV3, JMP6, SPD8, ATK12, MAG12
Balthier: Sky Pirate Lv48, HP348/MP46, BRV78, FTH60, MV4, JMP3, SPD12, ATK7, MAG6
Melidaoul: Divine Knight Lv44, HP398/MP45, BRV67, FTH68, MV4, JMP3, SPD8, ATK9, MAG8
Cloud: Soldier Lv42, HP289/MP69, BRV70, FTH65, MV3, JMP3, SPD8, ATK9, MAG7
Cecil: Dark Knight Lv41, HP313/MP42, BRV45, FTH68, MV3, JMP6, SPD8, ATK13, MAG9
Agrias: Holy Knight Lv41, HP334/MP53, BRV71, FTH63, MV4, JMP3, SPD8, ATK11, MAG10
Rapha: Skyseer Lv39, HP320/MP145, BRV23, FTH69, MV3, JMP3, SPD11, ATK8, MAG9
Beowulf: Templar Lv39, HP370/MP89, BRV45, FTH65, MV4, JMP3, SPD8, ATK11, MAG9
Reis: Dragonkin Lv39, HP323/MP79, BRV62, FTH64, MV3, JMP3, SPD11, ATK9, MAG10
Terra: Dancer Lv38, HP184/MP25, BRV70, FTH45, MV6, JMP3, SPD8, ATK7, MAG10
Luso: Game Hunter Lv35, HP366/MP62, BRV67, FTH48, MV5, JMP3, SPD8, ATK9, MAG6
Mustadio: Engineer Lv33, HP287/MP35, BRV60, FTH62, MV4, JMP3, SPD9, ATK5, MAG5
Boco: Yellow Chocobo Lv32, HP182/MP16, BRV68, FTH48, MV6, JMP5, SPD8, ATK9, MAG23
Construct 8: Automaton Lv32, HP307/MP1, BRV70, FTH00, MV3, JMP3, SPD7, ATK16, MAG1
Luneth: Arithmetician Lv31, HP266/MP39, BRV63, FTH60, MV3, JMP3, SPD5, ATK4, MAG4
Ladd: Black Mage Lv31, HP281/MP48, BRV63, FTH60, MV4, JMP3, SPD9, ATK5, MAG12
Squall: Chemist Lv31, HP287/MP31, BRV45, FTH61, MV3, JMP3, SPD9, ATK6, MAG5
Yuna: Summoner Lv30, HP262/MP72, BRV56, FTH70, MV4, JMP3, SPD8, ATK2, MAG9
Bartz: Dragoon Lv30, HP360/MP20, BRV55, FTH53, MV4, JMP4, SPD7, ATK12, MAG3
Alicia: Monk Lv30, HP250/MP35, BRV61, FTH62, MV3, JMP4, SPD8, ATK8, MAG6
Lavian: Archer Lv30, HP303/MP28, BRV62, FTH61, MV3, JMP4, SPD9, ATK7, MAG6
Marach: NetherSeer Lv30, HP315/MP55, BRV69, FTH31, MV4, JMP3, SPD10, ATK8, MAG6

Final Fantasy IX

There's an awful lack of free time in this game. I'm on disc 3, my party hasn't even cleared level 30, nevermind Steiner, who has almost never been playable, and I've been to a Chocobo forest only once and explored a pretty small amount of the world thus far. I'm really hoping Disc 3 opens the rest of the world map.

for my 8th birthday, i asked for Final Fantasy 1 for NES and my parents delivered. I remember being so happy to finally own the game and never having to rent it and start over each time.

I think that Sunday night when i finally had time to myself after my party Saturday, i made it to the pirate town where you get the boat and head south.. I played it a little every day either leveling up and collecting gold and buying new spells and equipment progressing slowly through the game..

I remember talking to an older kid on the bus that i later became good friends with tell me how to get the tail to turn older.. at the time i didn't even know you could do that.. I was pretty excited when i figured that out and moved on..

My first party i ever beat the game with i believe was Fighter, Red Mage, White Mage.. can't remember if i had double Fighter or a black mage in the party as well.. I'm think Fighter X2 red mage white mage for my first try.

Now when i replay the game i love how awesome the Blackbelt becomes without a weapon around level 10 or so.

Loved FF1 FF4 FF 6 more than any other in the series..played those at an age when i was very captivated by games.. I'm 31 today and could play through all those games without blinking an eye and still enjoy them very much.

It's too bad Square is no longer half as good as they once were. Their Nintendo and early Sony days ps1 and ps2 were by far their best ERA..

Jucksalbe

Banned
Since this thread seems to be dead now, I'm posting the final summary on this page.

t7UEI.png

ActStriker PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Aeana PSP: Part 1A, 1B, 2, 3, 4
ATF487 PSP: Part 1
BreakyBoy PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
catchan PSP: Part 1, 2
Cyan NES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Entropia GBA: Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
honorless PSP: Part 1
IdreamofHIME : Part 1
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Kokonoe PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
kswiston PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
ninjatrigg PSP: Part 1
Ourobolus GBA: Part 1, 2
perfect free iOS: Part 1, 2, 3
Scythian PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
upandaway PSP: Part 1

2SNG6.png

ActStriker PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Aeana PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
charlequin : Part 1, 2
Chris25 iOS: Part 1, 2
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3
gketter PSP: Part 1, 2
Goli PSP: Part 1
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
honorless PSP: Part 1, 2
IdreamofHIME : Part 1
Johnas : Part 1, 2
ninjatrigg PSP: Part 1
Ourobolus iOS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Psxphile PSP: Part 1
Scythian PSP: Part 1
sphinx PSP: Part 1, 2
Ultratech GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Aq5jV.png

Aeana Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
CorvoSol DS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Entropia DS: Part 1, 2, 3
Exentryk iOS: Part 1
gketter DS: Part 1
Heropon DS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Jucksalbe Famicom; Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 , 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Kaori's Babydaddy Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3
Kokonoe PSP: Part 1, 2
Natetan DS: Part 1
ninjatrigg DS: Part 1
Ourobolus Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PixyJunket DS: Part 1
Psxphile DS: Part 1, 2
stupei DS: Part 1, 2, 3
Toth : Part 1
TranceKuja Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Ultratech PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Jucksalbe

Banned
x261G.png

Absoludacrous PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Aeana PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
chris-013 iOS: Part 1
CorvoSol DS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
CorvoSol PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
DarkSchala SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Some kind of weird stuff, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Goli PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Heropon DS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
honorless PSP: Part 1, 2
itzknickknac PSP: Part 1
Jedeye Sniv iOS: Part 1
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2
Kalnos DS: Part 1
Nocturnowl PSP: Part 1, 2
Ourobolus PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Paches-EJ- SNES: Part 1, 2
Red Scarlet SNES: Part 1, 2
Ultratech PSP: Part 1
Watanabe Kazuma PSP: Part 1
Zerokku PSP: Part 1
Zing SNES: Part 1

G1Uuc.png

CorvoSol Wii: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
CorvoSol PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Electivirus PSP: Part 1, 2, 3

RaUs0.png

Aeana SFC: Part 1, 2
Bladenic : Part 1, 2, 3
coopolon : Part 1
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Demoli GBA: Part 1
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Heropon GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
HiddenWings GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
HiddenWings GBA: Part 1, 2, 3
JCV : Part 1, 2
Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Schnei871 : Part 1
SougoXIII GBA: Part 1, 2, 3

Jucksalbe

Banned
CGGlJ.png

Aeana : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Bladenic : Part 1
CorvoSol GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Dark Schala SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
FGMPR PSX: Part 1
FrontalMonk : Part 1
Heropon SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
jb1234 GBA: Part 1, 2
Jedeye Sniv : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Jucksalbe SNES: Part 1, 2
Natetan : Part 1, 2, 3
Nocturnowl : Part 1
Ourobolus GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Rei_Toei : Part 1, 2, 3
Scythian Empire GBA: Part 1, 2
Vamphuntr PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

owF0R.png

Aeana : Part 1
Bearded Dudebro : Part 1
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forceatowolf : Part 1, 2
Gravijah : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
GrumpyAlien : Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Jackano PC: Part 1
Kagari : Part 1
led4lyfe : Part 1, 2, 3
Lindsay : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, Bonus, Bonus2, Bonus3
Ourobolous : Part 1
StuBurns : Part 1
TxdoHawk : Part 1

B9X1C.png

APZonerunner : Part 1
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chacranajxy : Part 1, 2
chris-013 : Part 1
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Entropia : Part 1, 2
Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
jb1234 : Part 1, 2, 3
jbueno : Part 1, 2
SFGamer : Part 1
TranceKuja : Part 1, 2
Wildesy : Part 1
xist : Part 1

Jucksalbe

Banned
A8wpa.png

Billychu : Part 1, 2, 3
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
DarkKyo : Part 1
Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
Jucksalbe : Part 1
Lactose_Intolerant : Part 1
Lightning Lord : Review
pikablu : Part 1, 2
Professor Beef : Part 1
TranceKuja : Part 1, 2, 3

7lPNl.png

Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
led4lyfe : Part 1

4UZaF.png

Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
Jucksalbe : Part 1
ULTROS! : Part 1

53owS.png

Xaekid PC: Part 1, 2, 3

2ELSj.png

chris-013 Zodiac: Part 1-01, 1-02, 1-03, 1-04, 2-01, 2-02
RDreamer Zodiac: Part 1, 2
Xux Original: Part 1

HsK4V.png

Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
coopolon : Review
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3
Jea Song : Part 1
Mxrz : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Ourobolus: Part 1
Rahxephon91 : Part 1, 2
Roubjon : Part 1, 2
Seda: Part 1
TheSeks : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Toth : Part 1

jp2zm.png

CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
DR2K : Part 1
linko9 : Part 1, 2

Jucksalbe

Banned
zLCUq.png

Aeana : Part 1
honorless : Part 1

WUyry.png

chris-013 PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2
Jedeye Sniv iOS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Professor Beef PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

CMWLX.png

Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

1oECs.png

CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
ivedoneyourmom : Part 1

uFYHL.png

Locke_211: Part 1, 2
Lindsay: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

EjwF5gP.png

Lindsay : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

2fXtL.png

Anslon : Part 1, 2
The Awesomest : Part 1
Goli : Part 1

XUUdE.png

CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

xKrAx.png

Jucksalbe: Part 1, 2

Jucksalbe

Banned
ijS2i.png
aka This game...!
mByij.gif

Dark Schala SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Jucksalbe SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

TJiP4.png

CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jucksalbe SGB: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

KzikN.png

Ultratech : Part 1, 2, 3, 4

z44SN.png

HiddenWings: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Jucksalbe: Part 1

h2Cc9.png

Lindsay : Part 1, 2

BKbdh.png

m1uovjJ.png

CorvoSol iOS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

REbAAxv.png

CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4

Bonus: If you want to take screenshots on your PSP, follow Stumpokapow's instructions here and here.
Bonus 2: Need to get rid of black borders in your pictures? Look here.
Bonus 3: In the event that any Vita FF game is released, you can take screenshots by pressing the Home and Start button at the same time. This does NOT work for PSP and PSX games on the Vita.

If you find a mistake or something I missed, feel free to contact me.
Also, if you have a better version of one of the logo images (that still looks good at 60px height), send me a PM.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IX

-Chocobo Hot and Cold sucks moogle balls.
-Oh my God why is this battle system so slow.
-Perspective is the enemy of prerendered backgrounds. WHERE IS THE EXIT TO THIS SCREEN?
-Whycome I can't do a dungeon that doesn't have a shitty gimmick on disc 3?
-Vivi is cute and all, but how anyone could say the best character in this game was someone other than Zidane or Steiner is beyond my ken.

Serious plot question, now:
Is Terra inside of Gaia? I never got that before.

i just saw they did a remake of final fantasy legend II/SaGa II. did anyone ever play it? a shame it never got released outside of japan, i loved the original game...

CorvoSol

i just saw they did a remake of final fantasy legend II/SaGa II. did anyone ever play it? a shame it never got released outside of japan, i loved the original game...

The remake or the original? Cuz I've definitely played the original. Been interested in picking up the remake, too. But I dunno if anybody's translated it or not.

Ourobolus

Banned
For the heck of it, I started an FF1 SCC-Warrior. About to head into the Lich's dungeon. It hasn't been too bad so far, the only problem is when I get paralyzed.
Any tips I should be aware of, such as weapons-used-as-items, or prevention of paralysis?

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IX

Finished the game. And though I have some complaints, I still really enjoy this game. Largely due to the cast and story, which I feel is pretty good. I have to say, with regards to the ending, though, that
I don't get why it is popular belief to say that Vivi died. I mean it's been a year and he's had a bunch of kids. Sure, Vivi isn't explicitly seen, but he also isn't stated to be dead and aside from the talk about Black Mage life spans, nothing implies he's dead, either. I mean, Vivi's probably living in the Black Mage village, and that's a long way for him to go to Alexandria, especially if nobody seems particularly concerned with coming to pick him up.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy X

So I've begun playing this game at my brother's insistence. It has been over half a decade since last I played. I remember loving it at the time. Of note is that, while the graphics do, of course, look dated here and there, the game doesn't look that bad. Which means of course that FF7 continues to be the only Final Fantasy in the series to look truly awful (and that's mostly outside of combat, where 7 looks okay.)

The combat system is hilariously better than in IX's, where everything moved horribly slow and I grew to hate the battle music, largely because I can you know, finish battles in less than ten minutes and don't get attacked every three steps (which is also a huge problem in Final Fantasy Dimensions.) The battle system also offers us character swapping on the fly, which is the best thing in the series as far as I'm concerned, because it means I can use my myriad of party members in a single fight and build strategies to include them.

Music is really good. Like, I feel like there's almost a new song for every area/situation so far. Voice acting is dreadful and the lip sync's not much better, but on the other hand, the party keeps their mouths shut during battles, unlike the gooddamn fools in XIII who will not shut it and say "I OWE YA I OWE YA I OWE YA" every three seconds.

Maps are somewhat linear, I suppose, but on the other hand I can talk to NPCs and go inside buildings and make decisions regarding my character growth, as well as solving puzzles in dungeons, so the accusation that X is as linear as XIII is hilarious misdirecting.

Character design is as crazy as one might recall, Jecht is still the sexiest man in the franchise, and the story ranges from interesting to crazy crazy crazy all the time.

Top Bottom