• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

Status
Not open for further replies.
“It’s better than nothing”. That’s the assessment of Keiji Inafune following the damning critical reception of his new platformer Mighty No.9.
The reviews for the game have not been kind, with the title currently carrying a Metacritic rating of 60 per cent. There has also been some frustration about the game’s visuals, which – as per this Eurogamer video – are nothing like the quality previously hinted at.
To celebrate the Mighty No.9’s North American and Japanese launch, developer Comcept ran a live stream in which Inafune himself appeared to admit that things hadn’t panned out as expected.
"The reality is they put everything into making this game,” Inafune said, as translated by Comcept’s Ben Judd, Vice reports. “They didn't try to microtransaction it out, they didn't try to DLC it out for extra money. They put it all in.
“So, for now, this is what you see and what you get, for the Mighty No. 9 world. But, again, we can hope that if things go well, there'll be sequels. Because I'll tell you what, I'm not getting my 2D side-scrolling fill. And at the end of the day, even if it's not perfect, it's better than nothing. At least, that's my opinion."

Judd also explained how Inafune began work on other projects once the game had hit around the 70 per cent completion mark and was not involved in its porting to various platforms.
Mighty No.9 was crowdfunded to the tune of $3.8m back in September 2013, but has since been hit with a string of delays, as well as questions about the campaign’s sincerity. Note that the Xbox 360, Mac and Linux versions have been delayed, with 360 backers instead being offered a Steam code for PC.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/inaf...of-mighty-no-9-is-better-than-nothing/0168798

Well, there's nothing else he could really say.

Of course, that doesn't make those comments any less disgusting.

Edit - Maybe "disgusting" isn't the right word..."depressing" might be a better fit.

Grexeno

DGzSZ8h.png

thuway

I just want some indie developer to come out and make a game in the vein of Mega Man X. Cuphead is effectively the Contra we never got.

Zereta

I have no personal stake in any of this but you can't just respond to the criticism of the state of your game with a:

jPAdK8Nfzzwt2.gif

That's not how this works, Inafune.

xevis

Banned
I'd rather have nothing because that would mean I never chipped in to help make this game.

I think "better than nothing", in this case, means "better than not releasing anything at all" rather than "better than if none of this had happened".

DSix

Banned
I guess now he's going for the pity vote. But that's Molyneux tactics...

I don't really know what to think of this really. Where has the money gone? We know for a fact that many indies are capable of far better for just a tenth of his budget.

pswii60

I got an amazing side scrolling fix with the Strider remake, which is a great example of the right way to do it.

nynt9

This game is just the perfect storm of a shitshow, and it's amazing how Inafune doesn't even give enough of a shit to own up to it.

No reason to get personal here buddy. Critisize the work, not the person.

The lying surrounding the Red Ash Kickstarter is definitely a work.

m4st4

4 mil - it's better than nothing.

He can only look up to WayForward's Shantae and beg for scraps from now on.

Chaos17

I just want some indie developer to come out and make a game in the vein of Mega Man X. Cuphead is effectively the Contra we never got.

He had 4 millions, even Bloodstained from IGA look more promising and done with love and it had less money (1M ?).

MrBadger

Hey, you. Looking at the screen.
Do you like average games that are average?
Then you gotta play this game dude. It's better than nothing.

JP

And yet, here's me with "nothing" feeling happier about that than what many are feeling with "better than nothing".

bman94

It's better than nothing. Fucking really? The 2D platformers market is not dead. It may not be huge retail releases like back in the 90's but it's definitely not dead. We've got so many quality 2D platformers from Nintendo and talented indie developers that you releasing an inferior product shouldn't be a fucking favor to the gaming industry.

Codeblue

Hey, you. Looking at the screen.
Do you like average games that are average?
Then you gotta play this game dude. It's better than nothing.

I'd rather he come out and say "look, we screwed up" than try to deny every printed word about the game. I'll never get my money back, but I'd feel a modicum of consolation if Comcept is a better company for wasting my cash and puts out something good eventually with the lessons learned.

That's was just Ben Judd's opinion(producer). Going on something along the lines with not enough 2D side scrolling games on the market and all.

Which is kind of a dumb point.

There are enough nintendo published really high quality 2D platformers. And then there are indie games.

Mugen08

Was that really something Inafune said and Judd translated? Watching the stream now and it felt like Judd's own assessment? Not that it helps much but still.

MrBadger

Which is kind of a dumb point.

There are enough nintendo published really high quality 2D platformers. And then there are indie games.

True, and there are lots more sincere attempts at recapturing the NES era of sidescrollers. Mighty No 9 just feels rather outdated, like that story and those characters would have been cool in the early 2000's, but some self awarenesses is needed to make it work in the modern day if you're even going to put a story in a platformer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
he also said, "I'll own all the problems the game has, and if you'd like to hurdle insults at me, you're welcome to"... I don't know, the tone of that in writing feels aggressive, but it didn't seem cynical to me at the time. I don't know every part of this story, but I have some sympathy for everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom