• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue that the demand for a new Megaman game was amplified by Capcom cancelling Legends 3 and Universe, and people being scared that the brand was being axed. Mighty No 9 was about replacing Megaman and "telling Capcom to go fuck themselves", which is the narrative I was getting while it was being funded.

I don't think there is a perceived lack of 2D sidescollers. In fact the narrative feels like the opposite whenever Nintendo announce a new one.
Yes this is what happened from what I remember, it wasn't really from the lack of platformers, it was fueled by revenge against Capcom for the cancellations.

I'm watching the whole stream and it is depressing. Lots of "We hope you'll support us in the future, but if not, that's up to you" apologies. Post-mortem indeed.

I guess I have to give them credit for acknowledging the elephant in the room.

Drencrom

At least some people had dinner with him for $10.000

3yTwpuv.png

WeeklyExcitableHake.gif

Wereroku

As someone who is currently discussing indie game proposals with colleagues... controlling project scope is rule number 1 of indie game design. I'm surprised an outspoken game dev veteran like Inafune wouldn't get this, even in 2013.

But maybe this is a hard lesson to learn for people coming out of the top-down Japanese game industry. Inafune is used to being relatively in charge... and was looking for more freedom if anything. Maybe he looked at Kickstarter like it was the land of milk and honey and all his wildest game ideas were on the table.... when it's more like a small allowance for a tight and focused game proposal.
I doubt inafune thought it would cost as much as it did to develop and port it. Also everyone keeps referencing indies but this was not an indie project. No one went without a paycheck and everyone was paid at a standard rate.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So did Inafune actually say that or someone else in the stream say that.

I watched the whole thing and I'm not actually sure. Judd wasn't doing a super great job of distinguishing translations from his own commentary. It was all the same tone.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I doubt inafune thought it would cost as much as it did to develop and port it. Also everyone keeps referencing indies but this was not an indie project. No one went without a paycheck and everyone was paid at a standard rate.

That's a good point.

PsionBolt

Can someone who understands japanese say that Inafune said it? It's not entirely clear if the translator added that himself after translating what Inafune said about DLC.

Inafune said "Other than the Ray DLC, nothing is currently planned. If circumstances allow, it's possible we could make more." Everything else in the exchange was all on the part of the other guy.

Poor reporting on the part of Vice and MCVUK. If you don't have staff that can fact-check for you, you shouldn't make attributions you're not sure about. (Though honestly, anyone reporting on video games should really have someone with Japanese ability on staff regardless.)

I watched the whole thing and I'm not actually sure. Judd wasn't doing a super great job of distinguishing translations from his own commentary. It was all the same tone.

In fairness, I guess this was true. Judd didn't make it clear, and the default expected behaviour for an interpreter is to not speak their own thoughts. But still, I would think that the reporters should have noticed how Judd's comments were five times as long as Inafune's, and therefore taken the extra step to fact-check.

Wereroku

I thought Kickstarter helped finish these projects not fund it to be made from the ground up?

Either way the list is still pretty small.
The bigger difference on those is one platform and that it was handled by the devs themselves hiring a dev will cost more then internal development.

Not getting your side-scrolling fill, Inafune? Really? I could name you five games that fit that criteria on my hand! Five!

Shovel Knight
Axiom Verge
Gunman Clive
La-Mulana 2
Apotheon

But anyways, the more I learn about this, the more I get even more upset about this whole MN9 snafu. I would say good luck to you, Inafune, but considering how reviews and word of mouth are right now, I don't think it would help much.

Krammy

He mentions stretch goals as the big reality. And that is, "I envisioned stretch goals as developers being stretched over a gigantic rack, screaming and writhing in pain, because the reality is you add new platforms because you really think you can do it, you add new modes because as a creator you're like, man, this is going to be awesome, but at the end, it ends up being an incredibly large amount of content and you end up being stuck in a situation where you can either say, do we cut content, or do we keep our promises and end up knowing that we underestimated how challenging this will be?"

From 00:37:40 in the interview, Ben Judd translating a response from the president of Inti Creates, Takuya Aizu.

From what I've read from other posts, it sounds like not enough money was budgeted towards the game itself, and they were overwhelmed with the additional console stretch goals, so no surprise there for most of us. It also really hammers home the point that's been made on some recent Kickstarters, where the number of consoles should be limited, and releases like PS3/360/WiiU/Vita should be abandoned.

This game seems to mostly be a case-study of why attempting to port to every system under the sun at the same time whilst the game is being developed is a very bad idea.

I have no personal stake in any of this but you can't just respond to the criticism of the state of your game with a:

jPAdK8Nfzzwt2.gif

That's not how this works, Inafune.

Not just criticism of your game, how about those that spent $4 MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS TO FUND IT and you apparently used most of it to buy gas?

Well , how should i say this.

AT least the game works as a game .. it controls , has an ending ... i actually agree . it's better than nothing.

Now a little more planning ahead would have been MUCH better, like VERY MUCH better i would say

he also said, "I'll own all the problems the game has, and if you'd like to hurdle insults at me, you're welcome to"... I don't know, the tone of that in writing feels aggressive, but it didn't seem cynical to me at the time. I don't know every part of this story, but I have some sympathy for everyone here.

Cool. I like the real talk.

I hope someone else funds it, because I'm certainly not and I'm betting the people who put 200+ dollars into it aren't going to either. Hope he saved some of the money from making it.

I'd rather have nothing because that would mean I never chipped in to help make this game.

Exactly; I didn't support MN9, but even I find that argument outrageous. You don't deliver a disappointing product and then say "it's better than nothing" unless you delivered that product for free.

Fuck off with that shit; people paid you money because they hoped you'd deliver something special.

Foffy

Banned
things revealed on their stream:
- only 60% of the money went to game development
- instead of building base game and then porting to different platforms like any developer would do, they were done simultaneously. They completely underestimated the workload required thus delays.
- it was Ben Judd who said "it's better than nothing" actually.
- Inafune completely dodged the question about Red Ash
- neogaf comments were mean

Did they really address GAF's kinda meltdown over this?

Krammy

Is this true? It sounds like lunacy.

That would certainly explain why all the versions look like a 3DS build with varying additional post-effects. A lot of people assumed they were going for the lowest common denominator, so this isn't really surprising.

Jobbs

Banned
So an average of 60% is a "damning critical reception". It sure isn't what you want for a game but damning?

If a legendary game designer returns to make the spiritual successor to a fan favorite you'd hope for a better game

and there is no excuse for how the game looks. The dumbass design of the characters and the way the game plays is a choice, but the game being hideous there's no excuse for.

$50k funding and made by 3 people

jacobeid

Banned
I think nothing would be better

Yup. Hope he doesn't get a shot at a sequel.

....or anything else to be quite frank. Dude is a straight hack and his response here just angers me.

things revealed on their stream:
- only 60% of the money went to game development
- instead of building base game and then porting to different platforms like any developer would do, they were done simultaneously. They completely underestimated the workload required thus delays.
- it was Ben Judd who said "it's better than nothing" actually.
- Inafune completely dodged the question about Red Ash
- neogaf comments were mean

So where the fuck did 40% of our money go? Sorry they can't handle mean (and well deserved) comments.

MicH

The icing on the cake in this steam was when they played the game and it crashed on the damn stream. That's hilarious and shows how terrible the game is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom