• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

Status
Not open for further replies.
One day threads about Mighty No. 9 are going to dry up and I'm going to be sad.

Thank you to everyone who backed this. Without you we wouldn't have been able to watch this all unfold. You may not get a good game out of it, but we got some solid Neogaf comedy.

And isn't that what really matters?

AHA-Lambda

“They didn't try to microtransaction it out, they didn't try to DLC it out for extra money. They put it all in.

What’s perhaps most annoying about Mighty No. 9 is that Inafune clearly knows how to fix many of the problems present in the game. There’s a DLC transformation that allows attacking upwards from the beginning of the game and an additional DLC boss which throws out the gimmicks and just relies on skilled combat movement to fight.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/mighty-no-9-review/

hmm...

Wereroku

That I can also agree with. Shovel Knight did it right with focusing on two consoles and then porting it later. Trying to simultaneously develop for like 5 platforms is a terrible, terrible idea!
Even Playtonic knows this and another developer is working on PS4/XBO versions.

The true budget for Shovel Knight was apparently around 1.4 Million and that was just for 2 platforms. So MN9 being at 2.7 for 5 is insanity and they should have known it would not end well.

Yeah, he should be adding proof alongside a claim like that, but really other indie devs have been sharing that sentiment in all the other MN9 threads so really you won't have to dig hard to find that he's not off base at all. I share the same thing. It's hard to say how much a game definitively "costs" to make, but I made GunWorld 2 in 14 months for $10,000. While my Metacritic rating is a small amount lower than MN9, if you factor in my non-Metacritic listed reviews, GunWorld 2 is averaging at a 70-something. It's the second video game I've ever made.

Inafune has been in this industry for a very, very long time. He had a team that is known for making great games in this genre. He had far more money than any 2-4 person indie team would need to make a fantastic game in this genre. He still dropped the ball hard.

I don't mean this to be taken as an extreme criticism, just an interesting tidbit of thought. I have made two games ever (the first one being really bad), and alone for $10,000 I made something that on a total scale is getting better reviews in around a third of the time.

Great indie games by teams of 2-4 people that are much better than me can produce phenomenal games at a fraction of MN9's budget. Hell, just look at Shovel Knight.

So you paid yourself less then 10,000 Dollars for 14 Months of work? That is not something Inafune could do Inti-Creates is not going to work for a drastic discount like that and the other Comcept employees will probably also not agree to work for those terms.

MicH

One day threads about Mighty No. 9 are going to dry up and I'm going to be sad.

Thank you to everyone who backed this. Without you we wouldn't have been able to watch this all unfold. You may not get a good game out of it, but we got some solid Neogaf comedy.

And isn't that what really matters?
I backed this dumpster fire of a game for $60, still have the gotten my damn Wii U code (that I'm probably never gonna redeem) and I already feel I've gotten my money's worth watching this disaster unfold

That I can also agree with. Shovel Knight did it right with focusing on two consoles and then porting it later. Trying to simultaneously develop for like 5 platforms is a terrible, terrible idea!
Even Playtonic knows this and another developer is working on PS4/XBO versions.

Even focusing on two consoles Shovel Knight almost destroyed Yacht Club Games.

Budgets are a real thing and when you don't know how to handle them you can sink a game or worse, your company.

Budgets are a real thing and when you don't know how to handle them you can sink a game or worse, your company.
Yeah hearing this kind of made me less mad about it all. It is mainly just a classic case of mishandling your project.
But I cannot forgive them making an up attack DLC-only...

Honestly, I think at this point most backers would prefer nothing and just getting a fraction of their money back from this disaster.

Fuck no I would rather get what I backed for. It's not a great game but I think it has some fun in it.

I did say most, not all.

So you paid yourself less then 10,000 Dollars for 14 Months of work? That is not something Inafune could do Inti-Creates is not going to work for a drastic discount like that and the other Comcept employees will probably also not agree to work for those terms.

Yes I did, and there are lots of indies who pay themselves next to nothing just to make their games happen. I'm not saying Inti can do that, just saying that the originally quoted post isn't off base for saying some indie teams can make a "better" game for a fraction of MN9's budget.

EDIT: That's not me saying GW2 is better than MN9 for what it's worth. I haven't played MN9 yet and I plan to. Just making this as a general point.

I'm sure MN9 is better than reviews lead you to believe.

Wereroku

Honestly, I think at this point most backers would prefer nothing and just getting a fraction of their money back from this disaster.

Fuck no I would rather get what I backed for. It's not a great game but I think it has some fun in it.

Yes I did, and there are lots of indies who pay themselves next to nothing just to make their games happen. I'm not saying Inti can do that, just saying that the originally quoted post isn't off base for saying some indie teams can make a "better" game for a fraction of MN9's budget.

They were using that as a justification to say he embezzled money. He had to pay his employees and Inti-Creates normal salaries. If he could have gotten drastically reduced development costs like you and other indies he could have also probably made a better game.

So where the fuck did 40% of our money go?

Probably like this estimate for Yooka Laylee.

USeUiHM.png

Apathy

Something so many people forget. It always makes me shake my head when people had no issues with Microsoft indie policies requiring them to do simultaneous releases on multiple consoles and why people could not see why that was a bad policy.

They were using that as a justification to say he embezzled money. He had to pay his employees and Inti-Creates normal salaries. If he could have gotten drastically reduced development costs like you and other indies he could have also probably made a better game.

No way he did that, I'm just specifically responding to the one point.

TunaLover

I read the game is very unpolished and very buggy with laughable long loading times, it's the same across all the versions or just Wii U?

Really a shame the thread title has not changed and people keep reading what they want to read, there is legitimate reasons to criticize Inafune, we don't need to criticize him for things he didn't said.

Ibuki

Banned
Really a shame the thread title has not changed and people keep reading what they want to read, there is legitimate reasons to criticize Inafune, we don't need to criticize him for things he didn't said.

It's too late, the misinformation has already spread.

Pointing out that it's better than not including microtransactions and DLC seems like an excuse that a child would make.

Worst part is I know people who will see this and still tell people to stop "bullying" Inafune.

Wereroku

Pointing out that it's better than not including microtransactions and DLC seems like an excuse that a child would make.

Worst part is I know people who will see this and still tell people to stop "bullying" Inafune.

No people will point out that Ben Judd said that and not Inafune. He just said the Ray DLC is the only one planned right now.

Ah, that's my mistake then. Misread.

Your good you didn't misread the article is wrong and the OP hasn't updated to reflect that. Ben Judd apparently went on a bit of a tear. Would be nice if he would let people know when he was giving his own opinion on things.

No people will point out that Ben Judd said that and not Inafune. He just said the Ray DLC is the only one planned right now.

Ah, that's my mistake then. Misread. The wording makes it sound like he was translating what Inafune was saying.

Edit: What James quoted below is what confused me. If Inafune IS the one that said that, then, well...

JamesAR15

That's not what the article says though?

Vice Article said:
To be fair to Judd, he's only translating the words of Inafune himself, who answers a question about game expanding DLC at 1:09 in the stream:

"So there's not any additional DLC beyond the Ray (an additional antagonist) DLC. The reality is they put everything into making this game. They didn't try to microtransaction it out, they didn't try to DLC it out for extra money. They put it all in. So, for now, this is what you see and what you get, for the Mighty No. 9 world. But, again, we can hope that if things go well, there'll be sequels. Because I'll tell you what, I'm not getting my 2D side-scrolling fill. And at the end of the day, even if it's not perfect, it's better than nothing. At least, that's my opinion."

Jyester

Ben Judd works there and he translated his comments. Where's the confusion?

Inafune says, answering the question regarding additional DLC: "Besides the one that's announced already? We have no plans for the time being. Maybe once we get some room to breathe it'll be something we could consider."

As pointed out, Judd adds his own personal comments immediately after the translation.

Foffy

Banned
The cynic in me says that Ben can afford to come off as kind of an asshole considering he's also helping out Bloodstained which has a good chance of being a success and not ruining his rep.

Which of course is funny, as when Ben worked at Capcom, he would shitalk how "another Castlevania" would blindly be put out the door, directly referring to Konami's annualization of the IP.

And here he is essentially involved with a successor project to that same IP.

Great, so the physical box and manual that I guess I'm going to get is going to be an ever present reminder that I made a bad decision.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
he also said, "I'll own all the problems the game has, and if you'd like to hurdle insults at me, you're welcome to"... I don't know, the tone of that in writing feels aggressive, but it didn't seem cynical to me at the time. I don't know every part of this story, but I have some sympathy for everyone here.
Let's be real, it sucks to have a dream for years then spend years working on a chance at it only to have it completely fail in the end. Nobody wants that for themselves. Nobody wants that for others. With that in mind, one might want to feel bad for Inafune, but there are other factors here...

1) It was not just any old original game project. They pushed the Mega Man likeness hard. They set this up as the great justice for all the fans who longed for those games that got nixed by Capcom. They got a bunch of Mega Man people on the team and partnered with IntiCreates who did some awesome Mega Man games. It asked people to give their money to that dream then took the original idea it had and used it to make a style of play completely different.

2) It strongly downgraded even from what it seemed like it wanted to be and promised. You could maybe overlook the departure from Mega Man if it realized something else very well. The concept art was solid, they had fans voting on different things and lots of commentary on the personality of different characters. Years down the road it looks like a Dreamcast game with less-than-PS1 animation cutscenes. Less than mere flaws, it seems actually unrealized in many ways.

3) When it was clear shit was fucked up, they hid that from backers until they were forced to come out with it. They made promises and broke them. Then they did it again. They were more than just secretive, much with how they spoke to backers can be seen as outright dishonesty. You don't do that with people who funded you. It is a massive disrespect and earns you disrespect in return. Red Ash in the middle of it was also a huge misplay.

If you want to be gracious with that, you are free to do so, but I wouldn't say people are being unfair. If they were completely forthright and proactively open and honest, things would be different. I will say he did the right thing insofar as owning the faults of the game, saying in other messages that there is no excuse for their repeated failures, and not holding it against people if they insult him. Inafune should be the most humble man in the industry right now. He's going to have to display that while also delivering awesome games for a few years before many people to start respecting him again.

The people I feel bad for are the development team people who had no role at all in direction decisions that resulted in the state of the final product. I've definitely worked at places where offering your very best amounts to shit because of flawed systems and leadership decisions. It sucks.

Probably like this estimate for Yooka Laylee.
Transparency. Like you're talking to current and possibly future investors. Because you are. Playtonic knows.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
How did I not know about this livestream happening in advance?
Was there a kickstarter update I missed? Going by experience probably not but better be sure?
If I had known I would have asked why communication was so goddamn bad and why they never improved it despite those insane debacles.

LewieP

The deliberate deception immediately prior to and during the Red Ash KS was the tipping point for me.

1. Retailers updated their store listings, suggesting that MN9 was going to be delayed.
2. Comcept specifically denied all rumours that it was being delayed, confirming that it was still on track to make it's previously stated release date.
3. They launched the Red Ash KS, and the first thing Inafune said on the pitch video was that they had completed development on MN9, on the 4th of March 2015.
4. The Red Ash KS was a failure and they cancelled it, instead partnering with a publisher (in what seemed like either a deal that was rushed to a reckless extent, or had been negotiated prior to the KS)
5. They immediately announced a delay for MN9 entirely in line with the initial retailer store listings.

Almost as if they lied about the status of MN9 in order to try and get money off people from an unrelated project. They knew no one would donate to the Red Ash KS if MN9 had just been delayed, so they lied about the delays. And now it is out, over 15 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom