• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so embarrassing... I feel like an idiot for backing this Kickstarter. Mighty No 9 was a horrible deal. The fact that the interpreter said it doesn't make me feel better. I'd much have rather saved my $100 than back this, it's insulting man.

Kazuhira

The MegaMan franchise is so cursed that it affects anything related to it,even something like a spiritual succesor is bound to fail.
I feel bad for the guys who backed this shit.

Come on Inafune. When the Cards Against Humanity guys sent a literal box of shit to backers, that was funny. But it's not nearly as funny the second time.

I've come to accept that I'll just have to replay the old Mega Man games if I want my fix.

Instead of picking this up I'll get Kirby.

kubus

I know the game has had a clusterfuck of a launch but I feel this thread is getting out of hand and people are just piling on the game now for the sake of it.

Inafune did not say this. It was Ben Judd's own words.

I don't even know how Ben Judd is involved with this game. As far as I know he only helped with the kickstarter? In the stream he introduced himself as such. Not even involved with programming or producing the game it seems.

maxcriden

"The reality is they put everything into making this game,” Inafune said, as translated by Comcept’s Ben Judd, Vice reports. “They didn't try to microtransaction it out, they didn't try to DLC it out for extra money. They put it all in.

Who is the "they" here? Surely not just the developer, but also the backers.

Edit: oh, so it wasn't Inafune, but someone else. My mistake.

So an average of 60% is a "damning critical reception". It sure isn't what you want for a game but damning?

A 60% average isn't damning for a game that had relatively nothing significant or eyebrow-raising concerning its conception, the developers/studio/publishers involved, its development cycle, and its PR campaign.

None of the above however applies to the circumstances surrounding Mighty No. 9; which makes the fact it received a 60% reviewer average when all is said and done damning. The game was supposed to be more than just a new 2D platformer, and consensus is that it has failed to deliver on its promises.

LiK

I know the game has had a clusterfuck of a launch but I feel this thread is getting out of hand and people are just piling on the game now for the sake of it.

Inafune did not say this. It was Ben Judd's own words.

I don't even know how Ben Judd is involved with this game. As far as I know he only helped with the kickstarter? In the stream he introduced himself as such. Not even involved with programming or producing the game it seems.

Ben Judd works there and he translated his comments. Where's the confusion?

Who says anything about praising? He's no saint, that's for sure.

But there's no need to create a false narrative here.

It's a 60 Metacritic game of which he admits it's not perfect, but he's glad to have made it anyway.

What false narrative are you talking about?

So what you're saying is that Inafune will have nowhere to go in the gaming community and there could be a possible chance he might fade into obscurity? He better hope Recore does well, but I think people won't trust that game because of his mistakes here with Mighty No. Nein.

The $40 price helps and Inafune is barely mentioned at all during all the PR talk about the game.

kubus

Inafune was asked if there was more content planned for Mighty No. 9. Inafune says something along the lines of "No, nothing outside of the Rey dlc". Ben Judd translated this, but immediately adds his own opinion on the launch, making it look like he was translating Inafune's words. This is not the case.

Is he really on the Mighty No. 9 team? In the stream he introduced himself as a "video game agent" and he even threw in some pr for the Bloodstained kickstarter, which he's also working with.

Loptous

"The reality is they put everything into making this game”
And that's why we got an anime right
whose fans will cry on prom night

So an average of 60% is a "damning critical reception". It sure isn't what you want for a game but damning?

Mighty No. 9's score on Open Critic puts it in the 12th percentile of all games covered by the site. Yes, being in the bottom quintile of all games worth covering is damning.

Saying 60% isn't damming is like saying a D in grade school is just "below average." It isn't. They hand out A's in grade school like candy, and a D is terrible.

Beartruck

I would hope it's more than nothing, he was paid 4 million dollars to make sure that was the case. So congrats for barely meeting your obligations, now please be excited for a sequel? Fuck off Inafune.

edit: Depending on who said it, I amend my comment to "Fuck off Ben Judd". Either way, what a callous and foolish thing to say on the launch day of your game.

Don't worry, Inafune. You can get your 2D side-scrolling fix from games like Shovel Knight and Gaffer made games like Ghost Song, GunWorld 2 and our Mega Man/Ninja Gaiden game MAINFRAME ONE.

You're welcome. Let devs who give a fuck handle this, thanks.

This guy is the gift that keeps on giving in the lols department.

Seriously were any of the KS gifts like getting to meet the developers and play the game with them or something? Could be pretty awkward haha. :p

Then again, if you have that kind of money to throw at a random game you're probably rich and don't care really that it was 'wasted' on something like this.

Wereroku

This guy is the gift that keeps on giving in the lols department.

Seriously were any of the KS gifts like getting to meet the developers and play the game with them or something? Could be pretty awkward haha. :p

Then again, if you have that kind of money to throw at a random game you're probably rich and don't care really that it was 'wasted' on something like this.
It isn't even him. Now he's getting shit for something he didn't even say. I know people are pissed but everyone needs to chill out.

WarLox

I guess now he's going for the pity vote. But that's Molyneux tactics...

I don't really know what to think of this really. Where has the money gone? We know for a fact that many indies are capable of far better for just a tenth of his budget.

Thats quite a claim. Where are your receipts to back this up?

So this makes it sound less like scamming people but more like horrid, how-did-this-guy-even-stay-at-capcom-for-that-long management. Burning through most of the stretch goal money and trying to develop a game for 10 wildly different platforms at once? What the FUCK
I just saw Inafune handle the Red Ash question (01:11:18) and man does he look uncomfortable. He also gives an amazing non-answer that makes me believe it's not actually happening and the announcement of having a publisher was just done to save face.
More like it was done to forcibly get people to pledge for a failed Kickstarter in hopes to get funded and get away with an extra 800 thousand bucks.

I hope you are not saying this with a fucking straight face.
You can come here saying, its IMO, but still doesn't change is a terrible one, just a MN9 is.

Does it bother you that I don't think those games were any good other than Shovel Knight? What makes your opinion right and mine terrible? Will it prevent you from sleeping at night because my opinion doesn't match yours? An opinion is an opinion, you don't like it, then deal with it. Fucking hell, get a life.

A friend of mine who speaks Japanese, just said he didn't say it and that the translator added that part to it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Funny to hear this from Ben Judd...

He was involved in Bionic Commando Rearmed - a game which looked, ran, and played better than Mighty No. 9. It was a 60fps side scroller on PS3 and Xbox 360 that ran better than MN9 on a PS4 while still looking more attractive.

What Ben is missing here is that many of us are OK with the content. The issue isn't even the game itself, at least for myself, it's the technical state of the game. It runs like complete garbage on all consoles with certain systems, such as Wii U, seeing versions that are nearly unplayable. Considering the visuals on display, this just isn't acceptable.

We've seen so many other 2D action games offer vastly superior visuals and performance this gen. Look back at Strider - a beautiful game that delivers a rock solid 60fps on consoles with massive, beautiful environments.

MN9 feels ancient and runs like shit. That's not acceptable. Unreal Engine 3 is one of the most widely used engines of the last decade - surely there is SOMEONE out there that could have aided Inti Creates here.

Daft Punk

Banned
Don't worry, Inafune. You can get your 2D side-scrolling fix from games like Shovel Knight and Gaffer made games like Ghost Song, GunWorld 2 and our Mega Man/Ninja Gaiden game MAINFRAME ONE.

You're welcome. Let devs who give a fuck handle this, thanks.

Uggh. Could have done without the shameless plug before your last line there champ. Also The team bit off more than they could chew. You could tell from the Magfest panel that Inafune was stressed and trying to finish 23+ master ROMs in different languages was too much for the team to handle.

Foffy

Banned

Judd has a huge fucking problem of inferring himself into comments he's translating.

He's done this with IGA as well.

These are Judd's personal feelings said immediately after translating Inafune's works.

This is damage control from Ben Judd for a Western audience.

What Ben is missing here is that many of us are OK with the content. The issue isn't even the game itself, at least for myself, it's the technical state of the game. It runs like complete garbage on all consoles with certain systems, such as Wii U, seeing versions that are nearly unplayable. Considering the visuals on display, this just isn't acceptable.
Honestly they should have just took whatever money for Voice Acting and put it toward visuals instead. Did anyone actually like VA in MM8?
Even Yokai Watch games got it right with leaving voices to a minimum.

Wereroku

Honestly they should have just took whatever money for Voice Acting and put it toward visuals instead. Did anyone actually like VA in MM8?
Even Yokai Watch games got it right with leaving voices to a minimum.

An extra 100k wouldn't have done anything for the visuals. They should have gone with a better engine and released on fewer consoles.

daveo42

Banned
I mean, I guess it works because people paid money for it, but it would probably better if this project had never been funded to begin with. At least looking at what the backers and investors ended up with. The other good/bad news is people will be more wary of backing certain projects just because someone is attached to it.

An extra 100k wouldn't have done anything for the visuals. They should have gone with a better engine and released on fewer consoles.
That I can also agree with. Shovel Knight did it right with focusing on two consoles and then porting it later. Trying to simultaneously develop for like 5 platforms is a terrible, terrible idea!
Even Playtonic knows this and another developer is working on PS4/XBO versions.

Thats quite a claim. Where are your receipts to back this up?

Yeah, he should be adding proof alongside a claim like that, but really other indie devs have been sharing that sentiment in all the other MN9 threads so really you won't have to dig hard to find that he's not off base at all. I share the same thing. It's hard to say how much a game definitively "costs" to make, but I made GunWorld 2 in 14 months for $10,000. While my Metacritic rating is a small amount lower than MN9, if you factor in my non-Metacritic listed reviews, GunWorld 2 is averaging at a 70-something. It's the second video game I've ever made.

Inafune has been in this industry for a very, very long time. He had a team that is known for making great games in this genre. He had far more money than any 2-4 person indie team would need to make a fantastic game in this genre. He still dropped the ball hard.

I don't mean this to be taken as an extreme criticism, just an interesting tidbit of thought. I have made two games ever (the first one being really bad), and alone for $10,000 I made something that on a total scale is getting better reviews in around a third of the time.

Great indie games by teams of 2-4 people that are much better than me can produce phenomenal games at a fraction of MN9's budget. Hell, just look at Shovel Knight.

That one. You're not alone in that, obviously.

People are acting like he's supposed to hype up this game when it clearly isn't worth hyping up. If he would've acted like it's brilliant, would that be better?

I'm pretty sure that's not what happened in this thread.

They did not need to add micro transactions since they has so damn many stretch goals, online play and other things that could have waited.

He is a guy who will not say a thing until the day or after something is done, they didn't announce a mighty delay until the day after red ash's kickstarter flopped for example.

Terrible communication and actions.

The cynic in me says that Ben can afford to come off as kind of an asshole considering he's also helping out Bloodstained which has a good chance of being a success and not ruining his rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom