• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

Status
Not open for further replies.
things revealed on their stream:
- only 60% of the money went to game development
- instead of building base game and then porting to different platforms like any developer would do, they were done simultaneously. They completely underestimated the workload required thus delays.
- it was Ben Judd who said "it's better than nothing" actually.
- Inafune completely dodged the question about Red Ash
- neogaf comments were mean
Wasn't Ben translating?

I bet people would have loved me if I said that in the face of criticism over GunWorld.

Geez dude. He's free to say and feel that, but it sure shows his colors. He made this game with fans money, and it fell very short. I don't think that's how they want to be responded to.

(Apparently the translator actually said that? In what context?)

jacobeid

Banned
This dude. The faster he leaves this industry the better.

Agreed. I'm sure all of his Japanese friends he spent the interview rounds talking shit about aren't going to welcome him back with open arms and the community isn't going to kickstart anything with his name on it.

I bet people would have loved me if I said that in the face of criticism over GunWorld.

Geez dude. He's free to say and feel that, but it sure shows his colors. He made this game with fans money, and it fell very short. I don't think that's how they want to be responded to.

1:09:00

I hope everyone watches it in context. The livestream is primed for cherry picking up the ass.

I got an amazing side scrolling fix with the Strider remake, which is a great example of the right way to do it.

Really? I thought the Strider remake very mediocre.

He had 4 millions, even Bloodstained from IGA look more promising and done with love and it had less money (1M ?).

It's not that hard to go do research and realise how very wrong you are.

Over 5 million in KS and another 4.5 million from the publisher. So yeah that's more than twice what Inafune got.

Narroo

No they had to pay taxes and processing fees and for the physical rewards. All of that costs money.

That is true. KS takes a % off the top, then they had to still pay for backer rewards(which probably wasn't that much if they were sane.), then they had to pay licensing fees for all the platforms the game was on (isn't it stupidly expensive to publish on most consoles unless it's indie, in which case it's still expensive?) Actually, doesn't Unreal require a license for each platform, or am I wrong?

That said, a good chunk of those issues could have been avoided by better decision making. On the other hand, some people seem to think that their money got embezzled or that Inafune was consciously trying to scam people which is ridiculous.

Agreed. I'm sure all of his Japanese friends he spent the interview rounds talking shit about aren't going to welcome him back with open arms and the community isn't going to kickstart anything with his name on it.

So what you're saying is that Inafune will have nowhere to go in the gaming community and there could be a possible chance he might fade into obscurity? He better hope Recore does well, but I think people won't trust that game because of his mistakes here with Mighty No. Nein.

Sanjuro

3yTwpuv.png

WeeklyExcitableHake.gif

Burger King and a 40oz in a paper bag.

No eye contact.

I gotta go to the bathroom.

Slaythe

Yup. Hope he doesn't get a shot at a sequel.

....or anything else to be quite frank. Dude is a straight hack and his response here just angers me.

So where the fuck did 40% of our money go? Sorry they can't handle mean (and well deserved) comments.

Physical rewards

Kickstarter tax

Campaign marketing

brawly

Yup. Hope he doesn't get a shot at a sequel.

....or anything else to be quite frank. Dude is a straight hack and his response here just angers me.

So where the fuck did 40% of our money go? Sorry they can't handle mean (and well deserved) comments.

Translator said "better than nothing", not Inafune.

If I were in the business of making video games, and I read that quote, I would never hire that man to make a video game for me ever. Just based upon that.

Actually, I don't know if I would even hire him to do anything for me. Period.

jacobeid

Banned
So what you're saying is that Inafune will have nowhere to go in the gaming community and there could be a possible chance he might fade into obscurity? He better hope Recore does well, but I think people won't trust that game because of his mistakes here with Mighty No. Nein.

After leaving Capcom he went on a pretty aggressive interview tour in which he threw major shade on the Japanese development community, his colleagues in the industry. Combined with this mess I don't think it's difficult to see that Inafune's name doesn't mean much anymore. He may fade into obscurity, he may not. Only time will tell.

Physical rewards

Kickstarter tax

Campaign marketing

Fair.

That was just Ben Judd's opinion(producer). Going on something along the lines with not enough 2D side scrolling games on the market and all.

That may have been true ten or even five years ago, but that certainly isn't the case today. You can't just release a 2.5D game and pat yourself on the back for being 'bold'.

kevm3

I don't really see what everyone is complaining about. The game's graphics aren't particularly great. Other than that, what's the issue? The game looks like decent fun.

PsionBolt

Wasn't Ben translating?

To quote myself from earlier in the thread:
Inafune said "Other than the Ray DLC, nothing is currently planned. If circumstances allow, it's possible we could make more." Everything else in the exchange was all on the part of the other guy.
Essentially, interviewer asks about expansions, Inafune says "no plans", Judd (the interpreter) adds PR spin that goes off the rails in a bad way.

I feel awkward posting about this game in a semi-positive (or at least non-negative) way. Call it morbid curiosity, sunk cost fallacy, whatever -- I cant wait for Gunvolt 2 to come out so I can push MN9 out of my head.

If I were in the business of making video games, and I read that quote, I would never hire that man to make a video game for me ever. Just based upon that.

Actually, I don't know if I would even hire him to do anything for me. Period.

If I were Inafune, seeing all this bad press would make me pretty upset with Judd. Inafune's pride and reputation have taken enough hits lately without outside help.

Krammy

I just saw Inafune handle the Red Ash question (01:11:18) and man does he look uncomfortable. He also gives an amazing non-answer that makes me believe it's not actually happening and the announcement of having a publisher was just done to save face.

This is incredible. A developer produces utter dross and acts like it's a gift to the gaming industry.

The backers must be furious.

borborygmus

That said, a good chunk of those issues could have been avoided by better decision making. On the other hand, some people seem to think that their money got embezzled or that Inafune was consciously trying to scam people which is ridiculous.

Pretty much this. I don't see the need to trash the guy or hope he never works in the industry again. It's clear why he's being defensive about it.

Walpurgis

Banned
Don't worry about ReCore. It looks horrible and knowing Inafune, the actual game will be even worse. After that, we'll all forget about him.

Alright so the REAL SITUATION is that Inafune confirms no plans for big DLC, and the translator quips that the base game is better than nothing.

This is incredible. A developer produces utter dross and acts like it's a gift to the gaming industry.

The backers must be furious.

It's a 60 Metacritic, and the designer admits to it not being a masterpiece. You know, like, a 60 Metacritic.

What narrative are we trying to push here?

Not getting your side-scrolling fill, Inafune? Really? I could name you five games that fit that criteria on my hand! Five!

Shovel Knight
Axiom Verge
Gunman Clive
La-Mulana 2
Apotheon

But anyways, the more I learn about this, the more I get even more upset about this whole MN9 snafu. I would say good luck to you, Inafune, but considering how reviews and word of mouth are right now, I don't think it would help much.

Maybe he doesn't like any of those games? Other than Shovel Knight, the rest weren't so good imo.

Foffy

Banned
I just saw Inafune handle the Red Ash question (01:11:18) and man does he look uncomfortable. He also gives an amazing non-answer that makes me believe it's not actually happening and the announcement of having a publisher was just done to save face.

He kind of looked ashamed and embarrassed to be asked about it. Wows.

Inti is going to have a very demoralizing week..

Oh gosh, that would make Inafune look even worse than he does now.

Capcom were right?

ohhh.png

The only way the irony could get any more sweeter would be for Capcom to announce a new mega man game, made by the same development team and does better than MN9.

Outrun

Lowered Expectations....

Wow, the contempt that he exhibits...

I love how he tries to sell us on a future game that will scratch our side scrolling itch.

It's a 60 Metacritic, and the designer admits to it not being a masterpiece. You know, like, a 60 Metacritic.

What narrative are we trying to push here?

He took millions, created a sub-par product and is being smug about it. If you want to praise him for that then have at it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
From 00:37:40 in the interview, Ben Judd translating a response from the president of Inti Creates, Takuya Aizu.

From what I've read from other posts, it sounds like not enough money was budgeted towards the game itself, and they were overwhelmed with the additional console stretch goals, so no surprise there for most of us. It also really hammers home the point that's been made on some recent Kickstarters, where the number of consoles should be limited, and releases like PS3/360/WiiU/Vita should be abandoned.

One thing this KS had against it was timing, because 2013 was basically the year one console generation ended and another began. This made it problematic to narrow down which platforms to support. Had the KS been launched, say, in 2015 (possibly even in 2014), there would have been much less of an expectation to support PS3 and 360, and possibly Wii U as well.

Having said that, I still imagine the biggest bottleneck was supporting handhelds and this is something that they shouldn't have taken on in hindsight.

Boney

Banned
The headline makes the statement come out completely out of context. "It's not perfect" is the Segway that makes it so it's more like "we tried out hardest" other than "suck it up biatches"

Kyoufu

They sent me incorrect region codes for the DLC packs and a PC download link despite opting for the PS4 version.

This is not better than nothing.

He took millions, created a sub-par product and is being smug about it. If you want to praise him for that then have at it.

Who says anything about praising? He's no saint, that's for sure.

But there's no need to create a false narrative here.

It's a 60 Metacritic game of which he admits it's not perfect, but he's glad to have made it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom