• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockx4

I think people want the games, they just don't want to be forced to buy X or Y console to play them.

I think some people want games, they just don't want others to also have games. Which is ridiculous since Atlus splits series across multiple platforms, them being bought out by any console maker will deprive another fanbase of multiple series that have a successful following.

DiresuDR

It's pretty crazy that when a publisher\developer goes bankrupt you see so much shit in these threads. So many people sound fucken insane, its like you guys don't even want the games, you just want ammo to shit on fans of other consoles.

That's really not the impression I've got from it. I think most people just want ATLUS to keep making games. I suggested SONY NOT because I don't want others to get ATLUS games, but because they are always increasing their first party studio lineup, need more JRPGs, and could be useful to them in Japan. Not to mention they give their studios creative freedom and ATLUS could thrive. But if you want to write it off as console war fodder argument, go for it.

Lunar15

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that INDEX, not Atlus, is looking for a partner/buy out. Nothing has stated they are willing to sell any division of their company. Index is more than Atlus, they have several other entertainment companies in their fold.

If the company was bought out as a whole, I strongly doubt a console manufacturer (or any gaming company) would have any reason to buyout or merge with a entertainment conglomerate.

rockx4

That's really not the impression I've got from it. I think most people just want ATLUS to keep making games. I suggested SONY NOT because I don't want others to get ATLUS games, but because they are always increasing their first party studio lineup, need more JRPGs, and could be useful to them in Japan. Not to mention they give their studios creative freedom and ATLUS could thrive. But if you want to write it off as console war fodder argument, go for it.

I'm not saying everyone, but many comments in this thread is obviously aimed at console war shit. I'm certainly not saying everyone is like that. This just reminds me of the THQ thread. When it all ends I hope each IP ends up in the hands of a capable third party.

Ill take anything I can get to keep atlus alive unlike some people here who would rather they die then have to buy a console they dont w ant

LTWheels

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that INDEX, not Atlus, is looking for a partner/buy out. Nothing has stated they are willing to sell any division of their company. Index is more than Atlus, they have several other entertainment companies in their fold.

If the company was bought out as a whole, I strongly doubt a console manufacturer (or any gaming company) would have any reason to buyout or merge with a entertainment conglomerate.

I think the thought is buying the games development assets in a case of insolvency.

Nintendo fans been all over this because they are dying for something to play without their kids...

I kid, I kid, It was funny, right?

Nah, we know you are not kidding at all. The truth is that Atlus mainly support Nintendo consoles anyway, so it will basically stay the same way if Nintendo buys them, besides Persona being released on Sony consoles.

Of course most people want Atlus to be supported by a 3rd party company. It's the best solution for them and for gamers.

Cornbread78

Nah, we know you are not kidding at all. The truth is that Atlus mainly support Nintendo consoles anyway, so it will basically stay the same way if Nintendo buys them, besides Persona being released on Sony consoles.

Of course most people want Atlus to be supported by a 3rd party company. It's the best solution for them and for gamers.

exactly, all the Sony/MS/Nin talk is crazy, it needs to be a 3rd party....

zeopower6

I hope Sony purchases Atlus, their titles have been aligned with Playstation for forever.

Unfortunately, only Persona's been PS-aligned for a while now. SMT/MT games have been coming out ONLY on DS/3DS for the last 4-5 years. Surprised there haven't been any PSP versions though :/

I really doubt SCE or Nintendo would even think about purchasing Index Holdings. They're just sitting back and waiting for a 3rd party to buy them. The Atlus games for the most part will make their way to those systems.

As long as it's not Square Enix, I'm fine with that....

I'm not exactly sure why people are so against Square. They've given a ridiculous amount of freedom and money to the studios that they've purchased so that they can make games. And Atlus really isn't even one that needs that money, so they won't have big budgets hanging over their heads with the games that they release.

Sandfox

Unfortunately, only Persona's been PS-aligned for a while now. SMT/MT games have been coming out ONLY on DS/3DS for the last 4-5 years.

There's only one SMT game on a PS console and everything else was spinoffs back in the heyday of console RPGs(included that crappy Devil Summoner port that makes me iffy about Vita spinoffs)

Proven

This reminded me of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, for some reason.

This would be amazing.

6iUYB1w.jpg

Just say the word Atlus.

vctor182

I really doubt SCE or Nintendo would even think about purchasing Index Holdings. They're just sitting back and waiting for a 3rd party to buy them. The Atlus games for the most part will make their way to those systems.

You really think that? Who knows if a 3rd party would keep releasing them or make them like Atlus have done so far. I have a feeling that they are watching things flow very closely and if at some point they are not looking good for either one they will jump in.

Instro

I'm not exactly sure why people are so against Square. They've given a ridiculous amount of freedom and money to the studios that they've purchased so that they can make games. And Atlus really isn't even one that needs that money, so they won't have big budgets hanging over their heads with the games that they release.

Because they are a horrible publisher when it comes to localizing games.

RedSwirl

...Crytek's been buying developers from doomed companies lately...

But seriously almost any third party experienced with RPGs is fine in my opinion except probably EA. They just need to recognize that Atlus has successfully carved out its own niche and survives by selling specifically to it.

cluderi

Well there are a lot of Persona fans and a surprising many don't even know about Atlus' other games :/

But there's also fans like me who enjoyed Persona so much I've gone on to buy and enjoy pretty much every Atlus game I can get my hands on here in Aus.

I just want someone to partner with or buy Atlus so I can keep doing that (apart from EA, the horror...)

I don't know if its been answered all not but I think this is an important question. If a third-party buys Atlus do they still have to fulfill Atlus' original obligation to Nintendo for SMTxFE or does Nintendo have to renegotiate a entirely new deal? While Altus has assured release of all announced games I notice have SMTxFE wasn't announced. This game is obviously going to be the latest released as we still don't even have any gameplay yet. It is at least a mid-2014 title. I don't seem them being able to fulfill this title unless they continue well into whatever new form they take. If they do have to negotiate a new deal would Atlus' new owner essentially have Nintendo over a barrel and be able to hike up the price for a new deal as otherwise Nintendo has put in at least six months dev-time in a title they do not have the ability to release.

There's only one SMT game on a PS console and everything else was spinoffs back in the heyday of console RPGs(included that crappy Devil Summoner port that makes me iffy about Vita spinoffs)

Most of the non-Sony SMT games were ported to the PS1 at some point anyway, so that's not too big of a deal. Aside from Devil Survivor, Persona is actually the only one that's stayed exclusive, for the most part.

Eusis

Because they are a horrible publisher when it comes to localizing games.
Admittedly half of that is simply not releasing many games over the last few years in Japan due to emergency FFXIV re-development, though it's alarming the DQ games passed over and even Bravely Default nearly being left behind despite being one of the more anticipated 3DS games people had - and actually turning out to be quality it seems, unlike tri-Ace's game that people promptly forgot existed.
...Crytek's been buying developers from doomed companies lately...

But seriously almost any third party experienced with RPGs is fine in my opinion except probably EA. They just need to recognize that Atlus has successfully carved out its own niche and survives by selling specifically to it.
I really don't think there's any chance of any western publisher grabbing them. Especially the likes of Crytek who have fundamentally different priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom