• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narcosis

Why would it matter what games they make, if they let Atlus do whatever they want, completely unaffected by said games?

Because of a long history of game development studios being purchased by new management and changing to fit the corporate structure and tendencies of their new ownership, I'd rather not have the people that create all that god-awful otaku masturbation fodder get ahold of decent IP and just hope that this one time things turn out differently.

What's with everyone thinking Compile Hearts / Idea Factory are such bad choices? They seem to be all about doing whatever they want, so they would probably let Atlus do whatever they wanted to. I don't see them being worse than Index at the very least.
I'm sure the Neptunia series is an artistic endeavor.

Not to imply Atlus is wholly artistic.

C'mon, Nintendo. We already have SMTxFE, let's make some new Trauma Center games and lock down Persona 5 as a Wii U exclusive.
Odd that you would want Persona 5, considering you didnt have a PS2 to play P3 and P4. Wait, I guess its not odd that youd want it locked down to the big N.

hamchan

C'mon, Nintendo. We already have SMTxFE, let's make some new Trauma Center games and lock down Persona 5 as a Wii U exclusive.

Weird attitude. I know Nintendo needs all the help it can get right now but I'd rather see everybody be able to play Persona instead of locking it to one console.

EDarkness

Weird attitude. I know Nintendo needs all the help it can get right now but I'd rather see everybody be able to play Persona instead of locking it to one console.

Would everyone be able to play Persona 5 if it was announced? Odds are it would be exclusive to one platform.

Meia

This news makes me

tumblr_moia4klf5z1rdli8pke.jpg

:(

Gung Ho has purchased Acquire and Grasshopper and so far has let them continue as normal.

That's actually not true, as you see in this interview with Suda 51 and Gung Ho's CEO about their first game together:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/0...manufactures-secret-game/#6G4ei4E88MVtfBWD.99

Some choice parts:
Grasshopper Manufacture is known for making action games and hack ‘n slash games like Lollipop Chainsaw while GungHo is known for developing RPGs. What will the gameplay be like in this title?

KM: Hack ‘n slash games can be unwelcoming, the games don’t always explain well what you’re supposed to do with the gameplay. Unlike hack ‘n slash, RPGs have players take one level at a time and the game actually guides you through. While some people say that’s linear, it’s still welcoming since it holds your hand. The systems in RPGs like Lunar and Grandia are constructed well. I want to combine the RPG elements and hack ‘n slash elements to come up with a new gameplay system. RPGs are more skill based while you can get lucky in hack ‘n slash games. I wanted to make sure to have both elements, luck and strategy in the gameplay.

How have each of you added something unique to the collaborative game?

KM: GungHo’s strength is we’re focused more on the fantasy side. Suda-san has had this idea for this world for a long time before he pitched it to me. Once I heard this idea, I wanted to work with the world that Suda-san has created. I thought of the action meets RPG style gameplay and the ecosystem. We’ve been going back and forth trying to figure out what works for the game.

GS: That was the basic thought process, but after that it’s been a mix of everybody putting ideas onto the table. We have five to six people coming up with new ideas every week. Some people’s job titles might be higher than others, but at these meetings those go out the window and we just brainstorm.

Is the online component versus? Co-op?

KM: Actually, it’s neither. If we were to choose it’s more on the co-op side, but that doesn’t mean it’s completely multiplayer.

KM: Yeah, it’s very similar, but different from Puzzle & Dragons.

As you can see Gung Ho is having a radical influence of Grasshopper games. Grasshopper is known for their hack and slash gameplay with No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead. The CEO basically says the genre isn't good enough and has decided he wants to combine RPG elements to it so people will understand it, what Gung Ho is known for. It seems like he is calling a lot of the shots of the new game. They even discuss multiplayer, a feature no Grasshopper game has ever seen before. He directly compares it to his company's hit game Puzzles and Dragons. The interview makes it look like the CEO is the one who is creating the game with all the ideas he wants to implement. Its clear that Gung Ho is not leaving Grasshopper alone but having them drastically change their style to fit in with the games that Gung Ho already makes.

Busaiku

That's kind of the point. They release a lot of games and a good chunk of them aren't multi-platform. There's no guarantee that Persona 5 would be either.

The only games they released on HD systems were multiplatform games, so there's that argument to be made as well.

Dark Rider

this is a sad new for Atlus fans :(
Index deserve to go down but owning Atlus is what makes it hurt
I hope Atlus get out of this unscathed and continue to be themselves

hamchan

That's kind of the point. They release a lot of games and a good chunk of them aren't multi-platform. There's no guarantee that Persona 5 would be either.

Assuming that Persona 5 is for consoles and that no manufacturer buys them off, I don't see why they wouldn't. They obviously thought there was enough of an audience on Xbox to release Catherine and then Persona 4 Arena after that. Unless they couldn't make a profit on the 360 versions.

EDarkness

The only games they released on HD systems were multiplatform games, so there's that argument to be made as well.

True. But we're also talking about a numbered mainline Persona game. Reading a lot of comments over the years, I get the feeling most people expect that game to be on only one platform. It's not a side game like Arena, or something wholly original like Catherine. If it was announced today for only the PS4, I doubt anyone would be surprised.

Sandfox

Assuming that Persona 5 is for consoles and that no manufacturer buys them off, I don't see why they wouldn't. They obviously thought there was enough of an audience on Xbox to release Catherine and then Persona 4 Arena after that. Unless they couldn't make a profit on the 360 versions.

You have to consider that Persona is a niche JRPG that will get almost all of its sells in Japan so that may make them want to stick with the PS3 only.

FluxWaveZ

Well, that's comparing three completely different situations. Catherine, an experimental new IP that was also Atlus' first foray onto HD systems; Persona 4 Arena, a co-developed competitive fighting game that made its debut in arcades and Persona 5, the next numbered JRPG entry in the fairly niche Persona series.

I don't think we have much of anything to go on when it comes to potential consoles.

I don't think Nintendo is that interested in this. Why didn't they get Dragon's Crown on the Wii U?
Dragons Crown isn't an atlus game. Regardless, why would they? The last vanilla ware game on Nintendo consoles didn't do so hot and the game isnt big enough for Nintendo to go out their way to secure

this could be said about any atlus game.
The argument for Nintendo buying atlus is that the majority of atlus' games end up on Nintendo platforms anyway, without their involvement and it would make sense for it to stay there. But you're right, it wouldn't be worth it to Nintendo to secure all of Atlus' games

What would hypothetically be the more valuable partnership: Platinum or Atlus? Is Bayonetta worth more than Persona?
Partnering with platinum definitely does more for Nintendo, at least in the short term. More software diversity and it helps the image and etc. And it does it in the way partnering with atlus can't since they're games are more mainstream and "mature". But if you mean cost, securing persona would be way more expensive. Bayonetta 2 was a canceled game when Nintendo brought it back. They probably got it for dirt cheap

FluxWaveZ

There's all this talk about Persona 5, has there been an announcement that I haven't heard about?

It's in development. There has not been an announcement.

Because we already know that everything they've already announced will proceed as planned even after these events, the obvious unannounced game we can discuss is Persona 5.

Lot of really, really terrible comments in this thread. :( This isn't the place for platform fanboyism.

That's actually not true, as you see in this interview with Suda 51 and Gung Ho's CEO about their first game together:

I really don't read that interview as anything but Suda talking about the collaboration in place at their new place. I'd want to see a lot more evidence to believe the situation is bad.

You have to consider that Persona is a niche JRPG that will get almost all of its sells in Japan

Persona is Atlus' biggest franchise in the US...

Soulflarz

Banned
Lot of really, really terrible comments in this thread. :( This isn't the place for platform fanboyism.

I really don't read that interview as anything but Suda talking about the collaboration in place at their new place. I'd want to see a lot more evidence to believe the situation is bad.

Persona is Atlus' biggest franchise in the US...
And were done here.

Sera O

Banned
God, this news is absolutely awful. I feel like Atlus has been keeping the JRPG alive for me for the past few years. Now what? Hope it gets bought by a company that will let them continue.

L Thammy

Well, at this will make it easier to finally get into Megaten!

Any solid predictions yet? Would there be any problems if GungHo were to pick them up?

SykoTech

The posts in this thread are as almost as sad as the situation. Instead of actually caring about the franchises, some of you only seem interested in Atlus being bought out by your favorite corporation so you can rub it in everyone's face and use them as a bullet point in fanboy list wars.

I hope they remain multiplatform so they can continue with their release lineup as planned.

I also hope they remain region free. Or I'll be buying used like I did Persona 4 Arena. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom