• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [September] Now Voting - Post 287!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hexcells is a fantastic game. The puzzles are so well designed, and the presentation is so soothing you never feel irritated by lack of progress. Currently on 5-1 of Infinite and it took me hours just to get past the first couple of moves. So good when it clicked :)

Being the broken record that I am, I highly recommend checking out the devs other games as well, especially Sentinel. If you want to, I can dig up my impressions on that game, but the dev knows a thing or two about smart and appealing game design.

Edit: Finally page two!

Krystof Koreni

Neo Member
Well dang, now that makes it look like I entered my own giveaway. Which I didn't... at least not on purpose. Must have been a PM quoting error though I don't recall doing anything that would have contributed to that.

So I guess if anyone is LTTP and still wants it...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well dang, now that makes it look like I entered my own giveaway. Which I didn't... at least not on purpose. Must have been a PM quoting error though I don't recall doing anything that would have contributed to that.

So I guess if anyone is LTTP and still wants it...

Is there no one here who would like to try Cities in Motion 2? The game is a tad complex, but its a really nice toolbox of public transportation management and lovely to tinker around with.

Crispy75

Being the broken record that I am, I highly recommend checking out the devs other games as well, especially Sentinel. If you want to, I can dig up my impressions on that game, but the dev knows a thing or two about smart and appealing game design.

Edit: Finally page two!

Hmm. I'm not really a fan of tower defence. Sell it to me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Blown away by the little I've played of Lethal League so far!

Ultraworld - $15 (PC)
uw7.jpg

http://visit-ultraworld.com

Drop by and take in the sights and sounds of this lush First-Person Explorer. It’s not all rest and relaxation, though, as you’ll need to help a lonely video game character face it’s problems. It’ll present you with some curious questions and then ask you to respond. It’s up to you to decide what answers to provide, if any at all.
Will you change it’s outlook, or will it change yours?

alllen

Neo Member
The Pathologic remake is exciting, it looks like it will probably meet its goal but luckily even if it don't it will still be made. Now to wait 2 years for its release..

Toma

The Pathologic remake is exciting, it looks like it will probably meet its goal but luckily even if it don't it will still be made. Now to wait 2 years for its release..

Well, you could just play the original :p

Wouldnt be surprised if its a case of fans considering the original more moody because it looked a bit more abstract, but we'll see.

arcanadei

Love that one of the Pathologic rewards is a board game version. The art and the idea are unique enough that it could be really great if done right. Also, some amazing sales on ShinyLoot this weekend. Tower of Guns for $3.75 today only, and Escape Goat for $1.50, with ToME for $1.75 tomorrow. Several other good ones on there as well. Guess I know where my extra cash is going now.

https://saltthegame.com

Salt is a first person open world adventure game where you sail across an an ocean and explore various islands that you find.

Looking at their website, so this is basically No Man's Sky but with boats? Sounds awesome, I'll need to give the trail a shot this weekend and hope my laptop is up to it. Has anyone played it? Searching for "salt" on gaf is fruitless :(

Looking at their website, so this is basically No Man's Sky but with boats? Sounds awesome, I'll need to give the trail a shot this weekend and hope my laptop is up to it. Has anyone played it? Searching for "salt" on gaf is fruitless :(
Got a copy from the dev, haven't played it yet. Will definitely post impressions when I do

Toma

Even though the graphics are a bit reminiscent of No Mans Sky, watching the trailer I rather get an impression of a non-blocky Minecraft than No Mans Sky.

But now that I said that, I noticed that No Mans Sky isnt too terribly different of a general concept to Minecraft either. Funky how widespread the Mine & Explore formula has become.

Even though the graphics are a bit reminiscent of No Mans Sky, watching the trailer I rather get an impression of a non-blocky Minecraft than No Mans Sky.

But now that I said that, I noticed that No Mans Sky isnt too terribly different of a general concept to Minecraft either. Funky how widespread the Mine & Explore formula has become.

I was mainly think about how the world is randomly generated but the same for everyone. So if you see something cool I can find it myself (if I can get there)

September
Another retrospective look at how indie games have progressed (or not) in a year's time

1849 - Finished, released

AdventurOS - still in development, most recent dev update this week,

Air Dash Online - website is dead, Kickstarter was cancelled, last dev tweet in October

A Touch of Moonlight - now titled Embers of Laponia, releasing 2015 for PC and tablets

Before - still in development, more news coming soon

Cosmic DJ - released on Steam Early Access

Crawl - Released on Steam Early Access

Curse - no recent info or updates

Death Road to Canada - successful Kickstarter, in development

Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - finished, released

Dungeon of the Endless - released on Steam Early Access

Dysbiosis - finished, released

Eleven - No recent info

Extrasolar - available to play online

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666821”]September 2013[/URL]
Retrospective continued

Framed - in development, coming soon to mobile

Harold Haribut - last Tumblr update in November

Honourbound - now titled Onikira: Demon Killer, in development

Hybris - delayed till 2015

Interstellaria - successful Kickstarter, regular progress

Into the Wylde Abyss - still in development, regular dev updates

Irkalla - still in development, last update in July

Legend of Lya - successful Kickstarter, Greenlit, had a dev update today, delayed

Mines of Mars - released on IOS

Morphopolis - finished, released

Mudlarks - finished, released, freeware

Myriad - still in development

September 2013
Retrospective continued

New Game+ - no recent info

Regret - still in development, regular dev updates

Secrets of Raetikon - finished, released

Shadow Warrior - finished, released

The Floor is Jelly - finished, released

The Stomping Land - dead as a dinosaur, pulled from Steam

Tinselfly - no recent info

Tower of Guns - finished, released

Undead Overlord - released on Steam Early Access

Watashi Wa - released for last year's 7DFPS

We Shall Wake - still in development, new prototype released recently

White Space - no recent info

Wilfred the Hero - has a demo, no recent info or updates

Windborne - released on Steam Early Access, last update in July

Zlythy - last update in January, no recent news, dev working on a new game

Anyone else notice that the Greenlight batches have slowed down lately? Before they were being announced like twice a month.

But then the last few were June 25th, July 11th, and August 1st

Toma

Anyone else notice that the Greenlight batches have slowed down lately? Before they were being announced like twice a month.

They wanted to get rid of Greenlight anyway, so I wouldnt be surprised if they just phased it out.

I've been out of the news recently but it was pointed out in the Steam thread that they are greenlighting games individually.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Can you still play the free version/demo of that game online? All the previous links now seem to lead to expired sites and the main MoaBD site doesn't really reveal much.

Yup! Archive.org strangely enough made backups of the original downloads. Windows|Mac.

I made a discussion containing those on the greenlight page since many people felt similarly to you. I hope XRA takes the requests for more information into consideration so people get a better idea of what to expect. It seems like it has evolved quite a bit since this late 2012 demo.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I usually play a ton of indies, but Wizard Wars has been eating up all my time. Over 100 hours now since launch. It's that good. Probably the best fighting game I've played this year, and it's not even marketed as a fighting game.

Toma

God, I think reading that BoI: Rebirth Steam discussion page kills brain cells.

What is there even to discuss about? I am not brave enough to venture over there :p

http://strangethink.com/

David Pittman (Neon Struct dev) just tweeted about this, said they were some of the most exciting procedurally generated worlds he'd seen.

Here's footage.

Saw that tweet earlier, it looks interesting...not sure what's so exciting about it though. There isn't a whole lot of information about it TBH.

People complaining about the graphics, the price, that it's a "downgrade", asking what's different (read the freaking Store page)

Those people are obviously a minority considering the game is sitting at #2 on the best sellers list.

Personally, It's one of my most anticipated titles this year.

Saw that tweet earlier, it looks interesting...not sure what's so exciting about it though. There isn't a whole lot of information about it TBH.

Those people are obviously a minority considering the game is sitting at #2 on the best sellers list.

Personally, It's one of my most anticipated titles this year.
Same, already preordered

Eastshade - ????
Bw34iCPCIAA-jdb.jpg

http://www.eastshade.com/about/

Eastshade is an interactive experience that is primarily concerned with being a world worth exploring for the sake of exploring. There are no enemies to kill, no dialogue dramas between acted characters to play out, and no towns to build. There is a world with sights to see, sounds to hear, people to meet (hopefully), things to find, and impasses to surmount.

Kraden's Crypt - Free alpha demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
local-co-op.png

http://www.kradenscrypt.com

Kraden's Crypt is a momentum driven, rogue-like, dungeon crawler currently under development

Spectrum - PC, Mac, Linux, IOS, Android
SS1.png

http://3davenue.net/spectrum/

Spectrum is a minimalist platform game set out in an abstract dark world now invaded by light and color. On it, the player must find a way back into darkness by reaching lightless portals scattered across the game and avoiding colorful deadly obstacles. Through endless jumping and diving mechanics the game offers casual players the simple goal of reaching the end of the level, yet it also provides more complex objectives that require more precision, accuracy, and determination, to those seeking for a greater challenge.

Project Shattered - ????

Soul Axiom - PC, PSN, Nintendo eShop
directlink_BwxrzSPCMAAL8vM.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.walesinteractive.com/#!soul-axiom/c1q1m

Soul Axiom is a first-person sci-fi adventure game that will take you on a journey through the deepest darkest recesses of your soul.
Explore Soul Axiom’s rich environments and immersive story to unravel the mystery of your life and digital afterlife. You will be taken on an intriguing voyage of discovery, through beautiful, haunting locations, facing challenges that will take you into danger on your mission to unlock your identity, your story, your mystery. But beware: some mysteries are better left unsolved…

Previously Mentioned

Death's Gambit

Xenoraptor

Hindsight - ????
directlink_Bw4Z_aYCQAAWXTK.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.hindsightgame.com/

A game about a woman who can photograph the memories of the sick and dying.

Dr. Spacezoo - Free early version (PC, Browser)
directlink_Bw3vDhjCcAAwwpw.png%3Alarge.png

http://smashriot.com/dr-spacezoo/

Infiltrate Space Zoos and save exotic space animals in Dr. Spacezoo, a time attack shoot-em-up jam packed with gibs and grease.
Early IndieQuilt version

Unnamed game - ????

Inner City Kids - PC, Mac, PS Vita
directlink_Bw3fvXcIAAEj3nN.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/inner-city-kids

Inner City Kids is a street culture themed turn based strategy game that follows a group of kids who, upon discovering that the city's adults are being kidnapped and replaced by robots every evening, team up to fight for their city.Explore the city and discover dangerous robot facilities deep underground.
Use the robots' own technology against them with a unique modular weapons system, giving thousands of different weapons and strategies.

Previously Mentioned

Switchcars

Secrets of Grindea - Free demo (PC)
DefensiveCrispCoqui.gif

http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/

Secrets of Grindea is an old-school RPG with co-op support for up to 4 players. It is a tribute to and sometimes a parody of the old SNES games so many of us grew up with and loved!

Last Defense - PC
ReflectingPeacefulFalcon.gif

http://brokenbeachuk.tumblr.com/

A hectic and colourful shooter inspired by Space Invaders. Shoot enemies out of the sky and juggle them to destroy them, or let them crash through your city and litter the floor with their wrecks.

Wolfhunted - ???
C1s7rGG.png

https://twitter.com/batfalcon_ent

A survival game with emphasis on atmosphere, but with some elements of simulation.

Previously Mentioned

Master Spy

Prisonscape

Twin Souls

Top Bottom