• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [September] Now Voting - Post 287!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
woah dude thanks for posting about this here!!! I was just about to post about it and decided to search first haha...

Been more than happy to spread the word! Thanks for responding to my request for the mac version of the PoA demo by the way, it seems like even in its old form it is helping people catch onto what they're getting into.

Calvino Noir - PC, IOS
PkokRK7.gif

http://calvinonoir.com

The film noir heist game
A 2.5D side-scrolling game where you will be required to use a mixture of playing styles including concealment, sneaking and distraction to solve puzzles against a beautiful 1930s inter-war backdrop. The strong noir visuals will be complemented by original narrative and dialogue that aims to rouse an emotive engagement to keep you hooked

Basement - The main idea is pretty simple, build more rooms to your illegal labs and produce the needed drugs, but I could have liked more I you have a way to "sell" or destroy labs that you don't need anymore, at least I didn't found a way to do it. In the end I had to restart the game two times because it became unresponsive, but it may be an issue my browser.

Extrasolar: Season 2 Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lazy8/extrasolar-season-2-be-a-part-of-the-story
Extrasolar season 2 will take place on an entirely new island -- an all new landscape, biosphere, and new lifeforms to discover. Season 1 ended with several unsolved mysteries, and we have lots to reveal about their origins and more questions to explore about the history of Epsilon Prime. We'll be continuing the stories of the characters from season 1 and introduce some new characters as well.
a266809649de7dff604d802571342bf2_large.jpg

Honestly, enjoyed my time with Extrasolar but unless they really mount up the level of interactivity in that world I don't really care to go back even with the lure of more story. The novelty of taking fake photos on fake Mars wore off long before the plot did, although I did enjoy moments like working out a particular rovers location by analyzing photos it took. More of that and less of 'drive to waypoint location and take photo' and I might be interested in seeing more of that world.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Honestly, enjoyed my time with Extrasolar but unless they really mount up the level of interactivity in that world I don't really care to go back even with the lure of more story. The novelty of taking fake photos on fake Mars wore off long before the plot did, although I did enjoy moments like working out a particular rovers location by analyzing photos it took. More of that and less of 'drive to waypoint location and take photo' and I might be interested in seeing more of that world.

I'd be fine with a more exciting location, some more landmarks than the first island and not just randomly scattered items.

Played a few games.

Uncanny Valley
iDDsiVBTkn2ay.gif

Play the demo. Gave me a mix of Lone Survivor and Neverending Nightmares vibes, along with a few startles. Looking forward to that consequence system where it's like Heavy Rain as the story continues past bad things.

Abstract Ritual
iiDGl3OI0Hmlq.gif

ih5BJqvZc6xsI.jpg

First person exploration thing, free. Reminded me of NaissanceE with the focus on architecture weirdness. The NPCs say some funny and cryptic things. I'm a human wearing an outrageous costume with a messed up face, apparently. Got to the second screen but didn't know what to do. No saves, so have to brute-force in one go some other time.

Paradigm
d7f4a7da55c5ca0366d84a94d73394e0_large.gif

I made a thread for it before. Definitely made by a big adventure game fan. Found it quite cheeky, with some great lines. Very oddly cool postapoc retro-futuristic world. Doug, drop me a phat beatsie!

OnPoint

Guys did you see Super World Karts? It's an indie mascot kart racer on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oneleggedseagull/super-world-karts-indie-kart-racer

I'm definitely thinking that with like 60 hours left, we can try to help them reach the $4,000 remaining. We've done it for other games and have been quite successful. Anyone else willing to help with me?

Yes Shutshimi will be included in the roster (no, we don't make any money off of it though), but even if it weren't I still think it looks awesome. The dev has no idea I'm up to this either

Guys did you see Super World Karts? It's an indie mascot kart racer on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oneleggedseagull/super-world-karts-indie-kart-racer

I'm definitely thinking that with like 60 hours left, we can try to help them reach the $4,000 remaining. We've done it for other games and have been quite successful. Anyone else willing to help with me?

Yes Shutshimi will be included in the roster (no, we don't make any money off of it though), but even if it weren't I still think it looks awesome. The dev has no idea I'm up to this either
Sure. I'm kind of busy now so I can't put together a thread, but if you're making one, I'll certainly bump it and try to get the dev onto GAF

Moobabe

I'm back from Cuba! Totally sick though, and also TOTALLY bummed out to be home - feel myself getting really down already.

ANYWAY - Destiny is out... there goes my free time! I'll try to play and post some impressions though!

New game from Chucklefish
http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=128

Wayward Tide - ????

Nice to see it announced, I remember when they mentioned there was a small team working in a pirate game.

I'm back from Cuba! Totally sick though, and also TOTALLY bummed out to be home - feel myself getting really down already.

ANYWAY - Destiny is out... there goes my free time! I'll try to play and post some impressions though!

Welcome back.

Moobabe

Welcome back.

Thanks man!

So some quick impressions on stuff what I've been playing.

Road Not Taken - Love the art, love the music, love the idea behind it. The game? Not so much. There's something super frustrating about the way you move the individual pieces to combine them, I wish you could simply rotate them instead of trialing and error(ing?) your way through the stages - especially with a move limit while carrying stuff.

Velocity 2X - I'll be brief since it has its own thread; this is legit. Better than the original in almost every conceivable way.

Behind You! - This is on Playstation Mobile so it's about as underground as you can get. It's a Metal Gear inspired game with a few short levels and some performance issues. However going back and playing MGS 2 and 3 I have to say that Behind You! has done a pretty good job modernising the controls.

Shadowgate - Not a fan at all. I suppose if I'd played the original I might be - but this is so obscure to the point of being offputting to all but the most diehard of fans. So many options to use each item on every single thing on your screen is not fun. I wish it was though - because I love the art and atmosphere.

Super interested to hear impressions on Salt, Dex, Hand of Fate and Mind: Path to Thalamus.

Cavern Kings - This is a solid game, the controls are simple but functional and the music is very well done evoking some Mega Man vibe. There are different weapons and upgrades you find through the game but your first weapon is always something that you'll use to dig through the levels, still talking about the weapons, they feel and play different from each other and it plus the different "digging" weapons you get at the start makes you change your approach against the enemies.

Highly recommended.

Shadowgate - Not a fan at all. I suppose if I'd played the original I might be - but this is so obscure to the point of being offputting to all but the most diehard of fans. So many options to use each item on every single thing on your screen is not fun. I wish it was though - because I love the art and atmosphere.
I swear I read some impressions from a diehard fan of Shadowgate that it wasn't even that good in that light. I forget who it was, or the reasoning as to why they didn't care for it, however.

Moobabe

I swear I read some impressions from a diehard fan of Shadowgate that it wasn't even that good in that light. I forget who it was, or the reasoning as to why they didn't care for it, however.

Oh wow, really? Sucks - because I admire a lot of what they went for, just didn't enjoy it very much.

Huh, did you guys know that the dev of Gateways and Adventures of Shuggy had a new game out? Came out in May actually

Growing Pains - $4.99 (PC)
ss_582a9a31e6e9ce4e8a5328fbadce27cfa5a2faeb.600x338.jpg

http://www.smudgedcat.com/growingpains.htm

Growing Pains is a fast and furious platformer which gives the genre a shake up with psychedelic graphics, a thumping soundtrack and an ingenious twist. The "Vessel" continually grows and expands leaving you in a permanent race to escape the area before you find your butt wedged in a tight spot.

mbpm1

I thought it was just me being bad at thinking. There are so many options, and a lot of nonobvious solutions

Have $15 in my Steam wallet and I'm trying to decide between Darkwood, Road Not Taken, and Hack N Slash.

Darkwood sounds intense and atmospheric, and I enjoy taking part in Early Access. Road Not Taken has a lovely art style and sounds like an awesome mix of roguelike and puzzle mechanics. Hack N Slash just sounds so intriguing and unique, but the criticism of the endgame sounds worrisome (becomes too complex and obtuse, without enough explanations for those without much or any programming knowledge)

Any thoughts?

Edit: decided to go with Darkwood. The atmosphere looks so tense and unsettling, the gameplay sound frantic and thrilling. Will be sure to post impressions once I give it a try

bokkengro

Neo Member
Have $15 in my Steam wallet and I'm trying to decide between Darkwood, Road Not Taken, and Hack N Slash.
Any thoughts?

Road Not Taken was charming, pretty good and occasionally frustrating. The core mechanic involves manipulating objects around a board with limited space -- you move objects to get them out of the way; to group them together in order to open doors (e.g., group 6 bears together to open the south door); or to combine them into other objects (e.g., axe + tree = log, log + log = fire). You also have to manage your energy -- moving objects and taking damage use up some energy, and if you run out of energy you die. The goal is to save at least half the children from the forest each year, and to survive for 15 progressively difficult years.

I played for about 20 hours, and after I beat the game twice and unlocked most of the secrets, I did not feel compelled to play more. I disliked how some of the later levels felt like clutter management -- there were too many objects on the board to deal with, and I had to spend a lot of time/energy clearing them out before I could reach the door/child. Also, although the levels are randomly generated, they did not feel all that different between play-throughs.

Overall, it's a pretty good game, but I don't know that this game is worth $15 to me. I have not played the other two games though, so I don't know what I would recommend.

mantrakid

Yo dudes, been a while ive been crazy busy with dev and administration and marketing stuff, but I wanted to give you a shout out and let you know that Cosmochoria will be hitting Steam Early Access in a couple weeks - September 29th at 9am PST.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293240

ce0ee402ec9fd766747d9120165f59b1_large.jpg

It'll be $9.99 on early access, but the first week will be reduced by 10%

Huge love to all you guys and girls for your support.

Been playing the hell out of Ziggurat lately. It's only been a month since it released and it has changed a ton. Just looking at their news feed on Steam will show that they have been super busy. There has been at least one major patch each week since it released.

rybrad

Been playing the hell out of Ziggurat lately. It's only been a month since it released and it has changed a ton. Just looking at their news feed on Steam will show that they have been super busy. There has been at least one major patch each week since it released.
Ziggurat is great and as you said, they have been excellent about updates. I had never even heard of the game until the batch it got Greenlit in so score one for Greenlight I guess.

Ziggurat is great and as you said, they have been excellent about updates. I had never even heard of the game until the batch it got Greenlit in so score one for Greenlight I guess.
Is it just a Quake-esque shooter with a fantasy aesthetic or do the magic and spells and fantasy theme add to the gameplay in interesting ways?

rybrad

Is it just a Quake-esque shooter with a fantasy aesthetic or do the magic and spells and fantasy theme add to the gameplay in interesting ways?
The magic (for the most part) feels a whole lot like various guns and grenades. The standard roguelite gameplay applies with leveling and powerups during your run and progress or certain milestones unlocking new items for the pool similar to Binding of Isaac. Out of all of the FPS roguelites that have come out over the last year or so (Tower of Guns, Fancy Skulls, Paranautical Activity), I have enjoyed Ziggurat the most. I think it does a better job of capturing the "one more run" feeling that good roguelite games can bring. The fantasy styling is well done and I enjoy the aesthetic so that is a big boon for me.

All that said, I wish the magic felt a little more like spells but I understand why they went the fast paced "gun" route and I don't feel like it does the game a significant disservice.

Played Darkwood for little over an hour. Definitely made the right choice, this game is great. The sound design, man, nothing else I've played since perhaps Capsule has had an atmosphere that benefited so much from the sound. The drawn-out screech as you drag a wardrobe over to block an opening. The creek of an opening door. The heft of your swings when you swing. Your panting breath as your stamina drops. The otherworldly moans and guttural sounds out there in the darkness. It adds so much to the tension and tone

The game is weird and eerie and atmospheric and scary. The opening just feels off (in a good way), really sets the mood. Combat is fast but also tense, as you need to be mindful of your stamina and each swing takes time. The attention to detail here is wonderful: the soft flickering of the oven pilot light, your character's animations as he clambers over a fence or readies his weapon, the trail of blood in your wake when you're bleeding from a wound, the daylight fading away as night comes

You feel desperate and alone, barely equipped with a shovel and a few bear traps as the night falls and your single flare sputters out. Pushing furniture in front of doorways and openings, using your meager supplies to barricade windows. This is true survival horror

Haven't explored much and only encountered like two enemies, but everything so far has been very impressive and very promising.

4PM is a bit heavy-handed near the end and amateurish in production values although good voice acting, but it's worth playing if you're interested in a game with cool full body awareness and a short dramatic game about an alcoholic gal (screen is blurry throughout). 30 min long, there are a few choices at the end. Made a playthrough video of it.
iXtVpQeg37Nme.gif

i9rSorqJFXXVX.png

Was tempted to get Monochroma when I saw it in a shop...
BxZ62lPIQAA9hjg.jpg:large

Any impressions?

Could you guys give this a try? Game's short, 20-40 minutes, and it's the dev's first project. He's just looking for impressions and feedback, and more people just trying his game

Terrance the Flying Eyeball - Free (Browser)
BxDFiqqIMAA2FAy.jpg

http://aidenbainsgames.itch.io/terrance-the-flying-eyeball

Play as a disembodied eyeball, called Terrance, who is forced by fate to complete a set of dangerous challenges involving bouncing off surfaces, breaking glass tubes, and dodging plasma projectiles, in order to feel content and satisfied with life.

Played Darkwood for little over an hour. Definitely made the right choice, this game is great. The sound design, man, nothing else I've played since perhaps Capsule has had an atmosphere that benefited so much from the sound. The drawn-out screech as you drag a wardrobe over to block an opening. The creek of an opening door. The heft of your swings when you swing. Your panting breath as your stamina drops. The otherworldly moans and guttural sounds out there in the darkness. It adds so much to the tension and tone

The game is weird and eerie and atmospheric and scary. The opening just feels off (in a good way), really sets the mood. Combat is fast but also tense, as you need to be mindful of your stamina and each swing takes time. The attention to detail here is wonderful: the soft flickering of the oven pilot light, your character's animations as he clambers over a fence or readies his weapon, the trail of blood in your wake when you're bleeding from a wound, the daylight fading away as night comes

You feel desperate and alone, barely equipped with a shovel and a few bear traps as the night falls and your single flare sputters out. Pushing furniture in front of doorways and openings, using your meager supplies to barricade windows. This is true survival horror

Haven't explored much and only encountered like two enemies, but everything so far has been very impressive and very promising.
ibBP0NGiuOo56.gif

Sounds up my alley.

Top Bottom