• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [September] Now Voting - Post 287!

Really good, apparently. I'm watching the GB QL right now and the game looks kinda amazing.
I was ready to buy HnS, but then saw there was been a ton of criticism on how the last act is so hard and complex, without enough explanations or adequate tutorials that even an actual programmer was having trouble
Yeah, once the game opens up the coding side of it, it goes full hog. I’m a programmer and even then I have trouble interpreting all the code. It does not help that soon you’re cross-referencing multiple scripts in search of variables you can change to achieve the intended result.

The other problem is that often it’s not clear what you’re supposed to do. I took an inordinate amount of time in the “hack the planet” puzzle because I couldn’t figure out what the output was supposed to be, since as far as the debug tool told me, it wasn’t connected to anything.

So, this room has a
clock that, once triggered, crashes the game within 5 seconds
. In order to solve this room you need to
hack a door that gives gives you access to the game’s file system
, look up the code for this particular room, pick it up, access it, and then search 10 different scripts, many of which reference others, for a way to solve it.

The solution itself is fairly simple, but finding it can be a small nightmare if you start looking on the wrong scripts

And then, four acts in, it lives up to my initial fear, and suddenly splurges a whole new set of rules on you with impenetrable explanation. The wonderful world of programming. Firstly, the explanations only appear once, and secondly, they’re so packed with irrelevant jokes that noticing what you actually need to fathom is a real pain. Thirdly, they’re terrible explanations. You’re trying to program the code behind the ports you’ve previously been hacking, following various logic gates and so forth, but it’s so esoteric, and so poorly elucidated, that I was immediately frustrated.

daydream

Banned
I was ready to buy HnS, but then saw there was been a ton of criticism on how the last act is so hard and complex, without enough explanations or adequate tutorials that even an actual programmer was having trouble

I have zero programming knowledge but that sounds like Fez-level of mystery right there. I'm down.

Edit: Ah yeah, they're totally talking about the big twist in the game, comparable to the inverted castle in SOTN or something like that. To me, that's a huge plus.

That game sounds nuuuuuuts.

And I just read that Spacebase thread...didn't even make it passed the first page before someone called all EA games a scam.

Crom

Unfortunate news about Spacebase, more ammo for the "Early Access is a scam" crowd. Well, happy i held off from purchasing. Game seemed interesting but I already had Prison Architect and RimWorld to keep me occupied

Roundabout releasing today, anyone checking that out?

Roundabout is garbage. Save yourself the money. I'd rather play the game that they ripped off - KuruKuru Kururin

My new game, Heat Signature, now has art and music!
Look at it!
Listen to it!
Follow it!

Bx0s0RKIMAEZ_Xi.png:large

Tom Francis's new game is coming along nicely.

daydream

Banned
Roundabout is painfully bad. Avoid. The novelty wears off really fast.

Could you elaborate a bit? We've seen this kind of gameplay before so it's not exactly novel.

One thing I found very jarring are the cutscenes involving the driver (and I'm basing this off of Giantbomb's QL EX). Her reaction shots just have a bunch of dead air while her faces aren't really expressive/funny enough to make it worth it. Also, having the gameplay interrupted by FMV all the time is not ideal, I would have preferred that stuff to happen while you continue driving (because I think the core element of comedy FMV is not a bad one).

Decided to get See No Evil. I had been interested in the game during its Kickstarter but hadn't backed it. There weren't many reviews but the ones that were there were all very positive about the game. Considering the theme, I had some expectations that the game would be stealthy, but rather the focus is definitely on the puzzles.

Basically the game is set in a society whose inhabitants willingly gave up sight generations ago; those who choose to see are now considered outcasts. Your character opens his eyes after a dead body lands beside him; you take his journal embark on a journey. The music and poetic prose sets the dark ominous tone nicely.

The game's mechanics revolve around sound. Enemies can't see you, but they certainly hear and later smell you. Sound waves radiate from footsteps and you can shout to make enemies rush towards your position. These elements are combined with mechanics such as sound-deadening carpets, horns that redirect your shouts, switches and retracting barriers, timed turrets, piles of waste that cause you to leave smelly enemy-attacks footprints in your wake, and more.

I've played for about an hour so far, and according to the developer and other impressions, the game is about 6-7 hours long, which isn't bad for a puzzle game. There's also a new game plus that adds new puzzles and a prologue chapter with a new mechanic and makes all the levels more challenging.

ss_2cec6361eb1d46f57ceea019af2b56c2ec0fea1b.1920x1080.jpg

Could you elaborate a bit? We've seen this kind of gameplay before so it's not exactly novel.

One thing I found very jarring are the cutscenes involving the driver (and I'm basing this off of Giantbomb's QL EX). Her reaction shots just have a bunch of dead air while her faces aren't really expressive/funny enough to make it worth it. Also, having the gameplay interrupted by FMV all the time is not ideal, I would have preferred that stuff to happen while you continue driving (because I think the core element of comedy FMV is not a bad one).

You are right about the FMV. the reactions are not funny. It is dead air. The dialogue isn;t funny. It seems like a bad homemade youtube movie but not in a good way.

The game itself extremely repetitive as you move between the same type of obstacles over and over. The challenges are lame and feel way outdated. There was no substance to them at all. It doesn't make me want to replay a mission for a high score at all. It feels like there is no incentive.

I know this is indie so I should be more forgiving but for as much as they charge for the game it should be enjoyable and not a chore to play. I did not enjoy it at all and hoped that it would pick up. It is just more of the same throughout.

The dull reactions of the kids (in a certain FMV) were about the only thing that was amusing to me and for that little bit of amusement it isn't worth the money at all.

daydream

Banned
You are right about the FMV. the reactions are not funny. It is dead air. The dialogue isn;t funny. It seems like a bad homemade youtube movie but not in a good way.

The game itself extremely repetitive as you move between the same type of obstacles over and over. The challenges are lame and feel way outdated. There was no substance to them at all. It doesn't make me want to replay a mission for a high score at all. It feels like there is no incentive.

I know this is indie so I should be more forgiving but for as much as they charge for the game it should be enjoyable and not a chore to play. I did not enjoy it at all and hoped that it would pick up. It is just more of the same throughout.

The dull reactions of the kids (in a certain FMV) were about the only thing that was amusing to me and for that little bit of amusement it isn't worth the money at all.

That cleared things up, thanks! Bummer about the game.

Decided to get See No Evil. I had been interested in the game during its Kickstarter but hadn't backed it. There weren't many reviews but the ones that were there were all very positive about the game. Considering the theme, I had some expectations that the game would be stealthy, but rather the focus is definitely on the puzzles.

Basically the game is set in a society whose inhabitants willingly gave up sight generations ago; those who choose to see are now considered outcasts. Your character opens his eyes after a dead body lands beside him; you take his journal embark on a journey. The music and poetic prose sets the dark ominous tone nicely.

The game's mechanics revolve around sound. Enemies can't see you, but they certainly hear and later smell you. Sound waves radiate from footsteps and you can shout to make enemies rush towards your position. These elements are combined with mechanics such as sound-deadening carpets, horns that redirect your shouts, switches and retracting barriers, timed turrets, piles of waste that cause you to leave smelly enemy-attacks footprints in your wake, and more.

I've played for about an hour so far, and according to the developer and other impressions, the game is about 6-7 hours long, which isn't bad for a puzzle game. There's also a new game plus that adds new puzzles and a prologue chapter with a new mechanic and makes all the levels more challenging.

So, what's the (early) verdict? I've had this game on my watchlist.

That cleared things up, thanks! Bummer about the game.

So, what's the (early) verdict? I've had this game on my watchlist.
I feel I should play more before giving a verdict, but the first hour has been enjoyable. Some of the levels have been more tutorial levels, but the difficulty is gradually rising. I like the art style and the different mechanics are pretty interesting; I could see how later puzzles can be quite challenging when more of the elements are combined.

I'll post some more decisive impressions once I'm further into the game

Here are some reviews that convinced me:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/08/29/review-see-no-evil/101071/
http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/see-no-evil-pc/
http://www.gamezone.com/reviews/2014/09/06/see-no-evil-review-a-darker-puzzle-game

rybrad

So the Chasm alpha came out today for Kickstarter backers (of the appropriate tier) and it is excellent so far, especially for an alpha. It borrows heavily from Dark Souls on mechanics (level at bonfires, money is xp, drop all your money on death with one chance to recover, etc.) which I actually found to be really fun. If you like the sound of a Dark Souls-ish, 2D, procedurally generated, metroidvania platformer then I would highly recommend keeping an eye on it when it hits general Early Access.

Screenshots in case you aren't sure what the game is.

alllen

Neo Member
Going to offer a different opinion about Roundabout, I'm quite enjoying it.

It's not blowing my socks off or anything but I love the cheesy 70s aesthetic and FMVs. The fact that they're so poorly acted just adds to the charm, I find that hilarious. It's definitely not trying to take itself serious, so you probably shouldn't take them serious either. If you do you're probably not going to have a good time, and if you don't you might find some humor in them.

The art style is solid and the music is pretty good too. It definitely fits the style they were going for. And the story with its various sub-plots has kept my attention so far. Nothing amazing, but it's all charming in its own way. I'm eager to see what's going to happen next.

The gameplay is a mixed bag. I've only played about an hour and a half of it and haven't tired of the main mechanic yet, but it's not something you would want to play for long gameplay sessions. A few games here and there, 30 minutes at time is a perfect session length for this. There are some challenge missions to break things up, different abilities you can unlock, and tons of collectibles and cosmetic unlockables. Like the other guy said the challenge missions aren't mind-blowing, but they're nice distractions. I thought it was fun trying to improve my scores in them, but if self improvement isn't your thing they won't be too attractive for you.

Definitely worth it for the price (11.99 until 9/25). A solid casual puzzle game with a nice presentation.

Worth it for someone who was really enjoying Endless Space until the combat component had to kick in and ruin it all?

I'm starting a new campaign right now and so far the combat doesn't looks bad, you still can put your armies to automatically fight or set them manually. I still need to play more to fully understand the combat though.

Worth it for someone who was really enjoying Endless Space until the combat component had to kick in and ruin it all?

The combat in Legend can be a little slow and the AI is a little moronic at times, but overall I've found it to be leaps better then the rock,paper, scissors minigame that was in Endless Space. If you are looking for a deep combat focused 4x then Endless Legend isn't that, but if you are up for a 'fantasy version of Endless Space game where you don't want to just automate all the combat in the game and never deal with it again' then I can recommend Endless Legend.

Any thoughts on Heavy Bullets? I've heard good things from a few others, but idk, the screenshots and videos don't hook me the way that Fancy Skulls and Tower of Guns did

daydream

Banned
I played Lion's Song which I really enjoyed. It's very short so everyone should play it. I found one text prompt to be very out of place but, well, it's a Game Jam game so they probably missed it. Spoilers for the "endgame":
On the third day there's a storm outside and Wilma is afraid and scared. When you examine the window, though, she says that she likes the sound of the rain against the glass.
But yeah, otherwise, it's quite evocative and the different dialogue options make multiple playthroughs possible.

I also tried Roguelight. I don't know what it is about this guy's games but I really can't enjoy them the way other people do (see my impressions for Javel-ein in one of these threads). I only tried the game because I'm a sucker for the Gameboy aesthetic and sure enough, I didn't have a great time with the game itself. Whereas something like Spelunky pulls off the "dark area" conceit really well (in a roguelike environment, no less), this game doesn't feel fair in the slightest in that regard. You have to go further down eventually which means jumping into the darkness and, more often than not, jumping on some monster (or whatever it is that's in the dark because hey, you can't see a thing). Same thing goes for arrows - you either get lucky and run into them in some dark corner or you don't.

bokkengro

Neo Member
Metrocide is getting close to release

Metrocide - October (PC)
ss_9a5dc2bd66a67f400d232d693526d5dcaaa22490.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313130/

Metrocide is a cyberpunk top-down stealth action game. "You play as a contract killer: the notorious T.J. Trench. You will have to negotiate a fierce and brutal city replete with gangs, vigilantes, cops and more, taking out the trash one contract at a time. While cop drones circle overhead, you’ll be sticking to the alleyways with a variety of weapons and plantable explosives finding new and unique ways to get away with murder most foul."

Moobabe

I think so - Dungeon is still my favourite Amplitude game, but Endless Legend is, I think, better than Space. Great soundtrack too.

So the Chasm alpha came out today for Kickstarter backers (of the appropriate tier) and it is excellent so far, especially for an alpha. It borrows heavily from Dark Souls on mechanics (level at bonfires, money is xp, drop all your money on death with one chance to recover, etc.) which I actually found to be really fun. If you like the sound of a Dark Souls-ish, 2D, procedurally generated, metroidvania platformer then I would highly recommend keeping an eye on it when it hits general Early Access.

Screenshots in case you aren't sure what the game is.

Cannot wait for this. Did I read right that it's coming to PS4 and Vita?

Also I had no idea about that Spacebase stuff until I just read it in here, then subsequently checked out the thread.

What a bummer.

It's the first EA title I feel like I've been let down by - I might see if I can get a refund actually. I suspect I won't be able to "You knew what you were buying into" etc - I was hoping for an easier to play entry into the Dwarf Fortress genre but, well, it's kind of not very good and completely short of their roadmap for the game.

Also my girlfriend has left for uni (boo, hiss, beginning of the end etc) so I'm going to take my mind of that by playing every (free) game in the OP and not play any more shitey RNG, no drop, no content, no matchmaking Destiny.

I'll probably play some Destiny

Another KS success this month: TinyKeep is finished and the dev plans to have it out by the end of September

Nice!

I also tried Roguelight. I don't know what it is about this guy's games but I really can't enjoy them the way other people do (see my impressions for Javel-ein in one of these threads). I only tried the game because I'm a sucker for the Gameboy aesthetic and sure enough, I didn't have a great time with the game itself. Whereas something like Spelunky pulls off the "dark area" conceit really well (in a roguelike environment, no less), this game doesn't feel fair in the slightest in that regard. You have to go further down eventually which means jumping into the darkness and, more often than not, jumping on some monster (or whatever it is that's in the dark because hey, you can't see a thing). Same thing goes for arrows - you either get lucky and run into them in some dark corner or you don't.

Did you buy the upgrades?

Metrocide is getting close to release

Metrocide - October (PC)

I hope it turns out good.

daydream

Banned
Did you buy the upgrades?

Yeah, but they felt like a really artificial addition. Something like Spelunky manages to do without anything like that, and, well, something like Rogue Legacy is just more fun and varied.

I realise I'm being a bit harsh, haha. This guy's games just rub me the wrong way, for some reason.

Moobabe

Yeah, but they felt like a really artificial addition. Something like Spelunky manages to do without anything like that, and, well, something like Rogue Legacy is just more fun and varied.

I realise I'm being a bit harsh, haha. This guy's games just rub me the wrong way, for some reason.

I'm the opposite! I completed The Sun and Moon and Javel-ein (eventually) and I'm gonna sit down and play this over the weekend. He just gets it.

Paskil

Renowned Explorers: International Society and Calvino Noir both look and sound really good to me. Kudos on another fantastic thread.

Hunter's Tale - PC
directlink_Z1Wbys.jpg

http://hunterstale.wix.com/game

Hunter's Tale is an old fashioned action RPG in pixelart settled in a world filled with strange looking creatures. Our challenge was to have a sidescrolling game that would have focused on tactical fights and exploration: using depth allowed us (and the player) to move freely around the environment, and areas are designed to contain also hidden areas and paths.

Shadow Puppeteer - September 29th (PC)
directlink_Bx_jBR1IAAE7Ihq.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://shadowpuppeteer.com/

Manipulate light and darkness in this co-op puzzle platformer Shadow Puppeteer combines platforming with puzzle-solving in a play of light and shadow. Having a truly Nordic yet original art style, the game tells the story of a boy and his shadow.

Modulus - ????
directlink_ByAIVgHCAAA0Se5.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

https://twitter.com/TMC_LordVTP

A space RTS with player designed units and dynamic destruction

Kidnapped - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
directlink_ByAEPS8IAAAxXWe.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://deceptive-games.com/1/kidnapped.html

Waking up cold and alone, you've been 'Kidnapped'. Traverse through a spooky two hundred year old manor, dark damp caves, an eerie forest full of wildlife and more. Kidnapped is a psychological story-driven adventure horror game, with a great emphasis on exploration, puzzle solving and combat. More than fifty percent of the objects in the game world can be interacted with, whether examined, used, or picked up. Kidnapped dynamically changes the game world as the player progresses, and aims to unnerve the player constantly. Can you find the mystery behind your captivity and most importantly, can you escape this ordeal?

Through Time - PC
directlink_Bx_u4WVCAAAqmhH.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/through-time

Through Time follows an agency that can be dated back to the start of mankind. They recruit humans with a specific brain power, a power that can't be controlled unless tamed by this agency.
You play as one of the recruits as he attempts to explore dangerous, yet exciting scenarios that the mind can imagine. Using your jumping skills and the ability to slow time you will navigate places like, The Ancient Underground Egyptian Temple, or the Islands Of The Sky.

Previously Mentioned

Neptune, Have Mercy

Flagship

Beast: Feral Umbra - ????
directlink_Bx_sNVeIQAEoewj.png%3Alarge.png

https://twitter.com/LewisCrossArt

An atmospheric Limbo-inspired project

Galactic Parcel Service - Free demo (PC, Browser)
directlink_Bx_mN0ICQAA_ihK.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://ignisstudios.com/gps/

Space is huge, but that hasn’t reduced people’s needs for a speedy parcel delivery service. Protect your cargo, manage your clients’ happiness, and get packages to their destination before time runs out.

Shallow Space - PC, Mac, Linux
directlink_Bx_kkj3IIAA2cdR.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://shallow-space.com/

Shallow Space is a 3D Real Time Strategy game inspired by Nexus: The Jupiter incident and Homeworld.
Command elements of the Terran Confederate Navy’s Gamma fleet as you dominate sectors of space tending to both random encounters and storyline missions. Mine resources to advance your capital ships, engage your capital ships in combat to improve your officer’s skills and produce smaller ships to compliment your fleet.

Bonfire - $9.95, Free demo (PC, Mac)
BonfireAttack.gif

http://moacube.com/games/bonfire/

Bonfire is a lightweight tactical RPG with strong roguelike influences that respects your time… and hates your guts.

Graywalkers: Purgatory - PC, Mac, Linux
14i5dSL.jpg

http://www.graywalkers.com/

A 3rd person role-playing game with strategic and tactical elements. You can toggle between Isometric and Perspective views.

Previously Mentioned

Neonstruct

Mighty Tactical Shooter

Skyhill

RK3000
DeadRectangularAsianelephant.gif

http://primaerfunktion.de/rk3000/

RK3000 is a city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords. Two of the key freatures are local multiplayer (up to four players) and a map editor.

Ingonga - ????
directlink_Bx_Mg1QCEAAet82.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.heykiddogames.com/games

Ingonga is about exploration and immersion in unfamiliar environments - blighted, rotting swamps, an old decrepit mansion in the bayou, and ancient, crumbling catacombs. Your means of defense are limited, hiding and running are your best tools. Enemies are inspired by creatures and stories from the Vodoun and Yoruba culture

The Tales of Quilia - PC
directlink_Bx7XhtaCQAAazO9.png%3Alarge.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=288526107

The Tales of Quilia is an indie hack&slash RPG game

Previously Mentioned

Before

Project Giants

Wok

IGF China 2014 reveals Main Competition and Student finalists.

Main Competition
  • Battle Group 2, by Bane Games, Australia
  • Duet, by Kumobius, Australia
  • Ghost Blade, by Yushi Games, China
  • King's League: Odyssey, by Kurechii, Malaysia
  • Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, by Zenith Blue, Japan
  • Nom Nom Galaxy, by Q-Games, Japan
  • Sumoman, by Tequilabyte Studio, Russia
  • Zombie Commando, by Pixel Nuts Games, China
Student
  • Team Boss, by NYU Game Center, China
  • Iris, by DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore, Singapore
  • Shadow of Life, by C4Cat, Hongkong, China
  • Lurking, by DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore, Singapore
  • Xi, by Communication University of China, Nanjing, China
  • Meowchine Mayhem, by DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore, Singapore

http://igf.com/2014/09/igf_china_2014_reveals_main_co.html

koma

I was at GameOver Expo in Milan (Italy) yesterday, a little indie expo for games and electronic music, and i was able to play some nice projects, these were my favorite:

Bosqo: an interactive musical garden, an exploration game merging sounds and shapes. Players experience the unusual feeling of not being in control, while trying to discover and understand the rules of the ecosystem. http://bosqo.tumblr.com/

CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET: A visual novel inspired by the works of Jheronimus Bosch, awesome art and an interesting story. You can play "episode zero" for free: http://goo.gl/LDnMcc + http://www.wearemuesli.it/CAVE-CAVE-DEUS-VIDET

Little Briar Rose: a point-and-click adventure game inspired by “The Sleeping Beauty” and beautiful art, you can download and play the first version for free, they are currently working on a new, expanded version http://www.littlebriarrose.com/

Moobabe

And the cycle continues:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/227680/announcements/detail/220997627223009697
Now, with Starforge. Updating to 1.0, but the comments say the game doesn't seem finished at all. "Further updates will depend on future sales of the game."

What a bummer - I saw this one coming though, the game has been pretty rubbish since it was put on steam and this isn't a surprise at all.

I was at GameOver Expo in Milan (Italy) yesterday, a little indie expo for games and electronic music, and i was able to play some nice projects, these were my favorite:

Little Briar Rose: a point-and-click adventure game inspired by “The Sleeping Beauty” and beautiful art, you can download and play the first version for free, they are currently working on a new, expanded version http://www.littlebriarrose.com/

This looks fantastic!

Absolute Drift - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Donut.gif

http://www.indiedb.com/games/absolute-drift

Absolute Drift is a car drifting/gymkhana game set in a minimal 3D world. The core-mechanic is simply controlling the car while it is sliding sideways. The aim is to increase your skill to the point that you are a master driver by competing in events where you must perform tricks around obstacles and demonstrate your driving skill.

Edge of Eternity - 2015 (PC, Mac, Linux)
directlink_ByDMKL5IAAAlhxT.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.eoegame.com/

Edge of Eternity is a Space J-RPG with a turn based combat system.
Through mysteries and softness, you will join in a very exciting adventure of action, explorations, revelations and unexpected situations.
The action takes place in a world whose design combines futuristic influences, best Japanese RPGs influences and Medieval age influences.

Pilgrim's Path - ????
directlink_ByCII24CYAE1KOq.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.spaceargonauts.com/pilgrims-path/

Pilgrim's Path is a 2D platform game where you control a creature who fights for a symbolic goal. The way your character personality is developing trough the game is depends on how you face the obstacles in your way. Are you willing to make efforts to get trough or your aim for quick success?

Buildanauts - PC, Mac, Linux
CoolMediocreEmperorshrimp.gif

http://www.indiedb.com/games/buildanauts

In BUILDANAUTS, you’re the foreman, the city planner, and the mayor of the town of your dreams. Plan your town, then bring it to life with the help of your construction crew. Build a town that your townsfolk, the Buildanites, will be proud to call home!

Previously Mentioned

Interstellaria

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Heard nothing but good things about it - I might even pick it up for that price

I really.. uhm... its so hard to say, but I really miss the direction in the game design. It has a great foundation, but its just missing so much ... content and I dont think it works quite that well as an endless game.

Moobabe

I really.. uhm... its so hard to say, but I really miss the direction in the game design. It has a great foundation, but its just missing so much ... content and I dont think it works quite that well as an endless game.

Has it changed at all since launch? I think I remember reading your impressions at the time

Top Bottom