• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [September] Now Voting - Post 287!

The Masterplan is great. I finally heisted the Minimart without killing anyone. Watched the pattern of the clerk going to the bathroom and then had two of my guys waiting there. Held him up with a pistol while the other knocked him unconscious. Locked the customers in the backroom. Stole everything and walked right out the front door. Professionals don't leave bodies.

Moobabe

The Masterplan is great. I finally heisted the Minimart without killing anyone. Watched the pattern of the clerk going to the bathroom and then had two of my guys waiting there. Held him up with a pistol while the other knocked him unconscious. Locked the customers in the backroom. Stole everything and walked right out the front door. Professionals don't leave bodies.

I am disastrously bad at The Masterplan - which I kind of love. Mishaps, panicked gunshots, people sprinting around trying to call the police and my crooks leaving cash all over the floor and diving into the van before the police arrive.

Professionals don't leave bodies.

Idiots do :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
OP impressions! (I know, I know. I am a bit late to the party. Hope someone is still interested in reading these). I normally using new images, but I am a lazy bum atm, so you gotta deal with some identical images :p

Awe
directlink_BwSTmbNCEAEbyxa.png%3Alarge.png
Very interesting concept for a cooperative experience. You click on visual patterns to discover the behaviour of the world and then little by little shape that planet into your own tool box of sounds and patterns. Cute if you play it with yourself, but I was lucky enough to try it with a random stranger online, and it really manages to share that small piece of.. wonder you have with working with a complete stranger to achieve a similar goal. Very neat little experimental game.

Basement
Breaking bad drug selling simulator. Interesting theme, but the actual gameplay is pretty similar to most of these "build more to increase your income, which allows you to build more"-games. Might be more interesting eventually, but for now its only an thematically interesting themed concept.

Bear Hero
Very good stuff. Currently still in early version, so it has some polish/repetition/content issues, but its a very challenging and charming action roguelike. The more I played it, the more it grew on me, from the charming way to decide your character (by picking picture cards) to the enemy design and actual combat. I see a ton of promise in this one.

Bedrock
Another coop game, but feels a bit like a one trick pony, in that its interesting to play around with the different characters/have people playing it relying on each other, but then not providing really that much interest content to actually play. Still early version though, might become better eventually, but I dont have high hopes since its too much of a niche to put serious dev time and a community behind it.

Bond
Pretty simple platformer, in which you switch between two characters and their own abilities. Rather unimaginative level design and it doesnt play that well either because the controls feel a bit loose. Might be worth a playthrough though if you are in a mood for a simplistic platformer.

Cavern Kings
Another sweet action roguelike, but a bit further into development than Bear Hero. You can also find upgrades, that adjust your own abilities (more double jumps, leaving a trail of fire, etcpp), which reminds me a lot of Binding of Isaac in that regard. My only concern for now is the design of each "cavern", but its incredibly fun to play once all hell breaks loose.

Copy Kitty
Crazy platforming shmup. The level design is a bit bland, but the powerups and pure visual feedback on the action is very engaging. It really is a shame that I dont have any particular "reason" to play it and master its mechanics because there doesnt seem to be any interesting progress or varied content. You really need a controller for this too.

Crunch Time
Really interestingly themed card game, which tasks you to improve or block development processes. Fun descriptions too and generally the great base of a fun game, but unfortunately... it misses the actual gameplay for now. The game mechanics arent deep enough and the balance of the game is all kinds of screwed. Really wish it was better balanced, but fun to play around with it for a while.

Cubus Puram
Very smart puzzle game that has more ideas than I thought at first. Seem like a pretty simple "fill all spaces"-type of game, but eventually adds more and more elements to the levels like teleports, sliding paths, multiple entry spaces and more. Not super hard, but still challenging and interesting enough to come highly recommended.

Even the Stars
Serene exploration game. There isnt much of a "game" here, but it gives a rather satisfying feeling in the beginning. Unfortunately, that doesnt work for long since there isnt too much variety too it. Still a lovely experiment though that allows you to write logs for your travels and gives you a reminder of your short journey afterwards.
I found Space Cows and died happily.

Farewell, Brother
Very simple vs game. I could see a collection of such simple vs games (ala warioware) that you play in quick fire succession being really successful. Unfortunately, the game isnt really much on its own.

Gang Beasts
Impressions only from the Beta/Alpha, but I just couldnt find the fun in this. Considering its sold for 20$, I have no way of recommending this game to anyone, but I know plenty of others here enjoyed it. Maybe its just me, but the mechanics seem uninteresting, the controls floaty and unsatisfying and there just is no... point in playing it. Comapred to games like Nidhogg which are very skillful, this just seems random. I can see it being quick fun if you poke around with a few friends, though.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
Cavern Kings
Cubus Puram

>----------< Recommended >----------<
Bear Hero
Awe
Even the Stars

>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
Copy Kitty
Basement
Gang Beasts
Crunch Time
Farewell, Brother
Bond

>----------< Bleh >----------<
Bedrock

daydream

Banned
You guys have played it in local multiplayer, though? Because I can see the game being very disappointing as a single-player experience.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You guys have played it in local multiplayer, though? Because I can see the game being very disappointing as a single-player experience.

I tried it with a friend. We loved Towerfall (which I didnt expect to like as much), we liked Nidhogg, but Gang Beasts just felt... boring?

daydream

Banned
I tried it with a friend. We loved Towerfall (which I didnt expect to like as much), we liked Nidhogg, but Gang Beasts just felt... boring?

This is not on you, of course, but I think four players are kinda required. Not enough mayhem otherwise.

This is not on you, of course, but I think four players are kinda required. Not enough mayhem otherwise.

In the office we play non-stop Towerfall on our free time, with Sportsfriends and Lethal League as secondary options. Gang Beasts provides plenty of laughs the first 2 or 3 days, but gets old quickly with no content and almost none strategy. I expect them to add some interesting features in the future or I don't see myself playing again soon.

In other news, the development of Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows keeps progressing. We expect to have a playable alpha by November and we are thinking about selling early alpha keys or something let people start creating levels in the mission editor among other stuff. I spent last week porting everything to Unity 5, testing the game on Xbox One and improving graphic fidelity (rim lighting and specular). Here's the new main character in the engine:

daydream

Banned
In the office we play non-stop Towerfall on our free time, with Sportsfriends and Lethal League as secondary options. Gang Beasts provides plenty of laughs the first 2 or 3 days, but gets old quickly with no content and almost none strategy. I expect them to add some interesting features in the future or I don't see myself playing again soon.

Hm, sure, I guess everybody has its MP favourites. Personally, I think Towerfall, while still good, is by far the weakest of the bunch and I prefer most other indie couch games released in the last few years.

Oh, and I don't disagree, at all, that Sportsfriends and Lethal League have more staying power.

Toma

Hm, sure, I guess everybody has its MP favourites. Personally, I think Towerfall, while still good, is by far the weakest of the bunch and I prefer most other indie couch games released in the last few years.

Oh, and I don't disagree, at all, that Sportsfriends and Lethal League have more staying power.

I found Towerfall to be absolutely stellar. Rarely have I seen room of 8 gamers turn from a "Why do you want to play this? Looks so boring." to a cheerful and jubilating mass screaming, jumping and poking at each other within 5 minutes. Worked incredibly well for us.

I found Towerfall to be absolutely stellar. Rarely have I seen room of 8 gamers turn from a "Why do you want to play this? Looks so boring." to a cheerful and jubilating mass screaming, jumping and poking at each other within 5 minutes. Worked incredibly well for us.
I heard the solo modes and gameplay is also pretty good? That's rare for games like that, any thoughts on single player?

I heard the solo modes and gameplay is also pretty good? That's rare for games like that, any thoughts on single player?

Single player levels are similar to Super Crate Box but with waves. It's ok, but more fun with another person (2 player coop). The trials are there to be beaten and forgotten.

Toma

I played the SP levels cooperatively with a friend (awesome too btw), and while I agree that the SP is still very fun because of the magnificiently crafted gameplay mechanics and the overall challenge, I wouldnt outright recommend it for $15 just for the SP. Its very fun, but in the end the SP is just 10 arena-style levels with a variety of enemies rushing in on 2 different difficulty levels. Its still a challenge to beat the game and learn all the intricacies, but I think I would have felt bad paying full price for it if I only played it in SP.

Toma

In other news, the development of Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows keeps progressing. We expect to have a playable alpha by November and we are thinking about selling early alpha keys or something let people start creating levels in the mission editor among other stuff. I spent last week porting everything to Unity 5, testing the game on Xbox One and improving graphic fidelity (rim lighting and specular). Here's the new main character in the engine:

That art style is crazy good, looking forward to playing the full version!

Toma

More impressions:

Five Nights at Freddy
Rather unique horror game, which enforces the main aspect of what makes "horror" so spooky - the unability to fight anything. You can only watch the different cameras of the complex, but the more you use the cameras, the higher the chances that you might run out of energy and they might get to you. You also have the choice to close doors and light certain areas, but that too costs energy. Its a very simple game in its concept, but it surprisingly... works rather well. If you arent super objected to jump scares, this is worth checking out.

Hangeki
Holy crap. Super crazy evolution of Space invaders with tons of bullets, crazy powerups and bosses. Playing this makes my eyes happy. Watch some YT videos on this, its really darn good. Definitely keep this in mind for a sale.

Hop and Slide
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Short and very imaginative puzzle exploration game. I dont want to spoil too much, but try this, seriously. If you need a hint on how to play, check the LD page: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=3479

Meowgical Tower
Very charming zelda-style action adventure with a feline theme. Really lovely game with a good soundtrack, I wish it was longer and on a handheld, though. Good time for 10 minutes.

Infinity Wars
Surprisingly polished Collectible Card Game. Its F2P and seems to have enough SP content to unlock cards without paying money. The gameplay mechanic seems a bit simple overall, but the animated cards are a treat, it scratches the collectible card game itch and there is quite a lot to do here. Good stuff.

Sorcery
Very good and surprising "choose your own adventure"-style game. Lots of inventive and engaging ideas with a super fun spell system. I was surprised to see how many different possible options this game allows at every corner and how many different outcomes this game could has. Rather short at 2-3 hours per playthrough and its not really hard or overly challenging, but its definitely worth the asking price if you got a long train ride.

Mind: Path to Thalamus
Narrative interactive experience, similar to Dear Esther, with some light puzzle solving. Gorgeous and very evocative. If you like those kind of games, you really should give this a look. These games usually dont have a lot deep mechanics, and mostly rely on an experience/story told via the imagery, text and sound. Its also rather short, so if you are unsure, then wait for a sale. I liked it though.

Triera
Platforming game with simple mechanics and rather boring level design. There just doesnt seem much to do other than pressing double jump and move to the next highest ledge. Adds some tension to the mix with different enemies, but I am not particularly fond of it.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
Sorcery (yeah, a mobile only game tops my list this month)
Hangeki
Mind: Path to Thalamus
Hop and Slide
Cavern Kings
Infinity Wars
Cubus Puram

>----------< Recommended >----------<
Bear Hero
Awe
Meowgical Tower
Even the Stars

>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
Five Nights at Freddies
Copy Kitty
Basement
Gang Beasts
Crunch Time
Triera
Farewell, Brother
Bond

>----------< Bleh >----------<
Bedrock

I really wish I could try Whispering Willows, but I can't justify the purchase atm. Other than that, I am done for the month and got my top 10 picked.

Toma, if you like Sorcery, check out 80 Days. It doesn't have the magic or combat of Sorcery, but instead you get a sprawling adventure around the entire globe with some awesome world building and a wonderfully realized steampunk 19th century world. If you thought Sorcery had a lot of outcomes and possibilities, 80 Days blows it away.

This is from the game's OT
In my first game, I visited only 14 of the 150+ cities available in the world. I personally went through Germany, across to Russia, smuggled my way across a Russian military zone, went to Japan, crossed to Honolulu, from there to San Francisco, down and across to New Orleans, up to New York, through Reykjavik and to London. So notably I didn't hit Africa, the Middle East, South-East Asia, Central or South America, or even much of the continents I did go through.

Edit: oh wait, you have Android, right? Damn, game's not out on Android yet

Voting
  • Awe
  • Cavern Kings
  • Meowgical Tower
  • Mountain
  • Hop and Slide
  • Bear Hero

Sigh, I'm so sorry Toma looking back this month I barely played any of the games, I'll try to squeeze some time on Monday and Tuesday morning to play more games from the OP.

Toma

Toma, if you like Sorcery, check out 80 Days. It doesn't have the magic or combat of Sorcery, but instead you get a sprawling adventure around the entire globe with some awesome world building and a wonderfully realized steampunk 19th century world. If you thought Sorcery had a lot of outcomes and possibilities, 80 Days blows it away.

This is from the game's OT

Edit: oh wait, you have Android, right? Damn, game's not out on Android yet

Yeah, thats the problem.

Toma

Voting
  • Awe
  • Cavern Kings
  • Meowgical Tower
  • Mountain

Sigh, I'm so sorry Toma looking back this month I barely played any of the games, I'll try to squeeze some time on Monday and Tuesday morning to play more games from the OP.

Same here, I just took 6-7 hours today to plow through a big chunk of it. Usually I can get through most monthly games in two solid days of gaming.

While we are on the subject of public service announcements, the Indie Game Stand has Knytt Underground for pay what you want, one dollar minimum. I can HIGHLY recommend it, note that every letter in that word is capitalized; that's just how high I am with this recommendation. It plays as a relaxed open world 2D platformer set in this beautiful miniature atmospheric world all while dealing with subjects like technology, faith, responsibility and oblivion in a slightly comic but fairly thought provoking fashion.

If I remember correctly, I payed about eight pounds for it near release and I don't regret it at all, again highly recommended.

https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Moobabe

While we are on the subject of public service announcements, the Indie Game Stand has Knytt Underground for pay what you want, one dollar minimum. I can HIGHLY recommend it, note that every letter in that word is capitalized; that's just how high I am with this recommendation. It plays as a relaxed open world 2D platformer set in this beautiful miniature atmospheric world all while dealing with subjects like technology, faith, responsibility and oblivion in a slightly comic but fairly thought provoking fashion.

If I remember correctly, I payed about eight pounds for it near release and I don't regret it at all, again highly recommended.

https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

I couldn't get behind this :( I picked it up at a PS+ game on Vita and... there was something missing? I can't quite put my finger on what or why, maybe I didn't give it a fair shake?

Izle - PC
directlink_BykWQnmIUAAx_Oc.png%3Alarge.png

http://area-effect.com/Izle/

Izle is an online cooperative action-exploration game. Starting your journey on the magical land of the Moon Princess, you take control of a character following an old legend to save the kingdom from the shadows. To uncover the island's mysteries, you will have to cooperate with others to progress in this vast, unknown world. Experience real-time action combat, find mythical chests and hidden secrets, craft, build, and explore to finally gather new abilities, and bring balance back to the world of Izle.

Vidar - Free demo (PC)
ByZC7QzIgAE55KG.png

http://www.vidarthegame.com/

Vidar is a top-down RPG-puzzler where everyone dies. The game takes place in a struggling town beset by a Beast, and every night, a villager is killed. Explore Vidar's past in four unique settings, each filled with puzzles which blend nostalgic dungeon-exploration mechanics (like frictionless ice, mirrors which reflect light, adjustable water levels, and more) with new twists. With random puzzles and random story telling, Vidar brings a new challenge in every playthough. The only certainty is that everyone will die.

SOP 3000 - PC
screen3.jpg

http://sop3000.sopwerk.com/

The SOP 3000 is a third perspective shooter in which the player controls a futuristic fighter plane. The game is set in the near-future world. The gameplay is centered around intense aerial dogfight with plenty of enemies to shoot at and lots of bullets flying in the air.

It is a squad-based game with elements of tactics: the player assumes a role of squad leader, fighting against equally strong AI-controlled enemy squads and individual units.

Y2K - ????
directlink_ByjsIDfCYAAi4DK.png%3Alarge.png

http://ackkstudios.wordpress.com/project-y2k/

Y2K is a modern day(ish) RPG, inspired by Earthbound and Pokemon. The game contains action and platforming elements, as well as meticulously designed story-based dungeons. In addition to these story-based dungeons, Y2K will feature randomly generated dungeons called “The Mind Dungeon“ that contain puzzles, story elements, and opportunities for the characters to level up beyond the standard leveling experience that is expected from battle.

Previously Mentioned

Starwhal

Gloomwood

Captain Forever Remix

Rova's Adventure - ????
lv11_1.gif

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42483

Rova's Adventure is a 3D platformer inspired by PS1 games like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and many others.

Children of Morta - ????
bkPeh80.jpg

http://www.childrenofmorta.com/

Children of Morta is a challenging roguelike action game which will involve you in the adventures of a family who guard a sacred mountain.

Catch Monsters - ????
2fHVKBa.gif

https://twitter.com/2DMGames

Catch Monsters is an adult re-imagining of the early Pokémon titles with elements of The Elder Scrolls and Hearthstone. The game features a large open world with multiple main quest lines and joinable interacting factions. It also features a card-based battle system.

Shutter - PC

Unnamed Game - ????
directlink_Byjnr6ACQAAIf-9.png%3Alarge.png

https://twitter.com/jonlepagedev

"Ronin/samurai action-stealth project"

Rad Moon: Rising - ????

Previously Mentioned

Cavern King

Cogmind

Hardland

Rakuen - PC
directlink_rakuen-morizoras-grove.png

http://projectrakuen.com/

Rakuen is a story-based adventure, but there are no battles. It functions like a mix between Maniac Mansion, To the Moon, and The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (in terms of layout, not in terms of fighting). The hospital itself has a lot of little puzzles and mysteries that evolve throughout the course of the game, and you can gradually help improve the quality of the place as you progress. And of course, a big part of the game is uncovering the stories behind the patients in the hospital, and the secrets of the world around you.

Super Slaughter Kings - PC, Mac
directlink_ByflB81CUAA6JRq.png%3Alarge.png

http://sleepninjagames.com/super-slaughter-kings/

Local Multiplayer Arcade Mayhem for up to 4 Players!

Wings of Vi - PC
Wings_of_Vi_screenshot_04.png

http://www.grynsoft.com/wov

Wings of Vi is a challenging and rewarding platformer in which it's up to a young and reckless angel named Vi to defeat Jeh'oul, lord of the underworld, who escaped from his captivity, and save the world from going under.

On her adventure she has to find the entrance to the demon lair, the place Jeh'Oul and his minions reside; as well as defeat the hordes of demons unleashed upon the world.

Freeholder - Free prototype demo (Browser)
directlink_BylUdjSCUAIINq3.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.theroguewareproject.com/

In this turn-based roguelike strategy game, you are an escaped Roman slave in Northern Gaul who stumbles across an abandoned farm. When a corrupt census-taker agrees to let you stay in exchange for a hefty bribe, you must work the land, feed your people, level up your skills, and make the yearly wheat quota before winter falls. As you fend off roving bandits and forge alliances with local tribes, you can choose your final path to freedom: Roman Citizen or Rebel Leader.

Prophour23 - 2014 (PC, Mac, Linux)
directlink_Byplw0yIcAAH9DI.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://prophour23.com/

Prophour23 is a fast-paced, replayable real-time strategy. It's designed for short, quick plays. A single playthrough will take you about 15 minutes, if you're good. But the next one will be different. And another one as well.

Previously Mentioned

Blackwake

Moobabe

Trying my hand at exploring the internet for cool looking stuff (that's probably already been mentioned by you guys!)

Tesla Breaks the World! - £6.99 (PC)
ss_86fed85d7441deb9e0a4b9392b5e811b45df51fb.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314210

Classic 2D platforming that blends elements of: Nikola Tesla, puzzles, inventions, 1800's-era undead and a sprinkling of the maniacal Thomas Edison. Throw in a dash of randomly generating level sectors, a zesty squeeze of items and a pinch of indie love... Tasty!

Refunktion - Free (PC)
Refunktion8.jpg

http://www.indiedb.com/games/refunktion/images/refunktion6

Refunktion is a first person stealth platformer with exploration and speedrun elements. This is a small but challenging game. It was made over a span of three months and the first episode was released for free.

Outland 17 - PC(?)
Screenshot227.png

http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/64/outland-17-void-of-liberty

Outland 17: Void of Liberty is a turn-based tactical RPG designed to be accessible for casual gamers but enjoyable for the hardcore community. With an enticing story and the ability to engage in combat the way you want to play, there's something to offer for all in the universe of Outland 17.

Outland 17 is part the Square Enix collective (which I have very little experience or understanding of... It's like a pre-Kickstarter? Regardless - looks cool.

Toma

Trying my hand at exploring the internet for cool looking stuff (that's probably already been mentioned by you guys!)

Tesla Breaks the World! - £6.99 (PC)

Refunktion - Free (PC)

Outland 17 - PC(?)

Outland 17 is part the Square Enix collective (which I have very little experience or understanding of... It's like a pre-Kickstarter? Regardless - looks cool.

Hey Moo, could you please change the word "LINK" to the actual link? :p Otherwise the only thing Toma Bot grabs is "link", because he is stupid like that. He doesnt like clicking links ;)

End of September has been good for Kickstarter/Early Access successes.

TinyKeep - $14.99 (PC)
ss_11b4c5d9c9f4742d81d36d67455a1fbccf9953d8.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/278620/

TinyKeep, a top-down procedurally generated dungeon escape game with permadeath - you die and it's game over. Master the frantic physics-based combat, lure enemies into traps or make them fight each other for dominance. There are many ways to survive in TinyKeep!

Starwhal: Just The Tip - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
ss_e20ded631be35b3a64dd638394ac397812e0d87c.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263020/

The local multi-player space narwhal fighting game that has rocked the internet is finally ready for its big debut in a fully loaded release! Flop it out with 1-4 players in a retro, epic narwhal battle in space! The heart-piercing action is furious and unrelenting. STARWHAL will change your life.

Neverending Nightmares - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ss_6b5c9fa82bd9e207b0dacd15fafd37e43d898634.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253330/

Experience the psychological horror as you continually awaken into hellish nightmares. Hide from horrifying apparitions and outrun your inner demons as you struggle to wake up.

Also, Meridian New World fully released, another game that was on Early Access
---
I am disastrously bad at The Masterplan - which I kind of love. Mishaps, panicked gunshots, people sprinting around trying to call the police and my crooks leaving cash all over the floor and diving into the van before the police arrive.

Professionals don't leave bodies.

Idiots do :(
Just got updated with a new level, a bar

Any impressions for that? All the steam reviews and stuff seem fairly positive.
A few people I know from Something Awful and Doomworld seem thoroughly unenthusiastic about it. Not so much out of malice, they just think it's extremely bland and unmemorable.

Also apparently the $14.99 price nets you 9 levels, with further packs of 9 levels being paid DLC down the line. I know shareware kinda worked like that, but only if you didn't have an Internet connection to nab the free versions... Not too enthusiastic about that scheme myself.

I wish I could say for myself, but AFAIK there's no demo, and I'm not too eager to gamble $13.49 on it right now.

A few people I know from Something Awful and Doomworld seem thoroughly unenthusiastic about it. Not so much out of malice, they just think it's extremely bland and unmemorable.

Also apparently the $14.99 price nets you 9 levels, with further packs of 9 levels being paid DLC down the line. I know shareware kinda worked like that, but only if you didn't have an Internet connection to nab the free versions... Not too enthusiastic about that scheme myself.

I wish I could say for myself, but AFAIK there's no demo, and I'm not too eager to gamble $13.49 on it right now.

Yeah, the price is a bit of a sticker ain't it. The real problem that is halting any purchase from me is that these games live and die by how they control and no screenshot or video can really tell you that, only a demo of some kind can.

Oh well, guess I will keep it on the wishlist and see if it has a price drop around the Christmas time, I am interested to give the game a go but not really at a price that would really bum me out if I ended up hating it.

Metrocide is getting close to release

Metrocide - October (PC)
I...what...
How did I overlook this? Just learned about it today, and it sounds like all my favorite things rolled into one. Gritty cyberpunk sci-fi, stealthy assassinations, a plethora of tools and options, permadeath. This Destructoid article pretty much assured an instant purchase from me:
http://www.destructoid.com/metrocid...h-early-access-coming-in-october-281897.phtml
When choosing a target, you'll be given pertinent information about your potential victims such as their personal habits, psychological profile, and if they are known to be armed. Facts like the victim being a smoker could give you a clue that they will periodically stop to light a cigarette, opening an opportunity to make your move.

As you accumulate cash by dispatching citizens, new weapons and tools will be unlocked that you can purchase to help with the next job. A clever example of this is the holographic lure, which can be used to draw unsuspecting victims into alleyways, free from patrolling drones and the watchful lenses of security cameras. Weapons such as the shotgun also become available as you progress, but if you are found with illegal items on your person they will be confiscated and you'll receive a hefty fine, or if you're unlucky enough to be caught short on funds, you'll be shot dead in the streets. In the ruthless dystopia of Metrocide, an inability to pay fines is punishable by death.

PatMAMU

Neo Member
Steam Dump for tomabot, hopefully I've done this right and things haven't been posted before and it helps.

Cosmonautica - $9.99 (Pc)
ss_06f9fda94ef5843288453ca7f4a828b1674d86ae.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/320340/

Cosmonautica is a fresh genre mix in a quirky and humorous universe, paired with funky space tunes for your intergalactic enjoyment.

Wrack - $14.99 (Pc)
linkfilter

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253610/

Wrack is all about action - spectacular action! The addictive kill chain system encourages you to mow down as many enemies in a short period of time as possible. No hiding - keep your chain going by getting out there and kicking some alien ass!

Exodus Wars: Fractured Empire - $19.99 (PC)
ss_e71225679bc0e0aaf629fa2e9cd9fbf2c3d75980.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297270/

Exodus Wars: Fractured Empire is a futuristic, 3D turn-based strategy wargame that puts you in brigade-level control of infantry, armored companies and massive super-vehicles.

Outland - $9.99 (PC)
ss_7822b1099b82691de11ce57261b1f288e1473db4.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305050/

Outland is a fast-paced, dynamic platformer where the player uses powers of light and dark in an epic journey to save the world from forces of chaos.

Verde Station - $9.99 (PC)
ss_dc272796d212a117e563a4fd79ca79e0f3ba5633.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324120

What do you trust most — what you see, what you're told, or your instincts? On a year long solo mission aboard Verde Station, you will test your wits, question everything, and strain to keep your sanity. Welcome to solitude.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - $19.99 (Pc)
ss_2bbc4e208f82fef934f437863011f12d44be310e.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/258520/

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a first-person story-driven mystery game focused on exploration and discovery. As occult-minded private detective Paul Prospero communicate with the dead to discover the fate of a missing boy and the mystery behind a dark ancient force lurking in Red Creek Valley.

Beyond Gravity - $1.99 (Pc)
ss_8b07c6bf4070fbf1bdb46657c620ad78f02c68e9.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/317510/

Beyond Gravity is procedurally generated "platformer" where you jump in-between planets and try to collect as many pickups as you can. This gets progressively harder the further you jump. No need to worry tho as you can upgrade your character with loads of upgrades and power-ups!

Heavy Bullets - $9.99 (Pc)
ss_47fd5b3177cbae1cad4b367fa2c8cd0aaa15fab7.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297120/

Heavy Bullets is a randomized FPS dungeon crawler where players make their way through a colorful maze, while protecting themselves from aggressive creatures and malfunctioning security devices.

SPACECOM - $14.99 (PC)
ss_921090cb3258998894fe7b115952405f3d6ad095.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263860/

SPACECOM – a strategic-to-the-bone, starfleet command game in which deception, smart movement, and choices to battle decide victory or defeat.

Toma

Steam Dump for tomabot, hopefully I've done this right and things haven't been posted before and it helps.

Thanks! And Welcome to the Indie threads btw ;)
You just reminded me that I wanted to update Toma Bot with an "ignore duplicates" function.

Quite a few releases I'm anticipating in October: Metrocide, The Sun & Moon, Schein, Tri, Team Indie, Sign Motion

Cavern Kings is already on Early Access. That was fast
http://store.steampowered.com/app/321830/

The Buffalo Game Space (a collective of local indie developers I belong to) just got featured on on the local Channel 2 morning show broadcast

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/features/2014/10/01/buffalogamespace/16522567/

It's pretty cool to see!
I thought that name sounded familiar. There's a Kickstarter currently going on for Buffalo Game Space
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986200402/buffalo-game-space

Toma

Desura Update:

Bolt Riley - $12,99 (PC)
yovA9K6.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/bolt-riley

Become a Reggae legend in a 2D point and click adventure game that takes place in 1970's Jamaica. You go through a journey of self discovery, of love, friendship, and inspiration, where you are introduced to Reggae music, you have to form your band, get inspiration, write and produce your songs and then perform them.

Escape from Space Shredder - $2,99(PC, Linux)
IogHRu4.png

http://www.desura.com/games/escape-from-space-shredder

Platforming game, in which you turn the game world while avoiding traps.

SanctuaryRPG - $2,99 (PC)
185J2F2.png

http://www.desura.com/games/sanctuaryrpg

SanctuaryRPG is a critically acclaimed strategic turn-based monster slaying and dungeon crawling adventure set in the retro ASCII-art world of Sanctuary. Drawing inspiration from Roguelikes and Japanese RPGs, we have poured over 10,000 hours of meticulous work into this game.

Startag - $3,99 (PC)
fC2Zn36.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/startag

Conquer new systems as much as possible to gain the fluence points, build and research, manage you bases, destroy your enemy and win! Make your own winning strategy.

Survivalist - $2,99 (PC,XBLIG)
WkZ8vAz.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/survivalist

You'll scavenge for supplies, trade, plant crops, go on quests, face moral dilemmas, go to war, and uncover dark, terrible secrets! Or you could just kill everyone you meet, it probably won't get you very far but the choice is yours. Surprisingly good ratings.

The Journey Down - §9,99 (PC)
nb8Zy94.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/the-journey-down-chapter-two

In the second chapter, the plot thickens as our heroes plunge down into the mist below the Edge and wind up in the foggy and treacherous town of Port Artue where they find themselves cornered by pirates and on the run from the law. The Journey Down is a classic point-and-click saga with an Afro-Caribbean vibe. Get ready to embark on an epic journey of brain-teasing adventure!

The Spatials - $6,99 (PC, Mac)
1VLKWNC.jpg

http://www.desura.com/games/the-spatials

Explore 30 star systems and more than a hundred planets, all randomly generated for every game. Complete missions and discover new allies and... enemies! Fight for survival with a unique real time combat system. Collect loot and equip your officers with the most advanced technology in the galaxy.

OnPoint

Quite a few releases I'm anticipating in October: Metrocide, The Sun & Moon, Schein, Tri, Team Indie, Sign Motion

Cavern Kings is already on Early Access. That was fast
http://store.steampowered.com/app/321830/

I thought that name sounded familiar. There's a Kickstarter currently going on for Buffalo Game Space
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986200402/buffalo-game-space

Thanks for posting that. We could really use all the help we can get. If Toma wants to throw a link in the October thread it would actually be super appreciated. It definitely helped Shutshimi become the game it is.

Toma

New thread up soon. Just formatting the voting results now.

New thread has some really nice games.

Also: I hereby declare Baddy, Panda and me - the holy Indie voting trinity. Pretty sure us three have participated in most votings in the past few months.

Stop slacking guys :p Even if you only have time for a few hours per month, you could still easily try 5-10 recommendations from others in the thread.

Top Bottom