• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [September] Now Voting - Post 287!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Has it changed at all since launch? I think I remember reading your impressions at the time

I havent read about any content updates since then, but I might have missed them.

rybrad

So big Steam update lets you see what games people follow now (among other things) instead of just when they buy or wishlist. I think I already have a lot of the regulars here but if anyone wants to be Steam bros add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/rybrad . Just mention who you are if your Steam name is different from GAF (mine is stavers) so I can tag you.

The curation thing could end up being really helpful for these threads too as a way to keep track of generally well-received gems.

OnPoint

So big Steam update lets you see what games people follow now (among other things) instead of just when they buy or wishlist. I think I already have a lot of the regulars here but if anyone wants to be Steam bros add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/rybrad . Just mention who you are if your Steam name is different from GAF (mine is stavers) so I can tag you.

The curation thing could end up being really helpful for these threads too as a way to keep track of generally well-received gems.

Mine is DigitalEnsemble

I'll add you up, anyone else on here, feel free as well

I'm here to vouch for Lethal League, which I did not expect to be amazingly well done.

Battle Pong with parries, super moves and characters who all have different attributes (jumping arc quirks + swing range + ball trajectories etc.) to distinguish themselves from the rest. The devs were also sensible enough to have its online multiplayer run on rocksolid GGPO netcode unlike Niddhog, Towerfall Ascension or Samurai Gunn and it's also cheaper than all three of those, to add insult to injury. What makes this game so surprisingly good is that it has a lot of nuanced depth to it despite its (at first glance) simplicity as it's continuously ratcheting up its pace; charged swings heavily increase ball speed and reduce hitlag to near zero IF you can time it right, bunts have the latter advantage too but increase meter gain at the risk of the enemy being able to intercept it (with the benefit of 4 directions to choose from), parries deplete all of your super bar upon use no matter how full, you can stun the other player by clashing with his swing, ... The list goes on and it all adds up to precise, mindgame-centric dueling as soon as you're aware of a given character's possible angles (with hitlag timing displayed at the bottom of the HUD) and all the relatively minor intricacies.

The way it ramps its speed tends to be on the ridiculous side too, moreso during 4-player FFA's or 2 vs 2 team fights.

hbafs2qrx6k.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fun fact: That Indie Game Curator group has already more followers than the normal indie game Steam group, lol.

500 followers within a single day and just 46 game listings so far. Crazy.

Shameless self-promotion.

Clandestinity of Elsie - PC
fwEJ20Q.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/clandestinity-of-elsie

Clandestinity of Elsie is a Survival/Psychological-Horror game. You play as Hayden Warrick, a mentally damaged alcoholic and war veteran. Haunted by his past, he must unravel the mystery of his wife Elsie's disappearance. You must scavenge, kill, and survive long enough to find her. Clandestinity of Elsie is heavily story based. Mostly taking place in vast darkness, you must continue your objective of finding Hayden's wife Elsie while ensuring his own all-important survival. Loot buildings for supplies, run away from or kill enemies, and most importantly try not to die.

Super III is kind of a spiritual successor to Frog Sord, same developer and artist

Super III - Free alpha (PC)
f4c878f036659b3577a4f89174fa38f3_large.gif

http://super91studios.com/2014/09/23/super-iii-alpha-build0/

SUPER III is a fast-paced, adventure game that combines action-platformer and puzzle-platformer mechanics. The game follows the story of an alien named III (Three) and his self-imposed mission to rescue survivors, post-war.

Tulpa - PC, Mac, Linux
Tulpa%20Tree%201.png

http://www.tulpagame.com

Tulpa is a puzzle-platformer game, in which the player controls two characters, a girl named Ophelia and a boy named Oliver, that travel through an ever-changing world. The characters possess different abilities and perceive the world differently. This makes the survival of both characters non-trivial, as traversing the world and overcoming its challenges demands that the player has both perspectives in mind.

Shameless self-promotion.

Clandestinity of Elsie - PC

Sounds interesting

Super III is kind of a spiritual successor to Frog Sord, same developer and artist

Super III - Free alpha (PC)

I'm happy to see this new version.

Have you guys seen this game "Noct"? I've seen the devs pimp it out on imgur a few times now.

Li1uAUw.gif

Looks pretty interesting (sorry zkylon)

b6x7fO5.gif

fs1imBF.gif

syd04Wz.gif

Here's the greenlight page for it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=298978414

Facepunch picked up indie game Before: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=131432525#post131432525

I don't know much about the game, but I really like the look of it. I also love when indie devs/pubs help each other out like this.
Awesome. I had previewed the game and interviewed the dev a months ago. Great to see Before found a publisher. The dev's vision is really ambitious

Here are my articles on the game:
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-watchlist-before.html
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2014/08/q-bill-lowe-on-before.html

Toma

I haven't played the released version. Didn't think too much of it when I played it in EA though - I'll have to check it out.

I thought it was rather bad actually back when I played it in EA.

alllen

Neo Member
Would anyone be interested in trying my game Spirits of Xanadu? It's in beta and rather unfinished, but it's playable from beginning to end (with 3 different endings). There's still a lot of bug fixing, tweaking, and a ton of polishing to do but it's at a point where I'd like some outside perspectives on it. The game right now is Windows only, and I have 10 Steam keys for it to give away.

I've talked about it once or twice here I think (few screenshots from SS have made it here too), but if you haven't heard of it I did a decent interview awhile back for Gamestakers, have a read here to see if it doesn't interest you. I haven't mentioned it anywhere else but it's being published by Night Dive Studios, thanks to them I was able to hire voice actors for the audiologs. Which I think adds a great deal to the game.

I'd be extremely grateful to anyone to me on Steam and give some feedback after you play it. Just want to get an idea for possible improvements or suggestions, performance reports, the usual.

So if anyone's interested go ahead and add me on Steam or PM me your Steam name and I'll send the key through there. Thanks!

OnPoint

Would anyone be interested in trying my game Spirits of Xanadu? It's in beta and rather unfinished, but it's playable from beginning to end (with 3 different endings). There's still a lot of bug fixing, tweaking, and a ton of polishing to do but it's at a point where I'd like some outside perspectives on it. The game right now is Windows only, and I have 10 Steam keys for it to give away.

oo

I'd like to but can't add you right now, save me one pls

Mountain - I've been playing mountain for the past hour and I must say I'm enjoying my time with it. You're a solitary mountain floating in the space, as the time pass things start dropping on the mountain and while it happens the Mountain talks and express itself through phrases.

Every time you start a new game, you get asked to do three draws that represents the word the game showed to you and a mountain is created, only for you. Most of people who will try this game will dismiss it complaining it has no gameplay, you can play music using your PC keyboard, and depending what music you play things happens, like
raining blood, raining coins or starting an armageddon that will destroy your loved mountain.

What I found interesting is, once you played with the mountain, you can just leave it there minimized running in the background, the mountain will continue to spin and have thoughts even after hours of you ignoring, the mountain will be there waiting for you.
Yes I got attached to my mountain. -_-

Edit: searching about the developer made me discover that he was responsible for the "Alien Game" on the movie Her.

1024x1024.resizedimage

======================================================

Cool, I need to try it

Holy shit, my blog got another mention on Rock Paper Shotgun
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/24/before-prehistoric-survival/

Congrats!

I've talked about it once or twice here I think (few screenshots from SS have made it here too), but if you haven't heard of it I did a decent interview awhile back for Gamestakers, have a read here to see if it doesn't interest you. I haven't mentioned it anywhere else but it's being published by Night Dive Studios, thanks to them I was able to hire voice actors for the audiologs. Which I think adds a great deal to the game.

I'd be extremely grateful to anyone to me on Steam and give some feedback after you play it. Just want to get an idea for possible improvements or suggestions, performance reports, the usual.

So if anyone's interested go ahead and add me on Steam or PM me your Steam name and I'll send the key through there. Thanks!

What are the specs needed to run it?

Has anyone else been watching this indie van game jam show? I only just watched the first episode, but I really liked it. Its pretty much just three game devs making games in a van, but for some reason that really entertained me.

Sounds oddly entertaining. xD

alllen

Neo Member
It's a Unity game so it's not too high. 2.0ghz dual core processor at least and any graphics card from the last few years should be fine. Anything in the 560 range and higher should be more than enough. Not familiar with AMD cards so whatever the equivalent is there.

It's a Unity game so it's not too high. 2.0ghz dual core processor at least and any graphics card from the last few years should be fine. Anything in the 560 range and higher should be more than enough. Not familiar with AMD cards so whatever the equivalent is there.

I'm not sure if it'll run on my integrated graphics card. :/

Toma

This is 2nd hand knowledge, but I've talked to a Steam Marines owning mate and he said it was still pretty rubbish and hasn't improved enough from its time in early access.

Yeah, figured. So we cant quite call it a KS success story then :p

Toma

Voting September!

RULES THIS MONTH IN SHORT: Up to 10 games, at least 4.

Why?
Because we want to offer people who first step into the thread an easy go-to list for great games. Plus it gives more attention to the titles that really deserve it.

How?
Everyone votes on his top 10 games out of the ones that already have been released AND are mentioned in the OP (So everything in Post 2). I'll tally the results and put the best 5 in the next thread. A minimum voting count of 4 is required. Feel free to vote for games that you deem "important" or the ones that you enjoyed the most. Since this is a rather communicative thread, feel free to include a short description why these games ended up on your list or a "honorable" mention if you feel that one game deserves another mention even though it wont count for your list. That way it would also make it interesting to read which games we should check out that others might have enjoyed. You dont need to "rank" the 10 games. Every list entry gets 1 point for the overall ranking.

When?
This thread is still open until the end of the month, so you can drop your list in here whenever you want. You can also change your list up to the last day. I wont start the count before the last day of the month, so everyone has still time to revise their lists and play some games. Speaking of which, if you dont even KNOW 7 games to vote for, there are plenty free games in the OP to check out. Most of which are rather short too. Use the remaining week to catch up with 1 or 2 titles you didnt get around to yet!

Which?
Since the list got rather long, here is the complete list of games to vote for for this month:

80 Days - $4.99 (IOS)
Avenging Angel - 2015, free pre-alpha demo (PC)
Awe - Free (PC, Mac, Linux, Browser)
Basement - Free browser demo (PC)
Bear Hero - Free early version (PC)
Bedrock - Free early alpha (PC)
Bond - Free (PC)
Catharsis - Free demo
Cavern Kings - Free beta (PC)
Coldfire Keep - $4,99 (PC, iOS)
Copy Kitty - Free
Crunch Time! - $3,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Cubus Puram - Free (PC)
Dex - $15.99 (PC, Mac)
Even The Stars - Free, PWYW (PC, Mac, Linux, Browser)
Farewell, Brother - Free (PC)
Five Nights at Freddy's - $4.99, free demo (PC)
Gang Beasts - $19.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Hand of Fate - $25 for Alpha (PC, Mac, Linux)
Hangeki - $9.99 (PC)
HopSlide - Free (PC)
Inevitability - $5 (PC)
Infinity Wars - Free/ F2P (PC, Mac)
Lethal League - $14.99 (PLAT)
Meowgical Tower - Free (Browser (Unity), Windows, Linux)
Mind: Path to Thalamus - $12.99 (PC)
Mountain - $0.99 (PC/Mac/Lin/iOS/Android)
NECLiD - Free (Browser)
OTTTD - $9,99 (PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android)
Rex Rocket - $9.99 (PC)
Rime Berta - $14.99, $11.99 with 20% launch discount (PC, Playism)
Road Not Taken - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
Root - $9.99 (PC, Mac)
Salt - Free trial, $14.99 (PC)
See No Evil - $14.99 (PC)
Shadowgate - $19,99 (PC, Mac)
Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms - $27.99 (PC)
Sorcery - $4.99 (IOS, Android)
Sorcery 2 - $4.99 (IOS, Android)
Super Time Force Ultra - $14.99 (PC)
Toast Time - $4.99 (PC, Mac)
Triera - Free Demo/ $4,99 (PC)
Vital - Free demo (PC)
What Could Possibly Go Wrong? - Free (Browser)
Whispering Willows - $12,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Words for Evil - $4.99 (PC/Mac)

LProtag

So if I were to pick up one slightly new-ish indie game to play right now, what should it be? I mean, what would scratch a unique itch right now?

1. 80 Days
2. Hangeki
3. Rex Rocket
4. Cavern Kings
5. See No Evil
6. Copy Kitty
7. Awe
8. Words For Evil
9. Dex
10. Gang Beasts

Will post the rest of the impressions later

80 Days
Inspired by the classic Jules Verne novel, you are the companion and valet of English traveler extraordinaire Phileas Fogg, a man driven by a wager to circumnavigate the world in just 80 days. Like inkle’s previous games, the narrative is especially well-written, bringing the era, characters, and locations to life and offering a vast array of choices and scenarios that shape your journey.

Perhaps the most compelling aspect of 80 Days is the incredible world that inkle has crafted. While their Sorcery games may have been confined to countrysides, villages, and cities, 80 Days places entire nations at your fingertips. It’s a world of conflict and turmoil, of walking cities and submersible railways, of revolutions and rival nations. Your goal may be to circle the globe, but each city offers new distinct wonders, new plot threads to unravel, new characters to meet, and there are dozens of cities spanning the world, giving the game a scale that few others can match. Planning your trip, forging connections and relationships, learning about new and more efficient routes, deciding whether to explore further or travel onward, managing your funds and time, imbues 80 Days’ moment-to-moment gameplay with urgency and tension.[/QUOTE]

Hangeki
Hangeki takes your well established Space Invader formula (ship on the bottom, formations of various enemies above) and spices it up with all manner of cool weapons, combo-focused action, and visual spectacle. The spectacle makes the game really, as you obliterate your enemies with waves of fire, energy swords, gatling lasers, swarms of missiles, and more, all accompanied with crazy particles and wild colors. Visually intense, fast-paced action

Rex Rocket

See No Evil

Words For Evil

Dex

Gang Beasts

I'm a fan of RPGs but really I'm a sucker for anything with a good story or a really unique form of gameplay.
Invisible Inc is Klei's newest game, turn based tactical stealth with a cyberpunk corporate espionage theme and some RPG element as well. It feels different from any other stealth game I've played, and is very challenging and engaging. It's Early Access, but the game has progressed a lot and has a hefty amount of content. If there's one developer you can trust to deliver with Early Access, it's Klei

If you like atmospheric games, I highly recommend NaissanceE. A very alien otherworldly place and the devs are masters at leading you and guiding subtly; you feel lost but you're never wandering aimlessly. An incredible sense of place and scale

The Stanley Parable is one hell of a narrative experience and feels like a game tailor made for gamers, in the ways it play with and subverts player's expectations.

alllen

Neo Member
I really wish I didn't have such a huge backlog. There are too many good games coming out I can't nearly find the time to play all those games plus clear out my backlog.

Speaking of which, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/258520/

An occult-murder mystery game sounds right up my alley. Been looking forward to this for awhile, but will probably wait a day or so for first impressions before I pick it up.

The dev recommends you to take your time and use headphones. I imagine this will be quite the experience.

So I finally got around to Shovel Knight. And it undoubtably lives up to the hype.

Now I've never played any of the older classics that Shovel Knight was influenced by and everyone always compares it to, but I can always appreciate a great game. And that's what Shovel Knight is. An incredibly well crafted platformer that never holds your hand and never feels unfair.

Need to play more to deliver some actual impressions but I really enjoying the game. One of the best platformers I've played in a while

What's up with these Kickstarters with awesome art directions?

Bedlam - A post-apocalyptic roguelike RPG featuring our unique blitz battle system - Inspired by great games like The Banner Saga, FTL and XCOM.

4fce66e5e1839e46511529208f67455a_large.gif

They have some experienced folks working on the game like John Mueller (ex-Virgil, art director from Darksiders), Kevin Riepl (composer of Gears of War and Unreal), Sam Gage (Lead Visual Effects Artist on Darksiders) etc.

515e6e83c7e4bb40b9912e562e8e2640_large.jpg

The game is being built on the same engine as The Banner Saga, from the Kickstarter page:

BEDLAM is a strategic single-player roguelike role-playing game, created for the PC and Mac utilizing 'The Banner Saga' engine.

The player is cast as the mysterious Mechanic, the last known member of a once-thriving guild of brilliant inventors, intrepid travelers and operators of the rolling fortresses called Dozers.

As the Mechanic, you are in charge of commanding your crew in battles, managing your resources, improving your Dozer, interacting with various characters, and protecting your passengers while navigating through the post-apocalyptic wasteland known as Bedlam.

Remember – One chance and one crew to make it through!

fe40f05018f700328ede1107961c8559_large.gif

OnPoint

So I finally got around to Shovel Knight. And it undoubtably lives up to the hype.

Now I've never played any of the older classics that Shovel Knight was influenced by and everyone always compares it to, but I can always appreciate a great game. And that's what Shovel Knight is. An incredibly well crafted platformer that never holds your hand and never feels unfair.

Need to play more to deliver some actual impressions but I really enjoying the game. One of the best platformers I've played in a while

I'm so glad you're both playing and enjoying it, but I have to ask... what? You've never played Zelda II, Ducktales or Mega Man??

I'm so glad you're both playing and enjoying it, but I have to ask... what? You've never played Zelda II, Ducktales or Mega Man??
No, before my time. Never got around to playing them or Metroid, Castlevania, Mario, etc. My first console was a PS1 and never had a Nintendo console.

OnPoint

No, before my time. Never got around to playing them or Metroid, Castlevania, Mario, etc. My first console was a PS1 and never had a Nintendo console.

I'm kind of jealous, I wish I got to experience some of my favorites for the first time again. You should go back and play the classics from the 8 and 16 bit generations. Some of the games are definitely dated but many are certainly worth your time. The original NES still ranks as my favorite system.

I'm kind of jealous, I wish I got to experience some of my favorites for the first time again. You should go back and play the classics from the 8 and 16 bit generations. Some of the games are definitely dated but many are certainly worth your time. The original NES still ranks as my favorite system.
I do want to check out the Metroid and Castlevania games. I like Metroidvanias, might as well as play the originals.

But yeah I grew up on Tekken, Gran Turismo, and Resident Evil.

Top Bottom