• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [October] Let's talk about anything Indie!

Matt Frost

Hey Frost, nice to see you over here!

1) Best place to start is to check out the Indie Games OTs. We vote every month for our favorite games so you can find ranked lists of the best or most interesting games in the first posts of each thread

2) PC gaming is pretty huge so you should narrow it down by the kind of genres you enjoy.

3) Recently, the indies I've been enjoying the most: Cryptark, Duskers, Broforce, SOMA, Jotun, Snakebird, Vagante, and Distance

Ok great, thanks! Will look at the OT (and previous OTs as well) and check those games.

The genre I enjoy most is Metroidvania with exploration in 2D. Something like Waking Mars/Mines of Mars/SteamWorld Dig would be perfect for me.

I found a game called Capsized, anyone tried it? Looks like what I want. Same with Rex Rocket or The Swapper. Those kind of games intrigue me. Any recommendations?

The genre I enjoy most is Metroidvania with exploration in 2D. Something like Waking Mars/Mines of Mars/SteamWorld Dig would be perfect for me.

Off the top of my head: Axiom Verge, Environmental Station Alpha, Outland, Guecamelee Apotheon, Odallus, Zeodrifter, Rex Rocket, Twisted Shadow Planet, Full Bore, Gateways, Teslagrade UnEpic and Valdis Story

Not all those are direct Metroidvania (In fact I recall somewhere that the dev of Axiom really dislikes people referring to their game as such) but they all contain strong Metroid and/or Castlevania influences.

Ok great, thanks! Will look at the OT (and previous OTs as well) and check those games.

I found a game called Capsized, anyone tried it? Looks like what I want. Same with Rex Rocket or The Swapper. Those kind of games intrigue me. Any recommendations?
Cryptark is actually the new game from the devs of Capsized

If you like 2D shooters, you need to check out Intrusion 2 and BLEED

16480796769_a78ba82fd4_o.gif
alphaAVI_O.gif

Matt Frost

Cryptark is actually the new game from the devs of Capsized

If you like 2D shooters, you need to check out Intrusion 2 and BLEED

Cryptark looks great! Maybe too much action packed for me at first glance, but will investigate further

Off the top of my head: Axiom Verge, Environmental Station Alpha, Outland, Guecamelee Apotheon, Odallus, Zeodrifter, Rex Rocket, Twisted Shadow Planet, Full Bore, Gateways, Teslagrade, UnEpic and Valdis Story

Not all those are direct Metroidvania (In fact I recall somewhere that the dev of Axiom really dislikes people referring to their game as such) but they all contain strong Metroid and/or Castlevania influences.

Thanks for the list, will check each one of them out, Bleed included.

Moobabe

Hello guys and gals on this thread, first post here... I was a Steam gamer in the past (all that system upgrading that came out constantly burned me and moved to console), to the PlayStation and now I am primarily an iOS gamer. Now I am getting into Steam again, full circle I guess.

For Steam, I have a bunch of games there: Out There Omega Edition, Super Meat Boy, Luftrausers, FTL, Nuclear Throne, Fly´n, Race the Sun, FEZ, SteamWorld Dig, Meltdown, Bastion, Portal 1 & 2, Guacamelee and every Valve Studios game there is regarding Half-Life.

And I have my eye on Ori and the Blind Forest, Ink, Rex Rocket, Grow Home and Shovel Knight. Is there any other must have game that is really a must have? I bought a Sabretooth so no worries about controls and my PC is good enough to run most of the games. I am looking for that very special indie game (indies are the best by far) that came out and all of you love. Can you help me grow my Steam library? Any recommendations? Something like Mines of Mars/Waking Mars/SteamWorld Dig would be awesome.

Welcome friend!

Before I recommend anything to expand you library I have to push you to take your "eye" off Ori and the Blind Forest and Grow Home and push you to actually buy them. They might well end up as 2 of my top 5 games this year, indie or otherwise.

Capsized was ok - but the guy(s?) that made it have come a long way since. Their new game, whose name escapes me, is supposed to be very good.

Matt Frost

Welcome friend!

Before I recommend anything to expand you library I have to push you to take your "eye" off Ori and the Blind Forest and Grow Home and push you to actually buy them. They might well end up as 2 of my top 5 games this year, indie or otherwise.

Capsized was ok - but the guy(s?) that made it have come a long way since. Their new game, whose name escapes me, is supposed to be very good.

Thanks for the welcome Moobabe!

This is the fourth recommendation I get with Ori, pretty convinced that it is indeed incredible... The only reason why I haven't bought Ori and Grow Home already is... my graphic card. Is an Intel 4000, the rest should be quite good (8GB RAM, i7). Oh, there is another reason... I need to receive my new pad by mail soon. In the mean time trying to figure out if it works or not.

The new game looks good, but too much action for me, I like to explore and like the games to have a huge sense of mystery and great atmosphere, looking for something like Waking Mars/Mines of Mars/SteamWorld Dig, that is my kind of game. Something like SteamWorld Dig should be perfect for me :)

Moobabe

Thanks for the welcome Moobabe!

This is the fourth recommendation I get with Ori, pretty convinced that it is indeed incredible... The only reason why I haven't bought Ori and Grow Home already is... my graphic card. Is an Intel 4000, the rest should be quite good (8GB RAM, i7). Oh, there is another reason... I need to receive my new pad by mail soon. In the mean time trying to figure out if it works or not.

The new game looks good, but too much action for me, I like to explore and like the games to have a huge sense of mystery and great atmosphere, looking for something like Waking Mars/Mines of Mars/SteamWorld Dig, that is my kind of game. Something like SteamWorld Dig should be perfect for me :)

What about first person exploration games? Stuff like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (if you have a PS4), Ether One, Dear Esther etc?

If you really like Steamworld Dig you should player Super Motherload. It is basically the same game except you are angry Russians and not robot cowboys.

Nabs

If you really like Steamworld Dig you should player Super Motherload. It is basically the same game except you are angry Russians and not robot cowboys.

Yep. I ran into a few rough glitches with Motherload, but overall, both games are pretty good.

arcanadei

I tried playing a few F2P games (Dungeon Boss and Fallout Shelter)
If you like Dungeon Boss, highly recommend checking out Soul Hunters. Same basic idea, with a sweep mechanic similar to the Auto-Battle, but with a bit more to do overall. DB is fun but gets very grindy quickly, SH varies it up a bit more so that the grinding is more meaningful. I started playing both at the same time and SH has kept me interested longer.

Also for any fans of Phoenix HD on iOS, check out Sky Force. Similar styled gameplay but single ship with lots of upgrade possibilities, and levels are defined not generated. If PHD had a campaign mode, I imagine it would look a lot like SF. Has fairly unobtrusive IAP, I had to hunt a lot to figure out how to even spend money on it.

Nabs

Secret Ponchos is out of Early Access today. Here's a copy I got from Alienware:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120064.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nabs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Secret Ponchos -- MB-1862BA8B61417125 - Taken by epmode

Devolver's Downwell is releasing tonight/tomorrow. Vlambeer's Rami Ismail called it one of the best games of PAX East, so I'm looking forward to it

animated2-feb.gif

Matt Frost

Off the top of my head: Axiom Verge, Environmental Station Alpha, Outland, Guecamelee Apotheon, Odallus, Zeodrifter, Rex Rocket, Twisted Shadow Planet, Full Bore, Gateways, Teslagrade UnEpic and Valdis Story

Edit: Full Bore also looks outstanding, wow, buying that and Environmental Station Alpha when my Sabretooth arrives, awesome!

Environmental Station Alpha is something I really like, thanks for the recommendation. I tried the demo and love it. Now I need my controller to arrive and play it. Axiom Verge also looks fantastic. And Full Bore too. Will be getting those one a week. Thanks again! :)

What about first person exploration games? Stuff like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (if you have a PS4), Ether One, Dear Esther etc?

Not really, kind of tired of first person games, soccer games and online shooters of any kind, thats why I sold my PS4. Happy with my iPhone and Steam. I love indie games more than the ones from big publishers.

I now have... a backlog of games to play and buy and enjoy! Great. Add that to the backlog I already had with iOS... too many games, not enough time lol

SOMA
I never finished Amnesia, in fact only ever got about 20 minutes into that game. But I finished SOMA in 9 hours. Its narrative was one of the most compelling and engaging I've experienced from a game, touching on sci-fi concepts I love and featuring moments that stuck with me long after finishing the game. It's truly a haunting game, with an oppressively tense atmosphere that compounds the dread and fear through stellar sound design and creatures and environments. It's unsettling and unnerving, and that's more effective than any jump scares will ever be. One of 2015's best and definitely earned a spot on my GOTY list

Jotun
Jotun brings the lands and deities of Norse myth to gorgeous life through hand-drawn animations and vivid art designs. You play as Thora, a fearless Viking warrior, felled not on the battlefield but by the raging sea. But Thora has been given a second chance to impress the gods and earn entry into Valhalla. Thora must travel through purgatory and slay five massive Jotun, giant elemental beings that can go toe-to-toe with a god.

From creating constellations among the clouds around Yggdrasil's canopy to navigating the lava-encrusted crater of Muspelheim or braving the frozen wind-lashed Nine Rivers, Jotun is consistently introducing new elements or new scenery. Each battle is a spectacle of bombastic music, intricate animated Jotun, and carefully timed dodges and attacks. Isa unleashes breaths of blizzard-force winds and snow. Fé summons an army of dwarves and shakes the earth with each slam of her shield. Kaunan lunges at you with his massive flaming blade.

Trigonarium
Played this one on mobile and really enjoyed it. Tight controls, silky smooth action. The combat can get pretty hectic and the screen explodes with color and motion, as the levels shift and change, enemies spawn in, and your upgraded homing missile streak across the screen. There's a nice amount of content: arcade mode, single levels, challenges, co-op. Definitely worth checking it out if you're looking for some solid dual-stick action
---

1) SOMA
2) Jotun
3) Trigonarium

Granjinha

Matt Frost, Undertale is fantastic. Can't recommend it enough. If you like RPG's/Earthbound, go for it.

For Metroidvanias, Ori is phenomenal. People say pretty good things about Axiom Verge, too.

Karak

My review of it.
Rated a Buy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvzPUAN0wY(sorry about my voice) having some family troubles so I haven't slept in a couple days.

If people don't like youtube reviewers like me. Here are the bits.

Pros
Gameplay loop is incredible
Mimics Desert Strike style gameplay at times as well as recent classics
Weapon platforms feel very different

Cons
Some sound bugs
Not a fan of the level progression
Thanks for the impressions

Are you planning to check out Mushroom 11 and Downwell? (hint: you should)

Karak

Thanks for the impressions

Are you planning to check out Mushroom 11 and Downwell? (hint: you should)

Sadly I have some personal stuff pulling me away from doing reviews for a bit, except for a couple games I already have. I played Mushroom 11 and...well it wasn't for me at the time.
Downwell I will look at right now. Always feel free to PM me or tweet any titles as well brother. You know me. Got to catch em all

Phawx

My review of it.
Rated a Buy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvzPUAN0wY(sorry about my voice) having some family troubles so I haven't slept in a couple days.

If people don't like youtube reviewers like me. Here are the bits.

Pros
Gameplay loop is incredible
Mimics Desert Strike style gameplay at times as well as recent classics
Weapon platforms feel very different

Cons
Some sound bugs
Not a fan of the level progression

Hey Karak, (please forgive the tone of this message, inflection doesn't come across in text. I am only giving my opinion) I took a look at your video and I saw in the description field that you have a ******** referral.

I don't know how much you make from G2A referrals but if it isn't a significant amount, perhaps reconsider affiliating yourself with those guys. If someone is buying AAA codes through your link, then I guess no big deal because of many reasons including people reselling keys from buying Nvidia cards and such.

But if people are buying indie games through your referral, chances are very good that the key they are selling is a promo key from an indie developer to press accounts.

It is literally worse than pirating in that there was an actual customer willing to give money for a game but instead of going to the indie dev, it's going to a key scammer, G2A, and referrals.

That's my rant. Again, just giving my opinion. Feel free to ignore.

Karak

Hey Karak, (please forgive the tone of this message, inflection doesn't come across in text. I am only giving my opinion) I took a look at your video and I saw in the description field that you have a ******** referral.

I don't know how much you make from G2A referrals but if it isn't a significant amount, perhaps reconsider affiliating yourself with those guys. If someone is buying AAA codes through your link, then I guess no big deal because of many reasons including people reselling keys from buying Nvidia cards and such.

But if people are buying indie games through your referral, chances are very good that the key they are selling is a promo key from an indie developer to press accounts.

It is literally worse than pirating in that there was an actual customer willing to give money for a game but instead of going to the indie dev, it's going to a key scammer, G2A, and referrals.

That's my rant. Again, just giving my opinion. Feel free to ignore.

Actually, I am assuming you don't follow the channel? So its easy to not pick up on it. Its done on purpose for a Rant video and I am collecting some stuff on them and the other 1 site(I am sure you can guess). We have talked about it a good deal of times on our live podcast and I am pretty much known as a vile hater of those groups. I am working with some devs and publishers on it for a video.

Phawx

Actually, I am assuming you don't follow the channel? So its easy to not pick up on it. Its done on purpose for a Rant video and I am collecting some stuff on them and the other 1 site(I am sure you can guess). We have talked about it a good deal of times on our live podcast and I am pretty much known as a vile hater of those groups. I am working with some devs and publishers on it for a video.

I don't follow the channel. Good to know.

Also looking forward to what you find.

Excellent. That is something I haven't picked up.
You're in for a treat. Broforce was my first PC indie game purchase back in 2013 after I learned about it in these threads. It's only gotten more awesome since then

---

Mushroom 11 - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
F5ucQnM.jpg

http://mushroom11.com/

Mold an amorphous organism into any shape by pruning its cells. New cells will immediately grow, allowing you to traverse a mysterious world across brain-twisting obstacles, overcome swarms of bizarre mutated creatures, and understand the true nature of the devastation from which you emerged.

Downwell - $2.99 (IOS, PC)
animated2-feb.gif

http://downwellgame.com/

Downwell is a curious game about a young boy venturing down a well in search of untold treasures with only his Gunboots to protect him. Make your way further and further down into the darkness filled with nasty creatures and mysterious secrets to collect the spectacular red gems scattered about the rocks. Step into precariously placed shops and buy some helpful items or level up between levels to battle well-dwelling monsters and uncover hidden caves filled with riches and relics. No two trips down the well are ever the same!

Broforce - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
screenshot3.png

http://www.broforcegame.com/

When evil threatens the world, the world calls on Broforce - an under-funded, over-powered paramilitary organization dealing exclusively in excessive force. Brace your loins with up to four players to run ‘n’ gun as dozens of different bros and eliminate the opposing terrorist forces that threaten our way of life. Unleash scores of unique weapons and set off incredible chain reactions of fire, napalm, and limbs in the name of freedom.

The Age of Decadence - $29.99 (PC)
aa654e12940301648e95c513d95ff.jpg

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

The Age of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees.

Ancestory - $14.99 (PC)
ui_rainforest_blitz1.png

http://ancestorygame.com/

Turn-based strategy meets card game! Outwit your opponent on multiple different battlefields with cunning strategies. Build your own decks made of underworldly minions and powerful spells!

Paint The Town Red - $9.99 (PC)
x7BwLCW.jpg

http://www.southeastgames.com/games/

Paint the Town Red is a chaotic first person melee combat game set in different locations and time periods. The voxel-based enemies can be punched, bashed, kicked, stabbed and sliced completely dynamically using almost anything that isn't nailed down.

Dimensions - ????
037GdJ.gif

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50826.0

A 2D platformer about travel between worlds

_machine

For those wanting to know more about Ancestory, we did a launch trailer for the game. It's been a long, long week and I'm dead tired, but feeling pretty good after hearing positive comments (and good constructive criticism from the negative comments). I hope to finally get some time soon to step into some of the other fantastic indie game released lately (Jotun and Master Spy pop up to my mind immediately, though I would love some recommendations on prettu much anything, but preferrably short in length). Though we really want to create tons of more free content for the game (we coded up like 10 more spells the moment we heard about wanting more content in the game), so my wishes my not come true immediately.

Karak

For those wanting to know more about Ancestory, we did a launch trailer for the game. It's been a long, long week and I'm dead tired, but feeling pretty good after hearing positive comments (and good constructive criticism from the negative comments). I hope to finally get some time soon to step into some of the other fantastic indie game released lately (Jotun and Master Spy pop up to my mind immediately, though I would love some recommendations on prettu much anything, but preferrably short in length). Though we really want to create tons of more free content for the game (we coded up like 10 more spells the moment we heard about wanting more content in the game), so my wishes my not come true immediately.

Check out Brigador. Amazing title.

_machine

Check out Brigador. Amazing title.
How's the content in EA? I have no qualms about EA, though I like being productive and finishing a game in one run, so it might not be my thing just yet, but it does look really, really interesting and something I would very much like to play soon.

Karak

How's the content in EA? I have no qualms about EA, though I like being productive and finishing a game in one run, so it might not be my thing just yet, but it does look really, really interesting and something I would very much like to play soon.

I rate games on a buy, wait for sale, don't get it kind of rating that compares the current cost against whats in the title on the date of the review and I for one felt that their asking price was perfect. And I am fairly unimpressed with many EA titles.

Honestly the interplay between the environments, different vehicles, and weapons was stupendous and has flashes of Desert Strike and Urban Strike(old SNES and Genesis Titles) but of course with a Mechwarrior style slant. Additionally for a 3/4ths worldview I never felt constrained despite the heavy action which I can't say for many titles of that type.

The only caveat I give in my review has to do with the way you progress through the levels. It was confusing and I thought it was a bug, but basically when you die it resets you back to 0 like a true oldstyle title meaning any levels you unlocked aren't anymore. Its built like that on purpose but personally I would have liked some flexibility there. It also was missing a couple sound effects so my mech was running around like a ninja(footsteps)

Lastly the soundtrack is excellent and today they are releasing even more content and changes.

Edit: I should add that they do have a 6 month plan with an insane amount of content but I don't mind throwing devs cash for titles that are already worth owning.

_machine

I rate games on a buy, wait for sale, don't get it kind of rating that compares the current cost against what in the title on the date of the review and I for one felt that their asking price was perfect. And I am fairly unimpressed with many EA titles.
Yeah, I'm with you fully on that, I just personally like to "complete" games to some extent and preferrably in one chuck of gameplay (I guess that comes with the profession and being way too busy lately), but the game definitely feels like its worth in price.

The only caveat I give in my review has to do with the way you progress through the levels. It was confusing and I thought it was a bug, but basically when you die it resets you back to 0 like a true oldstyle title meaning any levels you unlocked aren't anymore. Its built like that on purpose but personally I would have liked some flexibility there.

Lastly the soundtrack is excellent.
Ah, that'd be a small negative for me as I've been slightly casualized in my gaming tendencies, but certainly nothing that would be even close of pushing me away. Well, to be honest it'd probably be even refreshing to have such old-school challenge and risk for a long-time, though I would still like to value my own time.

Karak

Yeah, I'm with you fully on that, I just personally like to "complete" games to some extent and preferrably in one chuck of gameplay (I guess that comes with the profession and being way too busy lately), but the game definitely feels like its worth in price.

Ah, that'd be a small negative for me as I've been slightly casualized in my gaming tendencies, but certainly nothing that would be even close of pushing me away. Well, to be honest it'd probably be even refreshing to have such old-school challenge and risk for a long-time, though I would still like to value my own time.

I agree completely. You know how some games teach you with death and you carry that knowledge forward? I would say this is in the middle ground there and some dying is required even if it just helps you identify what vehicle and loadout you like or what works for your gameplay style. If that makes sense.

So though its worth it now, I don't see most people beating it in one sitting as it is fairly hard, though as I said above they are reducing enemies spawns just a bit.

Its a good time to be a gamer in EA or out of it. With your title, Deathwatch, the ones BadAss posted above, and a couple more next week its pretty insane.

Also FYI about your game I actually thought the spells were awesome and didn't really...notice that part lacking. Just my 2 cents.

_machine

I agree completely. You know how some games teach you with death and you carry that knowledge forward? I would say this is in the middle ground there and some dying is required even if it just helps you identify what vehicle and loadout you like or what works for your gameplay style. If that makes sense.

So though its worth it now, I don't see most people beating it in one sitting as it is fairly hard, though as I said above they are reducing enemies spawns just a bit.

Its a good time to be a gamer in EA or out of it. With your title, Deathwatch, the ones BadAss posted above, and a couple more next week its pretty insane.
It does, and I really respect and like the design...if I wasn't such a pansy these days and had more time to devote failing in games.

And I fully agree, these days are great for anyone passionate about games, I personally enjoy everything from sports to AAA to the weirdest indie jam games and I love it. Does make for very, very tough business to be in, but I believe in passion, hard work and trying to be clever to make sure I can continue to make games I love and hope others will too.

titch

Prompt was mentioned in the indie thread a couple of months back and i know i didn't get a chance to play it.

Was thinking about it earlier but couldnt remember the name and was just about to post here about it asking for help but managed to find it in an older thread.

Anyhoo i didnt realise it was available in a bundle and was pretty chuffed to find out before it ended.

Anyhoo anyone interested in a hard as nails minimalistic platform game should fork out a measly 1$ and pick it up with another 6 games before the bundle finishes.

ss_82808db1377300508127f7c505e7749561775129.600x338.jpg

Hey guys, I'm spacing on the game now, but

What is that game with the big blue cat with oval eyes, everything is shapes and shit, bunch of big 2D characters like that

There's some city backgrounds and walking on power lines or something too, I think

Nabs

Hey guys, I'm spacing on the game now, but

What is that game with the big blue cat with oval eyes, everything is shapes and shit, bunch of big 2D characters like that

There's some city backgrounds and walking on power lines or something too, I think

Night In The Woods?

Top Bottom