• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Hofmann

Last chance to grab Papo & Yo for $4, among other indie titles, from GMG.

PaPo-Yo-5.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone here playing Game Dev Tycoon?

I bought it yesterday but I'm having a pretty hard time making sense of its review mechanics. The review system is completely useless and the success of a game seems a total diceroll.

There is no proper feedback whatsoever to learn, adapt and adjust strategies, I'm just churning out games like fucking Electronic Arts and hoping for a hit. Am I missing something?

I played it for a bit, but had to stop after a few puzzles because of terrible nausea. Still can't figure out what causes it, where in most cases I have no problem with first-person games. The small part I played felt a little too mechanical, going from one room to another, solving similar puzzles an so on, but I shouldn't form a judgement on an incomplete experience I had. Gonna give it another try, maybe this time it will be better.

Bizarre. Can't imagine what this game is doing to cause that. I managed to finish it, although not 100% sure I did. The game just kinda drops you into a test physics/game mechanics room at the end which I assume that there is nothing beyond that. Had fun with it, but its relative shortness is to its advantage because once you get it, you get it. Although the few times you play team sports games with yourself and yourself are kinda amazing and something I would love to see expanded upon in other games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone here playing Game Dev Tycoon?

I bought it yesterday but I'm having a pretty hard time making sense of its review mechanics. The review system is completely useless and the success of a game seems a total diceroll.

There is no proper feedback whatsoever to learn, adapt and adjust strategies, I'm just churning out games like fucking Electronic Arts and hoping for a hit. Am I missing something?

That sounds pretty much like the game they copied, which was a very fun diversion on iOS, but I can totally see how that might be lacking a bit depth for a PC release.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

A few others that are interesting for visitors of this thread:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit
(66% off @ €2,71)

Cities in Motion 2 (66%off @ €6,79)

Krater (75% off @ €3,49)

Demigod (60% off @ €3,19)

Bastion
(75% off @ €3,49)

They Bleed Pixels
(75% off @ €2,49)

Expeditions: Conquistador (33% off @ €13,39)

Tiny & Big (80% off @ €1,99)

Reus (33% off @ €6,69)

Frozen Synapse
(75% off @ €4,56 which gives you TWO copies of the game)

If you guys dont have it yet, you need, need, NEED, NEED, NEED to grab Tiny and Big for 2 bucks. The game is short but feels so unique and refreshing that basically anyone in this thread should go buy it now for the ridiculous price of two McDonalds Hamburgers.

Other than that, Reus, Bastion, The Pit and Frozen Synapse are great and definitely deserve to be bought too if you havent played them yet. I'll probably pick up Expeditions: Conquistador for this thread.

Is Sword of the Stars: The Pit a hardcore roguelike in the sense of zero character progression after death? I can see the appeal for some, but personally I've never really clicked with the 'death is the end' type of games.

Toma

Is Sword of the Stars: The Pit a hardcore roguelike in the sense of zero character progression after death? I can see the appeal for some, but personally I've never really clicked with the 'death is the end' type of games.

Yep. Well technically you have character progression which is defined by the skills you learn as a player on each playthrough, which in turn helps your next character to live longer, but.. yeah. No game internal progression.

(P.s. check out tiny & big, underrated gem of a game)

Edit: Actually, I think you can find recipes that carry over to your next playthrough which helps quite a lot for crafting.

(P.s. check out tiny & big, underrated gem of a game)

No worry there, I've already got it from a previous indie bundle sale. It's next on my inde waiting list once I dust off Rogue Legacy (or when I take a break from it, whatever comes first).

Also, everyone should buy They Bleed Pixels. It's like one of the best of the hardcore platformers ever. For that price it is a hell of a good deal. You can stab fools then throw them in spike pits.

Toma

I would have bought a few more copies for that price but GMG doesnt let me. First quote gets a Tiny & Big steam key. Requirement: Actually play it and post some impressions here! If you don't play it, you are excluded from every Toma giveaway ever :p

I would have bought a few more copies for that price but GMG doesnt let me. First quote gets a Tiny & Big steam key. Requirement: Actually play it and post some impressions here! If you don't play it, you are excluded from every Toma giveaway ever :p

I feel greedy taking another game but I'd love to try it if no one else does. Still loving FTL from your last giveaway.

Toma

I feel greedy taking another game but I'd love to try it if no one else does. Still loving FTL from your last giveaway.

I give someone else 5 minutes to post, otherwise its yours.

Toma

And PM. Tiny & Big is relatively short. Should be a nice diversion from FTL.

Skytylz

Banned
I always see Krater during sales and think about how awesome that game could have been. I really love the art style and music, but the game just got really dull after a few hours. The combat should have been awesome too, but it just doesn't feel right and the quests couldn't keep me interested after a few hours.

Sees Toma pimping Tiny & Big. Hm, he was spot on with FTL. Downloads and plays the Steam demo for a few minutes. Hm, what a fun little game. Buys Tiny & Big off GMG for £1.26. That's an almost indecent price! Thanks Toma :D.

Miutsu

This is not much of an update but me having finished the animation of a power and using gifcam for the first time :)

I welcome any feedback on the animation! I don't know if I want to leave it like that or keep adding things to it.

I welcome any feedback on the animation! I don't know if I want to leave it like that or keep adding things to it.

Looks great, I do like a big wide massive beam gun in my shooters to just sweep over my enemies. For feedback, I couldn't help but feel is that the beam appear to be floating in front of the ship rather then coming out of the ships cannons so some form of change that made it look more like it was being produced by the craft might be good. Although I am unsure what to recommend cos I see you are going for this quite striking minimalist artstyle so I fear any conventional animations might just over complicate it. I do really like the shooting rectangles in the beams centre and the little square ships exhaust, I think you should keep them.

Toma

Looks great, I do like a big wide massive beam gun in my shooters to just sweep over my enemies. For feedback, I couldn't help but feel is that the beam appear to be floating in front of the ship rather then coming out of the ships cannons so some form of change that made it look more like it was being produced by the craft might be good. Although I am unsure what to recommend cos I see you are going for this quite striking minimalist artstyle so I fear any conventional animations might just over complicate it. I do really like the shooting rectangles in the beams centre and the little square ships exhaust, I think you should keep them.

Couldnt have voiced my opinion better. This is my feedback as well.

This is not much of an update but me having finished the animation of a power and using gifcam for the first time :)

Looks great.

When the enemies are destroyed, their remains look like feathers. Maybe not as satisfying a result? I don't know if that was the indented effect.

I'm having so much fun with this game and I've only just started it. Already I've had more fun than I've had with big budget mainstream titles and all for £1.26. Ridiculous.

I assume the game auto saves upon completion of each 'level'? I can only see a 'quit' option and don't want to lose my progress if I can help it.

Toma

I'm having so much fun with this game and I've only just started it. Already I've had more fun than I've had with big budget mainstream titles and all for £1.26. Ridiculous.

I assume the game auto saves upon completion of each 'level'? I can only see a 'quit' option and don't want to lose my progress if I can help it.

Yeah, the game was the epitome of fun in games for me when I played it. I toyed aaaaages with only the first level and the physics because it was so fun to play around with.

Not sure about the saving, but I THINK it autosaved somehow. Not sure when it saves though, maybe after each level?

Yeah, the game was the epitome of fun in games for me when I played it. I toyed aaaaages with only the first level and the physics because it was so fun to play around with.

Not sure about the saving, but I THINK it autosaved somehow. Not sure when it saves though, maybe after each level?

That's my best guess Toma. I have a save file in the folder for the game so I think I'll be fine. I just wanted to double check to see if I can manually save in case I don't get the current level completed before I sit down to watch the Wimbledon highlights. I'd best crack on with it then! :)

Oh, how dare you, I played almost every 3D Zelda game:D Maybe I didn't express myself clearly - I meant those online elements usually known from MMO games. This one actually is very Zelda like.

Ah sorry! With "those kinds of games" I thought you meant Zeldas. :D

Wok

I quit playing the game after my save was mysteriously erased by the game and Steam cloud.

Man, I really hope Mossmouth releases Spelunky on PC near the end of July. I've been craving to play it again for a while, but recently finished Rogue Legacy made me want it that much more.

Miutsu

Couldnt have voiced my opinion better. This is my feedback as well.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I see where you are getting at and I do agree that the beam does look kinda like its floating but right now I'm not sure how to follow it to make it look like its coming from the cannons, maybe if the beam had two tips instead of one? and closer to the ship... or maybe I was also thinking of using some particles going to the oposide side of the beam at the base of it, kinda like this: http://goo.gl/wxvIk but opossite? (I admt it I'm kinda thinking of Dragon Ball effects).

Looks great.

When the enemies are destroyed, their remains look like feathers. Maybe not as satisfying a result? I don't know if that was the indented effect.

I actually made them look more like little moon.. croissants? (Don't know the name in english) not much as ship remains but more like shards that every enemy drop once you kill them that you collect and can use later in the game, but if a better shape comes to mind then please tell!

CzarTim

I picked up DoorKickers. Seems really fun, if they add a bit more variety to weapons/equipment, I could see myself spending a lot of time with it.

So I finally finally played Gods Will Be Watching

By far my favorite browser/freeware game ever. Blows Organ Trail out of the water. I think it's the intimacy of just five people that makes it so intense and affecting. What an incredible game. I survived 13 days. Restart, wish me luck

Edit: I'd love to see this game ported to IOS. Want this on my iPhone so bad

KuroNeeko

A few others that are interesting for visitors of this thread:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit
(66% off @ €2,71)

Cities in Motion 2 (66%off @ €6,79)

Krater (75% off @ €3,49)

Demigod (60% off @ €3,19)

Bastion
(75% off @ €3,49)

They Bleed Pixels
(75% off @ €2,49)

Expeditions: Conquistador (33% off @ €13,39)

Tiny & Big (80% off @ €1,99)

Reus (33% off @ €6,69)

Frozen Synapse
(75% off @ €4,56 which gives you TWO copies of the game)

If you guys dont have it yet, you need, need, NEED, NEED, NEED to grab Tiny and Big for 2 bucks. The game is short but feels so unique and refreshing that basically anyone in this thread should go buy it now for the ridiculous price of two McDonalds Hamburgers.

Other than that, Reus, Bastion, The Pit and Frozen Synapse are great and definitely deserve to be bought too if you havent played them yet. I'll probably pick up Expeditions: Conquistador for this thread.

Lot's of good stuff here that I want to check out but won't because it's on Steam.

Especially Reus, The Pit, and TBP. Oh well, I'll just wait for them to go on sale on Desura. :/

Toma

The week of the summersale is here.

steam-summer-sale-12.jpg

Probably not going to buy much though :p
Probably wont be buying much either, but maybe I can scratch together another recommended Indies sales list.

Toma

New Groupees Greenlight Bundle.

http://groupees.com/bagb3

Worth noting that Rooks Keep is one of those games. I know that's been mentioned a few times on this thread, looking forward to giving it a go.

We also had Howler, Overlight and Residue in this thread series. But yeah, considering Rooks Keep goes for 12€ usually, I'll bite on this as well.

Edit:I'll probably grab Rooks Keep, Residue (since its from a Gaffer and I really should get around playing it), Rawbots (since you can build robots) and Broken Earth (which looks like a really nice MP game, even though I dont even like MP games all that much).

Cant go wrong here with 75cents each.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I see where you are getting at and I do agree that the beam does look kinda like its floating but right now I'm not sure how to follow it to make it look like its coming from the cannons, maybe if the beam had two tips instead of one? and closer to the ship... or maybe I was also thinking of using some particles going to the oposide side of the beam at the base of it, kinda like this: http://goo.gl/wxvIk but opossite? (I admt it I'm kinda thinking of Dragon Ball effects).

I actually made them look more like little moon.. croissants? (Don't know the name in english) not much as ship remains but more like shards that every enemy drop once you kill them that you collect and can use later in the game, but if a better shape comes to mind then please tell!

They better be called moon croissants. If that's what you're going for, and you can collect them, I think it's fine. I didn't know you collect those or then I would be suggesting there to be ship explosions but that would have brought too much screen clutter making the collection harder.

For the beam laser, I think just bringing it a bit closer to the ship would be better, since you already have the start up expanding circle before the laser comes out. I quite like the Dragon Ball effects, especially with those speed lines in the beam itself. Keep at it!

When we had the game in indiegogo we made some dev friends, and one of them called Killmonday, just put a demo to their game on their indiegogo project page.
It's a really creepy point and click adventure game with an awesome artstyle about a girl in an asylum that
can watch dead people after eating some pills.
Just played the demo and beat it and its pretty cool, and I like a lot the girl character in it and how she interacts with the other characters.
There are links to the pc, mac and linux versions of the demo here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fran-bow-a-very-creepy-point-click-adventure-game

Toma

When we had the game in indiegogo we made some dev friends, and one of them called Killmonday, just put a demo to their game on their indiegogo project page.
It's a really creepy point and click adventure game with an awesome artstyle about a girl in an asylum that
Just played the demo and beat it and its pretty cool, and I like a lot the girl character in it and how she interacts with the other characters.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fran-bow-a-very-creepy-point-click-adventure-game

Ah interesting game. Thanks for posting.

Techies

Was wondering why Rooks Keep suddenly jumped to 12th place on Desura (out of 1400), now I know why.

Yeah it's basically a steal for that price. I see on that page that if you vote for a particular game on Greenlight, you'll get a Steam key too (if it gets Greenlit).

So it's kind of a kickstarter for Steam Greenlight games. Wonder how the previous bundles looked like, first time I've seen such a bundle.

PS. Anyone can share their thought on Broken Earth?

Gbraga

Yeah, it looks great, especially the animations
b3a31417c30a945d481b762509434db1_large.gif

tmKkY.gif

and by backing you get 9 additional games, like this one for example:

So good.

We need a thread for this to spread the word.

Wow, looks really interesting! I hope I don't forget to check it out when I get home :p

Techies

We also had Howler, Overlight and Residue in this thread series. But yeah, considering Rooks Keep goes for 12€ usually, I'll bite on this as well.

Edit:I'll probably grab Rooks Keep, Residue (since its from a Gaffer and I really should get around playing it), Rawbots (since you can build robots) and Broken Earth (which looks like a really nice MP game, even though I dont even like MP games all that much).

Cant go wrong here with 75cents each.

Just saw the bundle has a trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Mpy_me8PU

And Residue now truly have my interest, love the artstyle. The scene where the character takes a dive is just cool.

Was wondering why Rooks Keep suddenly jumped to 12th place on Desura (out of 1400), now I know why.

Yeah it's basically a steal for that price. I see on that page that if you vote for a particular game on Greenlight, you'll get a Steam key too (if it gets Greenlit).

So it's kind of a kickstarter for Steam Greenlight games. Wonder how the previous bundles looked like, first time I've seen such a bundle.

PS. Anyone can share their thought on Broken Earth?

http://groupees.com/bagb
http://groupees.com/bagb2

The first two groupees greenlight bundles if you are interested. Depressingly, looking back over them I saw how unsuccessful they are. Out of the first 2 I think only La Mulana is up on steam. I hope they and this 3rd one at least helps the developers raise some capital and awareness even if they don't make it onto steam.;

Top Bottom