• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Screenshot Contest

Kane1345

Now the wait begins....

Have to say this has been a great thread not just because of the photos but also because of the good vibe, humility and generosity displayed by everyone in here :) Been a pleasure!

FeiRR

Banned
A remark to the other jurors: pick 3 screens but keep some more in reserve in case somebody picks the same one. We're aiming for 12 different screens to rate later. I'll post mine tomorrow.

Well I (somehow) did it.

I narrowed my choices to 3 selections from a giant list of entries.

Man you guys made this tough.

I'll post my selections tomorrow after FeiRR.

This has been such an awesome experience :).

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I'm so bad at this lol
qHtXMTl.jpg

FeiRR

Banned
As everybody is waiting for me, I'll do it and start the picking! It was terribly, terribly hard, especially to narrow it down from my absolute favourite 6 shots to those 3. I really hope some other judges choose those I had to reject ;-). So there it is, my 3 choices. I haven't decided how to score them. I'll wait for the final 12 to do that.

I love the atmosphere in this shot. It doesn't look like a game at all, definitely not like a superhero action game. I just had to pick it.

Here's my entry:
kB9X80O.jpg

This picture, even though still compressed, got me with its composition and colour range from green on the left to orange on the right. Delsin is looking at the tower and thinking about his destiny. Seattle vs DUP, it's going to happen soon. One of those "wow, is it really in-game?" moments.

I love this contest. Here's my entry, I think this sums up the ideology of this game perfectly... I title this, "A Man and His Thoughts"

i4rvpOJKZIDNG.jpg

The idea seems simple but simplicity is sometimes the best. Delsin thinking about things he did and things he will do, walking in the rain through Seattle. Fits the game, fits the mood, pleases me visually.

So there it is! I'm looking forward to other judges' choices to rank them soon. Do your job, guys!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Here are mine:

I chose this one because I liked how Delsin is looking to the city from afar, and especially the lighting of the shot. The shot overall just really stuck out to me.
Here is mine.

moTcKqL.jpg
I found this one to be nice because it's a bit different. It makes it seem like Delsin is in a field rather than in the city or the outskirts of it. The time of day and how Delsin is blacked out really add to it.

Blz-LDhIcAAstHJ.jpg:orig

Might change it. I dunno.

The fact that this one is at night and it's in black and white really makes it, imo. It just looks good with the neon dash and the city scape / moon in the background.

Holy shit Neogaf has some talented "photographers"! Every single person here took amazing shots and although it might be cheesy, I really do think you all deserve to win.

The theme of my selections was simplicity. I really enjoyed the simple shots people took that had fantastic framing, depth of field, etc.

There's already a bunch I've seen from gaf that are better, but I'll toss mine in nonetheless.

IMG_0094.JPG

It's only been rotated, may change it.

Absolutely amazing shot. Looks like a movie poster. I'd watch that movie.

j4tqWjE.jpg

Final submission.

I really enjoy the colors in this shot and the slight DOF around Delsin's body. Dat look of determination is so epic and seals the deal.

1980379_1438158476431630_8232493213003377271_o.jpg

Not nearly as fancy as the others in here but I thought the framing came out really well. It was also a complete accident. I caught Delsin before the dash effect kicked in and didn't even realize I was by the Space Needle when I paused.

The framing in this shot is excellent. The fact that it was an accident is amazing.

viveks86

Alright, Gaf. Sorry for being the last one to cast my vote. Competition was crazy tough and I wanted to make sure I did justice to all the hard work that has gone into this thread. Following are my top 3. Love the shots from the other judges as well, but I'm surprised that none of my favorites were picked. I guess we all look for different things :D

This shot gives me the goosebumps. It is so evocative that it belongs in an art gallery. From a technical standpoint, the framing and composition is impeccable. Also, this is one of the few orbital drop shots where the city below isn't suffering from wild distortion. The duality in this scene cannot go unnoticed. The way his body arches backward and downward, while the particles appear to go upward evokes two contradictory ideas. If you aren't aware of the game, you wouldn't know if he is alive and is going to come down crashing on his foes or if he is dead and is being pulled towards the heavens by an invisible string. The use of black and white fits the scene both in style and theme. The fact that the game identifies itself with absolute duality, Good and Evil, adds another layer worth appreciating in this shot. In a thread flooded with amazing and competent orbital drop captures, this one manages to take my breath away every single time!

Fantastic choice of camera positioning and lighting. The expression on his face, his exaggerated shadow that stretches to infinity and the emphasis on the shadow of his right hand not only underscore his readiness, determination and capacity for unfathomable aggression, but also highlight incredible restraint. Shattered barricades in the backdrop with "Peace" and "Security" emblazoned on them further accentuate the sense of a world gone awry. Viewed out of context, no one could guess this is from a superhero game, and yet it beautifully portrays a ticking bomb.

Oh and I like the way his shoe is partially showing through the grille guard! :p

This one takes the 3rd spot for me, only because I'm forced to rank all of them. Loved the framing and composition (would be great if cochese can upload a version of this that isn't so compressed). Fire consumes the left half, smoke consumes the right, with Delsin in the middle, looking resigned. A violent scene with an interesting twist - the deliberate positioning of the camera makes it seem like the fire is trailing the smoke! The smoke looks menacing, with it's countless tentacles wrapped around Delsin, trying to devour him. The fire looks like it's losing the battle - dissipating and desperately clinging on to Delsin's arm, trying as hard as it can to pull him away from the darkness. It may not represent the tone of Second Son, but that isn't the point of this contest. Concept art at its finest.

Congratulations to all the nominees. I have no idea how the judges plan to reconcile and agree on the top 6. All I can say to everyone is... good luck! :)

Kane1345

Awww damn, didn't get picked :p Well good luck to those picked, all of them are fantastic shots :) Also I wanna say thank you to anyone who took my pic and made it their phone wallpaper, greatly appreciated. Good luck all!

gl0w

Congratulations guys, they are all fantastic shots.

I think all the participants deserved to win.

Good luck for the final choice :)

M.Steiner

Congrats to the nominees and good luck!
Must've been hard to narrow your selections down to just 3 each given the amount of amazing shots there was to choose from but 3-4 of them have jumped out at me in the thread as personal favourites too. I won't say which ones though as that wouldn't be fair at this point, they're all great.

Didn't get picked either but it's all good (I'm actually surprised that yours didn't if I'm honest, Kane) but it has been great being able to take part in something like this (and the photo mode OT) with you all :)

Shin-Ra

Thanks for the nomination viveks86. :) I tried to retake my pic and improve it but I could never get the camera in that position behind the grill guard again!

I really like Ricky_R and Discoid's entries.

Kane1345

Didn't get picked either but it's all good (I'm actually surprised that yours didn't if I'm honest, Kane) but it has been great being able to take part in something like this (and the photo mode OT) with you all :)

Cheers mate but it's all good, hopefully Sony will put photo mode in all their games so that we can have many more contests like this and we can all enter again! This thread has encouraged some great community spirit and I hope we can recreate this again with another game :)

Ricky_R

Ohh got nominated...That's pretty awesome. Thanks.

I didn't name the pic so here it goes: Destiny Awaits (pun intended) ;)

cochese

Wow...thank you Viveks86 for the nomination!! It would've been really hard on me just selecting 3 as well. Just a sea of amazing captures by everyone! Hopefully we can do this again soon. Congrats to all who got nominated!!

FeiRR

Banned
Congratulations to all nominees! Let me distribute my scoring points then. I decided to give them in triplets to every set.

My set:
nbnt - 3 points
WhupTroy - 2 points
EktorPR - 1 point

Bunta's set:
Ricky_R - 3 points
Marsh90 - 2 points
Zomba13 - 1 point

Magicman's set:
Nafai1123 - 3 points
RoboPlato - 2 points
singhjeet29 - 1 point

viveks's set:
cochese - 3 points
Shin-Ra - 2 points
Discoid - 1 point

Phew, that's it.

RoKKeR

Blown away by some of the stuff in this thread. Just started playing the game today, but I'm hoping for future contests as I'd love to participate.

FeiRR

Banned
Awww damn, didn't get picked :p Well good luck to those picked, all of them are fantastic shots :) Also I wanna say thank you to anyone who took my pic and made it their phone wallpaper, greatly appreciated. Good luck all!

If this is any consolation for you, this has been my phone for the last week. You made it to the semi-final 6 but finally I didn't pick any vertical shots.

FvZEZGQ.png

I also hope more contests are organized in future. But this time I'd like to participate :D

viveks86

Congratulations to all nominees! Let me distribute my scoring points then. I decided to give them in triplets to every set.

My set:
nbnt - 3 points
WhupTroy - 2 points
EktorPR - 1 point

Bunta's set:
Ricky_R - 3 points
Marsh90 - 2 points
Zomba13 - 1 point

Magicman's set:
Nafai1123 - 3 points
RoboPlato - 2 points
singhjeet29 - 1 point

viveks's set:
cochese - 3 points
Shin-Ra - 2 points
Discoid - 1 point

Phew, that's it.

My scores:

FeiRR's set:
WhupTroy: 3
nbnt: 2
EktorPR: 1

Bunta's set:
Zomba13: 3
Ricky_R: 2
Marsh90: 1

Magicman103's set:

Nafai1123: 3
singhjeet29: 2
RoboPlato: 1

My set:

Discoid: 3
Shin-Ra: 2
Cochese: 1

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
FeiRR's set:
WhupTroy: 3
nbnt: 2
EktorPR: 1

My set:
Ricky_R: 3
Marsh90: 2
Zomba13: 1

Magicman103's set:
RoboPlato: 3
singhjeet29: 2
Nafai1123: 1

viveks86's set:
Cochese: 3
Discoid: 2
Shin-Ra: 1

viveks86

Interesting. It's going to be a close contest. Magicman's vote is gonna make all the difference! Who would be the top 3, Gaf?

WhupTroy

Banned
Wow, totally excited to be part of this. Thanks all, but more thanks should go to the makers of this game, they're the true art makers here.

You should have won, in my opinion. I think your shot is easily in the top 3 and I'm very surprised it didn't win. Mistake :p

Congrats to all the nominees! Amazing shots everybody, Magicman has to decide now :p must be really hard for him.

And Kane, I'm waiting for my new HTC to put your shot as my first background!

Kane1345

Yep, it was default setting. Now I also see there's high quality option. I'll upload again then.

Brilliant! Gonna have these cycling on my desktop. Really puts into perspective the amount of amazing pictures entered into this contest! :)

Congrats to all the nominees! Amazing shots everybody, Magicman has to decide now :p must be really hard for him.

And Kane, I'm waiting for my new HTC to put your shot as my first background!

/hat tip ;)

Here are my point distributions!

FeiRR's set:
nbnt - 2 points
WhupTroy - 3 points
EktorPR - 1 point

Bunta's set:
Ricky_R - 1 points
Marsh90 - 3 points
Zomba13 - 2 point

Viveks's set:
cochese - 1 points
Shin-Ra - 2 points
Discoid - 3 point

My Set:
Nafai1123 - 2 points
RoboPlato - 1 points
singhjeet29 - 3 point

And that's that! Congratulations everyone!

FeiRR

Banned
We've got a winner!

WhupTroy - 11 points is the winning shot! Congratulations! PM me for your prize. I'll send you the PSN code soon and we can sort out t-shirt shipping details.

But it seems we have to sort out the situation between 2nd and 3rd-6th places. The competition was fierce and the scoring is quite even. I'm passing on the decision how to award the following places to the other prize funders.

nbnt - 9 points
Ricky_R - 9 points
Nafai1123 - 9 points
Discoid - 9 point

singhjeet29 - 8 point
Marsh90 - 8 points
cochese - 8 points

RoboPlato - 7 points
Shin-Ra - 7 points
Zomba13 - 7 point
EktorPR - 4 point

Thank you everybody for participation and so many wonderful shots. It was great fun but also hard choice to pick the winner. I hope to see more photo modes in PS4 games in the future and contests following them on GAF.

WhupTroy

Banned
We've got a winner!

WhupTroy - 11 points is the winning shot! Congratulations! PM me for your prize. I'll send you the PSN code soon and we can sort out t-shirt shipping details.

Hooooooly Crap, can't believe I won...there were so many great pictures. Crazy,....thank you! Sending the PM now, thanks again for this contest!!!! It was awesome!

Endo Punk

Congrats to the winners and the honorable mentions, and to SP for creating a fantastic tool for gamers to have fun with.

Top Bottom