• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us (NetherRealm, DC fighting, 360,PS3,WiiU) [Up: Screens in OP]

dan2026

The only female comic book character that I could say is equal to Catwoman in recognition would be Wonder Woman. No fucking way are She-Hulk and Rogue up there.

Supergirl is quite well known as well.

Not really liking the roster in this game. It feels too safe.
You basically have the Justice League, plus Batman villains, plus Luthor.

Uninspired at best. Get some Brainiac or Metallo to flesh out the Superman side.
Then get some Green Lantern characters, Black Hand or Atrocitus or something.

Just no more Bat characters please!

J-Tier

I'm still pretty sure there will be Scorpion and Sub-Zero guest characters. Easy +2 mil sales from MK fans like me.

I have a great dislike for guest characters in a series that isn't meant to be a crossover. Even worse if it's a series that already has a lot of character potential to explore.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Injustice got Scorpion and Subzero?!"

"Yes...but it would be better if Bizarro and Metallo got in."

"And if they did get in?"

"Then it would be better if Raven and Starfire got in."

The DC universe is massive, they can't possibly exhaust the amount of great characters in there with unique abilities and crazy moveset possibilities.

I feel like if they put in Scorpion and Subzero, it would be a very cheap way to add more characters into the roster.

Khezu

More of that magazine stuff was leaked. Nothing that interesting, talks about the story mode.

Also talks about one cutscene which has Aquaman, "Shazam", Sinestro, and Doomsday in it.

Ryce

It seems NetherRealm is looking to include equal amounts of heroes, villains, power characters, and gadget characters based on what's been revealed so far.

Heroes
Power - Superman
Power - Wonder Woman
Power - Green Lantern
Power - Cyborg
Power
Power
Gadget - Batman
Gadget - The Flash
Gadget - Nightwing
Gadget - Green Arrow
Gadget
Gadget

Villains
Power - Lex Luthor
Power - Solomon Grundy
Power - Bane
Power
Power
Power
Gadget - The Joker
Gadget - Catwoman
Gadget - Deathstroke
Gadget - Harley Quinn
Gadget
Gadget

That might make it easier to guess the rest of the roster.

Khezu

If they did MK rep, it shouldn't be characters, it should costumes.

Like Superman dressed up as Raiden, or Batman dressed like Scorpion.

J-Tier

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/08/talking-with-gods-–-ed-boon-on-dc-brawler-injustice/

“It’s one of the more common questions we’ve been asked,” he says with something of a weary look. “When we mention Nightwing, everyone asks ‘Damian Wayne? Red Hood?’ All these incarnations of a ‘former-Robin’ character have been asked. One thing we’ve been considering doing is alternate skins for the characters. It’d be cool if we could, say, have a main Barry Allen skin and then if you really want to go retro have a Kid Flash skin, or Impulse. All of those things would be a lot of fun. You can’t accommodate everyone, but it’d be great to have multiple versions like that.”

“You’ll definitely see some of the more obscure – or lesser known and more interesting – ones,” Boon adds. “When you have twenty-something characters you can really go deep into the roster.”

- Quotes from article to get things started.

And this, I would like this.

dan2026

Like Street Fighter X Tekken on the Wii U. Heihachi dressed as Mario sort of thing?
Yeah I like that idea.

Gleethor

It seems NetherRealm is looking to include equal amounts of heroes, villains, power characters, and gadget characters based on what's been revealed so far.

Heroes
Power - Superman
Power - Wonder Woman
Power - Green Lantern
Power - Cyborg
Power
Power
Gadget - Batman
Gadget - The Flash
Gadget - Nightwing
Gadget - Green Arrow
Gadget
Gadget

Villains
Power - Lex Luthor
Power - Solomon Grundy
Power - Bane
Power
Power
Power
Gadget - The Joker
Gadget - Catwoman
Gadget - Deathstroke
Gadget - Harley Quinn
Gadget
Gadget

That might make it easier to guess the rest of the roster.

Why is Flash a gadget character?

SykoTech

People are really that salty about the gender of the characters? The picks for Ultimate are pretty great IMO.

There was a little complaining about that. But most of the salt cam from no Venom (or Spidey villain at all), no Mega Man, no more X-Men, and no one from the previous games in general aside from Strider.

I'm still pretty sure there will be Scorpion and Sub-Zero guest characters. Easy +2 mil sales from MK fans like me.
I don't know. A big chunk of MK fans wouldn't like the lack of gore.

More of that magazine stuff was leaked. Nothing that interesting, talks about the story mode.

Also talks about one cutscene which has Aquaman, "Shazam", Sinestro, and Doomsday in it.
Wouldn't be surprised by any of them, if playable. Aquaman has been hinted constantly, Captain Marvel is the only one from MKvsDC who is not in the game yet, Sinestro seems like the biggest non-Batman/Superman villain and Doomsday suits with the general Netherrealm style way too much for him not to be in.

This would be pretty great.

Gimme my Harley Quinn dressed up as Mileena.

Although I still think alternate costumes based on more classic looks would be best. Here's hoping some of them are unlockables like in MK.

Khezu

Superman > Shao Khan
Batman > Kung Lao
Wonder Woman > Kitana
Nightwing > Jade
Cyborg > Cyrax
Lex > Sektor
Harley > Stryker
Bane > Goro
Deathstroke > Scorpion
Green Arrow > Reptile
The Joker > Shang Tsung
Green Lantern > Ermac
Flash > Kabal
Grundy > Jax
Captain Cold > Sub-Zero
Doomsday > Kintaro?
Catwoman > Freddy
Shazam > Raiden
Aquaman > Rain
Sinestro > Noob Saibot
Powergirl > Sonya Blade.

Id buy that for like 20 bucks.

SmithnCo

There was a little complaining about that. But most of the salt cam from no Venom (or Spidey villain at all), no Mega Man, no more X-Men, and no one from the previous games in general aside from Strider.

Yeah, that I can understand. No Spidey villain and Mega Man was definitely weird. I liked what we got in Ultimate though, there's some great fanservice.

Really hope they are holding some of those reveals back for this game, it could use more oddball choices.

Ryce

Why is Flash a gadget character?
http://videogamewriters.com/netherr...wered-combat-in-injustice-gods-among-us-50102
Boon talks about the various characters as “power” or “gadget” characters, a theme similar to one found in DC Universe Online. Superman and Solomon Grundy are power characters, naturally, while heroes like Batman are gadget characters. In the presentation, Boon also refers to The Flash as a gadget character, due to his lack of super strength.

Gleethor

Here are my predictions:

Heroes
Power - Superman
Power - Wonder Woman
Power - Green Lantern
Power - Cyborg
Power - Aquaman
Power - Shazam
Gadget - Batman
Gadget - The Flash
Gadget - Nightwing
Gadget - Green Arrow
Gadget - Static
Gadget - Booster Gold

Villains
Power - Lex Luthor
Power - Solomon Grundy
Power - Bane
Power - Doomsday
Power - Sinestro
Power - Darkseid
Gadget - The Joker
Gadget - Catwoman
Gadget - Deathstroke
Gadget - Harley Quinn
Gadget - Captain Cold
Gadget - Circe? (she doesn't have super strength which is apparently what you need to be a power character)

I wouldn't so sure. If NRS crams the game with at least as much content that MK9 had, it could easily surpass MvC3.

MvC3 played great, but it didn't have nearly enough content to keep casual players playing and telling their friends to join the party.

THIS SO FUCKING HARD.

Im one of the biggest Mahvel fanboys out there, but they totally dropped the ball on what the game could have been. Not even getting into the roster (which I do love) but for casuals and other gamers that is where the real money is at, even if the heart and soul is with the core hardcore tourney players.

A lot of marvel fans I know thought the game was a joke. Then again they can't even launch into an air combo... but still thats money right there. I feel the presentation of the Street Fighter series and even SFxT was better than both marvel games. MARVEL SERIOUSLY NEEDED A TUTORIAL MODE and not a shit mission mode with combos no one really uses.

Not enough in game perks and presentation to keep the attention of most gamers in a game that is so difficult to master ( compared to most fighters ).

I think Namco and NetherRelms really excel at the presentation of their fighters. You can tell they enjoy making this shit.

shaowebb

YES.

This is awesome IMO. With that Id say every majorly known dude outside of Batman stuff except Martian Manhunter is there.

I also like the idea of MK costume alts for this game. That is a really solid nod to MK without the really bad idea of putting MK cast into the game outright. Th ewhole point is this is the first ALL DC fighter. Why ruin it with cameos? Alts would be a fine way to pay homage to their main fanbase at NRS without giving the finger to all those who showed up for DC.

Slayven

This roster is so lame and shallow. DC has some awesome characters and not even ones you have to dig for. I mean Marvel put Rocket Raccoon in a game, surely DC can put G'nort or Ch'p.

shaowebb

This roster is so lame and shallow. DC has some awesome characters and not even ones you have to dig for. I mean Marvel put Rocket Raccoon in a game, surely DC can put G'nort or Ch'p.

Im certain thats the worst examples you could have possibly used for your argument. Besides if either of those made it in the Atrocitus, Guy Gardner, Jon Stewart, and Kyle Rayner fans would eat the studio alive for adding them before any of the major lanterns.

Besides they'd look dumb as hell next to the rest of this cast in this art style.

Marvel put Rocket Raccoon in a game and everyone complained when they did, then didn't use him.

Slayven

Im certain thats the worst examples you could have possibly used for your argument. Besides if either of those made it in the Atrocitus, Guy Gardner, Jon Stewart, and Kyle Rayner fans would eat the studio alive for adding them before any of the major lanterns.

Besides they'd look dumb as hell next to the rest of this cast in this art style.

I was just tossing shit off the top of my noggin. But they could have at least put in Blue Beetle, they been pushing him for years.

shaowebb

I was just tossing shit off the top of my noggin. But they could have at least put in Blue Beetle, they been pushing him for years.

Agreed...also Boon has teased him a bit and he may make it. Besides he'd be the only Latino in the cast. Sounds like a smart move to me.

I will say this though...if they went with a fuzzy animal character with lantern powers there is only ONE real choice that the fans would back in droves.

DEX STARR FOR TOP 3 said:
518vC.jpg

J-Tier

Agreed...also Boon has teased him a bit and he may make it. Besides he'd be the only Latino in the cast. Sounds like a smart move to me.

I will say this though...if they went with a fuzzy animal character with lantern powers there is only ONE real choice that the fans would back in droves.

Isn't Bane...

A large portion of the potential audience may not even know who Atroticus, Sinestro or Star Sapphire are--I dunno who they'll pick as Jordan's rival--they're not going to start throwing in random, lesser known Lanterns in this. Maybe in a game or two we'll get some more niche fanservice but for their first, serious foray, they're going with some big guns.

I don't really get the complaining about the roster, I'm just stoked this is happening. Also Captain Cold was hinted at in the original reveal trailer for this game, I wanna know what he looks like in Injustice.

J-Tier

I'm super late to this thread, but what does GAF think about putting in Watchmen charcters?

Well, they aren't part of the main DC continuity...so I personally wouldn't like it. Cool characters, but IMO, there are characters in-continuity already like them.

I.e. Rorschach is the Question.

shaowebb

So right now the characters that have appeared in either a cutscene or comic that have not been confirmed for cast are

• Martian Manhunter (comic cover)
  • Robin (Comic cover. Hinted as a retro alt)
  • Shazam (cut scene)
  • Aquaman (Cut scene. Non stop hinted at by Boon on Twitter.)
  • Doomsday (cutscene)
  • Sinestro (cutscene)
  • Captain Cold (trailer vs the Flash. Only ice was shown though but matchups in the trailer were vs arch rivals though)

Thats a pretty decent list of names to add really. Even Captain Cold since he draws in the Golden/Silver Age crowd pretty well. He'd be the most unknown in the cast technically and even then he's pretty well known.

Bane is from Santa Prisca, is a fictional caribbean island, the only Brazilian DC character I remember now is Fogo. LOL

Thanks for that. So yeah he's basically from the land of "ambiguously latin" and didn't come across very latino in the movie so he doesn't exactly resonate with the latin culture nearly as well as Blue Beetle does IMO. Especially with Young Justice being on the air currently. Thats generally the point I was making when I was saying Blue Beetle is a really smart choice if they add him.

HiiiLife

Considering I'm tight on money and can't afford the comics, I'll just have to rewatch Justice League and other DC cartoons. Lol. Or just research characters online. I don't want to be "that guy" that has no idea about the roster. I love comics. So this won't be a problem at all.

J-Tier

Thanks for that. So yeah he's basically from the land of "ambiguously latin" and didn't come across very latino in the movie so he doesn't exactly resonate with the latin culture nearly as well as Blue Beetle does IMO. Especially with Young Justice being on the air currently. Thats generally the point I was making when I was saying Blue Beetle is a really smart choice if they add him.

The movie version is a bit of an...I'll go there...an abomination. I mean, it's cool as Nolan's vision of Bane, but by doing that, the majority of the world thinks that THAT is THE Bane.

Boon never read a comic...LOL

Of course he hasn't. This isn't in the least surprising.

If we're going with this "power/gadget" thing, using this layout, here's what I'd like to see:

Heroes
Power - Superman
Power - Wonder Woman
Power - Green Lantern
Power - Cyborg
Power - Power Girl
Power - Shazam
Gadget - Batman
Gadget - The Flash
Gadget - Nightwing
Gadget - Green Arrow
Gadget - Martian Manhunter
Gadget - Aquaman

Villains
Power - Lex Luthor
Power - Solomon Grundy
Power - Bane
Power - Black Adam
Power - Doomsday
Power - Sinestro
Gadget - The Joker
Gadget - Catwoman
Gadget - Deathstroke
Gadget - Harley Quinn
Gadget - Brainiac
Gadget - Captain Cold

This whole Power/Gadget breakdown seems a little forced, though.

Other characters I'd really like to see: Mongul, Zod, Mr. Freeze, Parasite, Metallo

So far as the "Too many Bat-Characters" thing goes - Are they not DC characters? Are they not super-fucking-popular DC characters? So what if they come from one corner of that DC Universe. The comparisons to Marvel kinda fall apart for me once you look at the list of characters in the Marvel licensed games from Capcom. Of the 45 Marvel characters that have ever appeared in the Marvel series, almost HALF of them are X-Men characters, not counting WTF oddball picks like Shuma Gorath, Spiral, Marrow, Blackheart, chosen less because the devs knew who they were, and more because they looked cool and could be slotted into a moveset.

edit: Changed my list after seeing ShaoWebb's post.

J-Tier

This whole Power/Gadget breakdown seems a little forced, though.

The power/gadget thing is very forced. I hope that's not some kind of guidelines they're abiding by for movesets as we'll be missing out on characters who are kind of "gray-area", though Boon has mentioned characters who don't have super strength to be a gadget character as well, so no clue what kind of classification he's got going on here.

Khezu

The whole Gadget/Power thing is just a contrived marketing gimmick.

The only point of it is to separate the characters into two groups, so they don't have to make unique stage interactions for every single character.

Its basically just strong vs agile characters.

You can basically just ignore it, it doesn't restrict how a character will play, and they are not going to have a 50/50 split.(probably)

The power/gadget thing is very forced. I hope that's not some kind of guidelines they're abiding by for movesets as we'll be missing out on characters who are kind of "gray-area", though Boon has mentioned characters who don't have super strength to be a gadget character as well, so no clue what kind of classification he's got going on here.

Exactly. His example of Flash as a "gadget" character is ridiculous. But it's Boon.

shaowebb

Gadget= they use objects on the stage like gadgets that augment mobility
Power= they use objects on the stage like throwable boulders and permadamage the stage

You're either powerful enough to throw a car or you are agile enough to use it as a gadget to vault off of or clever enough to do things to the objects on the stage to turn them into gadget weapons by chucking stuff at them to trigger hazards. The idea is simple, but they've been crap in getting what they mean by those labels across and people keep thinking it means you either have tech based moves or you are a power dude or something.

Top Bottom