• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us (NetherRealm, DC fighting, 360,PS3,WiiU) [Up: Screens in OP]

I personally hate Bane's visual design in animated stuff. I need to see how the comics are. RS games are alright to me.

I like Nolan Bane as well, for that universe .

J-Tier

Gadget= they use objects on the stage like gadgets that augment mobility
Power= they use objects on the stage like throwable boulders and permadamage the stage

You're either powerful enough to throw a car or you are agile enough to use it as a gadget to vault off of. The idea is simple, but they've been crap in getting what they mean by those labels across and people keep thinking it means you either have tech based moves or you are a power dude or something.

Ah I see, makes more sense. Thanks for that.

No wonder why it made no sense initially, I was thinking along the lines of DCU Online's character classification: Meta, Magic, and Tech.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Cass doesn't exist anymore.

They wiped her clean and Deaged her Mom, DC REALLY hates her and Steph.

DKI2g.gif

She is just too awesome for stupid DC to handle.

:(

They should at least give us her mom(well Shiva or Black Canary since both are the top female fighters when poor Cass is out)

as for Stephanie Brown was going to be Robin in the new 52 Smallville,but they removed he in the last moment. so there is still hope for Steph.

ReiGun

You know, understanding the logic behind there being so many Batman characters doesn't make it any less boring nor does it prevent my excitement for the game from being hurt.

Sorry, but it just feels like that's the only counter-argument that comes up. "They have to do it for marketing." Yeah, I get that. So? It's still boring.

as for Stephanie Brown was going to be Robin in the new 52 Smallville,but they removed he in the last moment. so there is still hope for Steph.

Considering DC recolored a background character in a webcomic to not look like her, I'd say she doesn't have much hope.

C-Sword

My bad

So Sinestro, Doomsday and Shazam have been confirmed to appear in the story mode, no word yet if they will be playable.

The next reveal might have something to do with ice, Boon might be trolling though

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
^ dude,remove the scans

Shiva would be good as long as shes not wearing that absurd outfit she has in the new52.

well all outfits in this game are different than the new 52 ones so we are in the good side (unless it turn pure stupid outfit like the Catwoman one)

ajb1888

Banned
Thought about it a bit.
Based on everything I've read to this point, I suspect the following roster:

Characters:
1. Power - Superman
2. Power - Wonder Woman
3. Power - Green Lantern
4. Power - Cyborg
5. Power - Shazam
6. Power - Power Girl
7. Gadget - Batman
8. Gadget - Flash
9. Gadget - Nightwing
10. Gadget - Green Arrow
11. Gadget - Black Canary
12. Gadget - Aquaman

13. Power - Lex Luthor
14. Power - Solomon Grundy
15. Power - Bane
16. Power - Sinestro
17. Power - Black Adam
18. Power - Doomsday
19. Gadget - Joker
20. Gadget - Harley Quinn
21. Gadget - Catwoman
22. Gadget - Deathstroke
23. Gadget - Captain Cold
24. Gadget - Circe

Unlockable Characters:
Power - Darkseid
Gadget - Martian Manhunter

DLC Characters (speculation)
Power - Lobo
Power - Hawkgirl
Gadget - Zatanna
Gadget - Blue Beetle

30 Characters in all, similar to MK9...

Sorry, but it just feels like that's the only counter-argument that comes up. "They have to do it for marketing." Yeah, I get that. So? It's still boring.

I understand why people would say it's boring, I guess, even though I disagree. They're DC characters. They're GOOD DC characters. I don't even think it's a matter of doing it for marketing: They're popular for a REASON. They resonate with people. They resonate with Boon's goofy ass, and he doesn't even really pay attention to comics. And to be honest, people who don't really pay attention to comics are more of an audience for this game than anyone currently reading. Although that folds back into a marketing argument, I guess.

To me, it seems like "Ugh, more Batman characters" is something that got seized on early, and now it's become almost a meme of sorts. If these Batman characters end up playing really well, I think most complaints will sorta melt away with time.

ShaoWebb said:
Gadget= they use objects on the stage like gadgets that augment mobility
Power= they use objects on the stage like throwable boulders and permadamage the stage

You're either powerful enough to throw a car or you are agile enough to use it as a gadget to vault off of. The idea is simple, but they've been crap in getting what they mean by those labels across and people keep thinking it means you either have tech based moves or you are a power dude or something.

Thanks for the clarification.

When Ed Boon has to retire from being Ed Boon, you should take over.

C-Sword

I'm quite disappointed with the current roster, it's basically MK VS DC with a few additional characters. I've never liked Lex Luthor as a fighter, he looks like Bruce Willis dressed up as Buzz Lightyear

@MUWANdo

Banned
Doesn't it bother anyone else that the only thing anyone ever talks about when it comes to this game is a) who's in the roster, and b) who might plausibly be revealed to be in the roster?

I mean, we've known about this game for, what, six months? Why don't we know more about how it actually plays? Yes, I know you can extrapolate a lot just by using MK9 as a reference, and I know I'm a broken record in regards to this point, but is this gonna be another case where we're just gonna have to buy the game to find out whether it's actually any good?

J-Tier

Doesn't it bother anyone else that the only thing anyone ever talks about when it comes to this game is a) who's in the roster, and b) who might plausibly be revealed to be in the roster?

I mean, we've known about this game for, what, six months? Why don't we know more about how it actually plays? Yes, I know you can extrapolate a lot just by using MK9 as a reference, and I know I'm a broken record in regards to this point, but is this gonna be another case where we're just gonna have to buy the game to find out whether it's actually any good?

Leap of faith.

I mean, I'd rather get an impression of the gameplay while it's in a more finished state, like they do plan to shorten cinematics and figure out a better way to implement the wager system (or remove it all together), it could be absolute shit, or totally fun as it is now, but can change dramatically depending on the decisions they make down the line when it comes to "tournament level" mechanics.

I hope not. I'm curious as hell as to how this thing is going to play, and how it's gonna feel.

ajb1888

Banned

Hopefully not :)
I am as curious about the story mode and features as I am in the roster.. fun to speculate.

It plays like MK9 but with trade hits, back to block, and unique air normals.

Characters have attacks light, medium, heavy, and special. The special button does something unique to each character (drive from BlazBlue)

You can interact with items located on the stages such as cars, some characters are power characters who use the items as weapons and destroy the items after use (power), others use them for mobility or can use them multiple times (gadget).

You can knock your opponent between different areas of a stage.

EX moves are done by inputting something after the move is done/hits the opponent, instead of while performing the move like in every other fighting game ever.

I'm not sure how combo breakers are implemented or how they've changed the clash/meter betting system since we've last seen footage.

Am I missing anything?

J-Tier

Am I missing anything?

Yeah, you've got everything.

As for the wager system, you'll be gambling your meter away on a 50/50 clash thing that can help you gain or lose a significant amount of meter, though it might not be implemented in the end as people who've tested it have said that it breaks the flow of the action too much.

Supers are all cinematic but can be interrupted-- I think.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Am I missing anything?

That's a fairly solid bullet list of mechanics, but it doesn't really tell us whether the game is well-designed or fun. I know how it works, I wanna know how it works.

(there are one or two posters on this board who post/collate more thorough analyses every now and again, which is appreciated. Don't think I don't notice.)

Riposte

Ha, they de-aged Lady Shiva? Guess Cass is dead for good. I thought Morrison said he was going to use her at some point.

ReiGun

I understand why people would say it's boring, I guess, even though I disagree. They're DC characters. They're GOOD DC characters. I don't even think it's a matter of doing it for marketing: They're popular for a REASON. They resonate with people. They resonate with Boon's goofy ass, and he doesn't even really pay attention to comics. And to be honest, people who don't really pay attention to comics are more of an audience for this game than anyone currently reading. Although that folds back into a marketing argument, I guess.

To me, it seems like "Ugh, more Batman characters" is something that got seized on early, and now it's become almost a meme of sorts. If these Batman characters end up playing really well, I think most complaints will sorta melt away with time.

True, but by that same token, I feel that the reason some of DC's other properties don't resonate with people is that they don't get much chance too. Brain Azzarello put it best once (paraphrasing) "It's Batman, Superman, and then everyone else." He didn't just mean that in terms of how people view the characters -- he also meant how DC treats them. Bats and Supes get the bulk of everything, and everyone else just has to get in where they fit in. This game could have been a chance for DC to really showcase their universe. (And I don't mean super obscure shit like, I don't know, Uncle Sam or the Metal Men. lol)

I would have taken Nightwing and Harley out, myself. The other four Batverse characters are already immensely popular and really should stay given the movies. Compared to that, these two don't add much in the way of star power. Replace Nightwing with Blue Beetle like people keep saying. Replace Harley with a Wonder Woman villain like Circe or Giganta (Cheetah would have been the obvious choice, but Catwoman makes her redundant.)

Then you can sell Harley and Nightwing as DLC! (Dick is my favorite Batverse character, so I know I would drop the $5. lol)

I may very well like the roster when all is said and done -- my three favorite leaguers (Supes, WW, and Aquaman) are in, so hey -- but right now, it's pretty meh.

Replace Nightwing with Blue Beetle like people keep saying. Replace Harley with a Wonder Woman villain like Circe or Giganta (Cheetah would have been the obvious choice, but Catwoman makes her redundant.)

Then you can sell Harley and Nightwing as DLC! (Dick is my favorite Batverse character, so I know I would drop the $5. lol)

I am very, very much with you on this. I think somewhere in this thread I'm very much pulling for Beetle & Booster (and Guy Gardner, too) even though I know it's a ridiculously long longshot.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
^ i'm 100% with Blue Beetle.

Ha, they de-aged Lady Shiva? Guess Cass is dead for good. I thought Morrison said he was going to use her at some point.

she is 17 to 19 years old now (and stupidly enough Nightwing rival).

so now Cass does not exist at all, unless DC is going for young teenager mom story with Shiva in flashbacks which will not happen and I don't think she even meet David Cain in the new 52 universe.

yeah :(

Khezu

There are 3 attacks buttons 1 2 3, and a special button that does something different for every character. The attacks are just random attacks and work similar to MK, strings where you dial in.

There are several universal attacks, SF style universal not MK style. D1 is a poke, D2 is a Launcher, D3 is a sweep. B3 is a wall bounce, F3 is a ground bounce. Both F3 and B3 are pretty slow for everyone.

The combo system is very similar to MK, everything is juggle based, so gravity is what controls everything.

4 bars of meter.
1 bar is to meter burn which is the EX attack, there similar to brave edges from soul calibur, some moves get an extra attack, some better properties, and some have there animation canceled similar to a roman cancel.
2 bars allows you to do a pop up cancel or wall bounce cancel, you can cancel any string into one. I assume they added this to make it easier to hit confirm into your BnB's
4 bars is the super.

To stage transition you have to use the F3 wall bounce near the end of a stage, you can also do it with a wall bounce cancel.

You can interact with the stage with a button, most are useless, some can be comboed into.

The stages are very big, ridiculously big, because of this characters have great jump arcs and dashes, you can really move across the screen.

Directional blocking cross ups all that w/e.

There is a greater focus on air control then MK, basically everyone has a very easy AA move, and multiple moves that can be used in the air, either movement type specials, or IA fireballs.

Characters seem better designed overall then most MK characters, have more diverse tools, and more special moves.

The clash system, if you use 2 bars you can initiate it. When you do you can wager the rest of your bar, the defender is at a disadvantage because he can only spend 2 bars, the attacker can spend 3. If the attack wins, he does extra damage, if the defender wins he is healed small amount. This is all subject to change though.

Throwing is similar to MK, two buttons, throw breaks are not in any current builds yet.
Inputs are similar to MK, tap inputs, everything still has a dialed feel.

Everyone has unique air and ground normals, and different jump arcs, so the standard leapfrog jumping nonsense of MK is probably gone.

Probably some more that I forgot.

Yes it does suck that NRS never ever talks about there games in any fashion, and completely refuses to show footage of any kind ever.

so now Cass does not exist at all, unless DC is going for young teenager mom story with Shiva in flashbacks which will not happen and I don't think she even meet David Cain in the new 52 universe.

Nah she's like 21 or older. Even though she has no super power I would Like Lady Shiva.
Some other ladies I would like
Black Canary
Powergirl
Raven
Zatanna
and maybe Hawkgirl

Riposte

Briefly reading some details it looks like they moved her interaction with Tim to Damian or Dick? If they really wanted to bring back Cass they could make her a sister or something, but I'm sure they don't want to bring Cass back in any regard.

Khezu

I like Hawkgirl and Hawkman but I don't want them in this game.

For really strange and selfish reasons, I really hate characters in fighting games with big ass wings taking up space and looking ugly as sin, hate it in tekken, and I would hate it here.

J-Tier

For really strange and selfish reasons, I really hate characters in fighting games with big ass wings taking up space and looking ugly as sin, hate it in tekken, and I would hate it here.

Wah? Even if they're flying with them? It was ugly in Tekken as they weren't really "used" but if the wings are in constant motion...

Skilletor

I hate them in Tekken because it creates unnecessarily movement and covers up limbs making moves difficult to read. I don't think that would be a problem with either of the Hawks.

Khezu

Its Doomsday, he is a unplayable boss, probably with horrible amounts of super armor.

Yes, it wouldn't be as distracting as it is in Tekken, but I still just find big ass wings to just be really ugly. Again selfish on my part.

Its Doomsday, he is a unplayable boss, probably with horrible amounts of super armor.

Yes, it wouldn't be as distracting as it is in Tekken, but I still just find big ass wings to just be really ugly. Again selfish on my part.

Doomsday makes a lot of sense as a boss ala Goro, with Darkseid as the final boss ala Shao Kahn.

But I'd be disappointed if he's not playable. I'm sure he'll be incredibly brutal.

J-Tier

Doomsday makes a lot of sense as a boss ala Goro, with Darkseid as the final boss ala Shao Kahn.

But I'd be disappointed if he's not playable. I'm sure he'll be incredibly brutal.

I'll be disappointed as well, because Goro wasn't playable due to the limitations of their fighting system and fatality cinematics where Goro would be horribly unbalanced or total crap due to his huge hit/hurtbox. With Doomsday unplayable, despite Grundy and Bane being playable makes me wonder if there truly is variety in character models (big buff male, "normal" male, "normal" female), and if they went too far from those models, the character wouldn't be viable in normal combat.

shaowebb

Im hoping Doomsday is the sub boss to Darkseid and both are playable while their boss mode variants are tougher somehow. Maybe they get free cancels or armor or something. I just like the idea of all cast as playable in my fighting games. It worked for I-no in Guilty Gear XX to do it that way.

Slayven

Im hoping Doomsday is the sub boss to Darkseid and both are playable while their boss mode variants are tougher somehow. Maybe they get free cancels or armor or something. I just like the idea of all cast as playable in my fighting games. It worked for I-no in Guilty Gear XX to do it that way.

That would be terrible since DS got his ass beat by Doomsday and develop a fear of him.

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah, I'm totally the same. It'd be different if it was a boss like Anti-Monitor who would be way too huge to make sense as a playable character. Both Darkseid and Doomsday make sense as bosses, but also as playable characters.

MK9 had an unplayable Shao Kahn, but MKvsDC had both a playable Shao Kahn and Darkseid. So let's hope.

What? When did that happen? I know Orion could take Darkseid, but Doomsday did? Darkseid would just omega beam that shit.
In Doomsday's first story arc, IIRC. In the most typical "let's have the new villain beat up the strongest one so that he looks stronger" fashion.

well has anyone other than Doomsday actually managed to 'kill' Superman? I mean, he's no weakling I don't find it hard to believe he could take on Darkseid.

Gleethor

So I was thinking that a potentially great follow up to the upcoming Injustice game (if its successful enough) could be a DC vs Marvel fighter in the same vein. There have been crossovers in the past, and WB is even publishing Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

Here's my hypothetical roster with each character having a "rival" from the opposing brand. Let me know what you think or if there are better matchups that I overlooked.

DC v Marvel

Superman v The Hulk
Batman v Captain America
Wonder Woman v Thor
Flash v Spiderman
Green Lantern v Iron Man
Lobo v Wolverine
Green Arrow v Hawkeye
Black Canary v Black Widow
Captain Marvel v Ms Marvel
Aquaman v Antman
Cyborg v War Machine
Deathstroke v Deadpool
Lex Luthor v Mandarin
Joker v Green Goblin
Circe v Loki
Solomon Grundy v Juggernaut
Sinestro v Magneto
The Spectre v Silver Surfer
Atrocitus v Carnage
Jonah Hex v The Punisher
Doomsday v Doctor Doom
Steel v Colossus
Etrigan v Ghost Rider
Nightwing v Daredevil
Darkseid v Thanos
Martian Manhunter v Doctor Strange
Power Girl v Storm
Swamp Thing v The Thing

Makonero

So I was thinking that a potentially great follow up to the upcoming Injustice game (if its successful enough) could be a DC vs Marvel fighter in the same vein. There have been crossovers in the past, and WB is even publishing Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

Here's my hypothetical roster with each character having a "rival" from the opposing brand. Let me know what you think or if there are better matchups that I overlooked.

DC v Marvel

Superman v The Hulk
Batman v Captain America
Wonder Woman v Thor
Flash v Spiderman
Green Lantern v Iron Man
Lobo v Wolverine
Green Arrow v Hawkeye
Black Canary v Black Widow
Captain Marvel v Ms Marvel
Aquaman v Antman
Cyborg v War Machine
Deathstroke v Deadpool
Lex Luthor v Mandarin
Joker v Green Goblin
Circe v Loki
Solomon Grundy v Juggernaut
Sinestro v Magneto
The Spectre v Silver Surfer
Atrocitus v Carnage
Jonah Hex v The Punisher
Doomsday v Doctor Doom
Steel v Colossus
Etrigan v Ghost Rider
Nightwing v Daredevil
Darkseid v Thanos
Martian Manhunter v Doctor Strange
Power Girl v Storm
Swamp Thing v The Thing

Shouldn't it be Ant Man vs. the Atom? and Aquaman vs. The Sub-Mariner?

Top Bottom