• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intermittent fasting: is there anybody out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally started this while working. My days are long, 10+ daily most days and the stress puts me off eating. Just have drinks, maybe some nuts during the day. No breakfast, almost never lunch. Full dinner. Dropped about 20 lbs since. Feel tired diring day but if I have a yogurt for lunch I'm good.

arigato

I hate many food and chewing so I am always doing this. I'm probably going to fast for longer now at least until the full moon arrives.
I've found IF is fucking easy with keto, because on keto I can go super long periods without being hungry. My body might be like, hmm, food would be good at some point, but I can go hours beyond that before eating and it's fine.
Definitely easier without sugar and starch.

Calorie restriction has proven to not work well for weight loss. If you're interested in losing weight fast and easy, look into starting a keto diet.

Including IF with keto and you'll likely start seeing results quicker.

Any sources for the notion that calorie restriction does not result in weight loss? Perhaps you mean that it's tough to stay on a calorie restricted diet but Keto diets also rely on caloric deficits. Keto diets are great, but that does not mean that calorie reduction doesn't work. Calorie reduction is the entire basis of weight loss. Calories are units of energy measurement and fat is how our bodies store excess energy.

If you are eating healthy and working out but aren't losing weight, then you need to eat fewer calories. Whether you do it through a keto diet or standard calorie restriction will simply affect how efficiently you burn fat and what the affects are on body composition.

Started this about a month ago. The 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 reserved for meals) method works well enough for me. Dropped 10 lbs (was really only trying to drop 5 or so, lol) in 2-3 weeks, too.

Actually thinking about giving 20:4 a whirl at some point, though

I wonder how can you bulk with that...
Is it more effective?

You can bulk on IF but it's tough because you have to squeeze all of your food to create a caloric surplus into a very short time period. The effects vary from person to person, but your food choices, macronutrients and lifting program will have a much greater impact on your results than meal timing.

Some people find it hard to lift in a fasted state while some people have no problem. You could also schedule your eating window around your workout time so that you're able to eat before and after but fast the rest of the day.

Disxo

You can bulk on IF but it's tough because you have to squeeze all of your food to create a caloric surplus into a very short time period. The effects vary from person to person, but your food choices, macronutrients and lifting program will have a much greater impact on your results than meal timing.

Some people find it hard to lift in a fasted state while some people have no problem. You could also schedule your eating window around your workout time so that you're able to eat before and after but fast the rest of the day.
Well, there is no harm in trying, I can workout during the period of eating.

Well, there is no harm in trying, I can workout during the period of eating.

Really that's the key to any diet and exercise regiment. Different methods have different positives and negatives but the biggest factor over a long timeline is personal effort. If a regiment works great but you hate it, then you'll likely revert to your norms soon enough. But if you try IF while bulking and enjoy it, then you'll stick to it longer and have an excellent tool in your belt for whenever you want to bulk.

Tevious

I don't eat. Eating makes me poop and poop stinks.

Honestly, I eat only eat one meal a day. Usually dinner. I've been doing that for a decade or longer. Sometimes I break out of that habit for short times where I will eat 2 meals a day, but not often. I'm so used to it that I don't get hungry until I haven't eaten for 20 or more hours. I never feel like I'm out of energy. I usually eat some kind of meat and vegetables. I try to avoid grains and other carbohydrates. I only ever drink water or low calorie flavored water (drink mix) and the rare exception of a soda when it comes included with my meal and I don't have a choice. I gain weight easily, so I have to eat this way just to maintain a body weight. Something is wrong with my metabolism, but I never could find out what that is.

I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now and already notice a small body fat decrease

I don't think I'm eating enough calories every day though, its hard to eat ~2000 calories within 8 hours, at least for me

zewone

Any sources for the notion that calorie restriction does not result in weight loss? Perhaps you mean that it's tough to stay on a calorie restricted diet but Keto diets also rely on caloric deficits. Keto diets are great, but that does not mean that calorie reduction doesn't work. Calorie reduction is the entire basis of weight loss. Calories are units of energy measurement and fat is how our bodies store excess energy.

If you are eating healthy and working out but aren't losing weight, then you need to eat fewer calories. Whether you do it through a keto diet or standard calorie restriction will simply affect how efficiently you burn fat and what the affects are on body composition.

If weight loss was as easy as calories in and calories out, people would have figured out weight loss a long time ago. All calories are not created equal.

Calorie restriction while on a non keto diet means your metabolism will lower because your body will get used to the calorie restricted norm so you're actually making things worse for yourself.

Fasting and ketosis will do the opposite. Your metabolism will actually increase, because your body is not actually been calorie restricted. Your body is getting all the calories/energy from your body as well as the food you eat so it has plenty of nutrients.

Dr. Jason Fung explains it in this article:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/

He also goes over it in many of his lectures:

https://youtu.be/tIuj-oMN-Fk

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I tried it and wasn't really blown away by the results. But perhaps I didn't do it long enough. Also, the temptation to do cheat days every now and then was insanely high since you're always starved.

I would recommend everyone to just stash these exotic diets and stick to normal "8 meals a day" with caloric deficit. I mean, this is usually the first diet you read about and if you do it right it really is the most effective one. It's also the one that makes most sense (--> high metabolism because your body is constantly working, no need to store much fat because you constantly supply food etc.).

zewone

I tried it and wasn't really blown away by the results. But perhaps I didn't do it long enough. Also, the temptation to do cheat days every now and then was insanely high since you're always starved.

I would recommend everyone to just stash these exotic diets and stick to normal "8 meals a day" with caloric deficit. I mean, this is usually the first diet you read about and if you do it right it really is the most effective one. It's also the one that makes most sense (--> high metabolism because your body is constantly working, no need to store much fat because you constantly supply food etc.).

The idea of eating 8 meals a day to lose weight is pretty hilarious.

arigato

The idea of eating 8 meals a day to lose weight is pretty hilarious.
Agreed lol, my body would puke that all up at that rate. I could only see 8 meals a day being viable if the feedings consisted of mono mealing delicious juicy fruits.

120v

i've been doing it for about 3 months now ... really helps when you need to lean out in a reasonably short amount of time.

i think the key is to know the difference between fasting and starving yourself. especially if you're putting in some hard workouts, food is key to recovery, so don't think you just *have* to fast every single day

Greddleok

Mostly bullshit. Fasting can be good for you, but I don't think intermittent fasting is the silver bullet for weight loss. In the end, you just have to be eating fewer calories than you need.
For some people having a set time makes it easier, for others it's difficult to do.

I also really dislike the idea of skipping breakfast, it's been shown that eating more calories at the end of the day, opposed to the start results in a slower and even stalling weight loss compared to eating more at the start. I can't skip dinner though...family commitments.

spootime

Mostly bullshit. Fasting can be good for you, but I don't think intermittent fasting is the silver bullet for weight loss. In the end, you just have to be eating fewer calories than you need.
For some people having a set time makes it easier, for others it's difficult to do.

I also really dislike the idea of skipping breakfast, it's been shown that eating more calories at the end of the day, opposed to the start results in a slower and even stalling weight loss compared to eating more at the start. I can't skip dinner though...family commitments.

Do you have a link to the claim about meal timing? I havent heard about that, and I eat most of my calories before bed.

I do agree with your first point though. For me, Its just pretty easy to go a long time without eating. The hunger only gets bad towards the end of the day before my workout. Then I lift and its eating time. I dont think there's anything inherently special about IF; I think its just a lot easier for most people to simply not eat rather than meticulously measure their calorie input and macros.

120v

i don't think any knowledgeable nutritionist would agree its BS, unless you want to get into arguments about how not eating will wreck your metabolism or whatever

logic behind it is quite sound - your body's in a fasted state, not being pumped full of insulin, it runs on fat reserves.

zewone

Do you have anything to back up your claims? It seems like you might actually need to do more research or actually fully commit before labeling anything as bullshit.

Spreading misinformation can be dangerous.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I wonder how can you bulk with that...
Is it more effective?
There has to be a fat burning / better nutrient partitioning component to it because I can eat a stupid amount of food on IF and still keep my abs. I'm talking Kobiyashi style eating. It's a slower bulk but a better one.

Cutting on IF is even easier. It's​ like your body thinks fat is now the enemy.

Crayolan

2 meals a day has been my normal mode of operations for years. I wake up so late nowadays that breakfast isn't even an option.

Transitioning from 3 meals a day down to 2 or less is rough for a week or two, but eventually you get used to it. Sometimes I even do 1 meal in a day when I'm too lazy to go out and get food. That's only every once in a while though, doing that for multiple days in a row can get uncomfortable.

KonradLaw

I do. I fast 16 hours every day (ie...I only eat during 8 hour period each day). And I do 36hours fasts every day.

My advice? Go low carb, preferably into ketosis. This kills hunger and I doubt I would be able to last 36 hours without eating and not feel like shit if I wasn't eating low-carb.

KonradLaw

It's also the one that makes most sense (--> high metabolism because your body is constantly working, no need to store much fat because you constantly supply food etc.).

That's a complete myth. It doesn't matter if you eat same ammount of food in one meal or spread it through the day into 5-8 meals. Your metabolism isn't furnace that needs to be supplied regularly every few hours.

The real reason why people started promoting 5-8 meals a day is because those diets were very high on sugar and suger can stay for a very short period of time in your bloodstream. Which means that you get sugar lows, start to feel hungry and need to eat more sugar.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm interested in trying this.
I work out in the evenings so I tend to eat my last meal at 10pm before bed at 12.

If I don't eat again until 11am is that enough fasting time?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
That's a complete myth. It doesn't matter if you eat same ammount of food in one meal or spread it through the day into 5-8 meals. Your metabolism isn't furnace that needs to be supplied regularly every few hours.

The real reason why people started promoting 5-8 meals a day is because those diets were very high on sugar and suger can stay for a very short period of time in your bloodstream. Which means that you get sugar lows, start to feel hungry and need to eat more sugar.
It's not a myth when you got it confirmed by yourself. I've tried everything over the past 6-7 years. Keto, Intermitted Fasting, High Carb... you name it.

This works amazingly if you do it right. Problem is, most people don't and then complain it's not working. You got to be extremely strict. That means getting up every day early to eat. And yes, that means no long sleepovers on weekend. People who claim it doesn't work are usually the ones who follow the proper routine somehow during the week and the completely fuck it up on the weekend. I must know, it was one of them.

But hey, do whatever useless diet you guys wanna do I guess.

KonradLaw

It's not a myth when you got it confirmed by yourself. I've tried everything over the past 6-7 years. Keto, Intermitted Fasting, High Carb... you name it.

This works amazingly if you do it right. Problem is, most people don't and then complain it's not working. You got to be extremely strict. That means getting up every day early to eat. And yes, that means no long sleepovers on weekend. People who claim it doesn't work are usually the ones who follow the proper routine somehow during the week and the completely fuck it up on the weekend. I must know, it was one of them.

But hey, do whatever useless diet you guys wanna do I guess.
It workedd for you because the regiment made it easier to stick it for you personally. For other people it completely destroys any chance they have for weight loss, as small sizes never make them feel "full" and thus each of those 8 meals is bigger than it should.

But those are all personal preferences. Your body doesn't care at all if you eat those 8 meals at once or spread it through the day. Any advantage you got from it is all in your head. Of course, if it works then good for you. Placebo also works for many people.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It workedd for you because the regiment made it easier to stick it for you personally. For other people it completely destroys any chance they have for weight loss, as small sizes never make them feel "full" and thus each of those 8 meals is bigger than it should.

But those are all personal preferences. Your body doesn't care at all if you eat those 8 meals at once or spread it through the day. Any advantage you got from it is all in your head. Of course, if it works then good for you. Placebo also works for many people.
You got that from broscience issue 14? I read that, it's amazing.

I read enough studies to know there is one for everything. What I am saying here is stuff that I have personally tested over the years - not read somewhere or heard from someone. You guys may follow my advise or you may not. I don't really care.

I can personally vouch that this kind of diet/nutrition is the absolute best there is for high fat, low muscle loss - especially if you combine it with gym training or cardio. If you have steady workday pattern, do it. Results will blow you away.

Of course, if one works in changing shifts, this'll probably not work. For those people intermitted fasting is probably a solution, idk.

G.ZZZ

I'm not sure what that is, exactly, but I suspect I've been an intermittent faster for the last decade or so.

I don't ever eat breakfast, and I eat lunch at 1pm. Then I eat dinner at 6pm and that's pretty much it. I'll sometimes snack at about 9pm but not usually. Means I eat almost all of my food between 1pm and 6pm. Feels totally natural to me - the reason I do it is because if I eat before 12pm I just feel like shit - guaranteed.

Not sure why it's called a 'fast' if it doesn't last more than a day, though. What I do is just normal eating, imo.

This. Lots of people in Italy tend to have very light breakfasts or just coffee/tea. Was normal for me for the longest times, but since i started lifting every day i'm simply way too hungry to not eat in the mornings.

hi fam

just as a side note I'd like to add that I've given up wheat and only eat it rarely

I srsly think wheat wreaks havoc on your system.. I feel "cleaner" inside

MBiNZu

Neo Member
I've been trying out IF for the past week or so as I'm trying to get back in shape. For me it's a bit easier to just skip a meal or two daily than to try to rein in how much I eat at every meal.

Anybody here with experience doing IF? Tips/tricks/results?

I think what helps is a motivation other that losing weight.
I sometimes skip lunch to finish work earlier to go home earlier avoiding traffic and spending more time at home.

Good luck

iosa

I used to do this during my diet on the weekends. Tried to eat at 8pm then go to bed late so i could sleep until noon which helped with the hunger.
I weighted myself before and after the weekends and that's where I was losing weight.

I did lose 100 lbs during that period (10-12 months)

I did for a few months and lost a little weight. Then I got a boring as fuck job and that the end of that. (Hard to not snack to stay stimulated.)

Calorie restriction has proven to not work well for weight loss. If you're interested in losing weight fast and easy, look into starting a keto diet.

Including IF with keto and you'll likely start seeing results quicker.

batman.png
batman.png
batman.png

receipts pls

After spending 10 days in December doing Clear Liquid and Soft diet (the closest I will be to fasting) and losing 6 kg in the process, I'm not ever doing a fast. I considered it before this, but right now I'd rather be a fat hippo.

Guess what macronutrient requires the most energy for the body to breakdown and digest? Protein

Guess what macronutirent is required for muscle synthesis and maintenance? Protein

Guess what macro provides the most satiety? Protein. Then fat. Carbs dead last.

High protein, medium/high good fat, carbs 90% from fruit and veges is the best diet to stick to.

Keyouta

Coffee with a little 2% milk in the morning breaks my fast, doesn't it? I'll have to stop taking it with milk. Is it over ice just as good?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
How would I do this or a combination with keto if I will be going out for drinks for the next four Fridays? How much does alcohol mess me up. :(

Coffee with a little 2% milk in the morning breaks my fast, doesn't it? I'll have to stop taking it with milk. Is it over ice just as good?

Drink it black. I stopped drinking coffee with milk years ago and haven't looked back. Now if I try coffee with even a tiny bit of milk, I find it disgusting.

However, I do sometimes crave a sweet drink and what I've found is that iced black coffee without anything added somehow tastes sweeter. I'd try that.

zewone

batman.png
batman.png
batman.png

receipts pls

http://www.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=233390985

If you eat 8 burgers, yes. Eat 8 times a day with caloric intake of around 2000 and then watch your weight melt.
This is completely false. You're making your body do so much more work digesting all those meals. Any benefits of fasting would vanish. Why would your body fat disappear if you're constantly eating. Body fat is stored food for your body. If you're feeding yourself, your body would have no reason to 'eat' it's stored food. There's a reason people do not starve when fasting, because it's literally getting all your daily calorie/nutrients from it's stored food resources.

zewone

How would I do this or a combination with keto if I will be going out for drinks for the next four Fridays? How much does alcohol mess me up. :(

Drink it black. I stopped drinking coffee with milk years ago and haven't looked back. Now if I try coffee with even a tiny bit of milk, I find it disgusting.

However, I do sometimes crave a sweet drink and what I've found is that iced black coffee without anything added somehow tastes sweeter. I'd try that.

Regarding alcohol. It was one of the things I did give up for keto, but it can still be enjoyed from time to time.

Vodka and club soda is what I usually ordered. No carbs.

So a no carbs alcoholic drink will not kick you out of ketosis, but it will be put you on pause until your body processes the alcohol.

During the time your body is breaking down alcohol it cannot also break down body fat. Once the alcohol is done, it will go back to eating body fat.

I would just say drink responsibly and you can still enjoy social drinks.

Greddleok

Do you have a link to the claim about meal timing? I havent heard about that, and I eat most of my calories before bed.

I do agree with your first point though. For me, Its just pretty easy to go a long time without eating. The hunger only gets bad towards the end of the day before my workout. Then I lift and its eating time. I dont think there's anything inherently special about IF; I think its just a lot easier for most people to simply not eat rather than meticulously measure their calorie input and macros.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3756673/
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v39/n12/full/ijo2015138a.html
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2009.264/full (note done in mice, so it's the inverse)
https://academic.oup.com/endo/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/en.2009-0864 (again, done in nocturnal animals, so it's the inverse).

There's a ton of data out there on eating in the active phase, which helps with weights loss, and prevents weight gain associated with shift work.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(12)00189-1

This is the only study I can find on intermittent fasting, and as far as I know (could be wrong) it's not been replicated in humans. Note, it's also not about losing weight, it's about avoiding GAINING weight when on a high fat diet. There was no benefit over ad lib feeding when on a normal diet. Pretty much why it's not really relevant.
Intermittent fasting is much more about calorie restriction within a time point. You could fast for 1 day a week for a similar effect. AMPK activation, then mTOR rebound activation.

It's kinda funny how I come in here with the null hypothesis and get asked for evidence. While those who are claiming it works seem to be content with anecdotal, and even worse, personal anecdotal evidence.

spootime

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2009.264/full (note done in mice, so it's the inverse)
https://academic.oup.com/endo/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/en.2009-0864 (again, done in nocturnal animals, so it's the inverse).

There's a ton of data out there on eating in the active phase, which helps with weights loss, and prevents weight gain associated with shift work.

This is the only study I can find on intermittent fasting, and as far as I know (could be wrong) it's not been replicated in humans. Note, it's also not about losing weight, it's about avoiding GAINING weight when on a high fat diet. There was no benefit over ad lib feeding when on a normal diet. Pretty much why it's not really relevant.
Intermittent fasting is much more about calorie restriction within a time point. You could fast for 1 day a week for a similar effect. AMPK activation, then mTOR rebound activation.

It's kinda funny how I come in here with the null hypothesis and get asked for evidence. While those who are claiming it works seem to be content with anecdotal, and even worse, personal anecdotal evidence.

I don't think its too strange that you would be asked for evidence. The common belief (AFAIK) is that meal timing is irrelevant. Thanks for the links, its definitely interesting. I'll try to incorporate this into my diet.

Again, I agree that I haven't seen anything that would make me think eating 2000 calories within 4 hours is better or worse than eating it spread across 8 meals. Its just easier for a lot of people. I would be curious to see if there are any studies that show eating those 2000 calories in 4 hours is less effective for saving muscle and losing fat.

zewone

These studies were done based on an insulin/carb based diet. It's something to keep in mind.

batman.png
batman.png
batman.png

receipts pls

I've lost over 80 lbs on a "low carb diet" (less than 100g a day) I lost an additional 40 on keto.

Day 3 of my extended fast. Still dragging a bit but I chalk that up more to my heavy workout earlier. The only non-water thing I've had is chicken broth near the end of day 1 cause I felt a little funky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom