• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introductory Posting - Chris from Microsoft!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GhaleonEB said:
Yes. For the low low price of $399.

$299--my HDD is still okay (as far as I know). But I'm giving Sony and Nintendo all my money this year. Note to Microsoft: make better razors if you want to keep selling razor blades.

Flo_Evans

is vista still going to let you watch .wmvs from your PC? When is that shit coming out? Why can't you watch .wmvs from a external USB drive?

Curry

Flo_Evans said:
Why did you let dead rising through QC?
Because it adheres to QC standards. Whether that means those QC standards may need to be tightened a bit to cater for idiots with nearly dead 15 year old rabbit-eared 15" TVs is a better question I suppose.
Why is there no MSN messenger or IE for the 360?
Because it is a games console and not a computer. Microsoft have been quite adamant on their stance on this, and imho rightfully so.
why am I asking these questions I know you can't answer? :lol
Well I found at least these 2 quite easy. The J Allard ones are tougher, but my dollar is still on "Xboy".

Safe Bet

Banned
Curry said:
Because it is a games console and not a computer. Microsoft have been quite adamant on their stance on this, and imho rightfully so.
It's not a computer?

That's funny because it sure looks like one with all that fancy electronics shit inside it...

I guess you mean it's not a PC, correct?

Why does Micorsoft feel I should only be able to acces the web through a PC?

It seems strange I can access the web through a cheap ass cell phone but not my $400 console.

Curry

Safe Bet said:
It's not a computer?

That's funny because it sure looks like one with all that fancy electronics shit inside it...

I guess you mean it's not a PC, correct?

Why does Micorsoft feel I should only be able to acces the web through a PC?

It seems strange I can access the web through a cheap ass cell phone but not my $400 console.
If "fancy electronic shit" is the criterium for having to be able to get on the internet I wonder why there's no MSN on my central heating, my car, my television and my microwave. Because a microwave is for nuking food, a car is for driving, a console is for gaming: the KISS-concept.

If simple logic like "keep the things for what they're meant to do" doesn't catch on with you, please tell me when the last time was you heard of someone having to reinstall their personal COMPUTER because they had assembled 95 spyware programs, 47 viruses and 162 trojans on their machine in 3 months of "just surfing the web and chatting a bit on MSN". After those painful memories of adware removers and virusscanners, please rethink the "wonderful idea" of letting that loose on your games console.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome Chris.

JSRF, SHENMUE2, OUTRUN 2, PANZER DRAGOON ORTA, PSYCHONAUGHTS. BC. NOW.

Jiggy

Oh, good. Now when I say negative things about Microsoft, I can be more sure than usual that they hurt someone or other. :D

But seriously, nah, I like knowing people involved with gaming are out there.

bumpkin

Backward mother-f'ing Compatibility update for Psychonauts, Oddworld Stranger's Wrath and Panzer Dragoon Orta. That is all.

Oh, and SF3 3rd Strike because a lot of GAF'ers have been asking for that too!

Arsenal

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Kangu said:
The problem is the average gaffer is way too informed for these community reps. Anything they know that people actually want to know they can't talk about. What they can talk about is already known or no one cares about. People want to know how many polygons Master Chief's face is made out of, not when the Master Chief faceplate is coming out.

This is quite true in most cases. Official info almost always comes too late and the standard PR speak is never really useful (or welcome). So what do you think you will be able to actually add to the community here at GAF?

bengraven

I have a question: why do I have to pay 140 dollars to fix what looks like a simple problem with my 360? And ship it away for a few months?

Arsenal

sangreal said:
You should ask amirm on avsforum (corporate vp of media group), but its obvious: HD-DVD uses more MS patents than Blu-ray so they make more money from it. Hurting the PS3 and Java are added benefits. Also, its important for them to get studios to use VC-1 because it will help in the proliferation of VC-1 into other areas like digital television. HD-DVD studios have been more welcoming to vc-1

From what I have heard, VC-1 was really where they started getting into the game. Then they decided to pitch iHD for the interface as well and Blu-Ray shot them down so they started aligning more with HD DVD to battle the Java based interface.

I seem to remember the "official" reason they went with HD DVD was because they had more consumer friendly (and PC friendly) managed copy protection schemes. Same reason some studios went with Blu-Ray
so they could stick it to their customers

sangreal

Arsenal said:
From what I have heard, VC-1 was really where they started getting into the game. Then they decided to pitch iHD for the interface as well and Blu-Ray shot them down so they started aligning more with HD DVD to battle the Java based interface.

I seem to remember the "official" reason they went with HD DVD was because they had more consumer friendly (and PC friendly) managed copy protection schemes. Same reason some studios went with Blu-Ray
so they could stick it to their customers

sounds about right on all accounts. I actually find the iHD vs BD-J battle more interesting than the overall format war since thats really the biggest difference between the formats at this point. Both formats have (imo) enough space, they support the same codecs, managed copy, etc. Also, its fun to see Talkstr8 (from Sun Microsystems) fight with Amir all day on avsforum

the official line also included stuff like replication costs, etc. which obviously don't actually impact microsoft

Safe Bet

Banned
Curry said:
If simple logic like "keep the things for what they're meant to do" doesn't catch on with you, please tell me when the last time was you heard of someone having to reinstall their personal COMPUTER because they had assembled 95 spyware programs, 47 viruses and 162 trojans on their machine in 3 months of "just surfing the web and chatting a bit on MSN". After those painful memories of adware removers and virusscanners, please rethink the "wonderful idea" of letting that loose on your games console.
So that's your logic?

If Microsfts lets my Console out into the dark world of the Internet I will be attacked by an onslaught of bad things?

OH NOESSSSSS!!!!!

It just seems really starnge both the Wii and the PS3 will have Internet browsing capablities yet the 360 does not...

Are you sure the reason isn't because Microsft has a inherent conflict of interest and does not want to divert consumers away from the PC market?

Think about it. Considering how many various devices can connect to the web now a days, it seems rather silly $400 console can't.

Brofist

Curry said:
If "fancy electronic shit" is the criterium for having to be able to get on the internet I wonder why there's no MSN on my central heating, my car, my television and my microwave. Because a microwave is for nuking food, a car is for driving, a console is for gaming: the KISS-concept.

yeah viruses and spyware are a real problem when I use my PSP to browse and when I used to use DC for browsing. actually no not really.

Safe Bet said:
So that's your logic?

If Microsfts lets my Console out into the dark world of the Internet I will be attacked by an onslaught of bad things?

OH NOESSSSSS!!!!!

It just seems really starnge both the Wii and the PS3 will have Internet browsing capablities yet the 360 does not...

Are you sure the reason isn't because Microsft has a inherent conflict of interest and does not want to divert consumers away from the PC market?

Think about it. Considering how many various devices can connect to the web now a days, it seems rather silly $400 console can't.

My iPod can't do it either, and it's much more expensive than a cell phone that can. Some things are just meant to do certain things.

Flo_Evans

BenjaminBirdie said:
My iPod can't do it either, and it's much more expensive than a cell phone that can. Some things are just meant to do certain things.

where do you plug the ethernet cable into your ipod? and hey let the paid proffesional answer damnit!

heres another one, why can't I go to best buy and buy media center? I want my WMVs (on my TV)!

arne

meltpotato said:
Hey Chris, when the hell is the official start-time for the Microsoft TGS Press Event?

(or Arne :))

oh I see, I'm just an afterthought now, after all we've been though...

It starts at Japan o'clock.

arne

Himuro said:
No you're wrong!

arne_avatar.jpg

I'm totally going to change that into a broken heart. emo avatar ftl.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything about the press conference until late night/early morning Pacific time. it's like mid-afternoon in Japan when it starts

arne said:
I'm totally going to change that into a broken heart. emo avatar ftl.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything about the press conference until late night/early morning Pacific time. it's like mid-afternoon in Japan when it starts

So like around 9 AM EST? (You know, the REAL time zone?)

:D

arne

BenjaminBirdie said:
So like around 9 AM EST? (You know, the REAL time zone?)

:D

whatever, you east coasters think you're all cool and stuff, but PST is where it's at. -8 GMT reprazent yo!

You'll know before 9am EST.

This thread is GAF personified: knee-jerk hostility, self-righteousness, narcissism, cheerleading, off-topic rambling, off-topic flame wars, completely pointless arguments, and unbridled perversion.

Keep up the good work

LukeSmith

Arsenal said:
So what do you think you will be able to actually add to the community here at GAF?

This is a question that 95% of the GAF users should have to answer before someone who actually works in the game industry beyond "Did you want to get a service plan for that?" does.

arne

BenjaminBirdie said:
AUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH so I have to stay up??????

ARNE.

STOP SUCKING UP TO ME. STOP IT. ;)

yeah, it's one of those stay up for you east coasters. that's what you get for saying the crap you did. or go take a nap at 10pm, wake up in several hours. you should be fine.

oh and, kangu, I HEAR THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE that you might want to stay up for this too. but I woudn't know, I just overheard it in the hallway. you know, like second hand.

Zonar

Scoot said:
Arsenal said:
So what do you think you will be able to actually add to the community here at GAF?
This is a question that 95% of the GAF users should have to answer before someone who actually works in the game industry beyond "Did you want to get a service plan for that?" does.
QFT

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
arne said:
no, we drew straws.

chris got phantom dust.

chespace got advent rising

jesiatha got ootogi

stinkles got shrek super party

WTF, who is working on rallisport 2 then???????? ARRRGGGGH

Flo_Evans

Scoot said:

eh? we are the ones that actually you know BUY shit so you jerks have jobs? :lol

Tony HoTT

Banned
WTF is this shit?

If I wanted some asshole answering my Xbonx questions I would goto a ****ing Xbox forum or some shit.

Please GTFO!!!!!

I don't care if you post and just happen to have a job at a game company like Che or some shit but you Chris.... YOU ARE UNFORGIVEABLE AND NEED TO POLISH GAF'S COLLECTIVE CHODE WITH YOUR DIRTY TONGUE!!!!!!

GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFOGTFO GTFOGTFOGTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFOGTFO GTFO GTFO GTFOGTFOGTFOV

And then you people that actually welcome him by trying to be all civil and saying shit like "Don't mind these guys blah blah I for one welcome you!" Quit sucking up no one is gonna give you a job you pricks.

And I'll tell you now this guy isn't gonna answer any questions we actually want to know. Already in this thread all he could do is be like "blah blah it will be here soon ;)"

WTF THX YOU DUMB SLUT I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE KNOWING THAT ANNOUNCED STUFF WILL COME SOON! ESPECIALLY THANKS TO THAT COMFORTING WINK EMOTICON.

This is the extent that our new ****ing microsoft friend can help us.

In Summary: **** CHRIS!!!! GAF TURN SWEARING BACK ON PLZ!

Mojovonio

Banned
Tony HoTT said:
WTF is this shit?

If I wanted some asshole answering my Xbonx questions I would goto a ****ing Xbox forum or some shit.

Please GTFO!!!!!

I don't care if you post and just happen to have a job at a game company like Che or some shit but you Chris.... YOU ARE UNFORGIVEABLE AND NEED TO POLISH GAF'S COLLECTIVE CHODE WITH YOUR DIRTY TONGUE!!!!!!

GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFOGTFO GTFOGTFOGTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFOGTFO GTFO GTFO GTFOGTFOGTFOV

And then you people that actually welcome him by trying to be all civil and saying shit like "Don't mind these guys blah blah I for one welcome you!" Quit sucking up no one is gonna give you a job you pricks.

And I'll tell you now this guy isn't gonna answer any questions we actually want to know. Already in this thread all he could do is be like "blah blah it will be here soon ;)"

WTF THX YOU DUMB SLUT I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE KNOWING THAT ANNOUNCED STUFF WILL COME SOON! ESPECIALLY THANKS TO THAT COMFORTING WINK EMOTICON.

This is the extent that our new ****ing microsoft friend can help us.

In Summary: **** CHRIS!!!! GAF TURN SWEARING BACK ON PLZ!

WOW. You've got issues, man.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Mojovonio said:
WOW. You've got issues, man.
I know. I have issues with Chris. I met him in RL and he was dating my mom. One night they were having what I think was SEX. I'm still not sure but Chris still ****ed my mom and I want to ruin his life.

Please hlp me GAF.

arne

Tony HoTT said:
I know. I have issues with Chris. I met him in RL and he was dating my mom. One night they were having what I think was SEX. I'm still not sure but Chris still ****ed my mom and I want to ruin his life.

Please hlp me GAF.

goodbye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom