• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introductory Posting - Chris from Microsoft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
acousticvan said:
I rememeber that MS mentioned neogaf is a good place for marketing at the Leipzig GC.
Now they send a ninja to do the job.

What?

EDIT: And stop posting that picture.

mood

GhaleonEB said:
Ninja's typically don't announce themselves and solicit questions/feedback.

Thats exactly what a ninja would want you to think.
emot-ninja.gif

Ajax

Banned
GashPrex said:
So when a dev post its ok, but when its an MS guy its not? Whats the difference? They both have a admitted bias towards either their game or company. Does the spectre of large companies really scare people this much? Are game developers in any less of a bussiness? Does their bias not extend at least in some part to the platform they are developing on?

Dev's sole job isn't to PR for a company? Devs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaty more beneficial for this forum? Dev isn't gonna spent much time here to market something because he doesn't have the time?

And yes I don't like corporations that much and I'd like them to stay the **** out of these forums. And it'sok to have a couple of MS community reps in here to help people with their questions about their consoles and possible problems. I just hope they don't become too many...

Speevy

Banned
HokieJoe said:
Out em' all I say.

That means all the hardcore Sony fans who DON'T have a SDF avatar, and the Nintendo people are too dispersed. It's no surprise that MS has more people here since MS is an American company. The MS guys can tell EXACTLY what's happening with every leg of their console operation when it's appropriate.

GreekWolf

acousticvan said:
I rememeber that MS mentioned neogaf is a good place for marketing at the Leipzig GC.
It's also a common tactic of the ninja to accuse others of being ninjas, in order to shift attention away from himself.

Then I look into your post history and it all becomes clear. :)

mood said:
He's here to represent the Microsoft Community Team. As long as he follows the rules I dont see any problem here ?
It's just a matter of preference.

I'm a bit bitter on the topic in general though because the same thing happened at a MMO forum I've read for a long time. Some dev officially starts spamming the forum with his game, yet the generally very unforgiving and bitter community plants kisses at his feet simply because of who he is. It's a pretty weak and disapointing image that added decline of basically the GAF equivelent for MMOs.

Generally whenever I see official industry presence it results in a massive amout of sucking up and general b.s. If others feel different, that's fine. It's not anywhere close to being my call. But that doesn't change the fact that this is the last forum on the net that I'd want to see any company be officially represented or any game officially pimped on, and so forth. I rather see folks just shoot the sh.t like bish or others do.

36WiiS3

acousticvan said:

Isn't it about time you outed yourself. Or do you do this all for free.:lol
One of the mods may as well put the xdf tag under my name. Iam buying all three, and I ****ing hate fanboys be they M$, $ony or Nintendo. I love Sony products But I can't ****ing stand their blind ONLY SONY fanboys . I can't read a thread without hearing how It will be better on blu ray, how Dead Rising and Lost Planet are coming out on the PS3 but no exclusive from the PS3 is going to come to the 360 or how rumble is last gen or How Assasins Creed was going to be one of the PS3s best launch window games, but now it's not that good. HA ****ing Tag me. and please flame away sdf. I still love the PS3 but i can't ****ing stand the lot of you.:D

Ajax

Banned
Odysseus said:
Of course I'm not naive enough to believe that every MS rep has been accounted for. Like Speevy, for instance. ;)

But so far the score is something like 5-0-0.

Or MS's community reps have nothing to do with actual viral marketing, and MS's viral marketing division is an entirely different department. Sony and Nintendo just don't have spare community reps for the forums.

they definately have spare viral marketeers though

Ajax said:
Or MS's community reps have nothing to do with actual viral marketing, and MS's viral marketing division is an entirely different department. Sony and Nintendo just don't have spare community reps for the forums.

Resistance is futile

bg.gif

Ajax

Banned
GreekWolf said:
It's also a common tactic of the ninja to accuse others of being ninjas, in order to shift attention away from himself.

Then I look into your post history and it all becomes clear. :)

That could be said for A LOT of people here including you. ;)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Ajax said:

it's not a "division", they just contract marketing out to a company that hires viral marketers to go out and do their dirty work. Official MS reps are not viral marketers, calling them that is a stretch. "Viral marketing" is an attempt to plant positive word-of-mouth about a product amongst someone who is masquerading as one of your peers, not an official company mouthpiece.

PhatSaqs

Banned
KyanMehwulfe said:
Generally whenever I see official industry presence it results in a massive amout of sucking up and general b.s. If others feel different, that's fine. It's not anywhere close to being my call. But that doesn't change the fact that this is the last forum on the net that I'd want to see any company be officially represented or any game officially pimped on, and so forth. I rather see folks just shoot the sh.t like bish or others do.
There's a reason why folk like arne are allowed and accepted here by most and that's beacuse they generally do exactly what you said you'd like them to do. They dont post links to sites advertising for shit and they generally just act as normal GAF posters. The only excpetion is where arne might ask for suggestion for XBL or correcting erroneous info.

Ajax

Banned
Nerevar said:
it's not a "division", they just contract marketing out to a company that hires viral marketers to go out and do their dirty work. Official MS reps are not viral marketers, calling them that is a stretch. "Viral marketing" is an attempt to plant positive word-of-mouth about a product amongst someone who is masquerading as one of your peers, not an official company mouthpiece.

Maybe it's my poor wording but that's exactly what I'm saying. And yeah I know about AEG too.

Then I look into your post history and it all becomes clear.

I'm doing it as my hobby. You got to believe in s.th, don't you?

But I didn't go too far on criticizing X360 games. Never touched on Nintendo games. I do criticize PS3 games too (occasionally).

Hello.

Nice to have you on board here at GAF. ignore the rude people, please.

I am a current Xbox/PS2/Gamecube owner. My favorite genre's are RPG's (both KOTOR style and JRPG), SRPG's (Disgaea is my favorite game), Action RPG's (Baldurs Gate) , FPS, console style RTS (an infant genre) and 3rd person action titles like Devil May Cry.

I'm current holding off on all next gen consoles until around early 2008 because of the price. I took a long time to dive into last gen as well due to price concerns. Once price became a non-issue, I quickly amassed all three consoles and a library of over 160 titles- cheaply I might add! I have lots of patience and can literally wait forever until I find a price point I am satisfied with when it comes to individual games.

Please cater to my thrifty whims! (lol)

I will buy either a 360 or a PS3 first depending on a of combination price and the number of JRPG's and SRPG's on each system (closest to PS2 game proportions wins). FPS games and action titles will be pretty thick this gen so I'm not worried. Console style RTS games will help tip the scales for me!

The first to 200-ish gets a look and maybe a purchase.

Please post often here at GAF and try to be a regular. Nobody will much care about you if you don't act like your just a regular poster and relax with us. We tend to like people who act "normal" (lol) and don't act like reps, ya know?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, this doesn't skeeve me out nearly as much as jedimike's periodic whoring of XBL Diamond, so welcome Chris!

HokieJoe

Ajax said:
Dev's sole job isn't to PR for a company? Devs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaty more beneficial for this forum? Dev isn't gonna spent much time here to market something because he doesn't have the time?

And yes I don't like corporations that much and I'd like them to stay the **** out of these forums. And it'sok to have a couple of MS community reps in here to help people with their questions about their consoles and possible problems. I just hope they don't become too many...

You don't like corporations much?

You better turn in your MS, and/or Sony, and/or Nintendo card then. I hear Flash games are good. ;P

Dilbert

1) Anyone who quotes or otherwise posts the GIF from Mike Works after this point -- in this thread or any other -- is going away for a long time. I'll leave it up to someone else on the staff to figure out what the hell to do with Mike.

2) Anyone who wants to make allegations about viral marketing after this point in the thread is likely to get banned. If you have PROOF that someone is a viral marketer, PM me or another mod. If not, STFU.

3) Viral marketing is not the same thing as having a named representative on a board.

4) Welcome, Chris...I hope for your sake that they're paying you enough to put up with this crap.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm bored waiting for my primary work monitor to get fixed... :p

"Introductory Posting - Chris from Microsoft!"
-->
"The Eye of Sauron is most displeased with the goings on in your little GAF countryside, I am the new emmisary dispatched to create order in the name of our dark lord and saviour."

"Hey guys - I couldn't decide whether to put this in the Gaming, or the Off-Topic forums since it's kind of both, so pardon my poor forum etiquette if this is in the wrong area."
-->
"You shall bow down in front of me when I speak infidels, I am one of the the mouths of Sauron!"

"So don't hesitate to PM me, direct posts at me, or generally go about your normal business - we here at Microsoft are lurking in the shadows - waiting to pounce or something."
-->
"Do not speak to me unless spoken to - but you can make your daily homage to the darklord through the mouth of PM. The doors of Baradhur have lurked in shadows long enough, now it is OUR time".

"I think there are enough folks here to warrant more than one MS guy in here no?"
-->
"We're sending people to convert this and other forums to our might. Do not try to oppose us for you will be crushed."

"My main goal is to listen to you guys, and answer questions."
-->
You will all be assigned Live IDs and assimilated into MSN.

"I have a pretty tough skin, so if people want to harass, I'm capable of harassing back."
-->
Wear your LiveID at all times - less we mistake you for one of the free people and dispose of you by mistake.

"J Allard's busy solving world hunger, he'll be back with the Xbox 3 some point in the next 10 years though."
-->
Major Nelson is now lord of your local fiefdom...
Some of you will be given green armbands and tasked with the job of keeping an eye out for Sony and Nintendo subversives.

squicken

Fafalada said:

-->
"The Eye of Sauron is most displeased with the goings on in your little GAF countryside, I am the new emmisary dispatched to create order in the name of our dark lord and saviour."

"Hey guys - I couldn't decide whether to put this in the Gaming, or the Off-Topic forums since it's kind of both, so pardon my poor forum etiquette if this is in the wrong area."
-->
"You shall bow down in front of me when I speak infidels, I am one of the the mouths of Sauron!"

"So don't hesitate to PM me, direct posts at me, or generally go about your normal business - we here at Microsoft are lurking in the shadows - waiting to pounce or something."
-->
"Do not speak to me unless spoken to - but you can make your daily homage to the darklord through the mouth of PM. The doors of Baradhur have lurked in shadows long enough, now it is OUR time".

"I think there are enough folks here to warrant more than one MS guy in here no?"
-->
"We're sending people to convert this and other forums to our might. Do not try to oppose us for you will be crushed."

-->

"I have a pretty tough skin, so if people want to harass, I'm capable of harassing back."
-->
Wear your LiveID at all times - less we mistake you for one of the free people and dispose of you by mistake.

"J Allard's busy solving world hunger, he'll be back with the Xbox 3 some point in the next 10 years though."
-->
Some of you will be given green armbands and tasked with the job of keeping an eye out for Sony and Nintendo subversives.

Are you mad you weren't included in that Voltron gif?

Gattsu25

Banned
CPaladino said:
Lastly - thanks for having me here on the forums!

-Chris
Don't let these guys confuse you, no matter who you are, you will get hated on...this is GAF...while not so bad as other forums, we are a pretty non-accepting crowd.

Welcome to the fold and enjoy your stay, btw, don't let your position at MS cloud your judgement, if someone's pissing you off, insult them--hell, comment on their mother's loose c**ts, other industry folks do :b

personally, I'm glad to see this forum get more active industry people

DSN2K

theirs loads of these people on GAF and not just Microsoft ones....but Welcome to GAF if you can get over the first few months of pure abuse then your set for Life.

-jinx- said:
4) Welcome, Chris...I hope for your sake that they're paying you enough to put up with this crap.
Crap? If my job was to go onto videogame message boards and talk about videogames while delinquents post animated pictures of my face getting raped, I don't know jinx, I think that might just be the best job ever.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mike Works said:
Crap? If my job was to go onto videogame message boards and talk about videogames while delinquents post animated pictures of my face getting raped, I don't know jinx, I think that might just be the best job ever.

Amen, brother. Most people have to EARN that much ridicule.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mike Works said:

The best part is that you can include the incident - with the image - in your weekly report to the boss.

Welcome Chris... you have no idea what you're in for.

Fafalada said:

-->

-->

-->

-->

-->

-->

-->
You have waay too mcuh free time right now :lol

Norse

Cerrius said:
How many of you Microsoft "community reps" are there?

For ****'s sake.

by the looks of the daily "my x360 just broke" threads, not nearly as many as the other 2 camps employ. Least MS reps tell you they are here.

unomas

Banned
CPaladino said:
Hey guys - I couldn't decide whether to put this in the Gaming, or the Off-Topic forums since it's kind of both, so pardon my poor forum etiquette if this is in the wrong area.

My name is Chris Paladino, a small handful of you guys may know me from my days hosting the DreamStation.cc Video Game Show podcast. Recently I've been a guest on the GamerCast Network Video Game Show.

Before someone accuses me of spamming the forums with URLs let me get on with the reason I'm here...

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of being hired by Microsoft as a part of our Xbox Community Team. I do things keeping up with the community such as posting on the Gamerscoreblog, being active on forums/web pages, and generally making myself accessible to listen to the fans (and non-fans) talk about what Microsoft is doing right, wrong, and anything else that's on your minds.

I cannot guarantee that I'll be able to answer all of every one's questions, but I'll do my best to try and squelch rumors, help educate folks on issues, and be here generally as a Microsoft representative.

I'm relatively new here at NeoGAF, so it will take me a little bit to get up to speed on who is who, and what different folks' likes/dislikes are.

So don't hesitate to PM me, direct posts at me, or generally go about your normal business - we here at Microsoft are lurking in the shadows - waiting to pounce or something.

Lastly - thanks for having me here on the forums!

-Chris

Welcome to the forums. What's MS doing about all the dead 360's? I'm on my 3rd one and at this point it's getting a bit frustrating that I've gone without my $400 investement for 6 weeks in my 9 month ownership. Have they pinpointed the problem? If so have they taken steps to fix it permanently? Thanks

Norse

Mike Works said:

not if you cant respond! course you could just read them and then walk outside and smoke a pack of cigs. But I doubt that would be as calming as ripping them a new ars-hole with a reply. hehe

Norse

I will say that MS should cover their hardware for 1 yr in North America instead of that 90 bs. The system costs 400 dollars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom