• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is it safe to put a magnet on a iPhone 6? I get a car handle for my phone and its holding the phone via a magnet... But I dont want to break it...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is it safe to put a magnet on a iPhone 6? I get a car handle for my phone and its holding the phone via a magnet... But I dont want to break it...

Modern electronics are fairly safe to use around magnets, the main thing a magnet would do to your phone, depending on how strong it is, is to screw up the internal magnetometer and digital compass plus potentially temporarily magnetize any steel components inside it.

Meaning GPS and maps and so forth may be adversely affected.

Data isn't magnetically stored so that would not be a concern.

hirokazu

Is anyone else surprised at the lack of rumours for what's coming in iOS 11? We're a month out and there's basically nothing except possible dark mode rumoured a long time ago, and improved iPad and Pencil support originally thought to appear in 10.3.

I get that all the excitement is around the iPhone 8, but we're only a month out from WWDC and there's practically nothing. It suggests to me one of two scenarios: iOS 11 will be a boring update, or, they've managed to actually keep the lid tight on this one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is anyone else surprised at the lack of rumours for what's coming in iOS 11? We're a month out and there's basically nothing except possible dark mode rumoured a long time ago, and improved iPad and Pencil support originally thought to appear in 10.3.

I get that all the excitement is around the iPhone 8, but we're only a month out from WWDC and there's practically nothing. It suggests to me one of two scenarios: iOS 11 will be a boring update, or, they've managed to actually keep the lid tight on this one.
Apple OS updates are usually well kept secrets. Hardware is where they have issues.

Since iOS is all done in-house there's no real definitive way that things can leak. Supply chain leaks are where all the hardware rumors come from

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got off the line with James t Foxconn , they're finally introducing a split keyboard to the plus sized phones!!!!!!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Gurman did a pretty reliable job leaking software features for a while there, but it feels like his sources have run a little dry for the past year or so.
"We're doubling down on secrecy!"

hirokazu

Apple OS updates are usually well kept secrets. Hardware is where they have issues.
Plenty of info about iOS have leaked in previous years though. It's just this past year or so not much has happened on that front.

But in a way, it's better to be surprised by not knowing what's in store.

Blackhead

Redarse

Sketchy rumor claims iOS 11 will enhance Siri with iMessage integration, user behavior learning, more - March. 27th 2017
Apple patent describes using iMessage to talk to Siri in noisy or silent environments - May. 11th 2017

giga

Moving iMessage data to iCloud would be the best news from wwdc. It's such a common problem when people see iMessage using all their phone storage.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Moving iMessage data to iCloud would be the best news from wwdc. It's such a common problem when people see iMessage using all their phone storage.
Seriously. But it'd be a little too late for me since all my important messages are forever trapped on my old 5C which won't even get iOS 11.

But give it to me anyway. I'd be more inclined to do full clean installs if I didn't have to worry about losing the one major thing that doesn't get stored in iCloud. If they do do it, I would wish they put it in one last iOS 10 point update as well and make it merge all messages from all my devices (Hopefully individual messages have some sort of unique identifier to make sure there aren't duplicates during the merge) including my old 5C which I will gladly turn back on just to update.

Put all messages, both iMessage and SMS/MMS into an iCloud database optionally and let us access them from iCloud.com if we need to. (But obviously only allow sending and receiving of iMessages for obvious reasons obviously.) Basically like FaceBook Messenger. They could make it like iCloud Photo Library where it only stores most recent messages on the device but you can download and access the rest if you need to (By scrolling up) and all of them would be on iCloud at all times. Or optionally store the entire thing on your device. Maybe make an option where it automatically adds photos to your Library (In an album called "Photos in Messages") and removes them from the messages if they're too old, but keeps them in the Library of course. I want it to be smart enough to not keep duplicates of messaged photos. If someone sends me a message and I save it, have it move to my Library and the one in Messages becomes a link. If I take a photo and send it, make the one in Messages a link to the original. And have an option for sent GIFs to "expire" after a few days optionally. Since those can take up a lot of space if you get into a GIF war with a friend.

But I go on. We'll be lucky if we get it.

Either way, I'm excited for iOS 11 and macOS 10.13.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Last Major update for iPhone 6, right?
I can't see why it would be. The 6 is 64-bit isn't it, so it should be around for a while.

Then again it doesn't have 3D-Touch, and if the next 4" (SE replacement) has it and the new home button and Touch ID and Apple Pay then I could totally see it being on the way out. Since the 6 will most likely stop being sold when the new phones come out and shift them all down one slot. I'm sure it's in Apple's best interests to get everyone on phones with the latest and greatest stuff I mentioned above.

All pure speculation of course.

Last Major update for iPhone 6, right?

iOS 10 still supports the iPhone 5 and 5S/5C, I believe.

iOS 11 is going to end 32-bit app support, which pretty clearly means that the iPhone 5 will get cut off of support, but the iPhone 6 likely has another two years in it.

hermit7

Has anyone else had battery issues after the last update?

On the 7+ it has been draining like crazy. I know 10.3 is out now with "bug" fixes so I am hopeful that this draining issue is fixed as well.

On the 7+ it has been draining like crazy. I know 10.3 is out now with "bug" fixes so I am hopeful that this draining issue is fixed as well.

Battery drain is incredibly generic, and never universal (except if you're on a beta, normally). If you go into Settings->Battery, what's doing all the work? What version are you on now?

hirokazu

What is the "last" update you're talking about? 10.3 has been out for almost two months.

Vuze

Gotta say Universal Clipboard is incredibly dope, as is the "Cloud History" in Safari between devices. I really miss that stuff when I get back to the PC. That and all the recent problems (personal, privacy-related as well as system security) with Windows make me wish for an affordable Mac Mini / MacBook plskthx

Enco

Text based Siri in the current state seems pretty pointless.

The voice recognition is terrible but the feature set is even worse. Why would I want to text Siri to open an app or start a timer?

Text based Siri in the current state seems pretty pointless.

The voice recognition is terrible but the feature set is even worse. Why would I want to text Siri to open an app or start a timer?

I feel like if they can give us offline Siri, text-based Siri would be sufficiently easy to use that it would be a pretty harmless addition, even if it'd only actually be useful 1% of the time.

But yeah, expanded functionality remains pretty key.

I'm on the 6S+ and I'm having issues with battery drain as well. I'm not sure what it is because my battery life on 10.3.1 was amazing.

hermit7

What is the "last" update you're talking about? 10.3 has been out for almost two months.

I guess it is 10.3.1 that made the phones battery go down.

Using usual stuff like the internet etc. I was doing fine on my battery with typical use and after the update it seemed to make my battery awful. Going to like 50 percent after a few hours of use, wherein previously the battery would have been around 80 percent or so previously.

This is all what I recall, I didn't take any actual notes because I noticed it only afterwards.

I have a work phone that I haven't updated and can get a ton of use out of before needing to charge which I guess is why I could tell a difference.

hirokazu

I guess it is 10.3.1 that made the phones battery go down.

Using usual stuff like the internet etc. I was doing fine on my battery with typical use and after the update it seemed to make my battery awful. Going to like 50 percent after a few hours of use, wherein previously the battery would have been around 80 percent or so previously.

This is all what I recall, I didn't take any actual notes because I noticed it only afterwards.

I have a work phone that I haven't updated and can get a ton of use out of before needing to charge which I guess is why I could tell a difference.
Battery is pretty hard to gauge on regular wear or the OS update. What phone are you using? 80% battery after 1-2 hours and 50% after about 4 hours of continued usage seems pretty normal to me.

hermit7

Battery is pretty hard to gauge on regular wear or the OS update. What phone are you using? 80% battery after 1-2 hours and 50% after about 4 hours of continued usage seems pretty normal to me.

7+.

It seemed to be too rapid, but again I didn't take any data to be certain. I may have been even using it specifically a lot more that day than usual. Since then even though when the screen has been off there have been times where the battery has been at like 30 percent around 3 pm or so with light use.

Today for example the screen has been on for 5 hours and is sitting at 55 percent. Which seems reasonable. Maybe I was using it a bunch that day.

Dart

So is Siri really truly free yet? Haven't been following this thread, is Siri integration with Spotify still possible or the dream dead?

So is Siri really truly free yet? Haven't been following this thread, is Siri integration with Spotify still possible or the dream dead?

The title is cheeky

Siri works right now with six app categories, of which music apps are not one. WWDC in 17 days is going to be the next step, we'll see what happens

Siri never worked with Spotify so there is no "still possible"

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Siri needs to be more "out of your face" for stuff that really doesn't need user interaction.

If I set an alarm or a timer, right now I say "Hey Siri set alarm for 2PM". It brings up a full screen black background and takes over my phone while she does her thing... then it never goes away. You have to manually get rid of her even though she's done with you. There's no reason they can't make Siri more like on macOS where while she is thinking she only shows up at the top of the screen (Or bottom) as a banner like Maps shows when navigating and using another app and only when she actually needs to show you information, like if you have her perform a search, then she can expand over the screen and become modal. Most of the time she doesn't need to be there and she can easily just disappear when she's done. Setting timers and alarms is the main thing. There are others. For these things she should not be remaining in your face.

Obviously this is how it should work with Hey Siri. When you hold the Home button maybe that could bring up the full screen view, but she should still disappear when the action doesn't require any further interaction with the user.

Siri should also be seamless across all devices. And all devices should be able to tell what ones are currently being used by the user. If I say "Hey Siri" then it should decide what I'm using based on last usage, then open up the query on that device. And if it's a command that only my phone can handle, but she is talking to me on my Mac, she should say "Okay, I set a timer on your iPhone" at which point the phone lights up for a second displaying the timer. Obviously there should be options for priority, which devices to prefer first. Stuff like that. In other words, Siri should hand off stuff when needed and never complain that "I (the Mac) can't do that command" like timers and alarms, which can only be set on iOS for some silly reason.

I hope Apple's been really busy this year with iOS 11 and macOS 10.13.

Bboy AJ

Its funny how Siri went from the biggest innovation to the worst voice assistent on the market
It was never the biggest innovation. Google has always been ahead of the game since day one. You just ate the marketing right up.

Mortemis

Banned
huh, so this is weird. I was using safari and out of nowhere the gray part in the address bar disappeared. Has this happen before?

D9gBcbE.png

here it is in private:

huh, so this is weird. I was using safari and out of nowhere the gray part in the address bar disappeared. Has this happen before?

here it is in private:

Looks like a glitch where it's stuck in between the scrolling view and the normal view. I assume a force quit or phone restart fixed it?

Mistake

Its funny how Siri went from the biggest innovation to the worst voice assistent on the market
She understands perfectly well when I swear at her, but when I need something? Nope. Best I can do it check time and weather. What is even more frustrating is that I'm unable to change what search engine siri uses by default unless I'm specific. It seems tied to my isp.

She understands perfectly well when I swear at her, but when I need something? Nope. Best I can do it check time and weather. What is even more frustrating is that I'm unable to change what search engine siri uses by default unless I'm specific. It seems tied to my isp.

Nah, Siri uses Bing by default (at least in the US?) because that's Apple's contract with Microsoft. Came about during their "Fuck you, Google" phase

Mistake

Nah, Siri uses Bing by default (at least in the US?) because that's Apple's contract with Microsoft. Came about during their "Fuck you, Google" phase
In china the default is baidu. So usually I get a dash of what I want, something completely unrelated, and erotica

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't dare go in there, want to give me a brief summary of what's happening? I know the gist of what they're talking about
Like always, people are freaking out that Apple forces Apps to use thier IAP System and want to get their 30% share.
Didnt read it in detail, its to much stupid to spend time on it

Bboy AJ

Like always, people are freaking out that Apple forces Apps to use thier IAP System and want to get their 30% share.
Didnt read it in detail, its to much stupid to spend time on it
Of course you didn't read it in detail. Why would you ever carefully consider your position and the arguments instead of jumping to a conclusion? Surely you have an immediately intuitive reason why Paypal is exempt but WeChat isn't, all while everyone else is "to much stupid."

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Of course you didn't read it in detail. Why would you ever carefully consider your position and the arguments instead of jumping to a conclusion? Surely you have an immediately intuitive reason why Paypal is exempt but WeChat isn't, all while everyone else is "to much stupid."
Cause Banking Apps are handled different.
Makes sense to me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But Apple considers Paypal a Banking/Money Transfering App and not as a Messengers that also can send money.
WeChat could make a Standalone App for that, pretty sure it would work in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom