• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Wait, the 8s have HDR too?
The Apple site says only the X has HDR.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/

Video Playback
Video formats supported: HEVC, H.264, MPEG-4 Part 2, and Motion JPEG
Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 content
AirPlay Mirroring, photos, and video out to Apple TV (2nd generation or later)6
Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)6

Like the new iPad Pros, it’s just the wide color. There’s no local dimming for better blacks or anything

ZeroX03

Banned
Slide to multitask from spotlight search not working for anyone? Feels like multitasking has sort of taken a step back in that respect.

Also not sure I like how iPhone and iPad diverged a little here. Not as cohesive. I get that it makes iPad more productive but it just feels weird learning two different machine's worth of habits.

Slide to multitask from spotlight search not working for anyone? Feels like multitasking has sort of taken a step back in that respect.

Also not sure I like how iPhone and iPad diverged a little here. Not as cohesive. I get that it makes iPad more productive but it just feels weird learning two different machine's worth of habits.

Slide to multitasking from search does not work, no

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Everything looks really nice on first glance. I like the new bar thing on the bottom and switching between apps feels a lot nicer. It also seems to have freed up a couple gigs of memory.

Is it normal for upgrading to drain about 5% of your battery? Hopefully.

I'm going to be updating my iPad to iOS 11 this weekend. I'm excited to update since the multitasking stuff seems extremely useful for my work and the classes I teach at an all-iPad school. However, the teleprompter app that I use to record announcements for my TV production class is no longer going to work with iOS 11.

It's an odd request, but does anybody know of a good teleprompter app that will work with 64-bit/iOS 11?

Paragon

Am I doing something wrong or is Calendar supposed to feel janky?
Moving appointments to a new day by hand is an absolute mess, it feels far worse than 10
Do yourself a favor and switch to Fantastical.
Spend a bit of time setting it up (there are a lot of options) and you’ll never look back.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/
Like the new iPad Pros, it’s just the wide color. There’s no local dimming for better blacks or anything
I hope that includes support for the iPhones 7 as well, since they also have P3 displays.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there any way to stop Screen Recording without popping up the control centre or pressing the red title bar? I always have to trim the end of my captures. I tried the Home button but this doesn't do it.

Hit the power button.

So this glitch has happened to me a couple of times where my phone will vibrate and I’ll hear the tone for getting a new text. But when looking at my notifications there’s no text notification or a new message in iMessage. Happening to anyone else?

Mogwai

So is it all good on the Mini 4? Not seeing many complaints of performance issues for ipads, just phones.
My Mini 4 works reasonably well with iOS11. The battery life seems to be same as before. Gesture animations are a bit laggy through.

Why does only a single episode get played in the podcasts app now? It's super annoying when I just want to let it play for hours on end without interruption. I don't want to manually add episodes to the queue when I could just press play before...

kottila

Girlfriend installed ios 11 on her 7 and now all apps (except apples own) crashes when she opens them. Tried a full restore which didn't help. It's practically a brick now

pbsapeer

Banned
My 6s battery drains so fast now. I've barely used my phone this morning and it's already at 91%.

Also I constantly have the location services arrow in my info bar at the top! Why won't it go away ☹️☹️☹️

holygeesus

Banned
My 6s battery drains so fast now. I've barely used my phone this morning and it's already at 91%.

Also I constantly have the location services arrow in my info bar at the top! Why won't it go away ☹️☹️☹️

Came here to post this exact thing. Same on my SE and no idea what is using it. Great update so far :|

Edit - it was Weather doing it for me. Changing it to 'when using app' removed the icon.

Fliesen

Came here to post this exact thing. Same on my SE and no idea what is using it. Great update so far :|

settings -> privacy -> location services. Whatever item has a solid purple arrow has recently or is currently using location.
Don't forget to check SYSTEM SERVICES all the way at the bottom. (though those don't show an icon in the title bar undless you toggle that on)

The icon in the title bar mirrors said behaviour, as in: if it's solid an app is using or has been using location services recently, if it's just outlined, i think an app might have a geo fence, but isn't really using location. (cmiiw)

Also, while previously, an app could allow you to only set location services as "always" or "never", now there's always the option to say "while using".

edit: yeah, weather app seems a bit wonky, i had a purple arrow - it's a bit overzealous with updating when set to "always" i think. - maybe me looking at my AppleWatch (that has a weather widget on the watchface) triggers a weather update. Which would be ... a lot.

Paragon

Not so far, even from the iTunes Store HDR is only supported on 2017 iPad Pros, 8, 8 Plus, and X. Wonder if there is something else to the screen
I suppose it's possible that they're handling DV/HDR10 in hardware rather than software, but they could easily support HDR on the iPhones 7 by doing the tone-mapping in software if that were the case.

holygeesus

Banned
settings -> privacy -> location services. Whatever item has a solid purple arrow has recently or is currently using location.
Don't forget to check SYSTEM SERVICES all the way at the bottom. (though those don't show an icon in the title bar undless you toggle that on)

The icon in the title bar mirrors said behaviour, as in: if it's solid an app is using or has been using location services recently, if it's just outlined, i think an app might have a geo fence, but isn't really using location. (cmiiw)

Also, while previously, an app could allow you to only set location services as "always" or "never", now there's always the option to say "while using".

edit: yeah, weather app seems a bit wonky, i had a purple arrow - it's a bit overzealous with updating when set to "always" i think. - maybe me looking at my AppleWatch (that has a weather widget on the watchface) triggers a weather update. Which would be ... a lot.

Thanks yeah it was weather. I can't remember what it was set to before though. Actually I recall Weather being dodgy on the last version of iOS for me too, so it's obviously not something they have worked on. I updated both my watch and phone last night and am having more issues than I can remember having any time after software updates. I can't even turn my watch off - holding down the button brings up the option but there is no way to select it.

Ambitious

Wait a minute. I just got a bunch of Skype notifications. I read all the ones in Earlier Notifications, and then deleted them. Instead of just deleting the earlier ones, it got rid all Skype notifications, even the current ones.

FerranMG

Does anybody know if it's possible to open a text file stored in iCloud with different text editors like Google Docs, Pages, or Word?

SOLDIER

My iPhone 7 Plus keeps auto-adjusting the brightness after the update. Is this a bug or some annoying setting that got ticked?

Paragon

Is it just me or does unlocking the phone via resting on Touch ID (and not clicking the home button) not work half the time?
Working every time for me - though I just disabled the option last night, as the new global setting for preview notifications now means there's a good reason to unlock the phone but not immediately open it.

Does anybody know if it's possible to open a text file stored in iCloud with different text editors like Google Docs, Pages, or Word?
It should work via the Files app.

My iPhone 7 Plus keeps auto-adjusting the brightness after the update. Is this a bug or some annoying setting that got ticked?
Auto-brightness was re-enabled after updating, but it's always been on by default.
It is supposed to adapt to your preferences over time, but lots of people seem to prefer to set it manually.

Fliesen

i don't have google docs installed, but i have an .xlsx on my desktop that i could "copy to numbers" on my iPhone.
and a .doc that i could "copy to pages"
via the share sheet.

I would suggest you can do similar things with other third party apps.

FerranMG

It should work via the Files app.

i don't have google docs installed, but i have an .xlsx on my desktop that i could "copy to numbers" on my iPhone.
and a .doc that i could "copy to pages"
via the share sheet.

I would suggest you can do similar things with other third party apps.

I'm not sure this is the functionality I'm looking for.
In a desktop, I can open the same file in different apps, but it's always the same single file.
In an iPad, I guess I can go copying a file from one app to the other, but what I'd like is to have a single file that lives in iCloud, and open it with the app I prefer.

The reason behind this is that I'm considering getting a 10.5 Pro iPad, but I read that I would need to pay for the Office suite. So I'm investigating the alternatives to Word, Excel, and Powerpoint: Google Docs, Pages, etc.
I like Google Docs better than Pages, for instance, but I don't want to store the document I edit with Google Docs in Google Drive, I'd like to store them in iCloud (because I already pay for it).

So, is it possible, for instance, to have in split view Files and Google Docs, and drag and drop a doc stored in iCloud into Google Docs?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My 6S was getting warmer than usual yesterday and battery usage seems worse, but it's all still under observation. Par for the course for these updates though, we'll see after a few days. I'm loving everything else.

Excellent. Always struck me as sketchy that some apps only had always and never.

For some reason my phone (6s) which was working fine last night decided to stop recognizing my fingerprint this morning. I tried rebooting it and then it said that the phone was disabled. Said to connect to iTunes. I did that, and when trying to connect, it just said "the value is missing". So I had to do a factory reset. Glad I pay for that extra iCloud space, otherwise I would have lost a lot of photos.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
iPhone 6 Plus here.

Updated the phone yesterday. Immediately noticed poorer battery performance. In addition, the phone, which was already rather slow in many places and malfunctioned often, seems to be doing all of these same things more frequently. But what miffs me the most is the worse battery life, which was already pretty abysmal on this phone. Even in low power mode it drains unbelievably fast.

Fucking hate this.

Enco

iPhone 6 Plus here.

Updated the phone yesterday. Immediately noticed poorer battery performance. In addition, the phone, which was already rather slow in many places and malfunctioned often, seems to be doing all of these same things more frequently. But what miffs me the most is the worse battery life, which was already pretty abysmal on this phone. Even in low power mode it drains unbelievably fast.

Fucking hate this.

6S+ and been using it since last Tuesday. Battery life is still just as bad if not worse. I barely get through the day when I could sometimes go 2 days...

Never had such poor battery life. By midday I'm below 50%.

Vyer

iPhone 6 Plus here.

Fucking hate this.

If you’re ok with losing your text messages, do a back up and restore as a new phone

Fliesen

iPhone 6 Plus here.

Fucking hate this.

6S+ and been using it since last Tuesday. Battery life is still just as bad if not worse. I barely get through the day when I could sometimes go 2 days...

Never had such poor battery life. By midday I'm below 50%.

care to post a screenshot of your battery stats with the clock symbol ticked - maybe there's an app that somehow doesn't properly hibernate

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
YouTube slaughtered my battery life overnight yesterday. Battery settings said 10.2 hours in background even though I have background refresh disabled for YouTube , I went to bed with 70 percent and had to enable low power mode before 10AM. It accounted for 60 or 70 percent of my usage (24hrs). But everything is back to normal today.

Ambitious

iPhone 5s user here.
With previous iOS updates, I was never quite sure whether it really affected my battery life or not. This time, however, it was immediately obvious. It was bad before, but now it's just abysmal.
There was a time where I never ever had a reason to turn on low power mode, not even once. Now I have to turn it on every time I leave the house - and even then it drains unbelievably fast.

Fliesen

iPhone 5s user here.
With previous iOS updates, I was never quite sure whether it really affected my battery life or not. This time, however, it was immediately obvious. It was bad before, but now it's just abysmal.
There was a time where I never ever had a reason to turn on low power mode, not even once. Now I have to turn it on every time I leave the house - and even then it drains unbelievably fast.

again, it would be really helpful if you guys also shared your battery usage stats.
Not that i don't believe you, but often times it's some buggy app that doesn't go to sleep properly and needs to be fixed - or you realize that you've simply been using your phone a lot.

Top Bottom