• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

I wish I knew, I didn't think I'd face an issue such as battery draining with the latest model.

you and me both, i knew i should followed my instinct. They told me "dont update" and i updated like an idiot. What a huge mistake. Not only did my battery take a huge hit, the fucking thing is buggy as fuck. Embarrassing. If i can find a way to get 10.3.3 back on my phone, im fucking doing it.

Shizuka

you and me both, i knew i should followed my instinct. They told me "dont update" and i updated like an idiot. What a huge mistake. Not only did my battery take a huge hit, the fucking thing is buggy as fuck. Embarrassing. If i can find a way to get 10.3.3 back on my phone, im fucking doing it.

Glad mine's not buggy... Yet, anyway. The battery though, I mean, this is a brand new iPhone 7 Plus, it should last a lot longer.

Have you checked your battery stats to see if it's a rogue app?

Yup, definitely not that.

Feels like the battery is now much better

Me too! iPhone 6 here and it feels like my phone is usable again! Previously my battery would never last more than a day, and now I can easily go a day and a half with regular usage! And the OS feels a tiny little bit slower in some specific places, but faster in others. Safari seems to be much faster and smoother for example!

Enco

care to post a screenshot of your battery stats with the clock symbol ticked - maybe there's an app that somehow doesn't properly hibernate

qU6O89u_d.jpg

Nope. Just crappy battery life. Very little usage. 4 hrs total.

Battery seems to deplete faster on my 6 plus, and the DirecTV app no longer launches, even after reinstalling it.
Edit: Got the app to work again after disabling it as my TV provider in the main setting of the iPhone

Enco

Has Spotify been updated for iOS 11 yet? Wonder if it's not playing nice with the 11 APIs.
No idea. Maybe though. Although as fliesen says safari seems to be a bit crazier.

26% for close to 2 hours of music seems okay.
Safari is way too high with almost 1% per minute...
Good point. Not sure why that is. I don’t really do anything intensive like watching videos. Mainly GAF.

I wish I knew, I didn't think I'd face an issue such as battery draining with the latest model.

You can still downgrade. Backup any data that's important to you, download the 10.3.3 ISPW from https://ipsw.me, go into iTunes, hold down Shift while clicking restore, and select the ISPW you just downloaded. You will lose all your data, but you will end up back at iOS 10.

If you actually want to do this, you need to hurry and take the plunge before Apple stops signing iOS 10. Once that happens, downgrades become impossible.

You can still downgrade. Backup any data that's important to you, download the 10.3.3 ISPW from https://ipsw.me, go into iTunes, hold down Shift while clicking restore, and select the ISPW you just downloaded. You will lose all your data, but you will end up back at iOS 10.

If you actually want to do this, you need to hurry and take the plunge before Apple stops signing iOS 10. Once that happens, downgrades become impossible.

OMG yes doing that now

Im gonna wait for 11.1 or something, and even then i want impressions first. Never again do i upgrade like this. Thanks

FerranMG

Does anybody know if it's possible to open a text file stored in iCloud with different text editors like Google Docs, Pages, or Word?

I'm not sure this is the functionality I'm looking for.
In a desktop, I can open the same file in different apps, but it's always the same single file.
In an iPad, I guess I can go copying a file from one app to the other, but what I'd like is to have a single file that lives in iCloud, and open it with the app I prefer.

The reason behind this is that I'm considering getting a 10.5 Pro iPad, but I read that I would need to pay for the Office suite. So I'm investigating the alternatives to Word, Excel, and Powerpoint: Google Docs, Pages, etc.
I like Google Docs better than Pages, for instance, but I don't want to store the document I edit with Google Docs in Google Drive, I'd like to store them in iCloud (because I already pay for it).

So, is it possible, for instance, to have in split view Files and Google Docs, and drag and drop a doc stored in iCloud into Google Docs?

Bump!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Surely I am missing something. Right?

Is it just me or..?

You don't get the X for recently arrived notifications unless you lock your phone for 5 minutes. But you can delete ALL notifications at once by just 3D touching the X on the "Earlier Today" section.

Pepiope

Question. I use GBoard for my main keyboard. Is there a way where I can use GBoard on the lock screen and when I quick reply to people? Or am I stuck using the Apple keyboard for those circumstances?

JayDub

The Files App is a complete fucking disappointment.

Where's the "On my iPad" for local storage? I have to jump through hoops to get it? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Man, iOS 11 has been a bust for me like some others here. Not only has my battery life taken a hit (iPhone 7), but there’s so many little bugs I’m encountering including:
- wonky AirPod connectivity
- sometimes there’s no “now playing” on the lock screen when listening to podcasts (using Overcast)
- Overcast watch app not reliably controlling phone playback
- apps will randomly stop responding to touch and require a phone reboot
- when I open Overcast, the “play” button doesn’t always respond
- I rebooted last night and lost 2 lines of an iMessage conversation.

Just really left a bad taste in my mouth. Would a restore from backup help?

pswii60

Yeah gonna keep my iPhone 6 on ios10, it's already slow enough. the GM build runs nicely on my ipad air 2 though.
The way iPhone 6 slowed to a crawl since iOS 10 was one of the many reasons I moved over to Android (S8). The stupidly long delay when starting apps that it introduced almost felt intentional to force you to upgrade. Ha, yeah to the competition.

Still, I'm in the market for upgrading my ancient iPad 4, and iOS 11 really does look like a leap forward in that regard, so I might just upgrade sooner than I planned.

I usually do a restore from backup instead of just updating and find this to work out fairly well.

I had to restart my iPhone 6 again after the install process because it was slow and my phone felt really warm. It’s running fine now.

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot tonight. It’s just annoying as hell and taints the whole device for me.

Ambitious

You don't get the X for recently arrived notifications unless you lock your phone for 5 minutes. But you can delete ALL notifications at once by just 3D touching the X on the "Earlier Today" section.

My 5s isn't capable of 3D Touch. Tapping the X above the Earlier Notifications sections clears all notifications, even recently arrived ones, which doesn't make any sense.

SlickVic

Is there a option to make the music playback box in the control center bigger? I know 3D touch can make it bigger, but I mean just having it appear larger on the control center by default.

It looks like I have enough space on my screen to fit a larger version of it, but I'm stuck with this tiny box that's not big enough to tell me how me how much time is left on the current podcast I'm listening to. I've also hit the '30 second forward' button by mistake multiple times instead of pause. This is on a 6s so I imagine it probably works better on the Plus models.

erawsd

The Files App is a complete fucking disappointment.

Where's the "On my iPad" for local storage? I have to jump through hoops to get it? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Yeah its ridiculous. My understanding is that the "on my iPad/iPhone" section only appears if you save a file in an app that is using the api. And even then you still can't create your own folders or save files to that directory. However, you are given free reign to do whatever you want inside the app's folder. So you just take over the "Pages" or "Numbers" folder and turn that into what everyone actually wanted from the files app.

At the very least, it does prove that the Files app is capable of proper file management and that maybe some third party will be able to take advantage of that.

JayDub

Yeah its ridiculous. My understanding is that the "on my iPad/iPhone" section only appears if you save a file in an app that is using the api. And even then you still can't create your own folders or save files to that directory. However, you are given free reign to do whatever you want inside the app's folder. So you just take over the "Pages" or "Numbers" folder and turn that into what everyone actually wanted from the files app.

At the very least, it does prove that the Files app is capable of proper file management and that maybe some third party will be able to take advantage of that.

Yea, I know those tricks. But come on, Apple. How hard is it to create an On My iPad and freedom to create folders?

Gah.

I’m mad because I bought an iPad because I thought it finally had a usable File system. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it.

Quick

Banned
Thanks, I’ll give that a shot tonight. It’s just annoying as hell and taints the whole device for me.

Good luck. I'm not gonna say it's 100% going to solve your problems, but I hope it does.

I had a bad experience when I installed either or both iOS 9 and 10 on my iPhone 6, and both were fixed by a fresh install and a restore from backup. The phone heating up always worried me at first, but it seems to be normal for every clean install of new iOS versions since it eventually cools down.

Paragon

Yeah $50 is a bit much for that mac app. I'll have a look at the iPhone app but boy that price tag is hilarious
I had no idea. It's $5 on iPhone, which is the main device I use for actually managing appointments etc. If you're syncing online, you can still view the calendars in the stock app on iPads, macOS, Windows, and other devices.

Ashhong

Has everyone else noticed that when waking the device, it does this ugly fade in instead of whatever it used to do? Is there a way to change that? Super ugly imo

Guess Who

Banned
Yea, I know those tricks. But come on, Apple. How hard is it to create an On My iPad and freedom to create folders?

Gah.

I’m mad because I bought an iPad because I thought it finally had a usable File system. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it.

The app “Documents” by Readdle acts as a source in the Files app and can save everything completely locally, making it basically function as a local file system if you want that.

FWIW you can also create top-level folders in iCloud Drive. But yeah, no local control yet.

Good luck. I'm not gonna say it's 100% going to solve your problems, but I hope it does.

I had a bad experience when I installed either or both iOS 9 and 10 on my iPhone 6, and both were fixed by a fresh install and a restore from backup. The phone heating up always worried me at first, but it seems to be normal for every clean install of new iOS versions since it eventually cools down.

Sorry to be obtuse but when you say “fresh install and restore from back-up”, do you mean straight up wiping the device to a blank version of iOS 11 and then restoring from a backup when prompted? It’s obviously been a while since I’ve had to deal with something like this!

Top Bottom